This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: hot water systems 2
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »
Doesn't matter how hot your water is, it's still gonna freeze on the footpaths under the windows.

not on a spring/summers day! ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »
ive had the quote from oliver and ive accepted it so he ll get back to me tomorrow probably matt.i think they can fit me in sometime in december so itll be an early xmas pressie to myself. 8)

he said they are VERY busy at the moment though.some of the grippa guys have been working night shifts to get through the work lately.

Nice. What power system have you opted for your one man set up?

hi paul.its a battery to battery smart charger.i havent got much of a clue really.basically new vans after 2015 have different alternators on them so normal split charge relays wont work on these so i have to buy a smart charger.so i think what happens is my engine battery will be connected up to the smart charger and then to another battery in the back of the van and that ll run my pump/controller and 9 kw diesel heater.ill probably still have to charge up overnight due to my low mileage but at least it should stop my battery from draining too low when out working( if i can top it up a bit in between jobs and driving to and from work)

Thanks. I meant to be asking which power system you went for the 5 or 9kw one which you said you have the 9kw one. Cool

The smart charger is a good bit of kit. That's what I use due to having a new van too.  I just connect it up over night using the same kit you use when plugging up a motor home or caravan.  Grippa installed the socket inside my van.  So all I have to do is plug it into the van socket and rest up.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

p1w1

« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »
Let us know how it all goes mate and what temperatures you can actually achieve with it.
Yes its expensive, and having looked into it a bit myself after buying the stuff separately then sourcing a cabinet of some sort and organising installing it all (especially  when your not 100% what fittings are needed etc) then  once you've worked out all the costing although there is a  a saving you have to ask yourself is worth all the hassle of DIY when you can get it all done and dusted in a day plus you have the good back up support of Grippamax and you will always be able to ring up and ask any questions if there are any issues.
I will be going down this route with the 9kw version but not till next year now as my new van doesn't come till end of Feb and also will be having a proper baffled tank made for it.
And as you say everyone needs to make a profit.

dazmond

« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2017, 01:58:50 pm »
Will be Interesting to hear how it all goes Daz,

Remember that it’s tax deductible, so that drops down the £4500 to about £3200. Pretty affordable really if it’s going to be reliable and make your working day much easier.

Very tempted myself to be honest.

I’ve just recently purchased a waterworks 700 litres system but I’m missing the hot water from my old immersion.

Keep us posted!

i will jonny.the ruddy hose has been driving me crazy just lately.its like 100m of wire!! >:( ;D

plus when its fitted i wont have to remember to put a heater in the back on freezing nights as they come with a frost stat setting as standard so these heaters will kick in for 10 mins when temp drops to 2c to stop everything freezing.lovely. ;)

dazmond

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:53 pm »
ive had the quote from oliver and ive accepted it so he ll get back to me tomorrow probably matt.i think they can fit me in sometime in december so itll be an early xmas pressie to myself. 8)

he said they are VERY busy at the moment though.some of the grippa guys have been working night shifts to get through the work lately.

Nice. What power system have you opted for your one man set up?

hi paul.its a battery to battery smart charger.i havent got much of a clue really.basically new vans after 2015 have different alternators on them so normal split charge relays wont work on these so i have to buy a smart charger.so i think what happens is my engine battery will be connected up to the smart charger and then to another battery in the back of the van and that ll run my pump/controller and 9 kw diesel heater.ill probably still have to charge up overnight due to my low mileage but at least it should stop my battery from draining too low when out working( if i can top it up a bit in between jobs and driving to and from work)

Thanks. I meant to be asking which power system you went for the 5 or 9kw one which you said you have the 9kw one. Cool

The smart charger is a good bit of kit. That's what I use due to having a new van too.  I just connect it up over night using the same kit you use when plugging up a motor home or caravan.  Grippa installed the socket inside my van.  So all I have to do is plug it into the van socket and rest up.

ive always charged my pump battery up manually by reeling an extension cable to my van and a halfords battery charger with croc clips so the b to b charger will be a new thing for me.i just ordered it with the heater at the same time.hopefully theyll fit it properly for me. ;D

dazmond

« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2017, 02:15:01 pm »
Let us know how it all goes mate and what temperatures you can actually achieve with it.
Yes its expensive, and having looked into it a bit myself after buying the stuff separately then sourcing a cabinet of some sort and organising installing it all (especially  when your not 100% what fittings are needed etc) then  once you've worked out all the costing although there is a  a saving you have to ask yourself is worth all the hassle of DIY when you can get it all done and dusted in a day plus you have the good back up support of Grippamax and you will always be able to ring up and ask any questions if there are any issues.
I will be going down this route with the 9kw version but not till next year now as my new van doesn't come till end of Feb and also will be having a proper baffled tank made for it.
And as you say everyone needs to make a profit.

exactly mate.some guys enjoy hunting around sourcing parts and building one themselves to save a few quid.im not that guy.

plus the heater comes with a 3 year warranty(subject to servicing)

Slacky

« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »
Dad what are the service details? Once a year at Cambridge?

KS Cleaning

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2017, 03:25:41 pm »
How is it plumbed into the diesel tank?  Would that not be classed as a vehicle modification that your insurance will need to be told about ?
My first system was the 9kw  purefreedom one with a hose tapped into the vans diesel tank. When I changed my van 2 years ago I contacted purefreedom to get a quote for removing the system and installing it into my new van. I was told they are no longer allowed to tap into the vehicles diesel tank and the webasto would have to run off a seperate diesel tank. I take it they have changed the regulations again to allow you to draw diesel from the main vehicle tank?

robert mitchell

« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2017, 03:38:24 pm »
For the price your paying Daz im assuming you are getting the 9kw version?

yes rob.i wanted to make sure i could get the water really hot for dirty conny roofs/UPVC cleans etc as there has been reports of guys buying pure freedom  5kw heaters and only getting  warm water at the brush end.id be annoyed if i had spent all that money for warm water.im sure nigel was moaning about his not getting the water hot enough a few years ago but i think he s tweaked his now.

