Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

hot water users......water temperature/brushes/microbore.
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:14:52 pm »
so....im still getting used to using the diesel heater. ;D

i must admit im loving the hot water again but im still getting a few little niggles/worries....

WATER TEMPERATURE....i turned the temp dial down today yet i was still getting 50c(coiled hose)and 35c at brush head with 50-60m of hose out.is this ok for cold weather?(on full im getting 62c coiled hose and 40c-45c at brush end with 50-60m out).im paranoid about cracking glass now(the water is warm to the touch but not hot or lukewarm)

BRUSHES........ive destroyed my xtreme and ultimate brushes with the hot water.ill have to dig out my more robust stiff brushes methinks ;D...what brushes do you guys use?

HOSES.........my standard yellow microbore from gardiners is not really up to the job as the outer layer has started to split!(luckily its not burst it but its only a matter of time).the 6mm red thermobore from grippatank is out of stock so ive ordered the pure freedom red braided stuff.hopefully itll be able to withstand the hot water better.what do you guys use?

thanks fellow window cleaners. :)
price higher/work harder!

mufcglen

Re: hot water users......water temperature/brushes/microbore.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »
I’m running at 25-30 degrees max which feels like warm, I had to change my pole hose to the green stuff from Gardiner, microbore has been ok though.
Brush I only use the supremes myself and although the soft flocked feels a tad soft at times with hot I mainly use the medium mixed, curls a tiny bit but still good enough to use but suppose you could try a stiff brush but I’ve never got on with them personally!

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:50:34 pm »
ive been using the medium mixed natural bristle version of the xtreme and the hot water has destroyed it!

also ive been using a medium mixed ultimate that was curling up a bit with cold water,now its almost got a perm! ;D ;D

these diesel heaters are way more powerful and produce consistent heat much better than the 2 gas heaters ive used in the past.(L5,L10) :)

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:08:42 pm »
I have been running the L5 at the lowest setting and this gives me about 35/40 at the brush head , i am using Gardiner microbore and stiff extreme and ultimate brushes with no problems whatsoever .
With using hot the stiff version brushes perform just like medium mixed do .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:27 pm »
I have been running the L5 at the lowest setting and this gives me about 35/40 at the brush head , i am using Gardiner microbore and stiff extreme and ultimate brushes with no problems whatsoever .
With using hot the stiff version brushes perform just like medium mixed do .

how old is your microbore richy?mines about 2 years old( i think) but the yellow "skin" has split in quite a few places down the seam.the hose underneath is still intact though(its braided underneath).its rated up to 60c but my coiled hose reading when the heaters on full is 62-63c!in summer i reckon itll be 70c!

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:22 pm »
I reckon my Gardiner microbore is about 5 year old , out of those 5 years it has had hot use to the tune of 20 months or so .
I did replace it with the more expensive micro of the 2 that Streamline do in the middle of summer just gone , but then i swapped over to Gardiner green after a month or so to try it out .
I now have the old Gardiner micro on again as it holds the heat better than the green !
One day i will get to use my new Streamline hose , not sure when though !

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:08 pm »
Daz , IME you can only split a hose along its length through over pressuring it , or it being faulty from the outset which i dont think is the case with Gardiner micro ,  if you split it across its width then its down to being  old and brittle or just cheap !

Do you set your controller up properly to DE or just let it run to PS ?
I think running up to PS with the added heat thrown in could be a factor of early hose failure ?

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:37 pm »
Or you could just knock that dial back a bit and stop showing off ya posh git  ;D ;D ;D

I reckon 40/45 is the tops you need for glass end of , sure bang it up on poly , clad and plastics , that wont hurt !

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:55 pm »
Daz , IME you can only split a hose along its length through over pressuring it , or it being faulty from the outset which i dont think is the case with Gardiner micro ,  if you split it across its width then its down to being  old and brittle or just cheap !

Do you set your controller up properly to DE or just let it run to PS ?
I think running up to PS with the added heat thrown in could be a factor of early hose failure ?

normally its DE mate but i was working with a high flow today and lowered the CAL as the pump was shutting off late which could have over pressurised it.throw in the heat and end up with split hose!

do you remember me blowing up the orange hose from gardiners they used to sell a few years ago with hot water?it turned into pasta twists then split spewing hot water everywhere!(i never learn!) ;D ;D ::)roll

NWH

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:53 pm »
Best brush-brushes are the medium Gardiner black and white or medium yellow,if your cleaning PVC go all out hot you won’t have any trouble with them unless they are already cracked. You need to watch out for the paper thin glass on old houses or Windows that give no flex to the glass in the frame,the Windows give you a chance if you listen when cleaning them they creak before they pop don’t hold the brush on the glass for any length of time if you are a slow WFPoler you’ll be more likely to pop the odd pane.

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:15 pm »
We use supream stiff brushes that’s what Gardiners recomend with hot water , I never bother to cheak the temperature but it’s hot to the touch you would t want to keep your hand under it ,
Hose wise we have 2 fixed reels one has Grippatank red hot hose on it exelent hose but heavy , on the other one we have normal Grippatank yellow microbore , far more user friendly we generally find that it needs replacing after 2 years the red hose is 3 years old and no sign of it needing replacement, yellow is fine with hot water but don’t over stretch in and rip the inner matrix or it will balloon up and pop we drag ours around loads of pebbledashed walls and it still survives for 2 years

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:07 pm »
cheers guys.the pure freedom red hose will hopefully be as good as the red grippahose!

if you cant keep your hand under the hot water from your brush then it must be 50c + reflections?do you always run your heater on full whack?as i know you have the same heater as me.(hydroheat).cheers mate.

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:44 pm »
cheers guys.the pure freedom red hose will hopefully be as good as the red grippahose!

if you cant keep your hand under the hot water from your brush then it must be 50c + reflections?do you always run your heater on full whack?as i know you have the same heater as me.(hydroheat).cheers mate.

Yes we run it on maximum heat 8 hours a day I do sumtimes turn it down to minimum in the summer or occasionally turn it off at lunch time , but winter time flat out all the time I did crack a small pain a few weeks ago but cleaning thousands of pains of glass per year I think that’s inevitable at some point , Ime in Cornwall so we don’t get it as cold as you do but regularly have steam coming of the glass first thing in the mornings , I think if you crack a pain there is something wrong with it anyway already small crack or chip or pain incorrectly packed , I spoke to a friend who is a glazier and he said many window fitters pack the glass to tight to the frames and that in the summer months glass will crack as it cannot expand with the heat from the sun as it’s packed to tight so there’s no room for expansion , so the same must be true if we put hot water on it the one I cracked Ime sure that was why it happened as they had only had new windows fitted a few weeks before and I didn’t have any problems with any of the other windows all cleaned with the same temperature water

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 08:50:56 am »
Daz what is the lowest setting you could have it set at?

For me 50degrees is way too hot if that’s yours on low and with A coiled up hose.

I’m sure I’ve heard it said that to prevent thermal shock you need to clean with water no more than 30 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

We have it hovver around zero for weeks on end, so id be risking most windows.

