Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Self employed route for staff.
« on: November 08, 2018, 08:48:24 am »
I know this topic has probably been talked about before but I'm interested to know how many of you go down this route when employing someone.
I was 60 last month and although I still feel fit enough to do a full days work I feel its the right time to reduce my hours and employ someone else. I always used to think that I will work until I drop but living alone with no live in partner to support me if I'm ill or have to go into hospital etc I'm hoping to start someone on in the spring but self employed!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

P @ F

Re: Self employed route for staff.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:40 am »
What you described is surely just known as renting the round out as I think they need to use their own gear not yours
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

John Mart

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:48 am »
I’m guessing so you can evade NI, pension contributions, holiday and sick pay? In fact all the obligations of an employer.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:30 am »
I’m guessing so you can evade NI, pension contributions, holiday and sick pay? In fact all the obligations of an employer.

Oooohhhh- spicy answer

Do a zero hours contract then if works a bit light your not worrying about wages ( no I don’t like them morally but it does suit some situations if not abused)

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

cleaniac

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:03 am »
I know this topic has probably been talked about before but I'm interested to know how many of you go down this route when employing someone.
I was 60 last month and although I still feel fit enough to do a full days work I feel its the right time to reduce my hours and employ someone else. I always used to think that I will work until I drop but living alone with no live in partner to support me if I'm ill or have to go into hospital etc I'm hoping to start someone on in the spring but self employed!

From what i understand it at present, you can use a self employed person to sub contract for you. That is paying them a day rate on receipt of invoice from that person. But make sure that  they must have thier own direct customers aswell, or are at least sub contracting for 2 other companies. If they are solely reliant on your business, and they are not working for anybody else, the veiw of HMRC is that they are an employee, and they can whack you both for IR35.

If you rent the round out, thats different. You are simply renting out goodwill and it won't matter who does it. But you have no control over when the work gets done, as your job is renting out the goodwill.

Thats how i see things.

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:17:09 pm »
I would definately do a zero hours contract if just starting out employing and dipping your toe in.

I employed a chap back in july on a proper contract, after 2 weeks i wanted rid of him, i got shut and luckily he didnt take me to court as my contract was poor and he might have had a case against me.

So in august when i got a lad 3 days a week i made sure i consulted ACAS for contracts and got him on zero hours. Good job as well as last week we parted ways, much easier.

Obviously if you are after a full timer you want them on proper contracts but for a couple of days etc get them on zero hours.

cleaniac

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:09:59 am »
Are you having trouble Adam keeping staff?

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:34 am »
Are you having trouble Adam keeping staff?

Yes and no mate.

Ita not easy to find the right one, especially when you are offering part time as you are either looking for an older guy who only wants some part one hours as he is slowing down in life. Or a younger guy who is perhaps coming into his first job and doesn't see it as a career just a stop gap.

I have had 3 guys.

1st one was great but he only really worked for me to get experience to start his own round.

2nd  one was a guy much much older, it quickly became apparent he was too slow

3rd one he was a young lad...worked hard but you couldn't tell him anything was slap dash.  He was good overall but I didn't like his attitude with customers and he had no respect for property etc.

I'm not really bothered it's been a good experience this year dipping the toe into employing, I've learnt loads and experienced first hand what it's like.

But I'll tell you what, now I'm back on my own I'm much faster than I was before I had the third guy. I'm doing another £50 a day of work without working any harder or longer.

So yeh overall I'm not even sure I want to employ again, I'm certainly happy on my own at the minute, earn slightly less but so much less stress.

Once I get fed up of working in my own I'll probably try again

cleaniac

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 09:46:06 am »
That is great feedback Adam.

Thank you.

Klean07

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:20 am »
Good feedback thanks.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:42 pm »
Gomo's little journey is exactly how it went for me too , I had 4 in total , the last one was spot on but got offered from elswhere what I could not equal so fair enough !
The other 3 were all lacking in some way , if I could have dumped  them all into a giant blender and reanimated 1 from the 3 I would have been onto a winner , but that only happens in twisted films  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Gringo

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »
But I'll tell you what, now I'm back on my own I'm much faster than I was before I had the third guy. I'm doing another £50 a day of work without working any harder or longer.

Gomo how do you manage an extra £50 per day, what are you doing differently, always looking to save time
Cheers Ste