Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Window Washers

Re: How can we make Cleanitup even better?
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »
would be good to upgrade the forum software to the newest version, move hosting to a faster server.

run comps for the members, advertisers I am sure would pay this is exchange for discounted rates.

Totally agree with the name thing, but would be impossible to inforce, very easy to set up many accounts using proxies and ip's from different places so it will not work although it may lead to people being a little more honest which can't be a bad thing :)

Bring back the PM feature
Allow links to other forums etc, CIU is the largest for a reason, this is not one of them  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
Hi everyone

Thanks for the suggestions, they are all being looked at so please keep them coming and we'll address each one separately.

We certainly want the names situation to improve and we'll have to do this over stages. If we at least start by getting new members sorted as they register that will help and then we can work with some of the existing problem children we have  ;D

I know the private messaging function always crops but from an admin point of view, it's so much easier to deal with now than when it was available. Although we did get a lot of abuse of the system, the main reason for removing it was that it encouraged users to respond to questions by PM rather than on the boards, which somewhat defeats the object. Of course, when we get the names situation sorted that will allow people to be contacted privately and everyone will be happy!

Regards

Mike

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
My 2 cents:

Upgrade the forum software to fix he numerous gitches (new button/quote button/image uploads etc) since the last upgrade was undertaken

Re-instate PMs for users with a post count above 100

Replace absent moderators & promote a few extra,.. a forum this size should have 15 - 20 global mods ideally

Create a post independent user group for suppliers so that they can be immediately identified by users

Personally, real names don't bother me,.. get rid of silly names, but otherwise leave alone.

Relax the rules a little on supplier interaction,.. the majority of these guys are major contributors to the success of CIU, and are truly helpful. A generic "No taking advantage of the forum for your own advertising" rule should suffice, but give them freedom to comment where their input would be genuinely helpful.

Maximum allowed font size can be set in the administration area of the forum,.. perhaps this setting should be reviewed & anyone banned for using to large a font could be reinstated?

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 09:53:24 am »
My 2 cents:

Upgrade the forum software to fix he numerous gitches (new button/quote button/image uploads etc) since the last upgrade was undertaken

Re-instate PMs for users with a post count above 100

Replace absent moderators & promote a few extra,.. a forum this size should have 15 - 20 global mods ideally

Create a post independent user group for suppliers so that they can be immediately identified by users

Personally, real names don't bother me,.. get rid of silly names, but otherwise leave alone.

Relax the rules a little on supplier interaction,.. the majority of these guys are major contributors to the success of CIU, and are truly helpful. A generic "No taking advantage of the forum for your own advertising" rule should suffice, but give them freedom to comment where their input would be genuinely helpful.

Maximum allowed font size can be set in the administration area of the forum,.. perhaps this setting should be reviewed & anyone banned for using to large a font could be reinstated?

Thanks Nathanael

I think your comment on the usernames and getting rid of the silly ones is really the priority at this stage and then we'll consider what to do next. I take on board the other comments you've made too.

I'm hoping that most members have the sense not to believe we would actually ban a member simply for using a large font (and that setting up an alternative username 'Pat McGroin' is not likely to go unnoticed!)

Regards

Mike

Lee GLS

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »
IM SORRY BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, THIS IS THE MESSAGE THAT YOU PUT

"Sorry Lee GLS, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Lee - we got the message now you can stop posting in large type thanks. Mike"

SO WHAT EXACTLY DID I GET BANNED FOR?

I DIDNT POST ANYTHING OFFENSIVE, IT WAS A VAILD POINT THAT NEEDED FIXING THAT HAD BEEN IGNORED AFTER I CONTACTED YOU IN THE PAST.

James Leet

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 11:44:38 pm »
Bring Back DIY WFP MATT

I know he has his own forum ( Just google cleaning forum matt )  New members will not benefit from his knowledge

Admin should man up and do the decent thing and apologize for the shoddy treatment he received

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:51 am »
Hi James

There are 2 sides to every story

Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules.

Maybe Matt Doesn't want to come back ?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
First time on this locked topic.
"Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules" does anyone really have time to read them.

News to me that your allowed back even though I have I treat it very carefully but most would not. I dont think its common knowledge, maybe post it as another hot locked topic but I tend not to hit the locked topic sections of any forum as they are totally boring,but then I miss a lot as I prefer to speak to real people.