Id want the option of about 30 degrees out the brush head (warm to the touch) on a low setting.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 09:04:03 am »
Daz what is the lowest setting you could have it set at?

For me 50degrees is way too hot if that’s yours on low and with A coiled up hose.

I’m sure I’ve heard it said that to prevent thermal shock you need to clean with water no more than 30 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

We have it hovver around zero for weeks on end, so id be risking most windows.

Id want the option of about 30 degrees out the brush head (warm to the touch) on a low setting.
my temperature dial is virtually turned all the way up to the min setting and im still getting 50c with coiled up hose but when i start unreeling it goes down to around 35c with 50-60m out.this will go down even further on freezing ground so i reckon your looking at 30c at brush end on a very cold morning. :)

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:38:39 am »
I think Daz its just going to be a learning curve for you mate , you will get to know where to set the dial after a while just by taking note of the ambient temps and amount of hose out at any given time , for me its a case of 10 celsius or more ambient temp i set to minimum , if below 10 then i turn up the dial by 1cm .
This gives me water at brush of 35/40 which is ample as i am way down SW my luvver  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:45:56 am »
With regard to hot hose , dont know about the PF stuff , but i had a reel of the Grippa red in 8mm i think it was , i found it heavy and sticky to the touch when in use with hot , maybe it has changed as it was a while ago on the last van

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 11:56:02 am »
Wow , i just relised that that pic was taken after my stroke 3 years ago today !
I had my liscence revoked and had to get the old man to help out , i had the system and fobbed him off with the backpack  ;D

He soon got  >:( >:( >:( so this was what i cobbled together from bits in the garage , then he was all  :D :D :D again !

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 12:03:16 pm »
With regard to hot hose , dont know about the PF stuff , but i had a reel of the Grippa red in 8mm i think it was , i found it heavy and sticky to the touch when in use with hot , maybe it has changed as it was a while ago on the last van

ive had the red 8mm hose too mate.i binned it as it was too heavy.great tough hose though and perfect for hot water but now they do a 6mm version which will be easier to manage.i think the pure freedom stuff is the same sort of hose.

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:40 pm »
Ah well thats a bonus being 6mm as it shouldnt be far off the standard weight , as you say , it was great quality but heavy in 8mm , maybe it was just my fingers that were sticky  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 12:08:01 pm »
Wow , i just relised that that pic was taken after my stroke 3 years ago today !
I had my liscence revoked and had to get the old man to help out , i had the system and fobbed him off with the backpack  ;D

He soon got  >:( >:( >:( so this was what i cobbled together from bits in the garage , then he was all  :D :D :D again !

i remember mate.hope your looking after yourself these days rich.keep off the cigarettes,booze and fried ups.

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 12:09:59 pm »
Ah well thats a bonus being 6mm as it shouldnt be far off the standard weight , as you say , it was great quality but heavy in 8mm , maybe it was just my fingers that were sticky  ;D

i remember it being sticky too rich (when it was brand new but it wore off after a few weeks of use.)

P @ F

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:30 pm »

i remember it being sticky too rich (when it was brand new but it wore off after a few weeks of use.)

I didnt give it time then , it came off quicker than it went on after reeling it in once !

I am looking after myself these days , no smoking , better diet , as for beer , thats down a lot , but one step at a time eh  ;D
And im taking it easy hence the 250 L refit , I came home after 3 hours yesterday with £120 in my pocket and the shame of still having 50 L left in the tank , it breaks me this working smarter milarkey  ;)

Slacky

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
Im using the 6mm Grippa red hose. Temp is set to max.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:51 am »
Im using the 6mm Grippa red hose. Temp is set to max.

Even on a cold morning like it's going to be tomorrow matt? It's forecast to be 0c first thing. If it's on max u won't be able to see the windows for the steam surely?

Slacky

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »
Dunno 😀 I’ll see what it’s like tomorrow.

Jonny 87

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »
I’m thinking if this is how hot the 9kw gets, id need to get the 5kw version.

Surely that would give 40 degrees at the brush head normally.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Splash & dash

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »

Avoid the 5kw at all cost it’s rubbish waist of money 9 kw is the one to have you can adjust the temperature to suite on Grippatank one Ionic’s has only 2 settings winter and summer not very good really as no additional adjustment

NWH

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
I have a 5kw watt and they are not rubbish if you speak to someone who knows about them they will tell you the 9kw version are more hassle.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 08:02:34 am »
I have a 5kw watt and they are not rubbish if you speak to someone who knows about them they will tell you the 9kw version are more hassle.

in what way are the 9kw heaters more hassle?

what put me off getting a 5kw heater were all the window cleaners who bought the pure freedom ones they used to sell.they all said they werent powerful enough and the water would only get lukewarm/warm.

id be seriously annoyed if id of spent all that money on one for warm water.

ive just heard what i thought was a low flying jumbo jet outside my flat but its just the frost stat thats kicked in! ;D

slap bash

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:57 am »
For the above reason, I don`t use hot water. I had a chat with a PU hot water hose manufacturing chap. He said only a rubber hose would be able to handle hot water as PU hose we use will delaminate when the water reaches over 60 degrees. What he did say was that once it was exposed to hot it will deteriorate rapidly. He also said it would get soft and once cooled it would become increasingly hard and not flex as it should. Also, fittings would become unreliable and prone to cracking. All this is why I do not use hot water. Furthermore, he said using water over 30 degrees was putting you PU component under stress and would reduce the life of the parts. He also added that once the parts have been exposed to over 60 degrees the PU become irreversibly damaged and this damage was an instance. You would not even notice it has happened.
I always thought once it cooled down it quality would return to a good hose which he said "no its Fuceeed".
Armed with this information I decided to stop wasting money and stick with cold water. EG hot pressure water hoses.
P.s. only rubber hoses would handle but are heavy. The chaps installing hot water systems are leading us a merry dance as they only heat water and have not considered the total system.

slap bash

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 09:27:04 am »
I am sure there will be many very disappointed investors in H/W  systems that will attack me and my bad news as this is the norm for CTU members but save your rath and do some research before you try to justify your investment to me and others who have found out the facts.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:09 am »
Complete ball poop I have had the same reel of micro ore on for 3 years my 5kw heater puts out water hot enough to make it look like the windows are on fire,the key is fully charged batteries.

Jonny 87

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 02:07:35 pm »
Complete ball poop I have had the same reel of micro ore on for 3 years my 5kw heater puts out water hot enough to make it look like the windows are on fire,the key is fully charged batteries.

Is your webasto 5kw the same as grippa sell?

I’m tempted To op for the 5kw as I think it will
Suit my needs better.

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:31 pm »
i decided to test my water temperature again today.im gonna keep my heater on full whack from now on and stop faffing about with it!apparently these heaters work best on full power and continous running.

on full whack with 100m off the reel on freezing ground i was getting 27c at brush end which is fine for a cold day(ambient air temperature was 1c).with 50-60m off the reel it was 33c which again is fine.

obviously the temperature will be higher on a warmer day but then again the glass will be able to take the extra heat. ;)

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 04:48:11 pm »

yours only gets hot enough because you ve tweaked something(which invalidates the warranty)nigel.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:22 pm »
No it doesn’t no Daz I’ve had to do away with that centre pipe as I’ve changed my heat exchanger and now have no needle valve to adjust the temp at the moment,it just means it’s running the same as a normal 5 kw heater on full heat setting.

