This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

david mark

Re: New pickup setup
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:43 pm »
Cool set up had many pick up trucks when I lived in Florida

Lee GLS

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »
really don't see the point in using your work vehicle as a family car, if you cannot afford to buy another vehicle then you are doing something wrong

Like I said, they are not for most, but I’ve been using it the last few days and love it, it’s so quick to get started on a house and packup, the angle a hose can be pulled out at is amazing. I need the extra seats as my wife works and I need to pick kids up from school etc.

I could afford a car and a van if I wanted to, but parking is an issue where I live. It ticks all the boxes for my current situation, maybe that will change in the future.

TomCrowther

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:34 pm »
Hi Lee
I have the same colour Ranger, a 2016 model. It carries the weight brilliantly doesn't it? Like there is nothing in the back. Who did the tank for you?

Lee GLS

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:35:11 pm »
Hi Lee
I have the same colour Ranger, a 2016 model. It carries the weight brilliantly doesn't it? Like there is nothing in the back. Who did the tank for you?

Yeah they do carry the weight well, it’s slow with out the weight and just as slow with the weight,  :D   The tank was made by a guy called Neil. He did a brilliant job and made it really quickly, highly recommended.

http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/

TomCrowther

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:13 pm »
Ta.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:46 am »
One thing that was worrying me because the vehicle is so nice it's the hose dragging along the vehicle like on the angle you showed if you pull that forward you got to be careful basically.

Dave Willis

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 12:11:47 pm »
That hosereel is very clever, did you fabricate the bar yourself?

Lee GLS

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
That hosereel is very clever, did you fabricate the bar yourself?

No. The bar is from pure freedom, it a bolt on item, it’s brilliant.

Lee GLS

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:43 pm »
One thing that was worrying me because the vehicle is so nice it's the hose dragging along the vehicle like on the angle you showed if you pull that forward you got to be careful basically.

I never pull it at that angle I was just demonstrating the angle it can go at. Because the hose ree is mounted on the tailgate it’s so far away from the truck you are very unlikely so come into contact with the vehicle

Crystal-clear

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »

I never pull it at that angle I was just demonstrating the angle it can go at. Because the hose ree is mounted on the tailgate it’s so far away from the truck you are very unlikely so come into contact with the vehicle

so say if you have houses behind the rear and at the front 50m apart guess you will just reel down first then walk up answering my own questions!.
but if you had one house from the front say 50m away due to parking would you walk up at the angel and risk damaging the truck or down 50m first then up again sorry hope im making sence!

Lee GLS

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 05:00:07 pm »
I try to always park so that I am pulling the hose away from the back of the vehicle, there are odd occasions when I can’t do this and I pull the hose out first, almost of my work is rural houses so I can park on there property in a position that allows me to just pull the hose straight out and start working.

Dave Willis

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:39 pm »
Lovely set up, I didn’t think the poles would fit in. Have you secured the tank? I reckon the double bulk head would take a fair bit of impact. I looked long and hard at pick ups but the load area always looked too small. Nearly bought a Hilux.

TomCrowther

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 05:33:31 pm »
The Hilux is like a ford Ka inside. It's a ridiculously small cabin. Get a Ford if your going to get one.

Spruce

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 05:38:05 pm »
Very nicely done !

I've used a Ranger Supercab for 8 years and wouldn't use anything else.

Just make sure it's had the oil pump changed and change the oil regularly as they have a habit of going bang.

Has it got the off road pack ?

No off road pack but it has a 2 year for warranty, once that’s up i will be getting a gear type oil pump fitted.

Are they available here now? They were an Australian modification and I don't think it was anything to do with Ford. Had I known they were available here (couldn't find a part anywhere) I would have searched harder.

This rotary vane oil pump Ford fits is another example of planned obsolescence. Engineering best practice says that a rotary vane oil pump works fine  provided the oil is filtered before it reaches the oil pump. On a vehicle engine that's not practical, but no worries, Ford put the oil filter after the oil pump anyway.

Carbon deposits in the sump get drawn up into the oil pump wearing it away like grinding paste. That's good for Ford, because an engine that's not been serviced regularly will suffer premature oil pump failure and possible engine failure as well making the vehicle too expensive to repair.
I changed my oil pump and sump at 90k as a precaution. The oil pump seemed OK on inspection, but another cleaner had oil pump failure on his Citroen Relay at 85k which was a warning for me.

The Australians are saying that the 3.2 diesel engine needs a 10 minute oil change.

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement. They say the timing chain never needs replacing but there are lots of failures at 120k and above.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Lee GLS

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 05:46:11 pm »
Very nicely done !

Just make sure it's had the oil pump changed and change the oil regularly as they have a habit of going bang.

No off road pack but it has a 2 year for warranty, once that’s up i will be getting a gear type oil pump fitted.

Are they available here now? They were an Australian modification and I don't think it was anything to do with Ford. Had I known they were available here (couldn't find a part anywhere) I would have searched harder.

