Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee GLS

New pickup setup
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:31:56 pm »
Away from all the can we can’t we work I finished setting up my pickup. I know most don’t like them but I needed a family vehicle and have always wanted a pickup, don’t know why, I’m really happy with it. The range of angles I pull the hose out is brilliant, I can fit my SLX 22 and 35 in the back, it’s a tubeless set up and a custom 500 L tank

https://youtu.be/qY5mxR9Mg6E

Smudger

Re: New pickup setup
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:35:08 pm »
Good job mate

Looks a nice set up you should be well pleased

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:26 pm »
Looks very nice well done ideal for a duel purpose vehicle, didn’t you have a fiat Doblo ????

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:48:44 pm »
Very nice mate, and a nice day for shooting the video, a perfect day. Oh sorry you’re Lee Reed, not Lou Reed🤩

alank

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:26:05 pm »
Nice job Lee👍
I use an l200 and used a Navara before that.I love the flexibility of using a dual purpose vehicle find pickups so easy to work from. It's a smart motor are you going to have any vinyl signs put on?

Lee GLS

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:52 pm »
Nice job Lee👍
I use an l200 and used a Navara before that.I love the flexibility of using a dual purpose vehicle find pickups so easy to work from. It's a smart motor are you going to have any vinyl signs put on?

No just going to leave it plain.

alank

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:47 pm »
Totally agree its smart as it is I didn't have mine done either mine is just bog standard white though  ;D yours definitely looks the business 👍

Crystal-clear

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:56:26 pm »
Looks amazing I really had this idea to do the same thing but I realise that van is so much more practical!. Plus I'm so bad at DIY why would have probably cost me a small fortune to pay someone!.
Personally I would like to have a roof rack
Oh the payload must be beautiful is it 1200?.
That back is completely waterproof as well no water Going no where.
How much did it cost you to it's basically the tank being 500l?
Which pick up have you got some of us some pictures if you like how cool it looks generally.

wazzz

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 08:58:20 pm »
Really nice Lee .
I love the hose reel setup . I just sent a link to my mate , he’s just got a pickup and ready to fit it out .
Thank you for the video

Lee GLS

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:31:15 pm »
Looks amazing I really had this idea to do the same thing but I realise that van is so much more practical!. Plus I'm so bad at DIY why would have probably cost me a small fortune to pay someone!.
Personally I would like to have a roof rack
Oh the payload must be beautiful is it 1200?.
That back is completely waterproof as well no water Going no where.
How much did it cost you to it's basically the tank being 500l?
Which pick up have you got some of us some pictures if you like how cool it looks generally.

The rear canopy does have roof bars on it so I can carry a ladder when I need, I just hate having to climb up to take it off that’s why I wanted one inside.

The payload is around 1200, you don’t notice it in the back at all

The custom tank was £460 delivered.

It’s a for ranger. I will try an post some pics but they never seem to upload properly on here.

spudd

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:32:00 pm »
Nice set up that mate

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:35:56 pm »
I considered a pickup a while ago and I liked the idea of using the one vehicle as a work and family toy.

But ultimately what put me off is that number 1 pick up trucks are so expensive I could buy a decent van and a car for the same price I could buy a decent truck. And with running costs being higher on tax, fuel and insurance its wasn't too much more expensive to run 2 vehicles.

Second reason is you would have to take all the gear out to put family stuff in when required.

But it still love pickups and I'm always tempted to buy one... Yours looks a nice setup.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 09:40:40 pm »
Whats the 4 gang extension for ? and the black plug on the end of it to the left , looks like its lead goes in to your tank ?

Lee GLS

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 10:02:32 pm »
Whats the 4 gang extension for ? and the black plug on the end of it to the left , looks like its lead goes in to your tank ?

I have a static filtration system but no static tank, so to make it automatic I’ve used the 3 phase plug to run power to the socket to charge the battery, back pack and a heater for the winter, but it also was the wire that run back to the shut off solenoid on my static ro. So basically I can plug everything in, and when the tank is full it will shut off the booster pump and water supply just like it would if it’s fitted inside a van.