Pure freedom don’t list 5kw anymore , I think for that exact reason .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

robert mitchell

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:29 pm »
How is it plumbed into the diesel tank?  Would that not be classed as a vehicle modification that your insurance will need to be told about ?
My first system was the 9kw  purefreedom one with a hose tapped into the vans diesel tank. When I changed my van 2 years ago I contacted purefreedom to get a quote for removing the system and installing it into my new van. I was told they are no longer allowed to tap into the vehicles diesel tank and the webasto would have to run off a seperate diesel tank. I take it they have changed the regulations again to allow you to draw diesel from the main vehicle tank?

There is no law against drawing from the diesel tank , it’s just not a good idea to tap into the fuel line as modern vans are  so fussy .

GrippaTank will fit a separate pick in the tank itself , that will mean drilling a hole, the pick up pipe will be a few inches above bottom of tank so the heater can’t drain the tank completely .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

dazmond

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2017, 04:22:33 pm »
Dad what are the service details? Once a year at Cambridge?

no idea son until I have it fitted  ;D

Slacky

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »
😀😀😀

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2017, 04:47:49 pm »
Yea you show him who's the Daddy  ;D
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Splash & dash

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2017, 05:44:09 pm »

There is no law against drawing from the diesel tank , it’s just not a good idea to tap into the fuel line as modern vans are  so fussy .

GrippaTank will fit a separate pick in the tank itself , that will mean drilling a hole, the pick up pipe will be a few inches above bottom of tank so the heater can’t drain the tank completely .
When Grippatank fitted mine they teed into the fuel return line to the tank

brianbarber

Re: hot water systems
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2017, 06:06:14 pm »
Regarding fuel lines, it's model dependant, some are in line like mine, some have to have a pipe dropped in to the fuel tank, obviously in line is better as you can run low on fuel, the drop in tank arrangement can be temperamental if you are quite low on fuel.

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Spruce

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2017, 07:02:30 pm »

When Grippatank fitted mine they teed into the fuel return line to the tank

When I fitted my Eberspacher Airtronic diesel heater I plumbed into the return pipe to the tank. I've never had an issue. The return pipe doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the tank just as Webasto (Eberspacher and Webasto are the same company) recommend. So in winter I never let my tank drop below 1/4 incase the pump starts to suck air. Its been faultless for the past 8 years. In winter I try to fill up when I get to half a tank.

I think its generally accepted that they don't plumb into the supply line from the tank to the engine. I heard someone once say that Sprinter vans are a definite no no as the electronics assume a leak.

Lets explore this 'its against the law to tap into the fuel tank' a little further. If it was against the law then virtually every yacht, motor cruiser and canal boat with diesel heaters fitted are all breaking the law. The craft only have 1 fuel tank. But if you fit a diesel heater to a marine craft then its against the law not to use copper piping for the fuel supply. So the way a fitter gets to do the easiest thing is to say it against the law....... Remember when working at height legislation become operational in 2005. How many windies told their customers that they were going wfp because it was against the law to use ladders.

If they fit an extra fuel tank their job is made easier. And they can sell a bit more equipment and make some extra money.  With some vans the diesel tank has to be emptied and dropped to fit a standoff pipe into the top. My question is when they drill the hole how do they catch all the drilling swaff from going into the tank? Greasing the end of the hole saw may catch some but not all. Will it get sucked up into the intake further down the line and cause you issues? Would they spend an extra 20 minutes and remove the inspection cover to catch that drilling swaff?

My Citroen Relay has an inspection cover in the cabin floor to gain access to the fuel pump which is in the tank. If I wanted to fit a standoff I could remove the pump assembly completely from the tank and drill a hole for it into that assembly. This way no drillings get into the tank.
IMHO its much better to plumb into the return line to the tank and keep the van's tank above 1/4 at least.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2017, 07:35:40 pm »
They don’t need servicing that’s rubbish they either work or they don’t the burner will need changing but that’s years down the line,mine was giving me hot water for 10 years on the original burner,I’m not saying yours will but a yearly service is not needed. My fuel pump lasted over 10 years plate exchanger lasted 8-9 years.

NWH

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2017, 07:38:32 pm »
The burner can be changed yourself your also bound to have trouble with hoses within the heater blowing off or becoming loose,you need to familiarise yourself with how it all bolts together or you will be pulling your hair out as I was in the first few years   

dazmond

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2017, 10:19:21 am »
They don’t need servicing that’s rubbish they either work or they don’t the burner will need changing but that’s years down the line,mine was giving me hot water for 10 years on the original burner,I’m not saying yours will but a yearly service is not needed. My fuel pump lasted over 10 years plate exchanger lasted 8-9 years.
So apart from a few fittings that came loose you had virtually nil problems over all them years Nigel?

What about batteries and chargers?do u charge up every night as well  despite having a split relay fitted? As I've heard these heaters are heavy on batteries. I don't want my battery to drain too low (and ruin it while I'm out and about working.)

Thanks

dazmond

Re: hot water systems
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:14 am »
Regarding fuel lines, it's model dependant, some are in line like mine, some have to have a pipe dropped in to the fuel tank, obviously in line is better as you can run low on fuel, the drop in tank arrangement can be temperamental if you are quite low on fuel.

Mr B

What heater have u got brian? Same one? I wouldn't want to be running low on diesel. I'll always make sure I have at least a quarter of a tank left or else I won't get home either!  ;D