Just spotted this hidden section, if you face book you have to use real names.
Why not here ?
I dont think Matt would come back if you paid him.I tend to prefer more open forums.I am afraid your stuck with what you have created Mike but I wish you well.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »
The only people who have a problem is those who like to cause trouble, the other 99% don't have a problem,

Jeff

Forum rules, not causing trouble, swearing, etc it doesnt take a genius to work out.

I dont mind who stays or who goes, the more trouble causers who leave the better, makes my life of moderating far easier.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:12 am »
Cheers Dave  ;) as another mod I do understand what a thankless job it is, so thanks on behalf of a few others on here thanks ! for the job you mods do  ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 09:00:32 am »
Hi Jeff

maybe we should have a mod corner at the next cleaning show, so people can come and see that we are human, and have no hidden agendas, and all we want is an easy life.

Apart from over zealous moderators banning people of which i have seen at times .the rest of us wait until we can tolerate no more of certain people who press the self destruct button

Mike Halliday

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
Back to how we can improve CIU

We need a way to show appreciation to members who offer good advice to any question we ask. Other forums ha ve a 'like' button and a ' dislike ' button although I don't like the idea of a dislike button.

I think a. 'Thank you' button would give members an easy way to show appreciation
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »
Hi Jeff

maybe we should have a mod corner at the next cleaning show, so people can come and see that we are human, and have no hidden agendas, and all we want is an easy life.

Apart from over zealous moderators banning people of which i have seen at times .the rest of us wait until we can tolerate no more of certain people who press the self destruct button
There you go Mike what an idea  8) a stand in the corner of the bar at the Cleaning Show  ;D 8) 8) spnsored for all CIU members and a Mod corner to have a rest and live chat, even better sponsor the Bar !  http://www.windex.co.uk/press-office/view/carpex-windex-2012-full-details-announced

James Leet

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Hi James

There are 2 sides to every story

Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules.

Maybe Matt Doesn't want to come back ?

Who Knows ?

We All watched and read what happened. Two sides do not even come into this.

I Spoke to Matt when this happened, He just wanted a explanation, Admin did not even have the decency to give him that  >:( Thus he went and created the cleaning forums.

It was Noted that Mike registered on matts cleaning forums the other night. I wonder why ?

james51174

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »
not read the replies but...

i think the forum isnt moderated well enough regards flame posts and gang bullying

there are some terribly nasty and/or sarcastic comments made to new members...then everyone joins in and ripps the member

its one of the worst forums ive been on for this

especially as it can put off members posting and browsing

the advertising on this site makes the forum money

less traffic, means less business for the sponsors

Lee GLS

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »
Stop moderators locking threads that just because a "sponsor" might be getting a bit of a hammering, everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!

James Leet

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »
Stop moderators locking threads that just because a "sponsor" might be getting a bit of a hammering, everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!

The Impact43 appear to have a fair bit of power when it comes to locking threads.

It is just insulting to members.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=142568.0

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:50 pm »
Maybe, Impact 43 are not just here to be victim to a couple of people who are hell bent on making Andy's and David's lives a misery on the forum.

Their window cleaning round should be no excuse for giving them grief.

If you have any constructive critisism on Impact 43 then that wont belocked or deleted

If anything said is libelous or untrue then it could be moderated.

Personal attacks and attacks on there window business are just not Cricket.

IMO most of the abuse directed at them is personal to their window cleaning business.

James Leet

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »

If you have any constructive critisism on Impact 43 then that wont belocked or deleted

constructive criticism is a personal opinion ( your opinion could well differ from others )

My opinion is that a NVQ in window cleaning is like a chocolate fireguard, its worthless.

Now i guess that Impact43 would then report the message and it would be deleted.

When it come down to it, it is not about opinions, it is that they pay money thus they have a say on what posts stay or go

Censorship is a ugly word and thats what this is.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »
James

I  think you misunderstood me.

I consider awkward questions asked about Impact 43 are OK, and you wont see me delete anything of that nature

Where it all falls down is when a certain few make it personal, thats when stuff gets deleted, not because you have said something bad about Impact, it is when there has been personal insults and questions of integrity.

Sometimes it is easier and quicker for mods to delete the entire post than delete individual insults etc.

What they do away from Impact 43 is not relevent to the arguement.