EandM

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 12:09:21 am »
Very nicely done !

I've used a Ranger Supercab for 8 years and wouldn't use anything else.

Just make sure it's had the oil pump changed and change the oil regularly as they have a habit of going bang.

Has it got the off road pack ?

Lee GLS

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 08:25:37 am »
Very nicely done !

Just make sure it's had the oil pump changed and change the oil regularly as they have a habit of going bang.

No off road pack but it has a 2 year for warranty, once that’s up i will be getting a gear type oil pump fitted.

Scrimble

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 09:23:50 am »
really don't see the point in using your work vehicle as a family car, if you cannot afford to buy another vehicle then you are doing something wrong

supernova77

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 01:13:51 pm »
Love it 👍

I’ve always wanted a pick up too 😊

Andy

High-Tower

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
really don't see the point in using your work vehicle as a family car, if you cannot afford to buy another vehicle then you are doing something wrong
Or it’s just more practical. Doing the school run, no need to go home and swap vehicles.
Although I’d sooner have a kombi van than a pickup. As you’ve got more internal load height, so you can have tank and reels in the bottom and family crap can go on top.

EandM

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 02:35:52 pm »

It depends entirely on your situation.

As a single dad it means I can drop the kids off at school and then work 9-3.

Couldn't do it if I had to go home and swap vehicles.

david mark

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:43 pm »
Cool set up had many pick up trucks when I lived in Florida

Lee GLS

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »

Like I said, they are not for most, but I’ve been using it the last few days and love it, it’s so quick to get started on a house and packup, the angle a hose can be pulled out at is amazing. I need the extra seats as my wife works and I need to pick kids up from school etc.

I could afford a car and a van if I wanted to, but parking is an issue where I live. It ticks all the boxes for my current situation, maybe that will change in the future.

TomCrowther

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:34 pm »
Hi Lee
I have the same colour Ranger, a 2016 model. It carries the weight brilliantly doesn't it? Like there is nothing in the back. Who did the tank for you?

Lee GLS

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:35:11 pm »
Hi Lee
I have the same colour Ranger, a 2016 model. It carries the weight brilliantly doesn't it? Like there is nothing in the back. Who did the tank for you?

Yeah they do carry the weight well, it’s slow with out the weight and just as slow with the weight,  :D   The tank was made by a guy called Neil. He did a brilliant job and made it really quickly, highly recommended.

http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/

TomCrowther

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:13 pm »
Ta.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:46 am »
One thing that was worrying me because the vehicle is so nice it's the hose dragging along the vehicle like on the angle you showed if you pull that forward you got to be careful basically.

Dave Willis

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 12:11:47 pm »
That hosereel is very clever, did you fabricate the bar yourself?

Lee GLS

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
That hosereel is very clever, did you fabricate the bar yourself?

No. The bar is from pure freedom, it a bolt on item, it’s brilliant.

Lee GLS

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:43 pm »
One thing that was worrying me because the vehicle is so nice it's the hose dragging along the vehicle like on the angle you showed if you pull that forward you got to be careful basically.

I never pull it at that angle I was just demonstrating the angle it can go at. Because the hose ree is mounted on the tailgate it’s so far away from the truck you are very unlikely so come into contact with the vehicle

Crystal-clear

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »

I never pull it at that angle I was just demonstrating the angle it can go at. Because the hose ree is mounted on the tailgate it’s so far away from the truck you are very unlikely so come into contact with the vehicle

so say if you have houses behind the rear and at the front 50m apart guess you will just reel down first then walk up answering my own questions!.
but if you had one house from the front say 50m away due to parking would you walk up at the angel and risk damaging the truck or down 50m first then up again sorry hope im making sence!

Lee GLS

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 05:00:07 pm »
I try to always park so that I am pulling the hose away from the back of the vehicle, there are odd occasions when I can’t do this and I pull the hose out first, almost of my work is rural houses so I can park on there property in a position that allows me to just pull the hose straight out and start working.

