This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

My recent experience with employing
« on: August 06, 2021, 04:42:27 pm »
Been looking for someone for ages.

Bloke text me out of the blue so I gave him a trial. Really nice fella, really good laugh, did everything I asked of him, didn't complain. So I took him on.

Week one he blew me out on Tuesday saying his Dad has cancer and he had to go to the hospital. I took that as face value. He promised he wouldn't do it again blah blah blah. I decided to take it as truth. Id given him some branded clothing, he forgot it a couple of times saying he'd left it at his Dads.

Then this Tuesday he text me at 5am saying he's drunk, will be no good to me and I can sack him if I want. Obviously he was taking drugs too. You cant be up at 5am just drinking. Said he would call me. He hasn't called me since or replied to any of my messages or phone calls. I actually think he's blocked my number as WhatsApp messages aren't going through. Real shame as I got on with him well and really annoying as he has branded clothing of mine - 4 polos, one hoodie and shorts, baseball cap.

By coincidence another person text me so I tried him yesterday. Seems ok as a person, but let on that he doesn't stay at many jobs when there is no progression.

He said he'd had his own window cleaning business for 3 years but his technique on the pole wasn't great and he was very slow. His trad work was also pretty poor and took ages. This after saying he was really good as he's a bit OCD! I think he's lying about having his own window cleaning business. He was full of chat: im this, im, that, reliable, good worker etc etc.

Anyway I told him his earnings would be based on the amount of work done.  Got a text this morning saying he's only interested in a flat £100 a day. My targets are reasonable, he should achieve £100 - £120 a day.

Gut instinct is to leave it.

That said Ive found the job so much easier with company. You may recall I was very depressed with working on my own.

Thoughts?

Richard iSparkle

Re: My recent experience with employing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:53:21 pm »
it sounds very frustrating mate. its really difficult when you line work up for an employee and they just quit and leave you with a problem like that.

i have had a lot of help off people on recruiting and employing over my 10 years. julie at concept 20, carrie at oddbods, and john to name the biggest help. i've been employing for 12 years now and have got better as i go

i have found great success recently by...

• getting a great job description and advertising a paid ad on indeed
    paying well (30% of our days jobs)
    ruthlessly ruling out people who dont send in a good job application
    ruling out people who live put of area
    interviewing properly
    work trialling people (unpaid in my case)

i think your success rate offering jobs to people who text you on the hop will be very hit and miss at best

recruiting and employee is just another skill you need to work at over time and improve at as you go. it doesnt take a genius, but you do need to see it as a skill in itself

R
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

simon w

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 05:03:03 pm »
I've been employing since 2004 and have had similar incidents many many times over never take it personally just move on and hire the next one.

Hiring in most industries at the moment is really hard, some of my best employees have been European economical migrants and so many of them have sadly now left the UK. I remember 10-15 years ago work shy Brits moaning that they were stealing all our jobs 🤔

Matt.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 05:04:48 pm »
Don’t let a few loser disheartened u jay ….
I get it all the time with new staff and am constantly looking for extra guys, most who come only last a few hours and I just stop at a bus stop an tell them off they go.

When u think u av found someone good and they turn out to be crap it is a kick in the balls but tomora the sun will rise an it’s a new day so keep advertising and sooner or later u will find someone
I have done paid adverts I have done job centre adverts and it don’t matter we’re u advertise the majority of them are sausages and just eating ur time.
Go round to the lads house who has got ur uniform an knock on his door an tell him u want it back, be firm but fair an take no bull 💩 off them.
But these are the joys of employing people mate it’s a whole different department to just going out and doing ur work.

Good luck and keep looking, or start a young lad up on say £50 a day and train him up yourself

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 05:08:01 pm »
IME for every good one there are about 10 duds. The secret is to get rid of the duds quickly.

simon w

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 05:32:07 pm »
If you still owe him wages keep hold of them until uniform returned in clean exceptable condition, no uniform no wages 😉

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 05:38:49 pm »
Have to say taking on anyone who texts is a no, no - however that's up to you,

We supply uniform, if they leave within 3 months or fail to return it in full then they are charged £80 and this comes out of any salary

Your second chap sound like Nigel... ;D - perhaps you need to get hot water so he can clean properly...

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

jay moley

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
it sounds very frustrating mate. its really difficult when you line work up for an employee and they just quit and leave you with a problem like that.

i have had a lot of help off people on recruiting and employing over my 10 years. julie at concept 20, carrie at oddbods, and john to name the biggest help. i've been employing for 12 years now and have got better as i go

i have found great success recently by...

• getting a great job description and advertising a paid ad on indeed
    paying well (30% of our days jobs)
    ruthlessly ruling out people who dont send in a good job application
    ruling out people who live put of area
    interviewing properly
    work trialling people (unpaid in my case)

i think your success rate offering jobs to people who text you on the hop will be very hit and miss at best

recruiting and employee is just another skill you need to work at over time and improve at as you go. it doesnt take a genius, but you do need to see it as a skill in itself

R

I got nowhere with indeed. My job description was short and to the point. Maybe it needs to be an essay!

jay moley

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 06:23:04 pm »
I get it all the time with new staff and am constantly looking for extra guys, most who come only last a few hours and I just stop at a bus stop an tell them off they go.

