This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bungle

Re: Where to start with aches and pains
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 06:49:09 pm »
How many hours a day do you work to clean those 25/30 houses?

Sound like you are seriously overdoing it to me, that’s not sustainable once you are getting into your 40’s.

About 6/7 hours . 15 mins for lunch then none stop action  ;D

Don't really think much of it, its's 10am now and I've already done 10.

I did 28 yesterday but that included 5 first cleans.

Today I've given myself a lighter one 23 jobs Inc 4 first cleans.

What's your retention rate? I'd guess it's not that good?

I lose maybe 2/3 established customers a year through moving usually. I'd say its very good. Retention rate on first cleans is not as good but that's to be expected lots of messers out there.

If you are suggesting I don't do a good job then you are barking up the wrong tree  if I was getting loads of complaints I'd slow down but I don't.

You've admitted in the past that you're a splash and dash merchant. That's why I asked about your retention rate.

Just wondering what others approach is...

Im not talking about those who wish to employ or grow here, im talking about a sole operator who wants to stay that way...

So its been my target the last 6 months to work 3 days a week and make these days as easy and as profitable as possible. I have got rid of anything that needs more than a 25ft pole, dropped a lot of houses that are under priced or awkward or that i dont like doing. Ive sold off a bit of out of the way stuff. The round isnt perfect but i can now do 300 - 350 a day on my best days, i still have some work to sort and have a bit thats not good enough to hit those numbers.

Anyway, i just wondered for those that are solo, do you just keep ticking away on the same work year in year out with maybe the odd increase or do you actively advertise at  higher prices and start replacing the bottom with cream ?

Just wondering what the best approach is for building  cream 1 man round  ;D Ive never been as happy with work than i have since i started on the 3 day a week idea, its stopped my aches and pains and made me on the whole want to attack each  day and spank off work which is quite unusal for me. Theres still the odd week where i have slacked and worked 4 days but on the whole have managed to stick to my target.

No aches and pains in November and now aches and pains in January. 3 day week in November and bashing out 30 houses a day in January. 🤷‍♂️
We look at them, they look through them.

S.A.J

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 06:52:05 pm »
I’m 37 and starting to feel it! In August I would have been window cleaning for 22 years!

Been trying supplements but always go back to alcohol  ; tonight I’m on 6.2% larger and the aches have gone  :D

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 07:03:46 pm »

Sound like you are seriously overdoing it to me, that’s not sustainable once you are getting into your 40’s.

Some days I'm cleaning 25-30 houses a day in 5 hours no probs and I'm 50 now...they are all virtually next door to each other though with 1 or 2 van moves all day(some are fronts only too though to be fair)...
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 07:13:54 pm »
I’m 37 and starting to feel it! In August I would have been window cleaning for 22 years!

Been trying supplements but always go back to alcohol  ; tonight I’m on 6.2% larger and the aches have gone  :D
I'm 50 and been window cleaning 29 years now...12 of them WFP....

No alcohol for me....my hours are shorter than they used to be....I average around 20-25 hours a week actually physically cleaning...

I'm still working out in the gym but usually only go twice week now with less volume and weight....

I very rarely have any aches and pains...if I do its usually a bit of carpel tunnel syndrome in my right thumb/hand

deeege

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2022, 07:31:40 pm »

Some days I'm cleaning 25-30 houses a day in 5 hours no probs and I'm 50 now...they are all virtually next door to each other though with 1 or 2 van moves all day(some are fronts only too though to be fair)...

Your 30 houses next door to each other can’t even be compared to 30 separate stand alone jobs. It’s night and day.

Getting in and out of the van 30 times, driving to 30 separate jobs, putting pole in van and getting out 30 times, reeling in/out 30 times the list goes on. Sounds like your prices per house are better too.

And this isn’t bashing the stand alone work, most of mine is too, I don’t do anywhere near 30 a day though.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2022, 07:36:33 pm »

Your 30 houses next door to each other can’t even be compared to 30 separate stand alone jobs. It’s night and day.

Getting in and out of the van 30 times, driving to 30 separate jobs, putting pole in van and getting out 30 times, reeling in/out 30 times the list goes on. Sounds like your prices per house are better too.

And this isn’t bashing the stand alone work, most of mine is too, I don’t do anywhere near 30 a day though.

You have got a point Danny!😄

It sounds to me as if Adam is working too hard for his current fitness level...

SB Cleaning

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »

You have got a point Danny!😄

It sounds to me as if Adam is working too hard for his current fitness level...
I just can't see how he's doing it and cleaning to a high standard...
5-10mins on a 3 bed semi is going some, especially in the summer months with all the insect marks and snail trails.

james peters

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 09:29:13 pm »
3 bed semi for me is 4 an hour.    The days of running around like a nutter are over . I am 50
as I get older my only way of increasing my takings is a price increase.
I have recently the past couple of years started render softwashing, its a nice easy boost to each week .

I couldnt do 25 houses a day any more .
Its not sustainable

zesty

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:22 pm »
Adam you must be wedged up to the eyeballs these days then?

Prices are better down here, so 10-15 houses is all I need to do.