Dave Willis

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:39 pm »
Lovely set up, I didn’t think the poles would fit in. Have you secured the tank? I reckon the double bulk head would take a fair bit of impact. I looked long and hard at pick ups but the load area always looked too small. Nearly bought a Hilux.

TomCrowther

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 05:33:31 pm »
The Hilux is like a ford Ka inside. It's a ridiculously small cabin. Get a Ford if your going to get one.

Spruce

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 05:38:05 pm »
Very nicely done !

No off road pack but it has a 2 year for warranty, once that’s up i will be getting a gear type oil pump fitted.

Are they available here now? They were an Australian modification and I don't think it was anything to do with Ford. Had I known they were available here (couldn't find a part anywhere) I would have searched harder.

This rotary vane oil pump Ford fits is another example of planned obsolescence. Engineering best practice says that a rotary vane oil pump works fine  provided the oil is filtered before it reaches the oil pump. On a vehicle engine that's not practical, but no worries, Ford put the oil filter after the oil pump anyway.

Carbon deposits in the sump get drawn up into the oil pump wearing it away like grinding paste. That's good for Ford, because an engine that's not been serviced regularly will suffer premature oil pump failure and possible engine failure as well making the vehicle too expensive to repair.
I changed my oil pump and sump at 90k as a precaution. The oil pump seemed OK on inspection, but another cleaner had oil pump failure on his Citroen Relay at 85k which was a warning for me.

The Australians are saying that the 3.2 diesel engine needs a 10 minute oil change.

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement. They say the timing chain never needs replacing but there are lots of failures at 120k and above.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Lee GLS

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 05:46:11 pm »
Very nicely done !

Are they available here now? They were an Australian modification and I don't think it was anything to do with Ford. Had I known they were available here (couldn't find a part anywhere) I would have searched harder.

This rotary vane oil pump Ford fits is another example of planned obsolescence. Engineering best practice says that a rotary vane oil pump works fine  provided the oil is filtered before it reaches the oil pump. On a vehicle engine that's not practical, but no worries, Ford put the oil filter after the oil pump anyway.

Carbon deposits in the sump get drawn up into the oil pump wearing it away like grinding paste. That's good for Ford, because an engine that's not been serviced regularly will suffer premature oil pump failure and possible engine failure as well making the vehicle too expensive to repair.
I changed my oil pump and sump at 90k as a precaution. The oil pump seemed OK on inspection, but another cleaner had oil pump failure on his Citroen Relay at 85k which was a warning for me.

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement.

The Australians are saying that the 3.2 diesel engine needs a 10 minute oil change.

The 2.2 have the 10 min oil change as well. The annoying this is ford issued a recall for the transit customs, but the refuse to admit there is a problem with the rangers. Part of the issue is the service intervals are 20k which only add to the problem. Mine has only covered 13k so I’m not worring about it, one the two year warranty is over I will get a gear oil pump fitted, they need a small part of the sum trimming to fit but then you have no worries about it failing or the 10min oil change.

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 07:24:04 pm »
Very nicely done !

Next is timing chain and sprocket replacement.

The 2.2 have the 10 min oil change as well. The annoying this is ford issued a recall for the transit customs, but the refuse to admit there is a problem with the rangers. Part of the issue is the service intervals are 20k which only add to the problem. Mine has only covered 13k so I’m not worring about it, one the two year warranty is over I will get a gear oil pump fitted, they need a small part of the sum trimming to fit but then you have no worries about it failing or the 10min oil change.

Ford did a recall on the Transits 2011 through to 2013. Landover followed and also did a recall.
Citroen and Peugeot don't know anything about oil pump failures. They quietly decided to replace/ repair when a failure happened. The motorhome forums are full of horror stories.
As I said, my oil pump looked fine and the inside of the oil pan was clean. This van was annually serviced by Peugeot, so regular servicing using the correct oil paid dividends. The other van I mentioned didn't have a full service history.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »
Wait a minute is there something wrong with the Rangers  ???
If I was to get one I would really like the ranger

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 10:09:58 pm »
Loved my 2005 ranger supercab, the perfect vehicle. Unfortunately sold it for a berlingo. Didn't fit on drive well and a bugger to park on an inner city round plus I'm getting nearly twice the mpg now. Still miss it, drove so much better especially with the weight.

