Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Fed up with job
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:12:15 pm »
Im totally sick of window cleaning now. Done it 30 years and the winters are starting to take a toll on my joints. I now have problems with neck, back. shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles. My heart isnt in it any more, last year I started a carpet cleaning business which has failed to take off. Since starting in September, I have had a total of 8 jobs. Whether to carry on trying or give up and sell the gear I dont know. Done the leaflets, church mags , newspapers. .twitter and Facebook, all this generated 2 jobs. One from the paper and one from a flyer. The rest habe been from existing window cleaning customers.
Cheers Rich

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: Fed up with job
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »
I think we all feel the same at times, the older I get the less tolerant to cold weather I get. It's not a very taxing or exiting job after all but....... it pays well for short hours. I only do about  30 hours a week these days- which helps.
Comfortably Numb!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:01 pm »
Do you do add ons like pressure washing, fascia/gutters etc

I enjoy doing the add ons I would go mad doing windows all the time it does get very boring.

mike1986

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:12:44 pm »
Do you work alone? If so I would focus on building enough work to have someone with you every day. I’ve found it’s made a huge difference to my happiness in the job.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:00 pm »
For your aches and pains why not try out a regular sports masseur?

Stick on some music, a podcast or an audiobook to help time pass easier.

Also try mentally transporting yourself to how you would feel in another more stressful job, with longer hours.  You may feel relief when you come back to earth.

Finally, book a nice holiday to look forward too.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

andyM

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »
Chin up.
Spring is just round the corner!
One of the Plebs

johnny bravo

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 05:06:27 pm »
you don't say how old you are

sell some work and do less hours a week.        £sss  per hour window cleaning are one of the best going .    3 day week  will give you plenty of time to try other things.       Jet washing the spare days.     good manly fun holding the lance in your hands.   blasting that muck away

dd

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »
I think anyone who plans to do this job a long time needs to put in place a retirement plan.

It helps to do this fairly early on.

Mine is simple.
1. Pension investments (SIPP)
2. Isa investments
3. Equity released from house (selling and moving to smaller house in cheaper area)

I have been window cleaning 31 years and could probably retire tomorrow if I wished (would have to live a simple life though).

I find working towards my retirement plan helps motivate me to keep going as the end is in sight and i have options e.g work less or stop entirely.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 05:33:25 pm »
I’d recommend a massage - it certainly helps the body when tired.

With regards to the cc biz - I’ve been told it takes at LEAST a year before it starts to even pay for itself - that info comes from 2 diff Enti people I know that carpet clean, so it’s still early days and tbh from the prices I’ve seen on the cc board (and been quoted myself) I dont know how they make a living

Perhaps, depending on circumstances take on a youngish lad to train up, would give you a chance to focus more on carpets if that’s what you want or be out working when you can’t

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 05:45:01 pm »
I think we all feel the same at times, the older I get the less tolerant to cold weather I get. It's not a very taxing or exiting job after all but....... it pays well for short hours. I only do about  30 hours a week these days- which helps.

Hit the nail on the head......I do the same....Even less hours some weeks.....

Personally I don't think we ve ever had it so good in this game with ultra lightweight  WFPs,round software,hot water systems and electronic payments.....its a lot easier than ladder work and pays a hell of a lot more....

I might feel different if I suffered with aches and pains...but i don't and I've been window cleaning 27 years......

price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:53:40 pm »
This weather is the worst to work in.....cold windy wet weather....it'll soon change to warmer times ,lighter nights and  much more pleasant easier working days...

I think your mad to try carpet cleaning......surely you 've built up a great round of repeat window cleaning customers,no advertising needed apart from sign written van,easy......no heavy cleaning machines needed and no going into customers houses!bliss!😀

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 06:00:41 pm »
Do you work alone? If so I would focus on building enough work to have someone with you every day. I’ve found it’s made a huge difference to my happiness in the job.

I found the opposite....I absolutely hated having someone working my round with me...

Shrek

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 06:11:31 pm »
It has been difficult recently with the weather, was lovely and warm in February and now it just seems to Chuck it down everyday!! Hailstones today 😩
Tomorrow is supposed to be nice 😀
Look into investments , something that brings in a bit of dosh each month so all your wage doesn’t come from window cleaning, it will make life a lot easier

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 06:18:17 pm »
Yeh window cleaning is pretty poope when you do it every day.

Ive been fed up of it for a while, cant wait to get home as soon as i get to first house.

I think as a sole trader you end up building the thing most of us were trying to escape which is a job.

Thats all it is when you get busy, just a job, have to drag yourself out of bed everyday to go clean some glass, quite often in miserable weather.

Having a week off is more stressfull as it just piles up so you have to keep ploughing on.

Good news is you can change it, sell some work off or employ or just pack it in altogether.

As long as you have a plan and a way out it shouldnt really be a problem. My goal is to get a full timer in so i can go back to being a part timer  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:56 pm »
It's a great job though!short hours,good money,virtually stress free and very flexible to fit in with your lifestyle.......

......it could be a lot worse!.......you could be  a carpet cleaner! ;D ;D ;D

Every other job I've ever had has been a lot worse than window cleaning in regards to money earnt and hours worked!