This rotary vane oil pump Ford fits is another example of planned obsolescence. Engineering best practice says that a rotary vane oil pump works fine  provided the oil is filtered before it reaches the oil pump. On a vehicle engine that's not practical, but no worries, Ford put the oil filter after the oil pump anyway.

Carbon deposits in the sump get drawn up into the oil pump wearing it away like grinding paste. That's good for Ford, because an engine that's not been serviced regularly will suffer premature oil pump failure and possible engine failure as well making the vehicle too expensive to repair.
I changed my oil pump and sump at 90k as a precaution. The oil pump seemed OK on inspection, but another cleaner had oil pump failure on his Citroen Relay at 85k which was a warning for me.

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement.

The Australians are saying that the 3.2 diesel engine needs a 10 minute oil change.

The 2.2 have the 10 min oil change as well. The annoying this is ford issued a recall for the transit customs, but the refuse to admit there is a problem with the rangers. Part of the issue is the service intervals are 20k which only add to the problem. Mine has only covered 13k so I’m not worring about it, one the two year warranty is over I will get a gear oil pump fitted, they need a small part of the sum trimming to fit but then you have no worries about it failing or the 10min oil change.

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 07:24:04 pm »
Very nicely done !

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement.

The 2.2 have the 10 min oil change as well. The annoying this is ford issued a recall for the transit customs, but the refuse to admit there is a problem with the rangers. Part of the issue is the service intervals are 20k which only add to the problem. Mine has only covered 13k so I’m not worring about it, one the two year warranty is over I will get a gear oil pump fitted, they need a small part of the sum trimming to fit but then you have no worries about it failing or the 10min oil change.

Ford did a recall on the Transits 2011 through to 2013. Landover followed and also did a recall.
Citroen and Peugeot don't know anything about oil pump failures. They quietly decided to replace/ repair when a failure happened. The motorhome forums are full of horror stories.
As I said, my oil pump looked fine and the inside of the oil pan was clean. This van was annually serviced by Peugeot, so regular servicing using the correct oil paid dividends. The other van I mentioned didn't have a full service history.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »
Wait a minute is there something wrong with the Rangers  ???
If I was to get one I would really like the ranger

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 10:09:58 pm »
Loved my 2005 ranger supercab, the perfect vehicle. Unfortunately sold it for a berlingo. Didn't fit on drive well and a bugger to park on an inner city round plus I'm getting nearly twice the mpg now. Still miss it, drove so much better especially with the weight.

EandM

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 11:15:44 pm »

The oil pump issue is still, well an issue, despite Ford modifying the design.
Of course, Ford also refuse to admit that there was ever a problem with the 2.2 and 3.2 Ranger engines going bang so anything that you've heard must just be anecdotal.
And the Group Action Page on Facebook is just a coincidence too -as are the Ford Technicians on the Ranger Forums who are fitting about four new oil pumps per day.

The course of action, as outlined above, is just to get it changed for a proper gear driven pump - either the Australian type or other.

Aside from that they're very good and have become the best selling truck in the UK.

One very annoying issue is the lack of a rear limited slip diff on the newer models (2011 onward) along with underbody protection. If you don't go off road then it's fine - but I do and it isn't.

An off road pack / rear locking diff is available as an option but most don't have it - a bit daft really as it was only an extra £300.

The ridiculous part is that all of the older Mazda built Rangers (99-11), like mine, had this as standard and are far more usable on and off road in stock form.

Ford call it progress...apparently.

Also, the 2.2 and 3.2 are now history and replaced with a more Polar Bear friendly 2.0 single or twin turbo.
They don't seem bad at all - how long they'll last of course is another matter.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 09:11:56 am »

The oil pump issue is still, well an issue, despite Ford modifying the design.
Of course, Ford also refuse to admit that there was ever a problem with the 2.2 and 3.2 Ranger engines going bang so anything that you've heard must just be anecdotal.
And the Group Action Page on Facebook is just a coincidence too -as are the Ford Technicians on the Ranger Forums who are fitting about four new oil pumps per day.

The course of action, as outlined above, is just to get it changed for a proper gear driven pump - either the Australian type or other.

Aside from that they're very good and have become the best selling truck in the UK.

One very annoying issue is the lack of a rear limited slip diff on the newer models (2011 onward) along with underbody protection. If you don't go off road then it's fine - but I do and it isn't.

An off road pack / rear locking diff is available as an option but most don't have it - a bit daft really as it was only an extra £300.

The ridiculous part is that all of the older Mazda built Rangers (99-11), like mine, had this as standard and are far more usable on and off road in stock form.

Ford call it progress...apparently.

Also, the 2.2 and 3.2 are now history and replaced with a more Polar Bear friendly 2.0 single or twin turbo.
They don't seem bad at all - how long they'll last of course is another matter.
Wow well you and spurce should start up window cleaning mechanics advice services lol.

I really really really like the look of the ranger realistically I probably would consider buying around 2016 but now I'm worried!.
How about the Mitsubishi then ?