Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Missing Link

Re: getting rid of some work and equipment out of my van
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »
im 46 now.ill leave them jobs for young newbies or window cleaners short of work.

And?  I'm 48 next week and I'm at the peak of my physical prowess, having just ran in miles, your age, around the Brecon Beacons at the weekend.

In 11 hours and 10 minutes.

Don't make excuses for your m00bs, Daz.

Just saying like. ;D

(I binned all my backpack access jobs when I went van-mounted)
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:59 pm »
im 46 now.ill leave them jobs for young newbies or window cleaners short of work.

And?  I'm 48 next week and I'm at the peak of my physical prowess, having just ran in miles, your age, around the Brecon Beacons at the weekend.

Just saying like. ;D

you ll probably die of a heart attack next week tosh. ;D

by the way i hate running...seriously...i cant think of a worse way to spend my spare time... :)
price higher/work harder!

p1w1

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 06:21:01 pm »

Just saying like. ;D

Thats some feat

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
There's nothing right or fair about dumping loyal customers, if its to do with safety then a compromise such as a front only clean or similar might be arranged, awkward jobs tend to become a lot less awkward when the moneys right so a price hike may have sorted out the issue.
You may not think you owe your loyal customers anything but at least show them some respect.

sean ive been cleaning these jobs for over 20 years.i cant be arsed anymore mate.its not the money.its having to lump the backpack around through a customers garden,over the gate if their not in to unlock it.if this customers away i have to climb over 2 gates side and back(with a full backpack!)to gain access to these cottages.then im skimping on water and have to trad the ground floor windows.its a pain.i know ill regret it if i dont get rid today.

turned up today and the customers house (i have to go through to get to the cottages )must be on holiday again as BOTH GATES LOCKED so i didnt even attempt to clean them for the last time.thats it now never again.dumped. :)

thats 15 jobs gone over the last 2 months for various reasons(bad payers,messers,died,moved,losing their minds,PITA jobs) ;D

Missing Link

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 07:33:47 am »
thats 15 jobs gone over the last 2 months for various reasons(bad payers,messers,died,moved,losing their minds,PITA jobs) ;D

I reckon winter is the time to dump 'em too.  We normally have a little cull around now.

Elfyn

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 07:36:32 am »
i think over the years ive been too soft with some customers and ive carried on cleaning for them for many years but in the back of my mind im thinking "i cant be arsed anymore".

ive just got to the point where ive got better work to be cleaning (with easier access!)and ive picked up some great new jobs this year.somethings got to give.(i hate telling them though.) ::)roll

with the van i want to keep it simple........tank,pump,reel,heater,poles,a few spare brushes/goosenecks,trad gear,chems and ladders.thats it.
I haven't carried trad gear in my van for many years  ;D

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 07:48:24 am »
There's nothing right or fair about dumping loyal customers, if its to do with safety then a compromise such as a front only clean or similar might be arranged, awkward jobs tend to become a lot less awkward when the moneys right so a price hike may have sorted out the issue.
You may not think you owe your loyal customers anything but at least show them some respect.

sean ive been cleaning these jobs for over 20 years.i cant be arsed anymore mate.its not the money.its having to lump the backpack around through a customers garden,over the gate if their not in to unlock it.if this customers away i have to climb over 2 gates side and back(with a full backpack!)to gain access to these cottages.then im skimping on water and have to trad the ground floor windows.its a pain.i know ill regret it if i dont get rid today.

turned up today and the customers house (i have to go through to get to the cottages )must be on holiday again as BOTH GATES LOCKED so i didnt even attempt to clean them for the last time.thats it now never again.dumped. :)

Your not at all tempted to employ someone for those jobs daz?

Missing Link

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 08:18:25 am »
I haven't carried trad gear in my van for many years  ;D

We have quite a few commercial properties that need their insides done.  And the odd residential customer too.

We still carry ladders for gutter cleans and access too.  I actually like gutter cleans; I find you can price them very well.   

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:17 am »

Your not at all tempted to employ someone for those jobs daz?

what for a couple of jobs on a canal bank.?.......errr...no!why would i mate?

Walter Mitty

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 08:31:13 am »

You lug a backpack over gates. Sod that! I would at least ask discuss uif there is a better way of accessing, such as giving me a gate (or padlock) key.
The up-and-overs were a legacy from the trad cleaning. I was even starting to feel uneasy about them while working from a ladder as there was no way of testing for slipperiness when putting the ladder down the far side (plus a couple of the roofs were very old and not maintained).
My most awkward one at the moment is a backpack job where I walk about 150 metres with it. I don't need to refill. I took it on a year or so back and made good allowance in the price. If I'm safe and I've made price allowance, I'll do it.

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 08:36:23 am »
trad gear is for the odd inside kitchen window on request(usually for a cup of coffee) ;D

some work is not suitable for wfp due to tight space,type of window,inside porches etc

theres always room for a bit of squeegee work.

ladders are essential IMO as there always comes a time where i need them at some point during the week(usually for opening the odd gate).