EandM

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 11:15:44 pm »

The oil pump issue is still, well an issue, despite Ford modifying the design.
Of course, Ford also refuse to admit that there was ever a problem with the 2.2 and 3.2 Ranger engines going bang so anything that you've heard must just be anecdotal.
And the Group Action Page on Facebook is just a coincidence too -as are the Ford Technicians on the Ranger Forums who are fitting about four new oil pumps per day.

The course of action, as outlined above, is just to get it changed for a proper gear driven pump - either the Australian type or other.

Aside from that they're very good and have become the best selling truck in the UK.

One very annoying issue is the lack of a rear limited slip diff on the newer models (2011 onward) along with underbody protection. If you don't go off road then it's fine - but I do and it isn't.

An off road pack / rear locking diff is available as an option but most don't have it - a bit daft really as it was only an extra £300.

The ridiculous part is that all of the older Mazda built Rangers (99-11), like mine, had this as standard and are far more usable on and off road in stock form.

Ford call it progress...apparently.

Also, the 2.2 and 3.2 are now history and replaced with a more Polar Bear friendly 2.0 single or twin turbo.
They don't seem bad at all - how long they'll last of course is another matter.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 09:11:56 am »

Of course, Ford also refuse to admit that there was ever a problem with the 2.2 and 3.2 Ranger engines going bang so anything that you've heard must just be anecdotal.
And the Group Action Page on Facebook is just a coincidence too -as are the Ford Technicians on the Ranger Forums who are fitting about four new oil pumps per day.

The course of action, as outlined above, is just to get it changed for a proper gear driven pump - either the Australian type or other.

Aside from that they're very good and have become the best selling truck in the UK.

One very annoying issue is the lack of a rear limited slip diff on the newer models (2011 onward) along with underbody protection. If you don't go off road then it's fine - but I do and it isn't.

An off road pack / rear locking diff is available as an option but most don't have it - a bit daft really as it was only an extra £300.

The ridiculous part is that all of the older Mazda built Rangers (99-11), like mine, had this as standard and are far more usable on and off road in stock form.

Also, the 2.2 and 3.2 are now history and replaced with a more Polar Bear friendly 2.0 single or twin turbo.
Wow well you and spurce should start up window cleaning mechanics advice services lol.

I really really really like the look of the ranger realistically I probably would consider buying around 2016 but now I'm worried!.
How about the Mitsubishi then ?

Lee GLS

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 10:13:05 am »

Wow well you and spurce should start up window cleaning mechanics advice services lol.

I really really really like the look of the ranger realistically I probably would consider buying around 2016 but now I'm worried!.

You will be fine with a 2016 model provided it has full service history as the newer pump are much better. Or you can get an FAI gear pump for £60 and it’s around 4 hours labour to fit so not too much money for peace of mind.

EandM

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2020, 04:47:26 pm »

:)

I just like to know what I'm dealing with as money is limited due to circumstances.

Despite it being an issue that should never have existed, It wouldn't put me off buying a newer (Ford as opposed to Mazda) Ranger but I'd ignore anything Ford said about the oil pump issue and just replace it with a proper one.
The extra length of the newer Supercab bed would be a big help to me and the improvement in power, economy and drivability would be most welcome.
The off road ability just as isn't as good and as I go off road every day this would be an issue.
Used locking diffs can be bought and fitted but for most people, I'm sure it works fine.

I originally started off looking for an older L200 but found that they had a great number of issues that I couldn't afford to live with. Some of them managed 300k+ without any problems at all. Others died on eBay at about 60k.

The older Rangers aren't really prone to anything, except now rust as many of them are up to 20 years old.

Don't know much about the newer L200 except that they have class leading ride quality due to coil springs at the rear - which also results in a payload of about 500 kg, which makes it a bit hopeless.

EandM

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2020, 04:50:04 pm »

You will be fine with a 2016 model provided it has full service history as the newer pump are much better. Or you can get an FAI gear pump for £60 and it’s around 4 hours labour to fit so not too much money for peace of mind.

