This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shrek

Re: Am I being petty?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 06:08:35 pm »
The words to watch out for me are

‘ yeah if you can start this month then we’ll see how it goes’

::)roll

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 06:15:58 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mate , they dont even see me open the van doors if they come out with that little beauty , well they do , the drivers door as im getting in to drive away  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

robbo333

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:30 pm »
I think you're being a tad petty.

I would have just said, "sorry i'm too busy"...rather than 'see you next spring'. But I totally see why you did it.

You're obviously a really nice guy, took this one on face value, let your guard down a bit, and it's come back and bit you on the arse!

Most of the time we get it right, occasionally we get it wrong! Me also!

As for first cleans, I charge a bit more, depending on how long I think it will take. If the customer doesn't understand that, then I don't want them.

When I started out, I had bills to pay,  mouths to feed, I cleaned anything for a fair price (if I could get it). If not I bloody cleaned it anyway. When you're starting out, some money is better than none.

Hindsight is wonderful thing, and we can all be 'billy big b******s' looking back, but now 'i've set my stall out' and i'm happy with it.

The trick is; not to worry about the few customers that cause you arse ache, but learn how to replace them, with hopefully better customers!

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

SB Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 03:21:27 pm »
It’s not free though is it ?
As you have charged double for the first clean!
Some cleaners don’t charge extra for first clean then get binned anyway
Errr ??? Yes it is free, your giving them a clean for nothing so it is free  ;D

Charge double for 1st cleans but never offer free services just don't make sense to me !

P @ F

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:07 pm »
Technicaly its not free if you are not in the habit of charging double on every job , some jobs I take on dont even warrant extra charges first time round .
I will raise the price if its totally minging , but even then not as much as double most of the time .

This thread was started to address the one off messers , my idea does exactly that , most of them trying to have you over would either say no or not get as far as being able to claim a free clean , in which case you would not work the 6th for nothing .
If they do get that far its only 15 minutes lost per customer in all the time you service them , if you cant work that in as part of customer care then its a pretty poor show on the cleaners part , unless of course you are the  Feck em all type  , I am to a point but I do care a little  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »
I waited ages to drop this one!

Customer cancelled the cleaning as it was too cold! I thought she was joking but no she was being serious that it was too cold for ME to clean HER windows.

On THE hottest day of the year so far, it was a Wednesday at around 1-2 pm. 32-33c !!!

"Hi can you clean my windows today...?"

You can guess the reply LOL

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 05:47:22 pm »

Not a great start is it?

But I wonder if I was the customer and the customer was the window cleaner, what would I say? If I didn't know you and I was looking for a window cleaner, would I commit to a long term arrangement without knowing if the quality of that windie's work matches my expectations? Even if I was looking for a regular window cleaner, I would probably say the same thing.

Over the years I've had a few say this and have turned out to be very good customers. I've also had a few who wanted a regular cleaner and then cancelled the service by text a few days after the clean. One then sent a text a year later telling me at what time a few days later he would expect me to clean his windows again.

He's still waiting.  :D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Johnny B

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 06:10:23 pm »

Not a great start is it?

But I wonder if I was the customer and the customer was the window cleaner, what would I say? If I didn't know you and I was looking for a window cleaner, would I commit to a long term arrangement without knowing if the quality of that windie's work matches my expectations? Even if I was looking for a regular window cleaner, I would probably say the same thing.

Over the years I've had a few say this and have turned out to be very good customers. I've also had a few who wanted a regular cleaner and then cancelled the service by text a few days after the clean. One then sent a text a year later telling me at what time a few days later he would expect me to clean his windows again.

He's still waiting.  :D

I had one when I started up 21 years ago. I was canvassing and the lady abruptly told me she had sacked so many window cleaners for doing a poor job.

My response was to tell her I would do exactly the same. She must have been impressed, as she said she would give me a chance and see how things worked out.

Well she turned out to be a great customer. Never once did she complain about the quality of my work, (she was the type to do so if she had to) and I kept her right up until I had to relocate to Ireland, so she was on my books for over 14 years.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 06:19:20 pm »
Funniest one I remember:  the one that asked for a free trial.  I kid you not.
This was back in the days when savvy people jumped from one dial-up internet provider to another for the free, one-month trials (i.e. never having to pay).
My response:
"I'm a window cleaner, not an internet service provider."
He laughed.  I laughed.
I never cleaned his windows nor did he expect me to.

Spruce

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 07:41:10 pm »
Funniest one I remember:  the one that asked for a free trial.  I kid you not.
This was back in the days when savvy people jumped from one dial-up internet provider to another for the free, one-month trials (i.e. never having to pay).
My response:
"I'm a window cleaner, not an internet service provider."
He laughed.  I laughed.
I never cleaned his windows nor did he expect me to.

;D ;D ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)