NWH

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:09 pm »
Mine is a thermo top C not the. Same as the grippa but it works the same and produces the same temps 5 or 9 kw

dd

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »
No it doesn’t no Daz I’ve had to do away with that centre pipe as I’ve changed my heat exchanger and now have no needle valve to adjust the temp at the moment,it just means it’s running the same as a normal 5 kw heater on full heat setting.
If you no longer have your modified 5kw heater what made you feel the need to modify the previous one?

Splash & dash

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:49 pm »
For the above reason, I don`t use hot water. I had a chat with a PU hot water hose manufacturing chap. He said only a rubber hose would be able to handle hot water as PU hose we use will delaminate when the water reaches over 60 degrees. What he did say was that once it was exposed to hot it will deteriorate rapidly. He also said it would get soft and once cooled it would become increasingly hard and not flex as it should. Also, fittings would become unreliable and prone to cracking. All this is why I do not use hot water. Furthermore, he said using water over 30 degrees was putting you PU component under stress and would reduce the life of the parts. He also added that once the parts have been exposed to over 60 degrees the PU become irreversibly damaged and this damage was an instance. You would not even notice it has happened.
I always thought once it cooled down it quality would return to a good hose which he said "no its Fuceeed".
Armed with this information I decided to stop wasting money and stick with cold water. EG hot pressure water hoses.
P.s. only rubber hoses would handle but are heavy. The chaps installing hot water systems are leading us a merry dance as they only heat water and have not considered the total system.

It’s very easy to repeat what some I’ll informed person says the only true bit in your statement is that the microbore does go a bit harder when cold but Ime still using the same hose 3 years later talk to people who have and use these systems not some one who hasn’t got or run one , it’s like Chinese whispers 😂😂😂😂

Splash & dash

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
i decided to test my water temperature again today.im gonna keep my heater on full whack from now on and stop faffing about with it!apparently these heaters work best on full power and continous running.

on full whack with 100m off the reel on freezing ground i was getting 27c at brush end which is fine for a cold day(ambient air temperature was 1c).with 50-60m off the reel it was 33c which again is fine.

obviously the temperature will be higher on a warmer day but then again the glass will be able to take the extra heat. ;)

That’s the way to do it the less fiddling the better , oviously you have to be sensible we run ours flat out winter time , turn it down or off at lunch time in the summer as you cannot touch the hose to reel it in as it’s that hot !!!!

Splash & dash

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 09:02:13 pm »

I doubt you would get 40 degrees from a 5 kw everyone I know who has had that model has said it’s not hot enough and then got rid of it and got the 9 kw very expensive way of doing it :

Splash & dash

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 09:09:48 pm »

I will rephrase  that last comment everyone I know who has bought the 5 kw has realised they made a very expensive mistake and then up graded to the 9kw model 5 kw is fine for blown air heating in a van but not powerful enough to heat water for windowcleaning in winter months unless you alter the by pass flow which then invalidates the warranty, most wfp installers now admit this unit isn’t really suitable ask Oliver from Grippatank, I had a very long discussion with him about all the options before I bought mine and had a play with friends 5 kw boilers they have now all upgraded to the 9 kw as it’s far more versatile unit and more suited to the way the wi Dow cleaning industry uses them , if you want really hot water the 12 kw one would be nice to have 😎😎😎😎😎

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:33 am »

That’s the way to do it the less fiddling the better , oviously you have to be sensible we run ours flat out winter time , turn it down or off at lunch time in the summer as you cannot touch the hose to reel it in as it’s that hot !!!!

i want 50-60c in summertime at brush end for the snail trails,bird dirt,sticky pollen,fly spots etc so i dont think ill be turning it off mate.i have quite a lot of 2 monthly jobs that are like first cleans in the summer months!

NWH

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 12:15:18 pm »
I tweaked mine because I was informed the reason it wasn’t getting hot enough is because as you say it’s a 5 kw heater,I was still having trouble with it turning off and not getting hot constantly. I changed everything on it I got a new boiler and burner heat exchanger fuel pump basically replaced the lot,my main problem was battery power for it and also an old plate exchanger since having a mains hook up and a split B-B charger it now works lovley hot all day long. 60 odd degrees at the brush is lovley but it’s far to hot for window cleaning more suited to weatherboard cleaning. Even in summer if you use water that hot you’ll still stress the glass and on a cold day when the weather changes they can still all of a sudden go pop I e had it happen 

Jonny 87

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:30 pm »

I doubt you would get 40 degrees from a 5 kw everyone I know who has had that model has said it’s not hot enough and then got rid of it and got the 9 kw very expensive way of doing it :

Thanks for the advice Reflections. :)

NWH

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:49 pm »
You will get  40 degrees from a 5 kw mines been higher than that today,the 9 kw is for 2 users.

dazmond

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2018, 06:30:16 pm »
the ambient air temperature was higher today(5c) so i was getting 45c at brush end on some jobs with 25-30m of hose out.i had a filthy first clean to do which ive picked up off an old trad windy i know.he s never touched the frames in years!the customer was well happy! ;D

i am being more careful though and just used a damp cloth on any wooden single pane windows and avoided any windows with any signs of a crack(however small)! ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:15 pm »
Seems like I’m gonna have to do a bit more research.

Spoke to a few guys who have the grippa 5kw and they say for a single operator it’s plenty.

Grippas website say 5kw is capable of a max 76 degrees!

In the winter time I would like it to be capable of turning down to between 20-30 degrees, which will still steam up the windows and be warm to the touch, keep any frost off etc, then In summer if I got 40 at the brush head I’d be happy.

The hunt goes on.  ;D

NWH

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 11:11:06 pm »
😂 honestly it’s more than hot enough my water is to hot to hold your hand under it for more than a couple of seconds when it’s up to speed,I have a good flow of water when I’m working 70-75 on the flow controller if I turned it down and worked on a flow that most do trying to save water it would be even hotter. The 9 kw boiler is so you can have 2 users producing the same sort of temperatures a single 5kw user will get,I wouldn’t want the water any hotter than I’m now getting it would be cracking glass on a regular basis.

dazmond

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »
how come pure freedom have stopped selling their 5kw heaters?

i would of bought the 5kw heater if i thought it would of been hot enough.its quite a bit cheaper.

NWH

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 11:39:51 pm »
Of course it’s cheaper Daz than the twin user 9 kw, with the twin user you need 2 of everything like I say it produces water easily hot enough to clean windows with any hotter than mine now is would be to hot. If you are only getting 20-30 degrees it doesn’t sound right m8 regardless of ambient temperatures and whatever hose your using,What are the batteries saying on the controller I’m pulling up and getting 13-8V when going from job to job and then it seems to stabilise at 12-6-8 this seems to playing a big part in the temp I’m getting.

NWH

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2018, 11:48:59 pm »
I recirculated the water the last couple of days on 20 on the controller within 10 minutes when I pulled up it was reading 72 degrees,when I turned up and started working it was so hot it was spitting out of the brush the time it takes or would take to get to 30 degrees I would have more than finished that particular job.