I think the issue may stem from the current Ranger being an Australian designed and built truck (other places build them too) and having a 20k mile first oil change.

I'm sure that if it lives somewhere fairly warm that might be ok.
Over here, where it's often cold, the oil life isn't anything like as long.
The original pump might be fine with 5-8k change intervals but it's a rubbish design and I really couldn't afford to take the risk.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 01:04:06 am »
So I test drove a 3.2 66 2017 plate today.
Amazing drive.

Some questions if it's okay!
So one worry I can see with yours is no tray on the floor? Should that bed chip you'll have rot issues?

I would like a 650 tank 2 reels like yours one electric how does the 35 footer fit as space is less
Will a 650 fit okay:?

How are you liking working from it being a few days now?
Who fixed it all in was it just you? Do the usual companys supply and fit to pick ups also?
Love how the reels are on the tale but can that damage the hinges? as hose reels can weigh quite a bit.

There isnt a bulkhead like in Van's just for extra protection? Or does the end of the tray bed act as one?

Is the 3.2 way to much more on fuel then the 2.2
I heard the 2.2 can have some problems so I'm off put.
I must have a roof rack and rear cover ofcourse however if I cant find with how much extra to put on I guess best to buy with both on?
Might as well get the euro 6 so 2017? I was thinking and 3.2 but dont wana be roasted on fuel

hank jr

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 11:05:37 am »
Away from all the can we can’t we work I finished setting up my pickup. I know most don’t like them but I needed a family vehicle and have always wanted a pickup, don’t know why, I’m really happy with it. The range of angles I pull the hose out is brilliant, I can fit my SLX 22 and 35 in the back, it’s a tubeless set up and a custom 500 L tank

https://youtu.be/qY5mxR9Mg6E

I've got the same set up. I've got 3 kids and misses who can't drive....whats the point in paying for 2 vehicles?

TomCrowther

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2020, 04:11:54 pm »
Amazing drive.

So one worry I can see with yours is no tray on the floor? Should that bed chip you'll have rot issues?

I would like a 650 tank 2 reels like yours one electric how does the 35 footer fit as space is less

Who fixed it all in was it just you? Do the usual companys supply and fit to pick ups also?
Love how the reels are on the tale but can that damage the hinges? as hose reels can weigh quite a bit.

There isnt a bulkhead like in Van's just for extra protection? Or does the end of the tray bed act as one?

I must have a roof rack and rear cover ofcourse however if I cant find with how much extra to put on I guess best to buy with both on?
Might as well get the euro 6 so 2017? I was thinking and 3.2 but dont wana be roasted on fuel
Do not, under any circumstances, buy the 3.2 litre engine. It can't go round corners any faster than the 2.2 and everyone who buys one wishes they had bought the 2.2.

robbo333

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2020, 05:14:08 pm »
Nice set up Lee. I'd be well chuffed with that.

I used to run a Toyota Hilux Vigo (not for window cleaning) and loved it.

I've got a Hiace now, plus I also do pressure washing, soft washing, blah blah blah. The add ons are doing well, so I feel kind of ...stuck!

To be honest, i'd ditch all the add ons and get a vehicle like yours.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Crystal-clear

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2020, 09:42:57 pm »
Amazing drive.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy the 3.2 litre engine. It can't go round corners any faster than the 2.2 and everyone who buys one wishes they had bought the 2.2.
Thanks for the heads up however I hear that that from the traders the 3.2 version is a lot better ?

TomCrowther

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:35 pm »
My buddy runs a garage and gave me no doubt which one to have. He also said the 3.2 value plummets out of sight.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 08:12:49 am »
My buddy runs a garage and gave me no doubt which one to have. He also said the 3.2 value plummets out of sight.
Right so I'm getting conflicting information I remember last time I thought about this and I test drove a Mitsubishi Barbarian much prefer the ranger now.. but I ended up buying nothing because everytime I asked about it they were problems here and problems there and just replaced with van.