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 06:58:20 pm »
Not that I would recommend it, but having other stressful things in your life makes going to work like an holiday. 😂😂

However, like many who have been cleaning glass for a while, it does become tedious and boring after a while. For me, switching from trad to wfp just over 3 yrs ago brought a new leash of life to it. However I also added jet washing n soft washing to my cleaning services which breaks it up nicely.
But the main thing for me that helps, is actually slowing things down a little.  I used to be proud with how fast n efficient I could work and how many houses I could clean in a day. Yet because I know I csn get my work done within a certain allotted time, i know I can slow down and take coffee breaks etc. I also enjoy speaking with the customers and having a coffee with some of them as well.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »
I think I may well have slowed down too much  ;D ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »
That said , I do seem to be focusing and enjoying making things to do with window cleaning a lot more than actually cleaning , maybe that is my get out , I think I would have to keep maybe 2 days a week to keep my hand in and test my poop  ;D ;D ;D

tony day

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:13 pm »
Im totally sick of window cleaning now. Done it 30 years and the winters ate starting to take a toll on my joints. I now have problems with neck, back. shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles. My heart isnt in it any more, last year I started a carpet cleaning business which has failed to take off. Since starting in September, I have had a total of 8 jobs. Whether to carry on trying or give up and sell the gear I dont know. Done the leaflets, chirch mags , newspapers. .twitter and Facebook, all this generated 2 jobs. One from the paper and one from a flyer. The rest habe been from existing window cleaning customers.
I Personally think Window Cleaning is a Head Fu#k. The same Customers every month talking Bullsh#t, chasing Money owed, the long drown out Winter, keep looking at the Forecast day in day out. I've been doing Window Cleaning for 20 year's and i'm only 35! The people who say they love it must be very Mentally ill, or starved of stimulation as a Child!

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »
Cue Dazmond  ;D ;D ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 09:11:41 pm »
It's a great job though!short hours,good money,virtually stress free and very flexible to fit in with your lifestyle.......

Every other job I've ever had has been a lot worse than window cleaning in regards to money earnt and hours worked!
Just not the most mentally stimulating job though is it  ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 10:13:02 pm »
In response to your questions and suggestions, Im coming up for 52, work alone. don't want to employ. cant afford to pay someone and pay their holiday sick pay pension and employers liability insurance. I promoted my jet washing and conni roof cladding fascia washing but only had 2 jobs from that too. £400 for a petrol jet washer has paid me back 150, so money lost there too. I work casual part time driving coaches, but wouldn't want to do it full time,too much sitting around waiting. Can't take holiday as wife work's in a school, son doing exams and daughter at uni.No hols til Easter. Seen an osteopath about my neck which has sorted it very well.
Cheers Rich

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:57 pm »
Im totally sick of window cleaning now. Done it 30 years and the winters ate starting to take a toll on my joints. I now have problems with neck, back. shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles. My heart isnt in it any more, last year I started a carpet cleaning business which has failed to take off. Since starting in September, I have had a total of 8 jobs. Whether to carry on trying or give up and sell the gear I dont know. Done the leaflets, chirch mags , newspapers. .twitter and Facebook, all this generated 2 jobs. One from the paper and one from a flyer. The rest habe been from existing window cleaning customers.
I Personally think Window Cleaning is a Head Fu#k. The same Customers every month talking Bullsh#t, chasing Money owed, the long drown out Winter, keep looking at the Forecast day in day out. I've been doing Window Cleaning for 20 year's and i'm only 35! The people who say they love it must be very Mentally ill, or starved of stimulation as a Child!

Really?.......Nope I don't know what your talking about! ;D

You don't know your born!FAR WORSE JOBS YOU COULD BE DOING!!!!

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:53 pm »

Just not the most mentally stimulating job though is it  ;D

I don't need to be mentally stimulated mate.....certainly not at work....I like to let my mind drift.... ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 10:38:02 pm »
I agree to a certain extent, that it does your head in. I work about 30 35 hours a week and make not great, but not crap money, trouble is it doesn't go far nowadays. Plus its the cold that gets to me. 
Cheers Rich

windowswashed

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:17 pm »
It's not a rewarding job being a lone worker. Weather seems to be getting more extreme each year.  If you're running your business successfully like a proper business maybe you're doing too much and need to take a step back and figure out how you are going to manage remaining in this business long term. For me its about taking time away from window cleaning once I've completed my jobs.  All work and no play can lead to depression, it sneaks up if you let it, I don't. I make plans and keep to them regardless of everything else. Routine is good, but a break is rewarding

RPCCS

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:48 pm »
Yes its run as a proper business, not just as a beer money scheme😉. I just want a change now, I was 22 when I started, initially it was an income for a couple of years until something else came along. Nothing did, and here I am almost 30 years later. Even if I could do a bit of jet washing and a bit of carpet cleaning and the odd day on the coach, as well as the windows, each week, I would be happier
Cheers Rich

nathankaye

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 11:30:45 pm »
I agree to a certain extent, that it does your head in. I work about 30 35 hours a week and make not great, but not crap money, trouble is it doesn't go far nowadays. Plus its the cold that gets to me.

Would i be wrong to say that your doing the same customers that youve had for many a years?  As im taking it you must have an established long term rounds.
Perhaps break the mould and leaflet drop in more affluent areas and canvass a couple of days later and build a new round and replace some of the old baggage?  New work, possibly newer higher prices and new people to get to know, conbined with easier ways to collect payment!  May bring  a bit more life into it?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 12:23:19 am »
I thought about building a round somewhere warmer.
But have you seen the tds of the water in Syria?  :o

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 06:56:46 am »
I love cleaning windows all day. It probably stems from my parents putting the swing to close to the wall when a child.

John Mart

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 07:16:04 am »
Listen to audiobooks on Audible.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 07:18:52 am »
On another note.  Maybe take a visit to see your doc to make sure you're not showing early signs of depression mate.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 07:24:55 am »
If you don't get depressed doing this job then you need to see a doctor!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:28 am »
I love cleaning windows all day. It probably stems from my parents putting the swing to close to the wall when a child.
;D

RPCCS

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:49 am »

Would i be wrong to say that your doing the same customers that youve had for many a years?  As im taking it you must have an established long term rounds.
Perhaps break the mould and leaflet drop in more affluent areas and canvass a couple of days later and build a new round and replace some of the old baggage?  New work, possibly newer higher prices and new people to get to know, conbined with easier ways to collect payment!  May bring  a bit more life into it?
Nathan, good advice, but not for me. I dont want to clean windows any more. Getting fresh work, better paid or not wouldn't change the way I feel. Its a cjange of job I need, not a change of area/customers.
Cheers Rich

robbo333

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:30 am »
If you want to do more jet washing or carpet cleaning, do what I did.
I designed a leaflet with all my other services on and gave it to each of my customers.
I'm getting quite a good response from it.
Send me your email and I'll send you a copy.
If you like it, send me some jet washing and carpet cleaning pics and i'll make a copy for you.
As they say in Egypt..."You can't say Pharaoh than that!"
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

RPCCS

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:45 am »
I have already done all this Robbo,  I had some flyers for carpet cleaning done professionally, my daughter is a graphic designer, and she designed them, and my neighbour works at a printing company,so he got them done for me for nowt.  I printed off my own flyers promoting the jet washing and fascia cleaning. I suppose I could print some more and refresh their memory.. Thanks for your offer though.
Cheers Rich

Dry Clean

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 08:37:56 am »

robbo333

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:05 am »
If you're going to print some more, stick all your services on one leaflet.

I'm guessing:
Carpet cleaning
Jet washing decking, patios, driveways, paths
Fascia soffits and gutters
Conservatory roofs
Softwashing?
Gutter clearing? (got a gutter vac?)

Do a leaflet especially for existing customers only. Guessing you've got around 300?
Get some 'nice before and after' pictures. As it's for existing customers don't mention window cleaning (they obviously know that). Focus their attention on all the other goodies you offer.
This time of year and for the next few months, it would be like a 'pick and mix' for your custys.
Blimey, you're like a 'one stop shop' for cleaning.
You're bound to get at least 20 to 30 jobs, doing something!

Get on it!

P.S. I used to be a graphic designer for over 20 years, so when I get bored I just design another leaflet.

Right! Traffic has cleared so off I go..."Hi ho hi ho it's off to work we go..."
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 09:03:46 am »
when i was landscape gardening and working on a plant nursery we started at 730am and finished at 6pm  5 days a week plus saturday 730am-1pm,sometimes in the winter months(they were colder in the 80s)we would finish at 830pm....that was proper graft....i even remember my hourly rate £2-32!.....i absolutely hated the job in the end,the days used to drag big time....and i used to dread the alarm clock going off at 6am every day....

nowadays i get up around 7-730am and have a leisurely breakfast and usually head out the door around 9am and im usually home by 3pm,you cant beat it.....im not starting til 10am this morning because i can(and its wet and windy here ATM).....4 commercial jobs and 1 domestic...still £200+ for 4 hours window cleaning.....happy days........

dazmond

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 09:10:15 am »

I'm guessing:
Carpet cleaning
Conservatory roofs
Softwashing?

Do a leaflet especially for existing customers only. Guessing you've got around 300?
Get some 'nice before and after' pictures. As it's for existing customers don't mention window cleaning (they obviously know that). Focus their attention on all the other goodies you offer.
This time of year and for the next few months, it would be like a 'pick and mix' for your custys.

Get on it!

P.S. I used to be a graphic designer for over 20 years, so when I get bored I just design another leaflet.

Right! Traffic has cleared so off I go..."Hi ho hi ho it's off to work we go..."

good advice if you want to concentrate on the add ons...... :)

dazmond

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 09:28:25 am »
when i was landscape gardening and working on a plant nursery we started at 730am and finished at 6pm  5 days a week plus saturday 730am-1pm,sometimes in the winter months(they were colder in the 80s)we would finish at 830pm....that was proper graft....i even remember my hourly rate £2-32!.....i absolutely hated the job in the end,the days used to drag big time....and i used to dread the alarm clock going off at 6am every day....

nowadays i get up around 7-730am and have a leisurely breakfast and usually head out the door around 9am and im usually home by 3pm,you cant beat it.....im not starting til 10am this morning because i can(and its wet and windy here ATM).....4 commercial jobs and 1 domestic...still £200+ for 4 hours window cleaning.....happy days........

i also used to have to stand down crates of plants for hours from a potting machine in the middle of summer in big polythene multi spans,absolutely boiling hot on a warm day! ::)roll

lal

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:07 am »

dazmond in the mid 70's when i left school, my first job for 12 years was working in a Dry Cleaners in North London,
 starting at 8am till 6pm monday to saturday, so long hours, stress dealing with customers 6 full days a week, no Air Con
 in the summer months, so very hot uncomfortable environment to work in, I've done other jobs since.
 So looking back on my life and the jobs I've done, i can say with out a shadow of a doubt, Window Cleaning once you become
 established is a luxury, plus's    Own Boss,  Flexible Hours, good money can be earned, no crappy Boss breathing down your
 neck,  negatives to me is mainly the winter months with all sorts of weather, but you just take the rough with the smooth.

Larry

Dry Clean

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:57 am »

You would have got a like but the £200 for 4 hours work showed the truth, we all work for money but it only becomes important when doing a job that you hate.

John Mart

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 11:36:56 am »

deeege

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:19 am »
What are these long drawn out winters people are moaning about? Maybe for Soupy and the Scottish lads but here in Cheshire I’ve had to put the heater in the van for 2 nights in each of the last 2 winters. We’ve hardly had a winter since 2010.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

NWH

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:58 am »
Sounds like a mixture of a bit of depression and the fact you’re doing all you’re work on a monthly basis,seeing what other people do and what they get for it is enough to motivate me.
Boring yeah it can be but not enough for me to start doing something else for a fraction of the money for little effort really being WFP,cut out all the crap work and concernrate on cream it works for me.

Stoots

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 12:02:28 pm »
Just reading this having a fish butty  8)

16 jobs done. 9 to go

Bored though.

Yeh it's pretty boring this job.

:-\

RPCCS

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 12:32:44 pm »

I'm guessing:
Carpet cleaning
Conservatory roofs
Softwashing?

Get on it!

Everything already listed gutters fascias jet washing carpet cleaning.  I usually work 9 to 9.30 start, 30 minute lunch around 12 and finish between 3 and 4. Tyneside based but work in neighboring county Northumberland. The boss at the coach firm has offeted me some work cleaning the coach seats, so although hard graft, will help to make the equipment keep working, and go towards my 4k investment in the equipment.
Cheers Rich

Slacky

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 01:03:20 pm »
i even remember my hourly rate £2-32!

Yup, I started landscaping in 1987 and the hourly rate was £2.50.

Dave Willis

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:33 pm »
Dazmond, but did you go home after work and lick the road clean? I did.

dazmond

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 03:08:33 pm »
What are these long drawn out winters people are moaning about? Maybe for Soupy and the Scottish lads but here in Cheshire I’ve had to put the heater in the van for 2 nights in each of the last 2 winters. We’ve hardly had a winter since 2010.

thats true that danny.....the worst one i remember since cleaning windows was 2010......other than that the odd few days off here and there,thats it.....

dazmond

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »

You would have got a like but the £200 for 4 hours work showed the truth, we all work for money but it only becomes important when doing a job that you hate.

moneys always important mate......i actually only ended up working 3 and a half hours for £220......30 mins for lunch......10am-2pm.........i dont hate window cleaning at all.....hate is such a strong word......tolerate is much nearer the mark! ;) ;D.....its OK....

cleaniac

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »
OMG

A REALISTIC THREAD FOR A CHANGE!

I absolutely hate this job.

;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »

Hey Deeege I've had to use my duvet about 4 times this winter, it's been murder here in Cheshire 😅😅😅😅😅
Think I'll buy a diesel heater for next year

NOT

jonboywalton75

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:52 pm »

I was window cleaning in 1975 on £4.00 an hour on a council estate
Brilliant hourly rate for that time

jonboywalton75

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 05:22:15 pm »
OMG

;D

Windows cleaning can be dull
I manage with my music/audiobooks and enjoying the fresh air and freedom
I was on 12 hour shift work with idiot bosses nagging all the time, this is a breeze in comparison

Kev Martin

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2019, 05:43:30 pm »

I was window cleaning in 1975 on £4.00 an hour on a council estate
Brilliant hourly rate for that time
I started worked in a factory in July 1971 as an apprentice engineer on £5.20 per week or 13p an hour whichever way you wanna look at it ;D
"Natural Stone Restoration Specialists" Tel: 0121 773 9129
www.tilinglogistics.co.uk | www.marblelife.co.uk  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tiling-Logistics

dazmond

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2019, 05:51:32 pm »
OMG

;D

i pity you......i really do....... ;D

Stoots

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
Dont kill yourselves just yet chaps

Its due to p it rest of the week.........enthralling

cleaniac

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 06:51:38 pm »
OMG

;D

I pity me too... ;D

Naah actually its been quite a good few weeks recently. But yeah I have had enough of this job.. never mind..its a job i suppose. Im trying to not dwell too much on it, and just get on with it and do a good job..

Its nice to see a thread sum up window cleaning, as a true real thing. It is boring, i have been doing it for 17 years now and hit soo many walls of pain through the years, there is nothing wrong with admitting that its dull.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 06:56:15 pm »
Are you an expert in one job or a jack of all trades..

Well how about this as an add on job.  We all have a something to use to knock on windows hehe

dazmond

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:52 pm »
OMG

;D

I pity me too... ;D

Naah actually its been quite a good few weeks recently. But yeah I have had enough of this job.. never mind..its a job i suppose. Im trying to not dwell too much on it, and just get on with it and do a good job..

Its nice to see a thread sum up window cleaning, as a true real thing. It is boring, i have been doing it for 17 years now and hit soo many walls of pain through the years, there is nothing wrong with admitting that its dull.

pain?........what pain?there was a time my life was a living hell but it was so many years ago now ive forgot what it was like....... ;D

ah....i remember!i was a TRAD WINDOW CLEANER(with a drink problem) ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2019, 07:23:00 pm »
I accept window cleaning isn’t a very exciting job but being your own boss , start when you want finish when you want , if you don’t want to do a job you don’t have to take it on , minimal outlay on kit compared to many jobs , regular repeat customers , easiest job you are likely to find and earn between £200- 500 per day and you are all complaining , cleaniac you say you are earning around 60 k and you are unhappy , I know a lot of people who would love to work 4 days a week for that , I don’t think you realise just how lucky you are , money wise this is the best job I’ve ever done , not the most exciting I admit but Ime quite happy doing what I do more than pays the bills , and no stress, some of you on hear haven’t got a clue ,

Stoots

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2019, 07:57:04 pm »
I accept window cleaning isn’t a very exciting job but being your own boss , start when you want finish when you want , if you don’t want to do a job you don’t have to take it on , minimal outlay on kit compared to many jobs , regular repeat customers , easiest job you are likely to find and earn between £200- 500 per day and you are all complaining , cleaniac you say you are earning around 60 k and you are unhappy , I know a lot of people who would love to work 4 days a week for that , I don’t think you realise just how lucky you are , money wise this is the best job I’ve ever done , not the most exciting I admit but Ime quite happy doing what I do more than pays the bills , and no stress, some of you on hear haven’t got a clue ,

You cant really start and finish when you want though, you need to keep up to your round so you become a slave to it.

How much you earn is irrelevant if you hate getting out of bed on a morning

As for stress i find it has a level of stress to it, customers are a pain in the arse, skipping cleans, complaining, not paying etc.

Its not the worst job in the world but its not all sunshine and roses either.

Its ok, best job ive done but that not saying much ive always had pretty crappy jobs

dazmond

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2019, 08:03:12 pm »

i think some will probably be not earning enough.....some will  just about be scratching a living together if they have high bills, a stay at home wife,a few kids and a high rent/mortgage to pay every month....couple that with  few bad weeks of stormy weather and sacking a few days off here and there and things can look a bit bleak.......

nathankaye

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:19 pm »
Its not always easy keeping a positive attitude tho with this job but I think we dont help ourselves either.

We have it so easy, that yes it can be a mind numbing, tedious job. But its a job!  A very easy job that pays alot of money / or can pay alot of money.  Its the easiest time ever for our trade.  No ladders, No collecting, very little overheads compared to a lot of self employment.  Software packages to help organise rounds and routes.

Im heading 42 very soon and even though toying with the idea of moving and starting back again, it fills me with dread the thought of being employed again.  £10 or whatever per hour for this or that! When after ten minutes ive cleaned a basic house for that amount  :o

So yes,  its brain numbing and boring as anything, but i can listen to music etc and work around that. So when i have those down times, i think of that.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jonboywalton75

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:16 pm »
Not quite the easiest time for windies, 10 or so years ago some wfp windies were getting 2 or 3 times the rates we get now on commercials.
Also the amount of polers can tend to push prices down.

nathankaye

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2019, 09:58:30 pm »
Not quite the easiest time for windies, 10 or so years ago some wfp windies were getting 2 or 3 times the rates we get now on commercials.
Also the amount of polers can tend to push prices down.

Commercial has always been cut throat though.
Sadly as you say, because it is easier now, many are trying to get into window cleaning. However you cant change that and things you cant change arent worth worrying about, other than making sure your happy with what your achieving.  We all know a window cleaner in the same area as oneself who is happy to charge half of what you are.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:56 pm »
Many are trying to get into window cleaning because of the idiots making YouTube videos explaining exactly what you need and how to do it  ::)roll

johnny bravo

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2019, 10:08:34 pm »
never looked back from changing to WFP cleaning around 5 years ago.    .  I just think when cleaning a house in 10 / 15 minutes earning £10 / £15    what people in good jobs earn in an hour.      if you haven't had other jobs in the past you cant compare.     ive done lots , including taxi driving.       Boring      earning  peanuts.     
the freedom we have is unreal.       yes we keep looking at the weather.     hoping it pes down for a excuse  to stay at home.   not feeling guilty if we can blame it on the weather.

problems are showing now with slight lower back ache now and again.   not enough to not work.     55 now.    got to look after yourself physically   for future working years.
this is one area that can ruin your happy days.

but atm  ill keep on enjoying the fact I earn more per hour than people earn as tradesmen .
have a  holliday when I want
lie in after a night out when I want
wear what i want
and best of all no one telling me what to do or where to go.
clean whose houses i want to clean , and get rid of customers who get on my titties.
Weather looks s..t   tomorrow   haha

nathankaye

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2019, 10:09:43 pm »
Many are trying to get into window cleaning because of the idiots making YouTube videos explaining exactly what you need and how to do it  ::)roll

;D ;D perhaps a little true  ;D

Yet come on, its not hard to figure out though is it? with or without social media/you tube etc
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:48 pm »
I doubt many of use would be in the position we are currently if it wasn't for social media.

I see numptys being fleeced over like a couple of muppets when I go down to the local window cleaning suppliers, simply because they haven't been educated and they're mugged over by guys who've been in the game a long time.

£400 to fit a split charge relay. What sort of muppets are these people, yet the fitters are busy day in day out with fresh fodder straight off the 'boat'.

RPCCS

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 07:54:08 am »
What happened to storm Gareth? It’s very cloudy here this morning, and been raining overnight, but no storm. Wish it would hurry up, I don’t want to have to go out and clean windows today.
Cheers Rich

dazmond

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 09:04:24 am »
What happened to storm Gareth? It’s very cloudy here this morning, and been raining overnight, but no storm. Wish it would hurry up, I don’t want to have to go out and clean windows today.

its coming overnight tonight.....its absolutely peeing it down(and cold)here.......BUT its forecast to brighten up by late morning so ill be out and will get my scheduled work cleaned.....

im raring to go.....i cant remember the last time i didnt want to go out and get my work cleaned.......what are you gonna do if you dont work?sit at home moaning about the weather on here losing money?ill guarantee you ll feel WORSE than just going out and cracking on with it.....

unless of course your health is suffering?how do you feel physically?worn out?frazzled?if you do then maybe a days rest will do you good......

have a good day mate..... :)

Shrek

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:10 am »
It’s light cold rain here , iv only booked in a little bit of work today then if the weather gets better il go and do some jobs that don’t need notifying

Dry Clean

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:35 am »
I never worry or care about getting up in the morning, if you want to make this job easy invest in the right equipment.

cleaniac

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 09:46:22 am »
I never worry or care about getting up in the morning, if you want to make this job easy invest in the right equipment.

Now...one of those would make me drag myself to a cleaning show...preferably with a scantily clad model trying it out..

😁😂😂😂

cleaniac

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 09:48:54 am »
I doubt many of use would be in the position we are currently if it wasn't for social media.

I see numptys being fleeced over like a couple of muppets when I go down to the local window cleaning suppliers, simply because they haven't been educated and they're mugged over by guys who've been in the game a long time.

£400 to fit a split charge relay. What sort of muppets are these people, yet the fitters are busy day in day out with fresh fodder straight off the 'boat'.

I suppose the only saving grace is numpties like that are clearly not good business people, and wont last.

RPCCS

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:37 am »

its coming overnight tonight.....its absolutely peeing it down(and cold)here.......BUT its forecast to brighten up by late morning so ill be out and will get my scheduled work cleaned.....

im raring to go.....i cant remember the last time i didnt want to go out and get my work cleaned.......what are you gonna do if you dont work?sit at home moaning about the weather on here losing money?ill guarantee you ll feel WORSE than just going out and cracking on with it.....

unless of course your health is suffering?how do you feel physically?worn out?frazzled?if you do then maybe a days rest will do you good......

You hit the nail on the head there. Yes I am burned out , tbh it wouldn't matter if I was making 200 quid a day, as someone said earlier if your heart's not in it any longer, money doesn't come in to the equation.😒
Cheers Rich

Klean07

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
I'm 60 and been on the glass for years. I used to think that I would be able to have the drive and vision to do this until I drop! However as I was approaching 60 last year I gave myself a reality check and came to the conclusion that I wasn't enjoying it as much as  I used to although I take lots of holidays and weekends away I suddenly realised that I don't want to do this full time until I die!
So I've recruited a family member to come on board with me he's currently a truck driver and needs to change his lifestyle for the sake of his family life etc so his energy and enthusiasm will be good. As for me I'll still be working but just part time on the glass with more time for marketing my business and more free time but this time knowing that I'll still have an income coming in regardless of where I am in the world or if I'm ill etc.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
i bumped into an old trad guy today....i thought he was 71 but he s 74 now!he s been window cleaning since he was 18 and looks years younger than his age,albeit part time i might add......but he would put some of you younger lads to shame!(including me!) ;D ;D

i worked 1015am -315pm today......only the first hour was wet weather then it cleared up....i skipped one job (cos customer in hospital) and dumped 2 jobs(messers) and cleaned 2 jobs from tomorrows work....

so all in all not a bad days work cleaned......i didnt break any records but sometimes its just about plodding on and putting one foot in front of the other on days like today..... ;) :)

dazmond

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:45 pm »

You hit the nail on the head there. Yes I am burned out , tbh it wouldn't matter if I was making 200 quid a day, as someone said earlier if your heart's not in it any longer, money doesn't come in to the equation.😒

sounds like you could do with a holiday mate......

dazmond

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2019, 03:33:28 pm »
i overheard 2 guys in the gym last night discussing jobs,one said to the other..."its great money at that place,£11 an hour!"i just smiled......

£22k a year for a 40 hr week.......packing warehouse.....thats considered good money where i live..... ::)roll

aztec

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 06:17:33 pm »
would you honestly want to travel to the same place, same time, same face sitting opposite you ,same routine for breaks, same conversations every day, same screen to look at, same mundane view from the window ,same commute home .....i think not, mate , you are one of the lucky ones every day new challenge new location

Dry Clean

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
i overheard 2 guys in the gym last night discussing jobs,one said to the other..."its great money at that place,£11 an hour!"i just smiled......

£22k a year for a 40 hr week.......packing warehouse.....thats considered good money where i live..... ::)roll

Ooooooog

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »
If you don't get depressed doing this job then you need to see a doctor!

This.

zesty

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2019, 07:20:02 am »
Window cleaning is no doubt, BORING.

But, it pays well for short hours. I try to think about the money and the extra time at home to keep me grateful.

I do wish I’d learned a trade as young lad though. Perhaps a sparky.

There’s good money in some of those trades. My plumber does £250 a day. And charges around £4K for a bathroom refit which takes him 2-3 weeks max.

Still, we can earn that window cleaning, and it’s far less agro than being a plumber!

dazmond

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2019, 07:57:54 am »

But, it pays well for short hours. I try to think about the money and the extra time at home to keep me grateful.

There’s good money in some of those trades. My plumber does £250 a day. And charges around £4K for a bathroom refit which takes him 2-3 weeks max.

Still, we can earn that window cleaning, and it’s far less agro than being a plumber!

its never too late to learn....you could train as an electrician if you wanted........

all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:04 am »
I'm 60 and been on the glass for years. I used to think that I would be able to have the drive and vision to do this until I drop! However as I was approaching 60 last year I gave myself a reality check and came to the conclusion that I wasn't enjoying it as much as  I used to although I take lots of holidays and weekends away I suddenly realised that I don't want to do this full time until I die!
So I've recruited a family member to come on board with me he's currently a truck driver and needs to change his lifestyle for the sake of his family life etc so his energy and enthusiasm will be good. As for me I'll still be working but just part time on the glass with more time for marketing my business and more free time but this time knowing that I'll still have an income coming in regardless of where I am in the world or if I'm ill etc.

Don't know if you're still reading this Klean but I'm similar age to you and thinking similar to you. With your new worker is he employed or sub-contracting at the moment? What is the longer term plan (as in next couple of years?)

As you may recall I had my son-in-law employed for me for about four years and I'm wondering about doing the same again with a view to having my business ticking over and me working (even more) part time on the tools.
It's a game of three halves!

cleaniac

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:50 am »

A close friend of mine is a plumber, he tells me is a nightmare keeping up with all the latest legislation.

His son was going to go into the same trade, but has started up window cleaning.

Lol

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 08:22:23 am »

its never too late to learn....you could train as an electrician if you wanted........

all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)

Those were your only goals? Blimey.

Granny

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 10:31:14 am »
"all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....ive done both so ive fulfilled my lifes goals.......anything else is a bonus.... :)"

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt. ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 12:35:45 pm »

Wow, and here's me saying Dazmond is usually right on a post yesterday
Ahhh well🙄

Slacky

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....

The only drums you've played with are the two bongos between your legs.

You haven't slept with lots of women. Give it a rest....

SB Cleaning

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 02:21:18 pm »
all i ever wanted to do was play drums and sleep with  lots of women.....

The only drums you've played with are the two bongos between your legs.

You haven't slept with lots of women. Give it a rest....
;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 04:35:15 pm »

Those were your only goals? Blimey.

yep......im still playing drums but just the one woman these days! ;)

Klean07

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 04:46:26 pm »

Don't know if you're still reading this Klean but I'm similar age to you and thinking similar to you. With your new worker is he employed or sub-contracting at the moment? What is the longer term plan (as in next couple of years?)

As you may recall I had my son-in-law employed for me for about four years and I'm wondering about doing the same again with a view to having my business ticking over and me working (even more) part time on the tools.

Hi,
I started him on the self-employed route as I didn't want to get into the complications of actually employing him. Its working so far thankfully. Long term would be to put another van on road with me just do marketing but still taking a wage which would probably be my pension.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 11:04:18 am »
I had a good on Wednesday, no windows, started off with a tea stain removal on a carpet, then cleaned the seats on a coach, and finished off with a short driving job on the coach. ( not the same one I was cleaning seats on 😮). If I could do this every week it would suit me. Bit of window cleaning, bit of jet washing, bit of carpet cleaning and a bit of coach work. That would do me.
Cheers Rich

Lee Smith

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »
I started up a carpet cleaning business before I started window cleaning and I can say for certain that window cleaning is a much easier and more profitable business. Main reason is that with window cleaning, its constant repeat business every 4 weeks and zero outgoings on advertising if you don't want too, with carpet cleaning you have to spend £££ every week looking for your next job as people might get carpets cleaned every 18 month or so if you're lucky,  it will take years and years to build a carpet cleaning business into a decent income. I soon realised carpet cleaning wasn't for me and started up window cleaning and its without doubt the best thing I've done, good income for a pretty stress free job.

brianbarber

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2019, 08:04:20 pm »
Started carpet cleaning
Soon realised although good ticket prices, once a customer has the windows cleaned  your back every 4/8 weeks.....regular income.
 Plus, no large advertising bills to get the odd carpet cleaning job.

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

dazmond

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2019, 02:42:00 pm »
I had a good on Wednesday, no windows, started off with a tea stain removal on a carpet, then cleaned the seats on a coach, and finished off with a short driving job on the coach. ( not the same one I was cleaning seats on 😮). If I could do this every week it would suit me. Bit of window cleaning, bit of jet washing, bit of carpet cleaning and a bit of coach work. That would do me.

personally i cant think of anything worse than being jack of all trades but if it suits you then good luck.... :)

Slacky

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:15 pm »

I bet youve got all the best chat up lines.

RPCCS

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2019, 09:49:58 pm »
Happily married mate for 23 years, no chat up lines from me I did get offered it on a plate once about 25 years ago, but never acted on it.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2019, 09:53:10 pm »

personally i cant think of anything worse than being jack of all trades but if it suits you then good luck.... :)
We' all have  different. ideas Daz, that's what makes things interesting.
Cheers Rich

John Mart

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2019, 07:58:31 am »
Happily married mate for 23 years, no chat up lines from me I did get offered it on a platw once about 26 years ago, but never acted on it.
You were offered it on a plate 3 years before you were married but didn’t act on it?  ???

P @ F

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2019, 08:58:18 am »
The offer was from a bloke 🤣

RPCCS

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2019, 04:50:10 pm »
Happily married mate for 23 years, no chat up lines from me I did get offered it on a platw once about 26 years ago, but never acted on it.
You were offered it on a plate 3 years before you were married but didn’t act on it?  ???
I was engaged though, and the wifey who offered it was pi$$ed, and also married.😮
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2019, 04:51:13 pm »
The offer was from a bloke 🤣
pmsl😂😂😂 😂😂
Cheers Rich

G Griffin

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:04 am »
Happily married mate for 23 years, no chat up lines from me I did get offered it on a plate once about 25 years ago, but never acted on it.
Happily married for 23 years and you still remember the offer? 🤔
I sense regret in your post(s), my unfulfilled one.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

RPCCS

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:44 am »
Nope, no regrets
Cheers Rich

John Mart

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2019, 11:43:54 am »
I'll bet he wishes he hadn't mentioned it now.

G Griffin

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2019, 01:08:28 pm »
There's definitely some regret, there. The words 'but never acted on it' are a give away.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2019, 01:27:20 pm »
Yeah and I’ve never missed a window lol.

cleaniac

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2019, 01:47:31 pm »
If we look hard enough at our lives, we can all have regrets.

I regret that i didn't stand up to my 1st wife who was jealous, controlling, and emotionally abusive and left her sooner.

She didn't like the fact that i was a very driven person, with a job in the city at the age of 19 and was doing very very well for a 19 year old.

She cost me my job eventually, as she would call the office  and check up on what i was doing, and we would row if i was 10 mins late back on the train,as i was commuting from weybridge, surrey to london waterloo it was hit and miss if the train would turn up on time. If i had stuck at that job, id have a mansion in weybridge now and probably be retired with a fat bank balance. It didn't matter what job i got she ended up accusing me of having affairs, it drove me bonkers, eventually i started working for myself as a contractor, but work dried up after 911, there was alot of uncertainty so i did some window cleaning with a friend as a stop gap, and ended up starting out in window cleaning in 2003 (age23) and 8 years later it turned out she was the one having the affair..

So there u go.

G Griffin

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2019, 01:54:44 pm »

I regret that i didn't stand up to my 1st wife who was jealous, controlling, and emotionally abusive and left her sooner.

She didn't like the fact that i was a very driven person, with a job in the city at the age of 19 and was doing very very well for a 19 year old.

She cost me my job eventually, as she would call the office  and check up on what i was doing, and we would row if i was 10 mins late back on the train,as i was commuting from weybridge, surrey to london waterloo it was hit and miss if the train would turn up on time. If i had stuck at that job, id have a mansion in weybridge now and probably be retired with a fat bank balance. It didn't matter what job i got she ended up accusing me of having affairs, it drove me bonkers, eventually i started working for myself as a contractor, but work dried up after 911, there was alot of uncertainty so i did some window cleaning with a friend as a stop gap, and ended up starting out in window cleaning in 2003 (age23) and 8 years later it turned out she was the one having the affair..

So there u go.
With RPWC?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

RPCCS

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2019, 06:34:23 pm »
There's definitely some regret, there. The words 'but never acted on it' are a give away.
There are no regrets. whatsoever on my part, I was engaged to my now wife and the woman  I'm on about was married with 3 kids. Her husband was a pilot so away quite a bit, and she was p155ed, plus the fact the estate they lived on had nosey neighours. When I told my mate about it, at the timehe said " you knacker!! I would have been straight in there!" But he would jump with anyone at the time.
In case you're wondering, the wife knows all about it.
Cheers Rich

windowswashed

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »

So there u go.

Was she the jealous type who would phone you whilst in church on Sundays and ask you to put Jesus on the phone  ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2019, 07:28:26 pm »
There are no regrets. whatsoever on my part, I was engaged to my now wife and the woman  I'm on about was married with 3 kids. Her husband was a pilot so away quite a bit, and she was p155ed, plus the fact the estate they lived on had nosey neighours. When I told my mate about it, at the timehe said " you knacker!! I would have been straight in there!" But he would jump with anyone at the time.
In case you're wondering, the wife knows all about it.
I believe you  ;).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2019, 08:01:43 pm »

So there u go.

speak for yourself....ive slept with all sorts of women over the years from teachers to nurses and dont regret anything...... :)

Ooooooog

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2019, 08:30:06 pm »
Paradoxically, I regret almost everything.

Raz

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2019, 09:00:34 pm »
I love it rather clean Windows everyday than work 12 hour shift in a warehouse for 10 quid a hour

jonboywalton75

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »
I love it rather clean Windows everyday than work 12 hour shift in a warehouse for 10 quid a hour

Deffo

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2019, 01:57:49 pm »
It's a boring and demoralising job.  That why I charge high and get rewarded for it.   No way would I do it for pittance like some I see out there.    If a customer want cheap and they can find a cheap wc they are very welcome to each other.   You won't catch me cleaning windows for pocket money.

It does make me giggle when I see a competitors first USP stating they are the cheapest  ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »
It's a boring and demoralising job.  That why I charge high and get rewarded for it.   No way would I do it for pittance like some I see out there.    If a customer want cheap and they can find a cheap wc they are very welcome to each other.   You won't catch me cleaning windows for pocket money.

It does make me giggle when I see a competitors first USP stating they are the cheapest  ;D

My mate once said " window cleaning is a luxury, that's why I charge Luxury prices" 😅😅

dazmond

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:39 pm »
you dont need to charge much to make a good hourly rate  if their close together with WFP,i was cleaning my cheaper compact estate work today and i was still making £40-£50 an hour.......best job ive ever had..... 8)

robbo333

« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2019, 06:46:28 pm »
So today:
First house - builders are in so couldn't clean
Second house - builders are in so couldn't clean
Third house -  on holiday, no access to rear.

Fourth house - the conversation goes like this:
Me 'hello'
Her 'I wasn't expecting you!'
Me 'I sent a text to Chris last night telling him I was coming' (locked gates)
Her 'well he never told me'
Me 'let me just make sure I sent it'
Checks my phone and showed her the text and said 'yes that's his number'
Her 'I don't know his number!!!!'
Me thinking (OFFS!)
Me, 'so would you like me to clean them?'
Her 'NO!'
Me 'is there a problem?'
Her 'you were only here a few weeks ago'
Me 'I think it's been about 10 weeks' (8 weekly clean plus 2 week holiday)
Her 'i'm sure it's not that long'
Me 'let me get my diary from the van and check'
Exactly 10 weeks.
Her 'ok but I don't have any money on me'
Me 'no problem, i'll leave you a slip and you can pay me online'
Her 'ok that's good'.
I cleaned them and left her a slip (by which time she seemed ok) I am guessing she phoned hubby to check my story.
As soon as the money is in the bank they are dumped!!!!!!!!!!

Got the rest of the cleans done and thought, I'll go and do some extra jobs where I can just turn up.

Window cleaning mate phoned and said fancy a pint?

3 hours later and lots of games of pool.

I love this job!!!!   ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:49 pm »
I did. £5 job today which worked out at £60 an hour. Strange thing is though I don’t earn £700 a day.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2019, 07:01:32 pm »
So today:

Me 'hello'
Me thinking (OFFS!)
Her 'NO!'
Me 'is there a problem?'
Exactly 10 weeks.
Her 'ok that's good'.
I cleaned them and left her a slip (by which time she seemed ok) I am guessing she phoned hubby to check my story.

Got the rest of the cleans done and thought, I'll go and do some extra jobs where I can just turn up.

I love this job!!!!   ;D

Get yourself a card marchine. The picture on their faces are fab when they say they have no cash  ;D

robbo333

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:27 pm »
I like that. What one do you have?

dazmond

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:23 pm »
i agree...get a card machine......i use mine every day...... ;)

robbo333

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2019, 07:12:53 pm »

Daz, what one do you have? I know there are loads out there, so would rather get one recommended.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »
SUMUP Card reader. Very cheap rates and no fixed monthly fees.  Think its 1.69% of the transaction.

Half price using this link buddy.

http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

robbo333

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2019, 07:25:36 pm »
Mr Wibbly, you are a gentleman, thank you.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2019, 07:28:02 pm »
Mr Wibbly, you are a gentleman, thank you.

You're Welcome,

Paul

dazmond

« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2019, 07:35:40 pm »

Daz, what one do you have? I know there are loads out there, so would rather get one recommended.

got mine half price from mr wibbly too,cost me £18 for card reader instead of £36...... :)

james peters

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:54 pm »
you dont need to charge much to make a good hourly rate  if their close together with WFP,i was cleaning my cheaper compact estate work today and i was still making £40-£50 an hour.......best job ive ever had..... 8)

that's coz we been doing it 27 years. ;D  I enjoy my job.
today I had my learn welsh app on.... helps to communicate with the misses as welsh is her first language.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2019, 08:31:27 pm »

Its not 40 or 50 an hour Daz, cos on your compact estate work you're doing hours of collecting.
Wow Daz sometimes I think you're living in the stone age 🤔

dazmond

« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2019, 03:36:07 pm »

Its not 40 or 50 an hour Daz, cos on your compact estate work you're doing hours of collecting.
Wow Daz sometimes I think you're living in the stone age 🤔

err no im not.....most customers pay by BACS/standing order these days or cash/cheque/card payments on day of clean.......i do SOME collecting but its very minimal........ :)

jonboywalton75

« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2019, 04:17:00 pm »
I'll let you off ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2019, 10:29:29 pm »
So today:

Me 'hello'
Me thinking (OFFS!)
Her 'NO!'
Me 'is there a problem?'
Exactly 10 weeks.
Her 'ok that's good'.

I love this job!!!!   ;D
I would of walked away from her as soon as she said no I don't want them cleaned...sod cleaning it again.

Slacky

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:36 am »
I like that. What one do you have?

You dont need a micahne, Stripe do an app