NWH

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2018, 11:50:15 pm »
When it drops below 20-25 degrees it should fire it back up to well over 40-50 degrees.

Jonny 87

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:18 am »
how come pure freedom have stopped selling their 5kw heaters?

i would of bought the 5kw heater if i thought it would of been hot enough.its quite a bit cheaper.

I don’t think grippa would sell a 5kw with those stats on Their website if it wasn’t up the task surely?

I’ll email Oliver for some advice I think.

All the research seems to say 5kw for one user is fine. 2 users or more though, and obviously your going to need the 9kw to nearly double the capacity.

Plus the 5kw is more efficient on fuel which is nice.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 07:40:44 am »
Yes speak to Oliver.  I know he recommended to  me the better one following feedback he had received.

Considering the money your paying anyway it would be silly to scrimp at the last hurdle to save a few hundred.

It's like buying a new car and picking the smaller engine model to save a small amount.  Only to find it struggles going up hill and puts more strain on the engine in normal use.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Jonny 87

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 07:47:28 am »
Yes speak to Oliver.  I know he recommended to  me the better one following feedback he had received.

Considering the money your paying anyway it would be silly to scrimp at the last hurdle to save a few hundred.

It's like buying a new car and picking the smaller engine model to save a small amount.  Only to find it struggles going up hill and puts more strain on the engine in normal use.

I see what your saying, but from the experiences I’ve been hearing about online, the 5kw machine is more reliable, it uses less fuel, and for a one man operator like me in Scotland, the 9kw would actually be producing water so hot, that I wouldn’t want to touch cold glass with it, even on minimum.

It’s a doozie! lol.

It’s been sub zero temperatures for about a month now, no way would I want 40 degrees on glass this time of year, I clean a lot of large properties with huge panes of glass, and that kind of change in temperature can’t be Good, id be waiting for the pop.

dazmond

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
Of course it’s cheaper Daz than the twin user 9 kw, with the twin user you need 2 of everything like I say it produces water easily hot enough to clean windows with any hotter than mine now is would be to hot. If you are only getting 20-30 degrees it doesn’t sound right m8 regardless of ambient temperatures and whatever hose your using,What are the batteries saying on the controller I’m pulling up and getting 13-8V when going from job to job and then it seems to stabilise at 12-6-8 this seems to playing a big part in the temp I’m getting.

i was getting 27c at brush head with 100m of hose out on frosty ground on monday morning.33c with say 60m of hose out.ambient air temperature 0c.i wouldnt want it hotter than that nigel on a cold day.

as for the  batteries their brand new. i also have the smart split charge relay like you.it reads 13.9 with engine running and reads anywhere between 12.7/12.6/12.5/12.4. during the day with my heater running and engine off.

yesterday was warmer(5c)and no frosty ground and i generally i had less hose off the reel so i was getting 40-45c at brush head with heater on full power.im happy with that. :)

dazmond

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:36 am »
ive got full UPVC/conny roof clean to do this afternoon so the hot water will help. :)

dazmond

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:37 am »

I see what your saying, but from the experiences I’ve been hearing about online, the 5kw machine is more reliable, it uses less fuel, and for a one man operator like me in Scotland, the 9kw would actually be producing water so hot, that I wouldn’t want to touch cold glass with it, even on minimum.

It’s a doozie! lol.

It’s been sub zero temperatures for about a month now, no way would I want 40 degrees on glass this time of year, I clean a lot of large properties with huge panes of glass, and that kind of change in temperature can’t be Good, id be waiting for the pop.

if its sub zero you wont get 40 degrees at brush end with a load of hose out jonny.i was getting 27c with 100m out on frosty ground ( 0c ambient air temperature.)33c with around 50-60m out.

oliver said i would get 20-30 at brush head with lots of hose off the reel on a cold day.up to 60c in the summertime on a hot day.

remember nigel hasnt got a grippatank heater,we have.(his has been modified DIY style by himself)

NWH

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 10:17:32 am »
This morning I’m getting a constant 53-55 degrees 60-70 meters out of the van when I’m reeling back in and the hose is packed back on the reel it’s smoking with heat and dew from the grass 😂

NWH

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:47 am »
Above 45-50 the water almost evaporates as your scrubbing the glass lovley stuff driving off they are almost dry.

Jonny 87

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 11:39:09 am »

It’s a doozie! lol.

if its sub zero you wont get 40 degrees at brush end with a load of hose out jonny.i was getting 27c with 100m out on frosty ground ( 0c ambient air temperature.)33c with around 50-60m out.

oliver said i would get 20-30 at brush head with lots of hose off the reel on a cold day.up to 60c in the summertime on a hot day.

remember nigel hasnt got a grippatank heater,we have.(his has been modified DIY style by himself)

Ok mate, I see what your saying.

I’m Curious as to how the 5kw version on grippas website says a max output of 76 degrees.  ???

Even if that was with all the hose on the reel, it’s not going to lose 30 or 40 degrees due to the cold ground.

When my immersion got the water up to 40 degrees in the tank, that was plenty for a cold day, about 20 degrees on the glass.

I’m also in touch with someone here who r gently got the 5kw version, and he says it is very hot for one man.

I’m Wondering  if your 9kw is under performing?

I’ve emailed Oliver for his advice.

NWH

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 02:15:41 pm »
I’ve just been getting a constant 55-58 degrees with the flow controller on 80 for over 45 minutes it drops slightly to 45 but once the fuel pump on the heater kicks in it’s quickly back up to over 50. Again that is too hot to hold your hand under it for more than a couple of seconds,there’s no way you need water any hotter than that for cleaning windows or PVC the dirt melts off whatever you are cleaning.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »
How are u guys measuring your temp out of brush head?  I go by feel but want to measure real temp.

I have a tds stick but even if I hold it in a mug it takes a while for the temp to raise on the stick.  Took about a minute to provide max reading.   

Holding stick into the flowing water won't work as it will play havok with electronics when getting wet through. 

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dazmond

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 03:11:02 pm »
i was getting 53c at the brush head this afternoon on the conny roof/UPVC add on job.i only had around 30m off the reel though.

i was done and dusted in less than 90 mins(£100 job)happy days!the hot water certainly helped! 8)

dazmond

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »

It’s a doozie! lol.

I’m Curious as to how the 5kw version on grippas website says a max output of 76 degrees.  ???

Even if that was with all the hose on the reel, it’s not going to lose 30 or 40 degrees due to the cold ground.

When my immersion got the water up to 40 degrees in the tank, that was plenty for a cold day, about 20 degrees on the glass.

I’m also in touch with someone here who r gently got the 5kw version, and he says it is very hot for one man.

under performing?you must be joking jonny!its been getting up to 45c-53c at brush end today(no freezing ground and around 9c with 30-40m off the reel).thats plenty hot enough. :)

dazmond

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 03:21:12 pm »
i reckon you could easily lose 20-30c with 100m of hose out on frosty ground.esp if its standard microbore like mine.