So the dealer that I speak to at the moment by no means is desperate for sale he tells me he can get me a 2.2 if I want one but he's recommending the 3.2. I'm going to call him and tell him what you said
If there's anything else I should know of please let me know

Lee GLS

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 10:42:11 am »

If you go on the Facebook ranger groups, most go for the 3.2 as it has more power and economy if virtually the same and the all love them, I went for the 2.2 as they were cheaper, and thought it may be better on fuel, The engines are pretty much identical apart from the 3.2 being a 5 cylinder. Neither engine have problems specific to its capacity, they generally suffer the same problems regardless of wether it’s a 3.2 or 2.2.

As has been said before the pre 2015 suffer from oil pump failures from 2016 on they seem to have sorted it.

They all have minor common faults like the ad blue light not going off after refilling, this is because they get run too low and the sensor crystallises over, they all also get through abs sensors which bring up a variety of dash lights, but is not a big issue to fix

I personally love my truck and setup, I’m absolutely thrilled with it, but it has cost me a fortune. You really need a custom tank to maximise the space inside, the canopy’s are not cheap unless you find a second had one, mine was £2300.

I have dampers and spring assisters on my tailgate so it soft opens and makes it easier to lift it shut,

I personally think a pickup is really only suitable for 1 operator, but with the right reels and tank it could of course be used with 2, but you loose the little space you have in the back because of the extra reel.

You can fit a 35ft pole diagonally across, it fits nicely.

I took the bed liner out of mine as everything slides about and it surprising how much space it takes, every CM counts really. I have painted it with protectakote so there is not risk of future rusting.

I fitted it all out myself.

Hope I’ve answered all your questions crystal

Crystal-clear

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »

If you go on the Facebook ranger groups, most go for the 3.2 as it has more power and economy if virtually the same and the all love them, I went for the 2.2 as they were cheaper, and thought it may be better on fuel, The engines are pretty much identical apart from the 3.2 being a 5 cylinder. Neither engine have problems specific to its capacity, they generally suffer the same problems regardless of wether it’s a 3.2 or 2.2.

As has been said before the pre 2015 suffer from oil pump failures from 2016 on they seem to have sorted it.

They all have minor common faults like the ad blue light not going off after refilling, this is because they get run too low and the sensor crystallises over, they all also get through abs sensors which bring up a variety of dash lights, but is not a big issue to fix

I personally love my truck and setup, I’m absolutely thrilled with it, but it has cost me a fortune. You really need a custom tank to maximise the space inside, the canopy’s are not cheap unless you find a second had one, mine was £2300.

I have dampers and spring assisters on my tailgate so it soft opens and makes it easier to lift it shut,

I personally think a pickup is really only suitable for 1 operator, but with the right reels and tank it could of course be used with 2, but you loose the little space you have in the back because of the extra reel.

I took the bed liner out of mine as everything slides about and it surprising how much space it takes, every CM counts really. I have painted it with protectakote so there is not risk of future rusting.

Yeah thx!.
So if you had a 3.2 how much more fuel a week do you think you would spend ?
Based on what you're saying 3.2 is totally fine
Where did you secure the battery £2300 ain't bad!

EandM

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 03:13:02 pm »
Right so I'm getting conflicting information I remember last time I thought about this and I test drove a Mitsubishi Barbarian much prefer the ranger now.. but I ended up buying nothing because everytime I asked about it they were problems here and problems there and just replaced with van.

So the dealer that I speak to at the moment by no means is desperate for sale he tells me he can get me a 2.2 if I want one but he's recommending the 3.2. I'm going to call him and tell him what you said
If there's anything else I should know of please let me know

I'd go with everything Lee said.

The Ranger Forums are full of people with 3.2 who really love them. Saying that the 2.2 is perfectly good at what it does and has plenty of power in its own right.

If you were doing a lot of towing then the 3.2 is probably better suited but for general stuff, including window cleaning, I'm sure the 2.2 is fine.

The difference in mpg is likely to be fairly negligible and the VED, being commercial is the same on both.

Both engines have now been phased out in favour of the 2.0 single and bi-turbo and, pre-virus, there was a rush to get a 3.2 whilst stocks last.