When u think u av found someone good and they turn out to be crap it is a kick in the balls but tomora the sun will rise an it’s a new day so keep advertising and sooner or later u will find someone
I have done paid adverts I have done job centre adverts and it don’t matter we’re u advertise the majority of them are sausages and just eating ur time.
Go round to the lads house who has got ur uniform an knock on his door an tell him u want it back, be firm but fair an take no bull 💩 off them.
But these are the joys of employing people mate it’s a whole different department to just going out and doing ur work.

Good luck and keep looking, or start a young lad up on say £50 a day and train him up yourself

Unfortunately I don't have his address otherwise I would have been straight round!

Lesson learned re not having an address or giving them clothing too soon.

jay moley

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 06:23:34 pm »

We supply uniform, if they leave within 3 months or fail to return it in full then they are charged £80 and this comes out of any salary

Your second chap sound like Nigel... ;D - perhaps you need to get hot water so he can clean properly...

Darran

Why do you thinking trying someone that texts is a no no?

BTW I haven't paid him for Mondays work and won't unless he returns the clothes.

jay moley

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 06:24:41 pm »
If you still owe him wages keep hold of them until uniform returned in clean exceptable condition, no uniform no wages 😉

Thats the plan but I don't think he'll even make contact.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 06:24:52 pm »
99% of the time this is what you will get day in day out they either have a drink or substance problem it’s only window cleaning how hard can it be,we’ve worked hard for 3 days I think I was entitled to a day off the list goes on.
They’ve never earned 100 a day in their lives but insist that’s what they should be getting even though they’ve never held down a job for more than 6 months,forget any other criteria to begin with within reason the first thing they will have to show me is that they have bills 💵 that have to be paid and that they have the right morals as far as work ethic goes.
The outline of what you’ve described doesn’t surprise me in the slightest if it was the opposite I’d be more surprised tbh,window cleaning attracts all these types of people always has done.

jay moley

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 06:25:31 pm »
I've been employing since 2004 and have had similar incidents many many times over never take it personally just move on and hire the next one.

Hiring in most industries at the moment is really hard, some of my best employees have been European economical migrants and so many of them have sadly now left the UK. I remember 10-15 years ago work shy Brits moaning that they were stealing all our jobs 🤔

Ive worked with Polish lads on building sites. They graft. Would love one with me on the windows.

Don Kee

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 06:29:12 pm »
How did you employ without having their address?
I assume this is cash in hand then?

Slacky

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 06:30:35 pm »

Darran

Why do you thinking trying someone that texts is a no no?

BTW I haven't paid him for Mondays work and won't unless he returns the clothes.

I agree with Smudger. It’s easy to lie texting. Pikeyish. Conversations with customers via text are a no-no too, unless it’s just the ‘leave your gate open tomorrow sweetheart’.

jay moley

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 07:02:39 pm »

I was paying into his bank account. He'd only done 5 days so was going to make him PAYE after a few weeks.

Don Kee

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 07:28:17 pm »

I was paying into his bank account. He'd only done 5 days so was going to make him PAYE after a few weeks.

In a way that isn’t meant to sound negative, might I suggest maybe adding a little “professionalism” will help you out with employing.

Post an ad for a job, ask for a CV and after an initial “trial” day (or whatever you personally do) don’t mess about, get them on payroll if you think/hope they’re going to work for you longer term etc etc…

The CV and stuff is obviously not needed to teach a guy to clean glass, it’s more of a case of it adds a level of professionalism off the bat.
It’ll shift out a few idiots that apply and makes it actually look like a “proper” job.

If you take it & yourself more seriously, so will they.

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 08:13:04 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have his address otherwise I would have been straight round!

How can you be employing someone without Evan having an address for them ??

jay moley

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 08:17:00 pm »

How can you be employing someone without Evan having an address for them ??

I hadn't taken him PAYE yet. Id only worked with him for a few days. Im new to employing and was desperate. Lesson learned.

jay moley

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 08:18:13 pm »

In a way that isn’t meant to sound negative, may I suggest maybe adding a little “professionalism” will help you out with employing.

Post an add for a job, ask for a CV and after an initial “trial” day (or whatever you personally do) don’t mess about, get them on payroll if you think/hope they’re going to work for you longer term etc etc…

The CV and stuff is obviously not needed to teach a guy to clean glass, it’s more of a case of it adds a level of professionalism off the bat.
It’ll shift out a few idiots that may apply, and makes it actually look like a “proper” job.

If you take it & yourself more seriously, so will they.

I tried asking for a CV and cover note/letter on Indeed and got only rubbish applicants. The CV's were shocking, barely legible in some cases.

I was so desperate when these two came along I just grabbed it with both hands.

Will go back to asking for a CV from now on.