NWH

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »
My inline frost stat monitor reads the same as my handheld TDS temp gauge if you are getting 20-30 degrees with a 5 kw heater it should only be reading that as the heat has dropped over a short period,it should within a shortish time be getting back up to temp. I bet there’s a few people using the 5 kw without sufficient charge in there batteries,they will struggle to get constant flow of hot water.

Jonny 87

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »

It’s a doozie! lol.

under performing?you must be joking jonny!its been getting up to 45c-53c at brush end today(no freezing ground and around 9c with 30-40m off the reel).thats plenty hot enough. :)

Is that it on max temp?

What I’m trying to work out is that the temps your getting seem to line up with those who have the 5kw, your mayb 10 degrees higher or so, but the heaters using an extra 4kw of power.

The 9kw is designed for two Man systems, so if you had two pumps running off that it would probably struggle?

dazmond

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »

It’s a doozie! lol.

Is that it on max temp?

What I’m trying to work out is that the temps your getting seem to line up with those who have the 5kw, your mayb 10 degrees higher or so, but the heaters using an extra 4kw of power.

The 9kw is designed for two Man systems, so if you had two pumps running off that it would probably struggle?

yep jonny im running it on full power.no idea about 2 man operation as mine is a one man system.its hot enough for me thats for sure. ;D

dd

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »
How does having the batteries fully charged effect the temperature?

I am not technically minded but would have thought the temperature was as a result of being fed by the diesel. I do not see how the battery not being fully charged should affect this too much.

If the battery gets too low the controller should simply cut the power anyway.

dazmond

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 05:37:56 pm »
my batteries are still nearly at full charge at the end of my working day due to my split charge relay.i do top them up every night though with a numax 20amp charger.(2 x105 ah batteries).

some say these heaters are heavy on the batteries but ive not found that to be the case even when parked up for hours with my heater on full power. :)

Splash & dash

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »
You will get  40 degrees from a 5 kw mines been higher than that today,the 9 kw is for 2 users.

If you haven’t got much hose out maybe  I have several friends who had the 5kw model and if you had 60 + meters of hose out the water wasn’t Evan Luke warm , they have all now got the 9 kw model and at that distancce it’s hot there is a huge difference, when I spoke to Oliver at Grippatank he recommended the 9 better to have more than you need and turn it down rather than be running on maximum and it’s only just Luke warm , everyone is entitled to there opinion but I would hate to see people spend thousands of pounds and not be happy with the temperature they need to see one in action before committing to a purchase , as I said all my friends were very disappointed with there’s and we are in a relatively warm part of the country

NWH

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 05:58:56 pm »
If anyone on here gives me there email I can I will send them a video of mine working if they don’t believe me,Luke warm if mine was that I would not even bother turning it on tbh have these people got a fairly good conditioned heat exchanger and burner. Like I say batteries play a huge part with these heaters if they don’t get enough power they hardly heat up.

Jonny 87

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:35 pm »

If you haven’t got much hose out maybe  I have several friends who had the 5kw model and if you had 60 + meters of hose out the water wasn’t Evan Luke warm , they have all now got the 9 kw model and at that distancce it’s hot there is a huge difference, when I spoke to Oliver at Grippatank he recommended the 9 better to have more than you need and turn it down rather than be running on maximum and it’s only just Luke warm , everyone is entitled to there opinion but I would hate to see people spend thousands of pounds and not be happy with the temperature they need to see one in action before committing to a purchase , as I said all my friends were very disappointed with there’s and we are in a relatively warm part of the country

Your friends that had the 5kw were they running as single operators? Or two man systems?

It’s comfusing that I seem to be getting different answers and different heat readings from different people.  ???

I’ve emailed Oliver today, but no response yet. Will See what he recommends.

Thanks for your help. 👍

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »

Your friends that had the 5kw were they running as single operators? Or two man systems?

It’s comfusing that I seem to be getting different answers and different heat readings from different people.  ???

Thanks for your help. 👍

I guess the different answers are because  of the method used to take temp reads.  I did put the question up earlier as the tds sticks won't read correctly when I tried it. But no one replied  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 06:45:40 pm »
who do you know with a 5kw heater thats happy with the heat it produces?(nigels heater doesnt count as his is a DIY model)

Splash & dash

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:48 pm »

Thanks for your help. 👍

They were single operators and ves the batteries were fine mine is a duel operator 9 kw I think there maybe descrepencies with the way people are measuring temperature. And amount of hose out , and 6 mm hose will loose heat quickly if on cold ground with 100 meters out again flow rate will affect temperature

dazmond

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
jonny just buy the 9kw heater but make sure  its running for more than 5 mins (with the engine off!)when you go to pick it up! ;D

NWH

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 07:12:00 pm »
Mine is a series 300 Thermo top C 5kw the same as pure freedom and a lot of other firms that used to sell them,the actual heater is about 8” long 6-7” wide. I know the other can look different but they work on the same principle and are the same output as mine. Mine is brand new I simply just ordered the bits and replaced what was already there it is not a DIY setup.

Splash & dash

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »
who do you know with a 5kw heater thats happy with the heat it produces?(nigels heater doesnt count as his is a DIY model)

No one ,most I know had the isothermal one man 5kw by streamline , maybe some setups have different size heat exchangers and this makes a difference??????  Don’t know what the answer is I can only comment on the experience I have with mine compared to friends units

Splash & dash

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
Lol just been on Grippatank s web site they actually have photo of my heater on there site click on the boiler and the pictures come up mine is the one with the blue van floor with 25ltr resin vessel next to it , Oliver did ask if it was ok to use pictures but haven’t seen it before

Jonny 87

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 10:22:54 pm »

A few on the old farcebook groups, and someone called Stuart on another forum. All have grippa 5kw fitted in the last year and are happy.  ???

What I don’t get, is on the grippa site the 5kw is capable of 76 degrees. That’s hot!

The problems seem to come from the streamline or pure freedom 5kw, grippa may have done something different with how they rigged it up. Still waiting on Oliver’s response.

Jonny 87

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28:23 pm »
jonny just buy the 9kw heater but make sure  its running for more than 5 mins (with the engine off!)when you go to pick it up! ;D

Might end up doing this, And I’m defitnitely doing going to do the “daz” test.  ;D

DeLuce

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:31 pm »
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Jonny. I've been following these not water guy threads.
I reckon for the extra £400 you might as well pop for the 9kw. Also, who knows, you might need another operator at some point! If not, you've got a system that can easily cope with the demand.
Good luck  ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:12 pm »
I'm in exactly the same boat as you Jonny. I've been following these not water guy threads.
I reckon for the extra £400 you might as well pop for the 9kw. Also, who knows, you might need another operator at some point! If not, you've got a system that can easily cope with the demand.
Good luck  ;D

It’s a tricky one ain’t it rigsby!

Nearly half the running costs of the 5kw would be nice, and I definitely think the 5kw will be more like it in the winter.

True what you say about having the capacity for the 2 man user in the future. At least it will be future proof.

dazmond

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:06 pm »
i forgot to connect my hose back to tank last night and it got down to -2 here last night.luckily my heater was ok this morning but i could of caused some frost damage.::)roll

never again...ill double check now every night.... ::)roll

Spruce

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:15 pm »

A few on the old farcebook groups, and someone called Stuart on another forum. All have grippa 5kw fitted in the last year and are happy.  ???

