This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stresslesscleaning

Fitness
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering how fit you all are?  Does window cleaning make you fitter and stronger or are you all a load of FB's?   Sorry to be so rude but having worked in an office environment sitting on my A.R.S.E for the last 20 or so years, WFP work appeals to me.  However, being in my late 40's, i'm not sure if I would benefit health wise or if it would bring on old age faster, if you know what I mean.

My dad's a painter, he just retired and he's a climber, calls himself a steel fighter on account of the fact that he painted steel in the factories most of his life.  He's weathered OK but the Scaffholders, well they look B.L.O.X.E.D if you know what I mean.

Long and short of it is, i'm attracted to the physical aspect of the work but am worried I might do some damage to my frame/body etc.

By the way, I'm from Birmingham and would sincerely like a day out on the poles if anyone would care to take me?

Cheers

Martin

Frankybadboy

Re: Fitness
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:21:10 pm »
its give me a new lease of life,as i now training after work for between 10 and 20 hours a week,

running swimming and cycling ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
Hydro's from Birmingham - fine figure of a man - he'll take you out for an hour or two. Fit as a fiddle.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
Hydro's from Birmingham - fine figure of a man - he'll take you out for an hour or two. Fit as a fiddle.
;D ;D ;D

stresslesscleaning

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:37:21 pm »
Thanks for that, hopefully Hydro will see this post and contact me?

My mate used to be a driving instructor and after 10 years driving around, he abandoned the game and became a panel beater.  He lost nearly 3 stone in the space of 6 months from rubbing the cars down.  I'd consider it myself but it just doesn't appeal to me.  I like the idea of working for myself in the out doors doing something physical, to keep me fit and healthier.

Hydro, where are you?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering how fit you all are?  Does window cleaning make you fitter and stronger or are you all a load of FB's?   Sorry to be so rude but having worked in an office environment sitting on my A.R.S.E for the last 20 or so years, WFP work appeals to me.  However, being in my late 40's, i'm not sure if I would benefit health wise or if it would bring on old age faster, if you know what I mean.

My dad's a painter, he just retired and he's a climber, calls himself a steel fighter on account of the fact that he painted steel in the factories most of his life.  He's weathered OK but the Scaffholders, well they look B.L.O.X.E.D if you know what I mean.

Long and short of it is, i'm attracted to the physical aspect of the work but am worried I might do some damage to my frame/body etc.

By the way, I'm from Birmingham and would sincerely like a day out on the poles if anyone would care to take me?

Cheers

Martin

I moved from an office to WFP.  Lost two stones in a year, despite eating like a pig.

Never had a bad back like I did in the office.

However, you'll wear out your joints unless you get your hand position right.  Both should be below shoulder level as much as possible.

Vin

stresslesscleaning

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:58:34 pm »
Oh Vin

The bad backs man, when my back goes, it puts me out for anything up to a whole week.  I was hoping it might sort that problem out too.

On the other hand, I would imagine I would be vulnerable in the first few weeks/months of starting and my back might not be able to stand up to the strain or pressure.  I guess I need to have a go and experience what it's like.

Do you eat a lot more then?

In the office, it's so easy to stroll over the vending machine and stuff myself with chocolate and crisps.  What do you do for dinner?  Cafe or take sandwiches??

Sorry for what seem like silly questions, only when you work in an office for so long, you kinda get institutionalised and end up like Quasimodo, if you know what i mean?  Oh the bells......(telephones I mean).

Martin

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:19:51 pm »
If you are starting in your late forties and want good earnings then make employing from an early stage a priority and the expected way forward.For most people over 40 the physical side to earning plenty would be too much,its too much for many younger people.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:28:20 pm »
Thanks for that, hopefully Hydro will see this post and contact me?

My mate used to be a driving instructor and after 10 years driving around, he abandoned the game and became a panel beater.  He lost nearly 3 stone in the space of 6 months from rubbing the cars down.  I'd consider it myself but it just doesn't appeal to me.  I like the idea of working for myself in the out doors doing something physical, to keep me fit and healthier.

Hydro, where are you?

;D sorry william
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

LWC

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »
Nah i cant see wfp doing your fitness much good, maybe a bit of strength, since leaving ladders if anything ive gained weight (quite a bit  ;D)

Become a firefighter if you want to up your fitness lol ;) or join a gym

stresslesscleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:35:19 pm »
Agreed, but I am in the fortunate position of having paid off my mortgage early, I got lucky years ago.  I need a few bob but more importantly, I need to manage my weight and health.  In my view, there's no point having a house with no mortgage if I end up in the grave yard at an early age.

But, as my dad would say, I am concerned about "doing the fit".  Stamina and energy levels etc.  I'm not very over weight, i think im border line obese.  About 16 stone and I think I should be about 14 stone.

I think the fresh air, physical aspect of the job and the attraction of working for myself appeals to me a lot.  I think I would end up being a lot happier than I am currently.

I think it was Vin who said that he never looked back and I want that feeling, the feeling that i'm moving forward in life, feeling healthier and happier.

Judging from the responses I've had and the other posts I've read, window cleaners seem to generally be happy with their lot.  Of course, i'm sure there are misery days but there are with most jobs me thinks?

Martin

stresslesscleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
I've done the gym but i find I blow hot and cold with it.  Consequently, my weight yo yo's, so this is why I started looking around for a physical job but there just aint that many around that I would qualify for.

I sometimes wished my dad had taken me on the job when I was a kid but he made it clear to me from a very young age that if he caught me with a paint brush in my hand, he'd cut my hand off.  He just didn't want me to follow in his footsteps, neither did my mom.  Guess what, she wanted me to work in an office.  Phew.....

Besides, I also want to work for myself.  So all things being equal, when I compare my choices, window cleaning appears to have everything I need/want.

Martin

stuart mc

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:45:28 pm »
fitness should be no problem, you are on your feet all day walking pulling hoses, winding in hoses extending and using poles, I understand the trad lads putting on a bit weight but to come from an office it should do you the world of good

LWC

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
Oh yeh im well happy with window cleaning its a great job, but i dont do it for fitness  ;D

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »
Could work out perfect for you if you go into it as a serious hobby.This is probably the key to enjoying window cleaning anyway,talk about it on here and do a bit during the day.

roundbuilder

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »
i was slim when i started window cleaning 6ft2 at 13 stone, then some clever swine invented wfp and it all went down hill from there. 16 stone. I panic if i have to climb a gate incase .....snap. i joined a gym 3 years ago and go about once every 6 months so i may lose some weight soon  ;D not counting on it thou with all these lighter poles being made and cafe's popping up all over th place my weight will go heavier and heavier till boom.

LWC

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
i was slim when i started window cleaning 6ft2 at 13 stone, then some clever swine invented wfp and it all went down hill from there. 16 stone. I panic if i have to climb a gate incase .....snap. i joined a gym 3 years ago and go about once every 6 months so i may lose some weight soon  ;D not counting on it thou with all these lighter poles being made and cafe's popping up all over th place my weight will go heavier and heavier till boom.

;D They may be a clever swine but wouldnt be without it...the pole not the weight lol

DG Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
If you want be a bit fitter go trad. Wfp is easier. I agree with Matt wc isn't how I stay fit. But if you come from a sedentary job such as office work you will notice a difference for sure. I did quite a few years mining so i find it easy and i'm 38. No type of exercise will bring on old age faster but working in office with no exercise certainly will :)

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:15 pm »
I've got a Natalie Cassidy workout video if you want to buy it, stressless.
And trust me, you'll keep your hand below your shoulders watching that  ;).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

davids3511

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
Have you ever considered buying a franchise..... sign him up hydro ;D ;D