This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Re: Fed up with job
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
I'm 60 and been on the glass for years. I used to think that I would be able to have the drive and vision to do this until I drop! However as I was approaching 60 last year I gave myself a reality check and came to the conclusion that I wasn't enjoying it as much as  I used to although I take lots of holidays and weekends away I suddenly realised that I don't want to do this full time until I die!
So I've recruited a family member to come on board with me he's currently a truck driver and needs to change his lifestyle for the sake of his family life etc so his energy and enthusiasm will be good. As for me I'll still be working but just part time on the glass with more time for marketing my business and more free time but this time knowing that I'll still have an income coming in regardless of where I am in the world or if I'm ill etc.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
i bumped into an old trad guy today....i thought he was 71 but he s 74 now!he s been window cleaning since he was 18 and looks years younger than his age,albeit part time i might add......but he would put some of you younger lads to shame!(including me!) ;D ;D

i worked 1015am -315pm today......only the first hour was wet weather then it cleared up....i skipped one job (cos customer in hospital) and dumped 2 jobs(messers) and cleaned 2 jobs from tomorrows work....

so all in all not a bad days work cleaned......i didnt break any records but sometimes its just about plodding on and putting one foot in front of the other on days like today..... ;) :)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:45 pm »
What happened to storm Gareth? It’s very cloudy here this morning, and been raining overnight, but no storm. Wish it would hurry up, I don’t want to have to go out and clean windows today.

its coming overnight tonight.....its absolutely peeing it down(and cold)here.......BUT its forecast to brighten up by late morning so ill be out and will get my scheduled work cleaned.....

im raring to go.....i cant remember the last time i didnt want to go out and get my work cleaned.......what are you gonna do if you dont work?sit at home moaning about the weather on here losing money?ill guarantee you ll feel WORSE than just going out and cracking on with it.....

unless of course your health is suffering?how do you feel physically?worn out?frazzled?if you do then maybe a days rest will do you good......

have a good day mate..... :)
You hit the nail on the head there. Yes I am burned out , tbh it wouldn't matter if I was making 200 quid a day, as someone said earlier if your heart's not in it any longer, money doesn't come in to the equation.😒

sounds like you could do with a holiday mate......

dazmond

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 03:33:28 pm »
i overheard 2 guys in the gym last night discussing jobs,one said to the other..."its great money at that place,£11 an hour!"i just smiled......

£22k a year for a 40 hr week.......packing warehouse.....thats considered good money where i live..... ::)roll

aztec

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 06:17:33 pm »
would you honestly want to travel to the same place, same time, same face sitting opposite you ,same routine for breaks, same conversations every day, same screen to look at, same mundane view from the window ,same commute home .....i think not, mate , you are one of the lucky ones every day new challenge new location

Dry Clean

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
i overheard 2 guys in the gym last night discussing jobs,one said to the other..."its great money at that place,£11 an hour!"i just smiled......

£22k a year for a 40 hr week.......packing warehouse.....thats considered good money where i live..... ::)roll

Ooooooog

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »
If you don't get depressed doing this job then you need to see a doctor!

This.

zesty

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2019, 07:20:02 am »
Window cleaning is no doubt, BORING.

But, it pays well for short hours. I try to think about the money and the extra time at home to keep me grateful.

I do wish I’d learned a trade as young lad though. Perhaps a sparky.

There’s good money in some of those trades. My plumber does £250 a day. And charges around £4K for a bathroom refit which takes him 2-3 weeks max.

Still, we can earn that window cleaning, and it’s far less agro than being a plumber!

dazmond

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2019, 07:57:54 am »

But, it pays well for short hours. I try to think about the money and the extra time at home to keep me grateful.

There’s good money in some of those trades. My plumber does £250 a day. And charges around £4K for a bathroom refit which takes him 2-3 weeks max.

Still, we can earn that window cleaning, and it’s far less agro than being a plumber!

its never too late to learn....you could train as an electrician if you wanted........

all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:04 am »
I'm 60 and been on the glass for years. I used to think that I would be able to have the drive and vision to do this until I drop! However as I was approaching 60 last year I gave myself a reality check and came to the conclusion that I wasn't enjoying it as much as  I used to although I take lots of holidays and weekends away I suddenly realised that I don't want to do this full time until I die!
So I've recruited a family member to come on board with me he's currently a truck driver and needs to change his lifestyle for the sake of his family life etc so his energy and enthusiasm will be good. As for me I'll still be working but just part time on the glass with more time for marketing my business and more free time but this time knowing that I'll still have an income coming in regardless of where I am in the world or if I'm ill etc.

Don't know if you're still reading this Klean but I'm similar age to you and thinking similar to you. With your new worker is he employed or sub-contracting at the moment? What is the longer term plan (as in next couple of years?)

As you may recall I had my son-in-law employed for me for about four years and I'm wondering about doing the same again with a view to having my business ticking over and me working (even more) part time on the tools.
It's a game of three halves!

cleaniac

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:50 am »

A close friend of mine is a plumber, he tells me is a nightmare keeping up with all the latest legislation.

His son was going to go into the same trade, but has started up window cleaning.

Lol

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 08:22:23 am »

its never too late to learn....you could train as an electrician if you wanted........

all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)

Those were your only goals? Blimey.

Granny

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 10:31:14 am »
"all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)"

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 12:35:45 pm »

Wow, and here's me saying Dazmond is usually right on a post yesterday
Ahhh well🙄

Slacky

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....

The only drums you've played with are the two bongos between your legs.

You haven't slept with lots of women. Give it a rest....

SB Cleaning

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:18 pm »
all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....

The only drums you've played with are the two bongos between your legs.

You haven't slept with lots of women. Give it a rest....
;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 04:35:15 pm »

Those were your only goals? Blimey.

yep......im still playing drums but just the one woman these days! ;)

Klean07

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:26 pm »

Don't know if you're still reading this Klean but I'm similar age to you and thinking similar to you. With your new worker is he employed or sub-contracting at the moment? What is the longer term plan (as in next couple of years?)

As you may recall I had my son-in-law employed for me for about four years and I'm wondering about doing the same again with a view to having my business ticking over and me working (even more) part time on the tools.

Hi,
I started him on the self-employed route as I didn't want to get into the complications of actually employing him. Its working so far thankfully. Long term would be to put another van on road with me just do marketing but still taking a wage which would probably be my pension.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 11:04:18 am »
I had a good on Wednesday, no windows, started off with a tea stain removal on a carpet, then cleaned the seats on a coach, and finished off with a short driving job on the coach. ( not the same one I was cleaning seats on 😮). If I could do this every week it would suit me. Bit of window cleaning, bit of jet washing, bit of carpet cleaning and a bit of coach work. That would do me.
Cheers Rich

Lee Smith

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »
I started up a carpet cleaning business before I started window cleaning and I can say for certain that window cleaning is a much easier and more profitable business. Main reason is that with window cleaning, its constant repeat business every 4 weeks and zero outgoings on advertising if you don't want too, with carpet cleaning you have to spend £££ every week looking for your next job as people might get carpets cleaned every 18 month or so if you're lucky,  it will take years and years to build a carpet cleaning business into a decent income. I soon realised carpet cleaning wasn't for me and started up window cleaning and its without doubt the best thing I've done, good income for a pretty stress free job.