What I don’t get, is on the grippa site the 5kw is capable of 76 degrees. That’s hot!

The problems seem to come from the streamline or pure freedom 5kw, grippa may have done something different with how they rigged it up. Still waiting on Oliver’s response.

Its capable of that because that's the maxium heat it will achieve before it goes into shutdown mode.

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature as this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

What the concern is not what temperature it will reach, but can it supply enough heat to the heat exchanger to keep the water to the brush head at the required temperature?
It requires more heat to heat a flow of 5 liters of water per minute than it does 1 liter of water per minute.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:10 am »

Its capable of that because that's the maxium heat it will achieve before it goes into shutdown mode.

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature and this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

What the concern is not what temperature it will reach, but can it supply enough heat to the heat exchanger to keep the water to the brush head at the required temperature?
It requires more heat to heat a flow of 5 liters of water per minute than it does 1 liter of water per minute.

That makes sense spruce. Thanks for your input as always.

Spruce

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:08 am »

Remember, its designed as an engine preheater. It will circulate and reheat the water in the vehicles engine until it reaches this temperature. It would be a waste of time heating it to a higher temperature and this is when the thermostat in the engine will open to allow hot water through the radiator to be cooled.

That makes sense spruce. Thanks for your input as always.

What you can achieve at the brush head heating on demand also depends on the base temperature. So if the water in your tank is 5 degrees then the resulting temperature at the brush head would be lower than if the water in your tank was 20 degrees.

In the test I did with my 5kw Webasto I only manged to raise the temperture at the brush head to 35 degrees with the water in the tank at 9 degrees. My flow was cold 1.5lpm at the brush, but at 35 degrees it was more with the same controller setting.
According to the calorific calculator, raising that flow of water by 26 degrees used 2.65kw of energy. That heater was giving everything it had as the water was cold after it had left the water to water plate heat exchanger - it had every bit of heat zapped from it.

Before I started this experiment on the test bench, the maths indicated to me that a 5kw heater would just manage to supply the heat requirements of 2 operators. This was in conflict with the reality as others experience was that it would just supply 1 operator.

So my next question was where the other 2.5kw was going? The exhaust got very hot so my only conclusion was that the vast majority of this 2.5kw is wasted and is lost to the atmosphere. So for every liter of diesel at £1.20 about 0.59p is not used but wasted. This is a sobering thought. 

There is a windie in Andover who uses a Thermo Top C to heat the water in his tank. He has enclosed the heater's silencer in an alloy box with a fan inside the van. (Silencers are normally fitted outside the van.) He uses that heat to warm the back of the van.

Another thing we don't see is any insulation inside these steel heater box containers. (PF are the only ones who do I believe.) So they act as radiators. The van keeps warm but lots of heat is lost in the process.

In its designed application as an engine preheater heat loss isn't terribly important as the sales pitch to fit one is that its a labour saving device, saves energy when compared to letting an engine idle to warm up so is more environmentally friendly, increased comfort getting into a warm, defrosted vehicle, no frozen windscreen to scrape,  etc, etc. So if the preheater is set for 30 minutes its only going to cost you about 40p to save all that bother. 4 mornings use for the cost of a cup of coffee at McDonalds and 7 mornings worth for a Costa Coffee, so of course you can afford to run that. (A 5kw Webasto uses less than a liter of diesel an hour 0.61l on full throttle.)

NWH

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 11:03:06 am »
I still say battery power is the key to these heaters you need well maintained topped up batteries for them to work at there optimum power,Ive had 1 for over 11 years and if you don’t have the above they won’t work like they can and it’s reflected in the temp you’ll get initially as well as constantly.

NWH

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:55 am »
As a rule now I would just change the plate exchanger and burner every 3-4 years once they are coked up you won’t get the same temps.

dd

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 05:51:32 pm »
I still say battery power is the key to these heaters you need well maintained topped up batteries for them to work at there optimum power,Ive had 1 for over 11 years and if you don’t have the above they won’t work like they can and it’s reflected in the temp you’ll get initially as well as constantly.
Why does the battery power affect the heat?

Spruce

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »

That's a good question.

They call a Webasto heater a furnace. A furnace gets hotter when the burn is supplied with more oxygen. A fan inside the Webasto spins and forces a flow of air into the combustion chamber.

The fan is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. As with all 12v motors, reducing the supply voltage will reduce the speed of the motor. So a motor receiving 11.5v will spin slower than the same motor receiving 12.5v.  As the burners only source of power is its battery, a well charged battery in peek condition will perform better than a battery that is just managing to keep up.

NWH's 5kw heater is just managing to keep up with his demands, mainly because he gives it a head start. He switches the heater on on his way to his first customer and gets the internal heating circuit hot. His battery to battery charger is also supplying a charge of 14+ volts to his furnace battery which gets that furnace blower going at a much faster rate than when the engine isn't running.

When he stops using hot water (when moving to his next customer) he continues to run the pump but directs the hot water back to his tank. This reduces the number of shut downs and restarts and means he also has hot water on demand whenever he needs it. (Each shutdown and restart takes about 6 minutes and uses a lot of battery power.)
It also results in his battery being in a better state of charge at any one time.

P @ F

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
Thats what i like about Spruce , he can take rocket science and put it into proper English  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:29 am »

That's a good question.

They call a Webasto heater a furnace. A furnace gets hotter when the burn is supplied with more oxygen. A fan inside the Webasto spins and forces a flow of air into the combustion chamber.

The fan is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. As with all 12v motors, reducing the supply voltage will reduce the speed of the motor. So a motor receiving 11.5v will spin slower than the same motor receiving 12.5v.  As the burners only source of power is its battery, a well charged battery in peek condition will perform better than a battery that is just managing to keep up.

NWH's 5kw heater is just managing to keep up with his demands, mainly because he gives it a head start. He switches the heater on on his way to his first customer and gets the internal heating circuit hot. His battery to battery charger is also supplying a charge of 14+ volts to his furnace battery which gets that furnace blower going at a much faster rate than when the engine isn't running.

When he stops using hot water (when moving to his next customer) he continues to run the pump but directs the hot water back to his tank. This reduces the number of shut downs and restarts and means he also has hot water on demand whenever he needs it. (Each shutdown and restart takes about 6 minutes and uses a lot of battery power.)
It also results in his battery being in a better state of charge at any one time.

The water doesn't get hotter just because the engines running spruce or any quicker either

dazmond

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:49 am »
I've found that my heater has a  short "stand by"  mode that's lasts for a few mins when I turn the tap off to prevent it going into shut down mode.

Spruce

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2018, 11:45:02 am »
Thats what i like about Spruce , he can take rocket science and put it into proper English  ;D

There's also another expression - b/s baffels brains.  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
I've found that my heater has a  short "stand by"  mode that's lasts for a few mins when I turn the tap off to prevent it going into shut down mode.

