This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

harleyman

Are shiners getting lazy
« on: April 09, 2019, 02:21:21 pm »
Seems to me that  some shiners are getting lazey in that if a gate is locked  and it is easy to get  over they don't bother don't get me wrong I don't if it's a big  gate  I've just picked up a few  New jobs  where the shiner as refused to do the job these Wernt big gates 4ft at best lm 57 and I still find my self getting over small gates.must be the younger shiners only  used to the pole.not like us old timers lol

Splash & dash

Re: Are shiners getting lazy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:35:36 pm »
We no longer climb over any gates , if it’s locked it’s not done , especially if employing  people you need to have a risk assessment in place and for us that won’t allow staff to climb over a gate .

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:44:37 pm »
Nope.  Agree with splash and dash.

It's customers responsibilty to leave gate unlocked if you have arranged the date with them.  If left locked, only front gets cleaned. Simple.

If you climb over a gate and you damage it you are going to get the blame.

I once climbed over a gate many years ago only to be pounced on by the police after a neighbour reported me trying to break in.

Also I remember seeing someone on this forum who said a customer wanted to charge him with trespass after he climbed over his gate even though he was a client.   
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:09:26 pm »
More the fool for climbing over and especially not a young chicken anymore!
Gates are not designed to be climbed and certainly most are not supported adequately for this to happen.
Anyone climbing over fences are normally criminals etc as these are the only times that gates are really climbed over.

Now when i traf i would split the ladders and go up and over as no weight is on the gate etc. However I no longer use ladders and i text the customers the night prior. Now if they cant be bothered to unlockna gate, the ownership is on them as I have done my part to let them know. So I will clean what I can and charge 75% of full charge.  However some will still charge full price and i dont blame them. We can do no more than let the customer know we are coming. Its the owners who are lazy
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:12:19 pm »
One may consider that if a householder deliberately leaves a side gate unlocked that their home insurance is jeopardised if burgled. Personally i never encourage custards to compromise their home security by leaving a gate open for me.   

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:00 pm »
We no longer climb over any gates , if it’s locked it’s not done , especially if employing  people you need to have a risk assessment in place and for us that won’t allow staff to climb over a gate .

you couldnt get over a gate anyway.....your too large.....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 03:27:33 pm »
if the customer forgets i normally  still hop the gate....its easy if you have a 2 section ladder or a little step....

i hate doing half a job.....

Dry Clean

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:33:04 pm »
Iv got over many gates over the years but have never climbed on one yet, that said I don't do it now because I no longer need the work, I did try the front only option but it ended up in more arguments so I no longer take on customers who lock their gates.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 03:36:34 pm »
One may consider that if a householder deliberately leaves a side gate unlocked that their home insurance is jeopardised if burgled. Personally i never encourage custards to compromise their home security by leaving a gate open for me.

oh please!.... ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:42:14 pm »
im finding more and more customers over the last few years getting locks for their gates.....its a sign of the times....a few of my customers have had guys trying to smash their doors in at 3am in the morning to get their keys to nick their golf GTIs,mercedes,etc....scumbags.... >:(

some gates are nigh on impossible to get over so its fronts only if their too difficult to get over with a ladder....

KS Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 03:55:11 pm »
In the 30 years that I’ve had house insurance I have never been asked by any insurance company if I have locks on a side gate!

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »
Like many, im sure, i have keys for gates and locks. Access codes, whilst others wil leave a key somewhere so I can lock back up and post a key through letter box.
So alternative arrangements can be made rather than scrambling over the gate to possibly breaking the gate or causing a personal injury
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:25 pm »

Lol are you serious ??? Compromise there house security 😂😂😂😬 it’s a garden gate the house doors and windows are the security not a gate , won’t make the slightest difference to insurance

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 04:07:07 pm »
Now if they cant be bothered to unlockna gate, the ownership is on them as I have done my part to let them know.
Do you get ownership if they leave the gate unlocked, then? 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 04:14:40 pm »
Now if they cant be bothered to unlockna gate, the ownership is on them as I have done my part to let them know.
Do you get ownership if they leave the gate unlocked, then?

Theres no responsibility in terms of security to the household due to me asking for a gate to be unlocked. Obviously the owner of the property can choose to unlock the gate for me or not. No one is forcing them to do so.

However, when it has been agreed upon that I will communicate with said owner to inform them of my due visit to the property for the intent of cleaning the rear windows. Then I have fulfilled my part of the agreement. Part of that understanding is, after upon receiving such communication and no access has been organised then a percentahe fee will be applied. However the owner can, if desired to do so, let me know if hes away and to leave the rear clean etc etc etc.   
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jonboywalton75

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
if the customer forgets i normally  still hop the gate....its easy if you have a 2 section ladder or a little step....

i hate doing half a job.....

No way am i getting the ladder off to go over a gate.
I dont carry a ladder anyway😁
If it's locked i charge at least 2 thirds maybe even full price
If the custie forgets it's on their head.
Climbing is for mugs 😁

cleaniac

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 05:00:04 pm »
As i give all my customers the date of the clean, the full amount is payable regardless if access was left available or not.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 05:06:08 pm »
No climbing over gate

one, its a problem with H&S and staff
two, we did climb over a gate a few years ago - no damage but the customer went ape because we had climbed over, so now custards are told from day one if the gate is locked with a padlock or lock it will need to be unlocked or we are given a key or the combination.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 05:15:32 pm »
Well I'm older than the OP and my guidelines (to myself) for gates is ...

1. Never text beforehand
2. I have a couple of keys and the combinations to a dozen gates that are kept locked.
3. I have a handful of customers where I use a small "gate ladder" (6ft long cut down top section with ladder mitts) to reach over and slide the bolt(s) with a cuphook thingy on a pole.)
4. I have a handful of customers where the gate/wall is strong enough for me to use my gate ladder to get over easily - and with their permission.
5. I have one customer who thinks I have a skeleton key to get in his gate whereas a quick flick to the side means I can lift it past his pathetic gate stop and open it.  ::)roll ;D
6. Locked gates, or linked properties with access only when the custy is in are fronts only and backs on request - usually by them asking me first and leaving the gate open.

The one exception to all this is a group of 5 detached houses adding up to about £100 with some gates are locked and where there is a disabled lady whose house and garden is like Fort Knox,  where I text one neighbour beforehand and he tells the rest that "the window cleaner" is coming tomorrow.

He arranges access and collects money from those that aren't going to be and pays me in so I don't mind texting first, though often he contacts me just before I am due to get the exact day.

It's a game of three halves!

Shrek

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:27:44 pm »
I had a night out a while back with a few lads and decided to call it a night around 10pm . Got home and someone was smashing my girlfriends back doors in, the guy bolted when he saw me. Just shows it can happen at any time of the day