But if you’re doing 25-30 odd at £10-15 every day, you’re earning good wonga for way up there in Yorkshire…

Mansion yet?   ;D

dazmond

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 09:50:40 pm »
3 bed semi for me is 4 an hour.    The days of running around like a nutter are over . I am 50
as I get older my only way of increasing my takings is a price increase.
I have recently the past couple of years started render softwashing, its a nice easy boost to each week .

I couldnt do 25 houses a day any more .
Its not sustainable

4-6 an hour depending on extensions and connys for me...

50 is the new 30! ;D

martinw

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2022, 10:03:59 pm »
Re shoulder issues and arms apart from stretches, physio diet and strongly suggest looking at your sleeping habits and position. You would be surprised what proper neck support  for side sleeper can do.  More than 60% shoulder problems comes from incorrect or strained night sleep.  Another thing to consider is acupuncture to release those trapped nerves in your arms.

Stoots

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2022, 11:13:19 pm »

I lose maybe 2/3 established customers a year through moving usually. I'd say its very good. Retention rate on first cleans is not as good but that's to be expected lots of messers out there.

If you are suggesting I don't do a good job then you are barking up the wrong tree  if I was getting loads of complaints I'd slow down but I don't.

You've admitted in the past that you're a splash and dash merchant. That's why I asked about your retention rate.

Im not talking about those who wish to employ or grow here, im talking about a sole operator who wants to stay that way...

So its been my target the last 6 months to work 3 days a week and make these days as easy and as profitable as possible. I have got rid of anything that needs more than a 25ft pole, dropped a lot of houses that are under priced or awkward or that i dont like doing. Ive sold off a bit of out of the way stuff. The round isnt perfect but i can now do 300 - 350 a day on my best days, i still have some work to sort and have a bit thats not good enough to hit those numbers.

Anyway, i just wondered for those that are solo, do you just keep ticking away on the same work year in year out with maybe the odd increase or do you actively advertise at  higher prices and start replacing the bottom with cream ?

Just wondering what the best approach is for building  cream 1 man round  ;D Ive never been as happy with work than i have since i started on the 3 day a week idea, its stopped my aches and pains and made me on the whole want to attack each  day and spank off work which is quite unusal for me. Theres still the odd week where i have slacked and worked 4 days but on the whole have managed to stick to my target.

No aches and pains in November and now aches and pains in January. 3 day week in November and bashing out 30 houses a day in January. 🤷‍♂️

Yep I was doing a 3 day week but soon got bored.

If you look through a lot of my posts you'll see one minute I'm employing then I'm looking at franchising, then im back on my own, then I'm selling work then I'm growing.

I change my mind a lot, I do this with everything in life, hobbies etc. I start something then get bored and do something else. I'm probably bipolar or something. Truth is I don't know what I want from my business and go round in circles.

One thing I have noticed about you though Bungle is you are consistent. You have me beat there... I don't think I've seen a post from you that's helpful you come into threads trying to pick holes and poke rather than  offer any advice.

At least you are consistent at being a bell end.

zesty

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:52 am »
How about trying to get into commercial Adam?

I’ve found it made work/life balance so much better, less hours and more earnings.

High-Tower

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2022, 09:09:32 am »
I'm probably bipolar or something. Truth is I don't know what I want from my business and go round in circles.

I think this is quite common with window cleaners, I’m the same, and know a few others like it too.
On a good day it feels like you could easily run 5 vans and on a bad day you want to put it all on eBay at lunch time!

DJW

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2022, 10:36:53 am »
Why are people bashing out 30 houses a day in their late forties and fifties, what’s the point? Kids should have left home, mortgage should be finished.
As for the berks who want to work in their seventies and beyond you need a mental help not physio!

Bungle

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2022, 11:03:20 am »

If you look through a lot of my posts you'll see one minute I'm employing then I'm looking at franchising, then im back on my own, then I'm selling work then I'm growing.

I change my mind a lot, I do this with everything in life, hobbies etc. I start something then get bored and do something else. I'm probably bipolar or something. Truth is I don't know what I want from my business and go round in circles.

One thing I have noticed about you though Bungle is you are consistent. You have me beat there... I don't think I've seen a post from you that's helpful you come into threads trying to pick holes and poke rather than  offer any advice.

Ok, here's some advice. Stop going round in circles contradicting yourself then I won't feel the need to 'pick holes' 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

Stoots

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2022, 03:17:07 pm »

Ok, here's some advice. Stop going round in circles contradicting yourself then I won't feel the need to 'pick holes' 👍

There is no contradiction.

dazmond

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2022, 06:16:13 pm »
Why are people bashing out 30 houses a day in their late forties and fifties, what’s the point? Kids should have left home, mortgage should be finished.
As for the berks who want to work in their seventies and beyond you need a mental help not physio!

Some people are also old before their time.....the 2 window cleaners I know that are still working in their late 70s look so much younger than their age...

dazmond

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2022, 06:18:09 pm »
I've got 76 jobs pencilled in for next week...I'll easily get them cleaned in 4 short working days.... ;)

SB Cleaning

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2022, 07:21:10 pm »
I've got 76 jobs pencilled in for next week...I'll easily get them cleaned in 4 short working days.... ;)
It's gonna take me 2 days to do 1 house  on Mon and Tues 8)