Yes. In its design application it goes into reduced heat mode. The 9kw heater reduces heat output from 7.6kw to 1.8kw which means you have a window to recirculate water into the tank to keep the heater burning.  The temperature of the water in the internal heating circuit when this switch into reduced heat mode happens depends on how Grippa have wired up the system and what model Webasto they have supplied, eg 90 or 90s. I seem to remember that window of reduced heat mode is about 10 degrees before the heater goes into power off mode.

NWH

« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2018, 07:02:11 pm »
Drive to a job with return to tank and you can hear it working flat out in the back of the van preheating the header tank,within 5-10 minutes my working water has gone from 45-50 degrees back up to 72ish. It’ll stabilise at 45-55 then after a time drop down to 25-30,as soon as it senses it needs heat again after a short time the diesel pump will kick in and you can hear the header tank pump bubble circulating the water again,the more charge you have in the batteries the hotter your heater will get take it from me with crap voltage the heater works as slow as someone on the minimum wage.

P @ F

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:51 pm »
Sounds a bit like me that  ;D

lal

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2018, 01:00:28 pm »
Drive to a job with return to tank and you can hear it working flat out in the back of the van preheating the header tank,within 5-10 minutes my working water has gone from 45-50 degrees back up to 72ish. It’ll stabilise at 45-55 then after a time drop down to 25-30,as soon as it senses it needs heat again after a short time the diesel pump will kick in and you can hear the header tank pump bubble circulating the water again,the more charge you have in the batteries the hotter your heater will get take it from me with crap voltage the heater works as slow as someone on the minimum wage.

Hi NWH, when driving to work with your return to tank on, what number flow rate do you have the pump on.
Thanks
Lal

dazmond

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2018, 04:08:28 pm »
Larry I have mine on 30-40.ive found it doesn't make any difference in water temperature. Mine is always piping hot by the time I get to my first job.

NWH

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2018, 04:37:33 pm »
The lower th flow the more time the water gets over the plate exchanger so I drop mine down to 10-15 when you increase the flow the temp will then start to drop,even if you have the water on a high flow at points during the heat up and shut down mode it will still give you over 50 degrees. Like I say the more power supplied to it the better it will perform. With a good energy supply you can actually hear it performing better it pulses quicker on the diesel pump and the burner is louder,if it’s working well it sounds very much like a jet engine.

NWH

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
If you pull up to a job doing it the way I do you’ll get very hot water at the start of each job,if it’s very very cold in the morning I won’t recirculate back to tank I’ll just switch the heater on before I set off allowing the header tank water to heat up as this also will preserve the batteries because you are doing this while driving. If I’m going to PVC work first thing no matter how cold it is I will recirculate back to tank so the water is at around 72-75 degrees before I start,at that temperature it spits out the brush jets like an angry 🐍

lal

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:49 pm »
Larry I have mine on 30-40.ive found it doesn't make any difference in water temperature. Mine is always piping hot by the time I get to my first job.

Thanks dazmond, i collected the van with new system in from Omagh in Northern Ireland on Friday morning,
Oliver flew over from England on tuesday to oversee & train the engineers fitting the Diesel heater, as it was their first time
fitting a Grippatank one,  Oliver showed me the ropes about using the controller, and how the system works filters etc,
I must say Oliver is very patient and helpful with my questions, and he certainly knows his stuff, a Gentleman.
And a big thanks to Brian and Arthur from Sureclean for all their hard work and great customer service, i cannot recommend them highly enough.

lal

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
The lower th flow the more time the water gets over the plate exchanger so I drop mine down to 10-15 when you increase the flow the temp will then start to drop,even if you have the water on a high flow at points during the heat up and shut down mode it will still give you over 50 degrees. Like I say the more power supplied to it the better it will perform. With a good energy supply you can actually hear it performing better it pulses quicker on the diesel pump and the burner is louder,if it’s working well it sounds very much like a jet engine.

Thanks NWH, for your advice, very much appreciated.
Lal

dazmond

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2018, 10:28:12 pm »

Thanks dazmond, i collected the van with new system in from Omagh in Northern Ireland on Friday morning,
Oliver flew over from England on tuesday to oversee & train the engineers fitting the Diesel heater, as it was their first time
fitting a Grippatank one,  Oliver showed me the ropes about using the controller, and how the system works filters etc,
I must say Oliver is very patient and helpful with my questions, and he certainly knows his stuff, a Gentleman.
And a big thanks to Brian and Arthur from Sureclean for all their hard work and great customer service, i cannot recommend them highly enough.

i bet you cant wait to go to work tomorrow now larry! ;D

you ll probably get a few teething problems.i know i did but everything seems to have been sorted out now. :)

i had to change my microbore as the standard hose i had just wasnt up to the job and was pretty well worn after 2 years so ive now put 100m of 6mm red pure freedom braided hose which seems much better/tougher( but roughly the same weight)time will tell whether its any good.

the hot water was destroying my softer bristle brushes(not the flocked though)so ive now got mainly stiff bristle versions(xtremes,ultimates).

im loving the hot water again and it makes my working day that bit easier/more comfortable and the diesel heaters get the water hotter and a more consistent heat than the gas heaters IMO.

temperature wise i just keep it on full.oliver told me its the best for the heaters(as well as keeping the heater going with minimal shut downs and start ups)

dazmond

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:21 pm »
have you got the 20amp numax "connect and forget" battery charger as well larry to bench charge your batteries?this was another issue i had.my halfords one just wasnt up to the job.

just be careful with single pane windows mate on a cold day and avoid ANY window with a slight crack in it and you should be ok! ;D

hope you had a great first day using the hot water larry...... :)

NWH

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2018, 06:40:07 pm »
You need to try and change the way you clean windows slightly Larry with hot water scrubbing like your life depends on it is not needed,cracking Windows with hot water the majority of the time is done because you are rinsing off the glass. Using mono brushes you can scrub and rinse on that’s all you need to do with hot,if you scrub pull the brush back off the glass and rinse like you do if you clean this way with cold there’s a good chance you’ll crack a few windows m8. It’s not like starting again but you do need to adjust your technique slightly.

lal

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:25 pm »
have you got the 20amp numax "connect and forget" battery charger as well larry to bench charge your batteries?this was another issue i had.my halfords one just wasnt up to the job.

just be careful with single pane windows mate on a cold day and avoid ANY window with a slight crack in it and you should be ok! ;D

Hi dazmond, i had no work on today, i have tomorrow, so will be using Hot for the first time on  customers House's  :'(
I haven't got a charger at all at the moment, i will see how i get on with the Intelligent B to B charger, my work is not
compact like yours, its all over the place, so more miles hopefully means no battery issues, we will have to see,
thanks for the advice daz, i will definitely be staying away from single pane and cracked glass with hot water,
I will keep you posted on my adventures.
Larry

lal

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:16 pm »
You need to try and change the way you clean windows slightly Larry with hot water scrubbing like your life depends on it is not needed,cracking Windows with hot water the majority of the time is done because you are rinsing off the glass. Using mono brushes you can scrub and rinse on that’s all you need to do with hot,if you scrub pull the brush back off the glass and rinse like you do if you clean this way with cold there’s a good chance you’ll crack a few windows m8. It’s not like starting again but you do need to adjust your technique slightly.

