This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: hot water users......water temperature/brushes/microbore.
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:00 pm »
Mine is a series 300 Thermo top C 5kw the same as pure freedom and a lot of other firms that used to sell them,the actual heater is about 8” long 6-7” wide. I know the other can look different but they work on the same principle and are the same output as mine. Mine is brand new I simply just ordered the bits and replaced what was already there it is not a DIY setup.

Splash & dash

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
who do you know with a 5kw heater thats happy with the heat it produces?(nigels heater doesnt count as his is a DIY model)

No one ,most I know had the isothermal one man 5kw by streamline , maybe some setups have different size heat exchangers and this makes a difference??????  Don’t know what the answer is I can only comment on the experience I have with mine compared to friends units

Splash & dash

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
Lol just been on Grippatank s web site they actually have photo of my heater on there site click on the boiler and the pictures come up mine is the one with the blue van floor with 25ltr resin vessel next to it , Oliver did ask if it was ok to use pictures but haven’t seen it before

Jonny 87

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 10:22:54 pm »
who do you know with a 5kw heater thats happy with the heat it produces?(nigels heater doesnt count as his is a DIY model)

A few on the old farcebook groups, and someone called Stuart on another forum. All have grippa 5kw fitted in the last year and are happy.  ???

What I don’t get, is on the grippa site the 5kw is capable of 76 degrees. That’s hot!

The problems seem to come from the streamline or pure freedom 5kw, grippa may have done something different with how they rigged it up. Still waiting on Oliver’s response.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28:23 pm »
jonny just buy the 9kw heater but make sure  its running for more than 5 mins (with the engine off!)when you go to pick it up! ;D

Might end up doing this, And I’m defitnitely doing going to do the “daz” test.  ;D
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

DeLuce

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:31 pm »
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Jonny. I've been following these not water guy threads.
I reckon for the extra £400 you might as well pop for the 9kw. Also, who knows, you might need another operator at some point! If not, you've got a system that can easily cope with the demand.
Good luck  ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:12 pm »
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Jonny. I've been following these not water guy threads.
I reckon for the extra £400 you might as well pop for the 9kw. Also, who knows, you might need another operator at some point! If not, you've got a system that can easily cope with the demand.
Good luck  ;D

It’s a tricky one ain’t it rigsby!

Nearly half the running costs of the 5kw would be nice, and I definitely think the 5kw will be more like it in the winter.

True what you say about having the capacity for the 2 man user in the future. At least it will be future proof.

dazmond

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:06 pm »
i forgot to connect my hose back to tank last night and it got down to -2 here last night.luckily my heater was ok this morning but i could of caused some frost damage.::)roll

never again...ill double check now every night.... ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:15 pm »

A few on the old farcebook groups, and someone called Stuart on another forum. All have grippa 5kw fitted in the last year and are happy.  ???

What I don’t get, is on the grippa site the 5kw is capable of 76 degrees. That’s hot!

The problems seem to come from the streamline or pure freedom 5kw, grippa may have done something different with how they rigged it up. Still waiting on Oliver’s response.

Its capable of that because that's the maxium heat it will achieve before it goes into shutdown mode.

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature as this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

What the concern is not what temperature it will reach, but can it supply enough heat to the heat exchanger to keep the water to the brush head at the required temperature?
It requires more heat to heat a flow of 5 liters of water per minute than it does 1 liter of water per minute.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:10 am »

Its capable of that because that's the maxium heat it will achieve before it goes into shutdown mode.

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature and this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

What the concern is not what temperature it will reach, but can it supply enough heat to the heat exchanger to keep the water to the brush head at the required temperature?
It requires more heat to heat a flow of 5 liters of water per minute than it does 1 liter of water per minute.

That makes sense spruce. Thanks for your input as always.

Spruce

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:08 am »

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature and this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

That makes sense spruce. Thanks for your input as always.

What you can achieve at the brush head heating on demand also depends on the base temperature. So if the water in your tank is 5 degrees then the resulting temperature at the brush head would be lower than if the water in your tank was 20 degrees.

In the test I did with my 5kw Webasto I only manged to raise the temperture at the brush head to 35 degrees with the water in the tank at 9 degrees. My flow was cold 1.5lpm at the brush, but at 35 degrees it was more with the same controller setting.
According to the calorific calculator, raising that flow of water by 26 degrees used 2.65kw of energy. That heater was giving everything it had as the water was cold after it had left the water to water plate heat exchanger - it had every bit of heat zapped from it.

Before I started this experiment on the test bench, the maths indicated to me that a 5kw heater would just manage to supply the heat requirements of 2 operators. This was in conflict with the reality as others experience was that it would just supply 1 operator.

So my next question was where the other 2.5kw was going? The exhaust got very hot so my only conclusion was that the vast majority of this 2.5kw is wasted and is lost to the atmosphere. So for every liter of diesel at £1.20 about 0.59p is not used but wasted. This is a sobering thought. 