The 2.0 bi-turbo seem to be very good but longevity is doubtful as it's working 65% harder for the same bhp than the 3.2.

As a point of balance: The 3.2 makes around 200 bhp and the 2.2 between 150 and 170 depending on age.
My highly reliable, daily workhorse and rather elderly 2.5 Ranger makes 107 bhp and I've never found it lacking in any way.

TomCrowther

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 03:15:15 pm »
Amazing drive.

Thanks for the heads up however I hear that that from the traders the 3.2 version is a lot better ?
That’s because they can’t shift them and see you as a way to get rid of one.

Lee GLS

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2020, 03:35:53 pm »

Yeah thx!.

Looking at the figures on the FB forums the 2016 on Rangers seem to be better on fuel, my 2015 2.2 is poor. On a steady run it struggles to make 32mpg using it for very local work this week it was showing 23mpg.  On FB the new 2.2s seem to easily get high 30’s on a run and low 30ish running around and the 3.2 seem similar.

I can’t guarantee these figures are accurate though as everyone’s computer could rear incorrectly

EandM

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2020, 04:46:31 pm »

Yeah thx!.

Looking at the figures on the FB forums the 2016 on Rangers seem to be better on fuel, my 2015 2.2 is poor. On a steady run it struggles to make 32mpg using it for very local work this week it was showing 23mpg.  On FB the new 2.2s seem to easily get high 30’s on a run and low 30ish running around and the 3.2 seem similar.

I can’t guarantee these figures are accurate though as everyone’s computer could rear incorrectly

I've seen forum figures up into the low 40s which is very impressive. I've also seen 3.2 owners towing at 16 mpg!
Scary.

I'm guessing most of the high mpg's are from trucks doing higher speed work and running nearly empty payloads ?
Also from late 2015 they're nearly all limited to commercial speed limits which would have a further improvement on the mpg.

Low 30's for yours sound excellent and in my geriatric Mk2 I rarely average much more than 24 mpg.

windowswashed

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2020, 05:17:14 pm »
I've a question, how do you secure the other pole whilst your tailgate is open to would be thieves whilst you are out of sight of your pickup?

Lee GLS

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »
I've a question, how do you secure the other pole whilst your tailgate is open to would be thieves whilst you are out of sight of your pickup?

I close the top opener and lock the truck then there is no way to remove the pole

Crystal-clear

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »

I close the top opener and lock the truck then there is no way to remove the pole

Wow amazing.
I can see more space for the second reel on the right!
The 3.2 seems to be going for about £15500 average miles + vat a 2017 the one I test drove.
Your one is prob about 12k+ vat
Here's the thing a good doblo with 1k payload small for tight spaces £4600+ vat. The vat doesbt bother me as I'll have It off set againts vat bill but
It's about £10,000 more ... so I start back tracking can pay for either.. but I struggle to justify it and keep on going back to Van's!!! I start convincing myself its over kill yet love the ranger.

EandM

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2020, 03:35:22 pm »

Wow amazing.
The 3.2 seems to be going for about £15500 average miles + vat a 2017 the one I test drove.
Here's the thing a good doblo with 1k payload small for tight spaces £4600+ vat. The vat doesbt bother me as I'll have It off set againts vat bill but
It's about £10,000 more ... so I start back tracking can pay for either.. but I struggle to justify it and keep on going back to Van's!!! I start convincing myself its over kill yet love the ranger.

There've been a couple of 2013 plate double cabs with sensible miles for around the £7.5k mark. The current situation has had a massive impact on vehicle prices.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2020, 08:28:09 pm »

Wow amazing.

There've been a couple of 2013 plate double cabs with sensible miles for around the £7.5k mark. The current situation has had a massive impact on vehicle prices.

Is that when the shape became new? What are the brackets?

EandM

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2020, 12:22:13 pm »
The new shape (Ford made Ranger) appeared in 2011 and it's known as the T6 in 2.2 or 3.2

The older Ranger (Mazda made) ran from 1999-2011 as a 2.5 initially and then a 3.0 later.

For the build, the Mazda is better.