Hi NWH, thanks for your sound advice, i won't be scrubbing hard, i will be going easy and gentle, i do rinse on, have
done for years, thanks again.
Larry

dazmond

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2018, 09:16:11 am »

Hi dazmond, i had no work on today, i have tomorrow, so will be using Hot for the first time on  customers House's  :'(
I haven't got a charger at all at the moment, i will see how i get on with the Intelligent B to B charger, my work is not
compact like yours, its all over the place, so more miles hopefully means no battery issues, we will have to see,
thanks for the advice daz, i will definitely be staying away from single pane and cracked glass with hot water,
I will keep you posted on my adventures.
Larry

youll still need to bench charge your batteries from time to time larry ......these heaters are heavy on the batteries.the b to b charger is only there to top up your batteries while your out and about so they dont run too low(unless you do 40-50 miles a day i dont think the btob charger will charge them up fully)

Jonny 87

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:07 pm »
lal,

Did you go for the 9kw version also? With a return to tank set up?

NWH

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2018, 03:57:26 pm »
The return to tank is easy enough to do yourself just a small piece of pole hose with a hose tail on the end through the air hole in the tank,every time you go back to the van and disconnect plug into the tank.

lal

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2018, 04:07:03 pm »
lal,

Hi Jonny,
yes i went for the 9Kw heater with a return to Tank set up, have you got the same, or are you thinking of getting one.

Larry

dazmond

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »
also larry make sure your frost stat is ON and you plug back into the tank after your last job of the day.esp the next few days as its forecast below freezing overnight.dont wanna risk damaging the heater.

i still think your gonna need a numax 20amp battery charger mate.......grippa should supply them as standard IMO.if your batteries drain down too much you ll knacker them plus your heater wont work to its full potential.

lal

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »
lal,

Hi Jonny,
yes i went for the 9Kw heater with a return to Tank set up, have you got the same, or are you thinking of getting one.

Larry

Hi Jonny, sorry ive just read your earlier posts, and you were in the same dilemma as me as to  which one to get,
 there are certainly mixed views on CIU with which one to buy, i originally ordered the 5 KW heater, then with much
 debating in my head, i rung up and changed the order for the 9 KW instead, the way i look at it, if i had bought the 5 Kw,
 then after a time i realised it wasn't powerful enough or for any reason, i would be stuck with it, so for the sake of a bit
 more money i went for the 9 KW, as for performance I would much rather have more than less just in case.

Larry

lal

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2018, 04:44:52 pm »
also larry make sure your frost stat is ON and you plug back into the tank after your last job of the day.esp the next few days as its forecast below freezing overnight.dont wanna risk damaging the heater.

i still think your gonna need a numax 20amp battery charger mate.......grippa should supply them as standard IMO.if your batteries drain down too much you ll knacker them plus your heater wont work to its full potential.

Hi dazmond,
yes my Frost stat is on, and i make sure the reel hose is plugged back into return tank every day, daz how often do you
charge your batteries with your numax 20amp charger, and for how long, do you charge them in the van or take them
indoors.
Larry

dazmond

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:06 pm »
my 2 x 105 ah numax batteries are neatly stored down the side of my tank in battery boxes.i simply remove the lid off the nearest one and put croc clips on(it charges both up).i run an extension lead to mine.i do it every night at the moment larry.(i do very little mileage).

if your doing a fair bit of mileage every day you might only have to bench charge overnight once a week mate.keep an eye on your battery voltage(ideally you dont want it reading any less than 12.2 at any time)mine drops to 12.4 sometimes if im parked in one place for hours with the heater on full whack,usually its 12.5 or 12.6 which is ok.

Jonny 87

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2018, 12:06:41 am »
lal,

Hi Jonny,

Larry

Hi Jonny, sorry ive just read your earlier posts, and you were in the same dilemma as me as to  which one to get,
 there are certainly mixed views on CIU with which one to buy, i originally ordered the 5 KW heater, then with much
 debating in my head, i rung up and changed the order for the 9 KW instead, the way i look at it, if i had bought the 5 Kw,
 then after a time i realised it wasn't powerful enough or for any reason, i would be stuck with it, so for the sake of a bit
 more money i went for the 9 KW, as for performance I would much rather have more than less just in case.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’m in the stages of deciding which route to go down.

Your right what you say about having more capacity than you need, it’s always a fail safe that way.

I’ve had a reply from Oliver regarding output temperature, and this time of year with a flow of about 25 on the controller, the 5kw heater should produce 55-60 degrees out the heater.

I run my controller higher than 25, so will lose a little heat there, but even so, the 50 degree mark from the heater is plenty.

It does sound like the 5kw might be suited best to my needs, as it’s more economic, and from
What I gather, it’s best to run these heaters flat out at max temp, this is better for the burner, so if I was to choose the 9kw version, then in the winter the water would be far too hot for me.

I’m Still deciding though, so may change my mind.  ;D

Thanks Larry, and hope You enjoy your new hot setup. It will make things much more comfortable in this weather for sure.

dazmond

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:03 am »
lal,

Hi Jonny,

Larry

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’m in the stages of deciding which route to go down.

Your right what you say about having more capacity than you need, it’s always a fail safe that way.

I’ve had a reply from Oliver regarding output temperature, and this time of year with a flow of about 25 on the controller, the 5kw heater should produce 55-60 degrees out the heater.

I run my controller higher than 25, so will lose a little heat there, but even so, the 50 degree mark from the heater is plenty.

It does sound like the 5kw might be suited best to my needs, as it’s more economic, and from
What I gather, it’s best to run these heaters flat out at max temp, this is better for the burner, so if I was to choose the 9kw version, then in the winter the water would be far too hot for me.

Thanks Larry, and hope You enjoy your new hot setup. It will make things much more comfortable in this weather for sure.

oliver told me to expect 20-30c at brush end with 100m of hose out on a very cold day with my 9kw heater and he was bang on.......

Jonny 87

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2018, 11:07:46 am »
lal,

Hi Jonny,

Larry

Larry

Hi Larry,

oliver told me to expect 20-30c at brush end with 100m of hose out on a very cold day with my 9kw heater and he was bang on.......

It’s a tough one,  Oliver said the 9kw is a more versatile machine.

That is the worst possible scenario though that Oliver gave you, Freezing cold day, and a full 100 metres of hose on the cold floor.

9kw is just going to be too hot for me I think, and could cause more problems than Solve.
Damaged hoses, cracked glass etc.

According to the stats Oliver has given me, I should be able to achieve nice warm water in the winter (not piping hot) and very warm in the summer when the ambient temperature is high.

With the benefits of less fuel use, being able to run it on full so better for the burner, and also having a more reliable machine as apparently the 5kw is.

Think I’m leaning towards the 5kw.

Dry Clean

« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:54 am »
Heating water to say 50degrees will take the same fuel no matter what kw your heater is.

dazmond

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2018, 04:00:13 pm »
go for it jonny..me personally was put off by the 5kw heater due to all the users on here previously that had the pure freedom ones.

im sure oliver wouldnt sell them if they couldnt get hot enough as he come across as a professional guy who knows his stuff.....