There is a windie in Andover who uses a Thermo Top C to heat the water in his tank. He has enclosed the heater's silencer in an alloy box with a fan inside the van. (Silencers are normally fitted outside the van.) He uses that heat to warm the back of the van.

Another thing we don't see is any insulation inside these steel heater box containers. (PF are the only ones who do I believe.) So they act as radiators. The van keeps warm but lots of heat is lost in the process.

In its designed application as an engine preheater heat loss isn't terribly important as the sales pitch to fit one is that its a labour saving device, saves energy when compared to letting an engine idle to warm up so is more environmentally friendly, increased comfort getting into a warm, defrosted vehicle, no frozen windscreen to scrape,  etc, etc. So if the preheater is set for 30 minutes its only going to cost you about 40p to save all that bother. 4 mornings use for the cost of a cup of coffee at McDonalds and 7 mornings worth for a Costa Coffee, so of course you can afford to run that. (A 5kw Webasto uses less than a liter of diesel an hour 0.61l on full throttle.)

NWH

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 11:03:06 am »
I still say battery power is the key to these heaters you need well maintained topped up batteries for them to work at there optimum power,Ive had 1 for over 11 years and if you don’t have the above they won’t work like they can and it’s reflected in the temp you’ll get initially as well as constantly.

NWH

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:55 am »
As a rule now I would just change the plate exchanger and burner every 3-4 years once they are coked up you won’t get the same temps.

dd

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 05:51:32 pm »
I still say battery power is the key to these heaters you need well maintained topped up batteries for them to work at there optimum power,Ive had 1 for over 11 years and if you don’t have the above they won’t work like they can and it’s reflected in the temp you’ll get initially as well as constantly.
Why does the battery power affect the heat?

Spruce

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »

That's a good question.

They call a Webasto heater a furnace. A furnace gets hotter when the burn is supplied with more oxygen. A fan inside the Webasto spins and forces a flow of air into the combustion chamber.

The fan is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. As with all 12v motors, reducing the supply voltage will reduce the speed of the motor. So a motor receiving 11.5v will spin slower than the same motor receiving 12.5v.  As the burners only source of power is its battery, a well charged battery in peek condition will perform better than a battery that is just managing to keep up.

NWH's 5kw heater is just managing to keep up with his demands, mainly because he gives it a head start. He switches the heater on on his way to his first customer and gets the internal heating circuit hot. His battery to battery charger is also supplying a charge of 14+ volts to his furnace battery which gets that furnace blower going at a much faster rate than when the engine isn't running.

When he stops using hot water (when moving to his next customer) he continues to run the pump but directs the hot water back to his tank. This reduces the number of shut downs and restarts and means he also has hot water on demand whenever he needs it. (Each shutdown and restart takes about 6 minutes and uses a lot of battery power.)
It also results in his battery being in a better state of charge at any one time.

P @ F

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
Thats what i like about Spruce , he can take rocket science and put it into proper English  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:29 am »

That's a good question.

They call a Webasto heater a furnace. A furnace gets hotter when the burn is supplied with more oxygen. A fan inside the Webasto spins and forces a flow of air into the combustion chamber.

The fan is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. As with all 12v motors, reducing the supply voltage will reduce the speed of the motor. So a motor receiving 11.5v will spin slower than the same motor receiving 12.5v.  As the burners only source of power is its battery, a well charged battery in peek condition will perform better than a battery that is just managing to keep up.

NWH's 5kw heater is just managing to keep up with his demands, mainly because he gives it a head start. He switches the heater on on his way to his first customer and gets the internal heating circuit hot. His battery to battery charger is also supplying a charge of 14+ volts to his furnace battery which gets that furnace blower going at a much faster rate than when the engine isn't running.

When he stops using hot water (when moving to his next customer) he continues to run the pump but directs the hot water back to his tank. This reduces the number of shut downs and restarts and means he also has hot water on demand whenever he needs it. (Each shutdown and restart takes about 6 minutes and uses a lot of battery power.)
It also results in his battery being in a better state of charge at any one time.

The water doesn't get hotter just because the engines running spruce or any quicker either

dazmond

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:49 am »
I've found that my heater has a  short "stand by"  mode that's lasts for a few mins when I turn the tap off to prevent it going into shut down mode.

Spruce

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2018, 11:45:02 am »
Thats what i like about Spruce , he can take rocket science and put it into proper English  ;D

There's also another expression - b/s baffels brains.  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
I've found that my heater has a  short "stand by"  mode that's lasts for a few mins when I turn the tap off to prevent it going into shut down mode.

Yes. In its design application it goes into reduced heat mode. The 9kw heater reduces heat output from 7.6kw to 1.8kw which means you have a window to recirculate water into the tank to keep the heater burning.  The temperature of the water in the internal heating circuit when this switch into reduced heat mode happens depends on how Grippa have wired up the system and what model Webasto they have supplied, eg 90 or 90s. I seem to remember that window of reduced heat mode is about 10 degrees before the heater goes into power off mode.