van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

Waste water rebate
« on: September 04, 2021, 08:16:50 pm »
Hi All,
Currently paying £86 per month with Southern water.
This is for personal and business.
I make around 1,500 litres a week.
Got a sub meter so all business litres are recorded.
Up to now I’ve always just paid the cost, but £86 is a lot. And claimed it off my tax.
Do any of you claim a waste water rebate, is it worth it and how do you claim it?
Thanks

Spruce

Re: Waste water rebate
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:17:14 am »
Hi All,
Up to now I’ve always just paid the cost, but £86 is a lot. And claimed it off my tax.
Do any of you claim a waste water rebate, is it worth it and how do you claim it?
Thanks

You need to speak to your water authority as each authority seems to hand this differently.

If you are putting your waste down the drain then you will have to pay the additional sewage portion of the bill. If its going to a soak-away then you could ask for a sewage rebate on that amount. They certainly can't charge you the sewage amount on the pure as you don't put that down the drain - you take it away.

With our local water board they refuse to rebate waste going to sewage. We are on the coast and the rain water from the gutters and sewage go to the same place - they aren't separated as they are inland.  I'm not sure how other windies inland using the same water authority handle this as their sewage is processed before being returned to a local stream.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

combat1

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 08:20:52 am »
Thanks Spruce, hope you are ok.
I think I’ll carry on as I am. Seems horrific to claim.
Many thanks.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:27:04 am »
Thanks Spruce, hope you are ok.
I think I’ll carry on as I am. Seems horrific to claim.
Many thanks.

It could be worth doing. Some authorities just ask you to give them a meter reading once a month. Quick and easy.

If you do a search for "sewage rebate" others have had success claiming to various degrees. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

I'm ok thanks. Life doesn't get easier as you get older but that's so for most of us. Thanks for asking.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Granny

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 08:40:43 am »
Yorkshire water have been good so far they don't require a sub meter. I've had mine at 24% for years.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 08:48:01 am »
I don't pay any sewage costs - cut the water bill in half and I use 4,000 litres most days  - Anglian water came round checked my set up, approved it and refunded all past payments of sewage ( approx 6 months at the time )

Your waste ro water either needs to go into a large tank to water the garden or be used for pressure washing or straight into the garden

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Lee GLS

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 08:56:52 am »
I have to claim mine back from Anglian water. Now it’s setup it’s easy. I just email them a photo every 6 months of my sub meter after I’ve received my bill and the adjust it for the amount according to what I’ve use that period.

colin bird

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 01:13:36 pm »
Hi All,
Thanks

my previous house was with southern and i was charged for water usage and return to sewer,my waste water from my system either went in my pond or on the garden,i had a 4040 ro syetem which i assume you have due to the hard water area you live in
i fitted a sub meter by my garage tap where i fill my system.
they  billed  me six monthly for my water ,when the bill arrived i took acurrent southen water meter reading then the sub meter reading i then phoned them with both readings they then calculate the difference and amend the bill it saved me between five and six hundred a year.
not sure how that will work if you pay monthly.

sine i have moved i dont pay for waste water as the development has its own purification system

combat1

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 03:08:07 pm »
Thanks all.
Sounds like it’s worth asking the question.
I could collect the waste water and reuse it on the garden.
No 40/40 Colin ! 350GPD osmotics unit.
Just changed filters, membranes and added an 11 litre resin vessel- heaven!
I have to say I’ve noticed a big difference in results.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 06:05:40 pm »
I’ve considered this a few times as my water bills are just going up and up.

I’ve discovered that my water company, united utilities, have an actual process to claim this.

(Here is the form for anyone else supplied by united utilities: https://www.unitedutilities.com/globalassets/documents/pdf/8485_6597-non-return-domestic-claim-form2.pdf)

Whether or not the RO waste water is going to the sewer is a debatable point, but the water actually put in my tank definitely isn’t. It just evaporates off the windows and ground, so at least 1/3 of my window cleaning water should have the sewage charge refunded.

It says I might have to pay to get a sub-meter installed. I already have a meter that I bought to measure my consumption (so I could claim it against tax).

Anyone know how much the water companies charge to install one?

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 06:21:19 pm »

I’ve discovered that my water company, united utilities, have an actual process to claim this.

(Here is the form for anyone else supplied by united utilities: https://www.unitedutilities.com/globalassets/documents/pdf/8485_6597-non-return-domestic-claim-form2.pdf)

Whether or not the RO waste water is going to the sewer is a debatable point, but the water actually put in my tank definitely isn’t. It just evaporates off the windows and ground, so at least 1/3 of my window cleaning water should have the sewage charge refunded.

It says I might have to pay to get a sub-meter installed. I already have a meter that I bought to measure my consumption (so I could claim it against tax).

They quoted me £120 but never charged me , I don’t know if that was an oversight or deliberate down hear they have to fit it themselves they won’t allow a normal plumber to do it but in some areas it appears any one can fit it .

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 08:31:23 pm »
They are easy to fit - 3/4 bps threads - meters are available off flea bay from around £40

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

colin bird

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 02:24:17 am »

I fitted my own with southern they never came to  inspect