Walter Mitty

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 08:38:18 am »

If they've been good customers and the problem is about access, I think it's fair to write to them so they can make other arrangements.
I dropped one fairly recently for various reasons that weren't the customer's fault. I wrote to him to say why I felt unable to continue cleaning. It was a £12 job. If it paid well,I could have continued but it was such a ballache, I would have wanted £30 - so I didn't even ask. The job was part of a job lot I picked up from another shiner who was packing up. I dropped (or lost) about 40% of them. It wasn't quality work (is it ever?) but 60% of it is good enough to continue with.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 08:42:46 am »

You lug a backpack over gates. Sod that! I would at least ask discuss uif there is a better way of accessing, such as giving me a gate (or padlock) key.
The up-and-overs were a legacy from the trad cleaning. I was even starting to feel uneasy about them while working from a ladder as there was no way of testing for slipperiness when putting the ladder down the far side (plus a couple of the roofs were very old and not maintained).
My most awkward one at the moment is a backpack job where I walk about 150 metres with it. I don't need to refill. I took it on a year or so back and made good allowance in the price. If I'm safe and I've made price allowance, I'll do it.

the customers whos garden i go through have a villa in spain and they spend more and more time there it seems every year.they pay me when i catch up with them so no problems from them but i cant expect them to give me a key for their gate padlocks(dont forget ill need 2 keys).its extra hassle that i dont need.i cleaned theirs yesterday no problem(i split the ladders either side of their side gate)but left the cottages.

Stoots

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 03:37:49 pm »
I'm surprised if you've been cleaning windows 20 years and are always refining that's you have any PITA jobs left.

I always imagined you doing nothing but cream work in glorious surroundings with plenty of cups of tea and fantastic customers.

Now I've just found out you lump a backpack over 2 Gates, down a muddy old canal bank to 2 cottages and run out of water and have to trad the downstairs  :D

You're no better than the rest of us mortals after all.

robbo333

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 05:27:47 pm »
Daz is a mortal!!!
You'll be telling us next that Father Christmas doesn't exist!  ;D

Seriously though my 4 year old Grandson would go Apesheeeet!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 05:30:23 pm »
I'm surprised if you've been cleaning windows 20 years and are always refining that's you have any PITA jobs left.

I always imagined you doing nothing but cream work in glorious surroundings with plenty of cups of tea and fantastic customers.

Now I've just found out you lump a backpack over 2 Gates, down a muddy old canal bank to 2 cottages and run out of water and have to trad the downstairs  :D

You're no better than the rest of us mortals after all.

i havent now adam.their history now.the main reason i never got rid earlier is these cottages are right near an estate where i have 4 days work and their nice customers(brews etc). :)

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 05:34:24 pm »

If they've been good customers and the problem is about access, I think it's fair to write to them so they can make other arrangements.
I dropped one fairly recently for various reasons that weren't the customer's fault. I wrote to him to say why I felt unable to continue cleaning. It was a £12 job. If it paid well,I could have continued but it was such a ballache, I would have wanted £30 - so I didn't even ask. The job was part of a job lot I picked up from another shiner who was packing up. I dropped (or lost) about 40% of them. It wasn't quality work (is it ever?) but 60% of it is good enough to continue with.

write to them?.....really?

i texted this instead

hi mrs xxxx

im sorry to tell you that i wont be cleaning any of the cottages windows anymore due to the access issue and my ongoing back problems.thank you for your custom over the last 20+ years.best wishes.Darren.

;D

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
just had a phone call!they really dont want me to stop cleaning after all these years!they said that there in the process of buying some land next door so if it all goes through ok  there will be a space for my van!so would i reconsider if it does?i said yes let me know after xmas. ::)roll ;D

also i used to clean all 4 but 2 of them got repossessed but they ve been sold so if i can drive down and clean all 4 from my van ill take them back on. ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »
just had a phone call!they really dont want me to stop cleaning after all these years!they said that there in the process of buying some land next door so if it all goes through ok  there will be a space for my van!so would i reconsider if it does?i said yes let me know after xmas. ::)roll ;D

also i used to clean all 4 but 2 of them got repossessed but they ve been sold so if i can drive down and clean all 4 from my van ill take them back on. ;)

Reminds me of one of my customers. Hes deaf and dumb, lives by himself though works (lip reads) and I clean his aged parents who live a block away.
Ive still got the customer n family but years ago when trad cleaning, he had leaded pattern windows which were a nightmare to clean.  After several years I had enough of cleaning them and spoke to the parents. I explained that due to the design of the pattern, the house took a long time to clean and I would really need to charge about 3 times more to clean them which isnt fair for them and so they will be best employing another cleaner.
I was surprised when they told me they would sort the problem out and they did...... They got new windows put in, minus lead patterns!
(im sure they must have been planning to do so anyway, rather than spending thousands just to keep a window cleaner  ;D)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk