Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

capn sparkle

Am I being petty?
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:08 pm »
Cleaned a house for 5+ years where you have to access the rear windows through a garage - always left keys for access and paid online - post keys in a plastic bag  plus ticket through letterbox when done. Simple, never an issue.

I clean 50 odd houses out of 67 on this estate so I guess I'm ok at what I do. New customer moves in and I leave my 'I used to clean for the previous owner letter' and she contacts me by phone after a year so I agree to carry on. Below is the text conversation

Tuesday 26th Sept 2017
DAISY
Hi Glenn, I spoke to you last week briefly and I hope all is okay. You have been recommended by my neighbours and I was wondering if you could give me a quote to clean my windows at Old School Drive? Any mon-weds PM works well.
Thanks

ME
What number are you Daisy?

DAISY
Hey, number 40

ME
Ah! Mark Pointers old house £17 approx every 2 months... should be back in OSD drive by late October. Would you like me to contact you nearer the time?
Possible PITA house so up from £14

DAISY
Yes please. Would like you to do the house when you are next here. We purchased off Mark earlier this year.

ME
No probs I'll come and give everything a tidy up in Oct.

DAISY
Great, if you could let me know the date when the time comes. I will need to open  the garage so you can get to the back.

Thurday 19th October 2017
DAISY
Hi, are you still planning to come this month?

Seems keen

ME
Yes Daisy will be late October

DAISY
Fab!!!

Saturday 28th October 2017
DAISY
Hi Glenn, are you still planning to come to Old School Drive this week?
Really keen

ME
Should be there  by Weds or Thurs or if you like I can reshedule and pop over Mon afternoon after finishing another job.

Monday 30th October 2017
DAISY
Thursday would be great if you let me know what time ish? It will be my Mum here as I work that day.
Concerned by time but ok with the Mum thing

1st November 2017
ME
Hi, Capn' Sparkle will be calling tomorrow to clean windows, many thanks, Glenn - should be about 3pm Daisy.
Never give times but hey ho

DAISY
Hi I have to do the school run. Can you make it 4pm?

Me
It'll be getting dark by then I'm afraid I'll need more time to do the job properly. Mark left me the garage and back door key under the doormat. I post them back through with the payment details. Very straightforward.

DAISY
Perfect

Thursday 2nd November 2017
DAISY
Thank you so much - they look great - money transferred.

ME
Cheers Daisy

Monday 22nd January 2018
ME
Hi, Cap'n Sparkle will be calling tomorrow to clean your
 windows, many thanks, Glenn
Running late on 2 monthly as usual

DAISY
Thanks but we are fine at the moment. Perhaps next time in the spring?
WHAT!! alarm bells ringing - should have charged a first clean price - been done but my fault

Dumped, but sees me in March 2018 cleaning a neighbour before leaving the estate for two months (I'll call you type of thing)

Friday 28th September 2018
DAISY
Hi Glenn, can I please book you in for windows in Old School Drive in the next month?

ME
Sorry Daisy just finished your area...
Perhaps next time in the spring.

Rare that I even bother with people like this but re reading this series of text I think I went above and beyond!!

And yes I must be bored on a Saturday night to even contemplate typing all this in.

Thoughts or more likely laughs Gents? 8 yrs in this game and still get caught occasionally.

dazmond

Re: Am I being petty?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:42:06 pm »
You should of been clear that you only take on regular work from the start....also I can't be arsed with" what time will you be here "type customers .if their in when i clean then they can open the garage or its a front only clean...
price higher/work harder!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 10:49:00 pm »
Cleaned a house for 5+ years where you have to access the rear windows through a garage - always left keys for access and paid online - post keys in a plastic bag  plus ticket through letterbox when done. Simple, never an issue.

I clean 50 odd houses out of 67 on this estate so I guess I'm ok at what I do. New customer moves in and I leave my 'I used to clean for the previous owner letter' and she contacts me by phone after a year so I agree to carry on. Below is the text conversation

Tuesday 26th Sept 2017
DAISY
Hi Glenn, I spoke to you last week briefly and I hope all is okay. You have been recommended by my neighbours and I was wondering if you could give me a quote to clean my windows at Old School Drive? Any mon-weds PM works well.
Thanks

ME
What number are you Daisy?

DAISY
Hey, number 40

ME
Ah! Mark Pointers old house £17 approx every 2 months... should be back in OSD drive by late October. Would you like me to contact you nearer the time?
Possible PITA house so up from £14

DAISY
Yes please. Would like you to do the house when you are next here. We purchased off Mark earlier this year.

ME
No probs I'll come and give everything a tidy up in Oct.

DAISY
Great, if you could let me know the date when the time comes. I will need to open  the garage so you can get to the back.

Thurday 19th October 2017
DAISY
Hi, are you still planning to come this month?

Seems keen

ME
Yes Daisy will be late October

DAISY
Fab!!!

Saturday 28th October 2017
DAISY
Hi Glenn, are you still planning to come to Old School Drive this week?
Really keen

ME
Should be there  by Weds or Thurs or if you like I can reshedule and pop over Mon afternoon after finishing another job.

Monday 30th October 2017
DAISY
Thursday would be great if you let me know what time ish? It will be my Mum here as I work that day.
Concerned by time but ok with the Mum thing

1st November 2017
ME
Hi, Capn' Sparkle will be calling tomorrow to clean windows, many thanks, Glenn - should be about 3pm Daisy.
Never give times but hey ho

DAISY
Hi I have to do the school run. Can you make it 4pm?

Me
It'll be getting dark by then I'm afraid I'll need more time to do the job properly. Mark left me the garage and back door key under the doormat. I post them back through with the payment details. Very straightforward.

DAISY
Perfect

Thursday 2nd November 2017
DAISY
Thank you so much - they look great - money transferred.

ME
Cheers Daisy

Monday 22nd January 2018
ME
Hi, Cap'n Sparkle will be calling tomorrow to clean your
 windows, many thanks, Glenn
Running late on 2 monthly as usual

DAISY
Thanks but we are fine at the moment. Perhaps next time in the spring?
WHAT!! alarm bells ringing - should have charged a first clean price - been done but my fault

Dumped, but sees me in March 2018 cleaning a neighbour before leaving the estate for two months (I'll call you type of thing)

Friday 28th September 2018
DAISY
Hi Glenn, can I please book you in for windows in Old School Drive in the next month?

ME
Sorry Daisy just finished your area...
Perhaps next time in the spring.

Rare that I even bother with people like this but re reading this series of text I think I went above and beyond!!

And yes I must be bored on a Saturday night to even contemplate typing all this in.

Thoughts or more likely laughs Gents? 8 yrs in this game and still get caught occasionally.

Oh dear!  I've been a bit picky and it means I have gaps in my work, but I wouldn't take that on.
More likely to bang my head on the window than clean it.

capn sparkle

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:57:08 pm »
Mad thing is I'm already 2 monthly so no idea why this one got me - still learning but normally manage to weed 'em - must have had an off day.

Funny to re read whilst deleting old texts tho - getting soft in me old age    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:41:43 am »
Ha ha had to get the popcorn out there. I can't believe you actually said perhaps next spring.
That's hilarious.
Yes end of the day all you had to do was put a first clean charge. Literally you should really go for double particularly if you clean the majority of the houses in the estate it means it's unlikely anyone's going to really go there for a competitive price.
Also try not to get caught up in the hype all this text messaging and sounding like she wants it regular to me was she hasn't had them cleaned in bloody ages and she wants a cheap clean so she can smile when the sun shines through.

There's two ways of doing this like Daz says tell them it's a regular clean from the get-go which personally isnt ideal i find because they will back track if they want a one-off however sometimes it can also deter a one-off. But for me it's everyone with the same brush everything is a one-off and priced accordingly the truth will only come out the truth will only only come out once you have cleaned their windows all you have to do is priced accordingly and assume everyone is a one-off you may lose out on some that want to be regular from the get go but end of the day if someone has very dirty Windows it takes longer more water more time so ideally charging appropriately is essential and also it teaches the customer if they want it regular the price goes down to half price if they don't want to continue not a problem give us a call whenever you like for the same price we just cleaned for

Did she respond to your see you next spring statement? 😁

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:30:35 am »
I think it’s a good idea to  charge double for the first clean and tell them that  the 6th  clean they have will be free , that way  they have not lost out in the long run and you are pretty sure that they will be on the books for 6 months .
If you need to explain why you do this , be straight and tell them , any custie that is decent will understand
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:12 am »
I think it’s a good idea to  charge double for the first clean and tell them that  the 6th  clean they have will be free , that way  they have not lost out in the long run and you are pretty sure that they will be on the books for 6 months .
If you need to explain why you do this , be straight and tell them , any custie that is decent will understand
Sod working for free mate...I have never done freebies...madness ???

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 10:04:38 am »
It’s not free though is it ?
As you have charged double for the first clean!
Some cleaners don’t charge extra for first clean then get binned anyway

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:19:28 am »

I never do that....I also very rarely have a customer who wants a one off.....they want a regular service...

I usually charge more for a first clean anyway.....

price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 11:22:27 am »

Well it is because I believe you should charge more for a first clean anyway. as it is more work.
It's a game of three halves!

John Mart

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 11:47:41 am »

Well it is because I believe you should charge more for a first clean anyway. as it is more work.
But you’d have to admit that’s easy to do when you’re full. Not so easy when starting.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
Absolutely a lot easier to do that when you're full or comfortable.
The refund thing on the 6th clean is ok used to do it myself a while ago then I realised that there's no point because if they want a one off they want a one-off they don't really care about getting some money back after a year. As for the ones who want it regular all they're saying is why am I paying extra when I want to be regular it just causes confusion to be honest of you. Ideally just price for a first clean and that's it the truth will only come out once the dirt has been removed from their windows  :) then if you get told see you in spring not a problem madam see you in spring.

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
When you come to charge them for the 6th clean and they query it, expecting it to have been free, say 'No, I told you the 16th clean would be free, not the 6th ', then look at them as if they might have a hearing problem.

Works every time.

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 12:39:30 pm »
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say people should stop saying its easier when your full of work compared to starting out. Because that's just a mind set that has to be broken.
When I go into a brand new area to try and start a round, ie like a new starter would. Do I decide not to give a first clean price if the windows are ackie, because no one knows me in the area. Do I eck, I will still charge an higher price for the first clean but when I'm giving quotes I don't ask if its a one off. I simply give them two prices, one for 4wks and the other for 8wks and ask which rotation they want.
Personally I think, because I turn up in a signed van (large magnets or not) and wear a uniform, plus identity badge and give them a welcome pack which outlines my way of working etc etc, they realise it's not beer money etc and they don't take the mick in quite the same way. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 01:51:51 pm »
MR NK - some sense at last!

even when I started out it was always extra for a first clean - its very straight forward if a first clean takes an hour to do then you charge an hours work - not 20mins that it will take in the future.

its too easy to undercharge, and once your cheap its very difficault to get the prices up - start cheap and you stay cheap even when your full.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 02:08:57 pm »
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say people should stop saying its easier when your full of work compared to starting out. Because that's just a mind set that has to be broken.
When I go into a brand new area to try and start a round, ie like a new starter would. Do I decide not to give a first clean price if the windows are ackie, because no one knows me in the area. Do I eck, I will still charge an higher price for the first clean but when I'm giving quotes I don't ask if its a one off. I simply give them two prices, one for 4wks and the other for 8wks and ask which rotation they want.
Personally I think, because I turn up in a signed van (large magnets or not) and wear a uniform, plus identity badge and give them a welcome pack which outlines my way of working etc etc, they realise it's not beer money etc and they don't take the mick in quite the same way.

Why would somebody going as long as you with no plans to employ want to go into a new area to build a round ? and off course its easier to be confident in pricing and other things when  no longer trying to build a living.

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 03:06:38 pm »
I had a similar one last week. cleaned her house 8 weekly for about a year, then she started leaving gate locked, you know on the slippery slope, andyway not long she cancelled. her excuse was having work done on house will call back in spring.

this was last december, she never got back in touch until last week "hi adam, any chance you can call round and give us a one of window clean this week?"

"No chance at all"  was my reply.

yeh ill just drop everything and come right over  ::)roll

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 03:19:55 pm »

Why would somebody going as long as you with no plans to employ want to go into a new area to build a round ? and off course its easier to be confident in pricing and other things when  no longer trying to build a living.

I have a good twenty percent or so of customers who sadly are getting to an age where soon that 20%  will start to deplete.   So I'm starting to put plans into action now, to take this into account. As I'm sure your aware that when these things happen, their houses are not straight on the market for selling and the huge majority of this work is grouped together.

But also throughout the years, this same principle has always applied. Hence why I say its a mind set
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 05:27:08 pm »
Charging extra for first cleans is a lot like trying to get higher prices.

If you are desperate for work you will do first cleans for no extra charge and you will price lower...because you want the work and any money is better than none.

When you become full of course it's much easier to charge double for first cleans and push the limits with price, because quite simply of you don't get the job it's not the end of the world.

How you price will always come down to how many you want to convert.

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 05:55:40 pm »
As a one man band I could take on lots more to be honest , but I only have enough for the amount of hours I wish to work at any given time , Im not as lazy as I make out , and although I dont work as hard as I used to I dont do too bad with earnings now compred to  earnings back then .
With regard to the charging double for the first clean , I dont do that either as yet , I simply charge accordingly for time taken to put me no worse off than a maintenance clean .
However , if I get the feeling that it might be a one off liar then its double , then sit back and await text , I have lost nothing and they have paid a fair price .