Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike_Boxall

How can we make Cleanitup even better?
« on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »
Hi everyone

We're currently looking to put more resources into developing the forum and adding new features to it.

As part of this process we wanted to get some initial feedback on the sort of things you think would make Cleanitup an even more useful resource and thought that a new section would help facilitate that.

So, over to you, what do you think we could do to improve it?

Regards

Mike

Mike Halliday

Re: How can we make Cleanitup even better?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »
EDUCATION!!!! we need to make CIU a place people look when they have a question about cleaning.

i would like to see CIU the same as Cleanfax with a huge resource of articles collected from the leading people in the world of cleaning.

a photo gallery of generic, high quality  photos that CIU admin & members post which can be used by any member, if someone wants a photo of a wand, mop, a pressure washer, a waterfed pole etc etc etc they can get it from CIU Maybe the photos can be sold by members...... eg; i have a great photo of a before & after carpet clean....... I post it on CIU and any one who wants to use it pays me or we could have a nominated charity where any one can buy the photo for a £1 which is given to cancer research

a direct link to a video channel on You tube where members can post videos

just a few thoughts :)

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »
Real names, real profile photos - the site would be a much better place immediately

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 12:34:06 am »
When I view the site on my phone, there's a link I can follow that shows all the unread replies to threads I have commented on, but it's not on the main site?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »
EDUCATION!!!! we need to make CIU a place people look when they have a question about cleaning.

i would like to see CIU the same as Cleanfax with a huge resource of articles collected from the leading people in the world of cleaning.

a photo gallery of generic, high quality  photos that CIU admin & members post which can be used by any member, if someone wants a photo of a wand, mop, a pressure washer, a waterfed pole etc etc etc they can get it from CIU Maybe the photos can be sold by members...... eg; i have a great photo of a before & after carpet clean....... I post it on CIU and any one who wants to use it pays me or we could have a nominated charity where any one can buy the photo for a £1 which is given to cancer research

a direct link to a video channel on You tube where members can post videos

just a few thoughts :)

Thanks Mike

I absolutely agree that we want CIU to be the first place people think of when they want an answer to a question. One of the problems I think is that it can be difficult to find things and I'm keen to try and organise things better. I like the ideas of the photos and it sort of ties into an idea I had some time ago (in fact I'm sure Mitch did start to develop it) whereby we create a database of all the different types of surfaces that could need to be cleaned and a database of all the different types of soiling that might need to be removed from them. Each one would have key features and would ultimately lead to the appropriate product to deal with it. Having someone, maybe like Doug  ;) , who could explain exactly why limescale needs to be removed with an acid or why certain stain removers work on oil based stains and others don't I'm sure would be a useful resource. I'll look into the photos idea and we'll may try to tie the two together

Regards

Mike

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:07:05 pm »
Real names, real profile photos - the site would be a much better place immediately

Hi Steve

I think this is a progressive thing that needs to start with a clamp-down on out and out 'stupid' usernames (which shouldn't actually get through as new members now in any case) In hindsight we probably wouldn't have been so relaxed about it in the past but making it more professional is certainly a priority for us.

Thanks

Mike

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 02:09:11 pm »
When I view the site on my phone, there's a link I can follow that shows all the unread replies to threads I have commented on, but it's not on the main site?

Hi

Not sure about that one (sounds like a browser issue to me but I'm not an expert)

Will ask someone to check to see if it's something we have any control over

Many thanks

Mike

wfp master

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »
ban all the people who come on just to advertise there products some do it very sneakely others just highjack a thread & say have you tried the bla bla then post a link.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
Cleanitup is certainly an amazingly successful information resource already and credit to those who have worked hard maintaining and growing it.

I would agree that real names are vital to its future credibility. This would take some work , but would need an initial check before allowing a new user to make any posts. Perhaps the need to provide an address which can be third party verified. This would set cleanitup apart from most other forums - it has now got to the size where you can set your own rules rather than following the 'pack' as it were. This would instantly stop some of the rubbish posts and would help prevent deceptive posting.

Any users with a supplier affiliation could be indentified with a symbol in the left hand panel. This would automatically help other users to interpret any comments made by suppliers - such as this chap knows what he is talking about as he has had 10 years experience selling them or if promoting one item over another everyone knows the leanings that a supplier may have. This is done on many other forums and is not linked to advertising just for other users information. Something like a simple 'supplier' logo. If the supplier paid they could then have this as a link to their site.

Perhaps a section in the profile page where you can list years experience in your trade or various trades.

It would also be great to have a section guru who could provide authoritative information. This would be great for protecting those newcomers who need an answer being inadvertently mislead by other newcomers postings about subjects they know little about. For instance an RO guru, a chemical guru etc - this would help prevent expensive mistakes and would raise the credibility of the forum. This is similar to what Wikipedia has had to do in order to be able to be relied upon and taken seriously.

You could even have an ask the guru section for each subject. How you choose the gurus would be tricky though and why would they want to be a guru? Not sure how this could be done.

Obviously some threads are for fun and are not to be taken seriously, but others are dealing with product usage and would benefit from the credibility factor.

Another idea is to have an ask a supplier feature for those suppliers who pay for this. Users could post a question about products, technical issues, etc. and the supplier could interface directly with the other users - obviously as this is my idea you would be happy to waive the usual supplier fee  ;D

www.com

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:27:21 pm »
A supplier section/affiliation will never work, all suppliers work from their own agenda. If a product comes out better than their own, would they openly admit it? no chance. Any 'advice' offered is without doubt tainted at the very least.

Guru's would also not work as there are no real gurus on clean it up. 99% of members are small time operaters (less than 10 employees) and one man bands. Bigger more experienced company heads simply do not go on forums, they are already successful doing what they do. What an earth could a faceless keyboard warrior have in advice?? If in any doubt ask any sizeable company boss on his view on forums, unless they are trying to sell you something (products, services, etc), they don't waste their time.

A Facebookesq login is the only way to go for credibility, if someone refuses to login without that type of account it throws their status/account into question automatically because of lack of transparency. The web is heading this way across the board.

Apart from that, just leave it as it is and stop trying to make it something it s not. An enjoyable bit of banter between window and carpet cleaners.

H S and Son

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:26:39 am »
Loose anonymous user names, such as Mr Industry.

www.com

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:57:58 am »
Why? The majority of users on here are anonymous. I didn't see a requirement to show my passport and driving license when registering.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 08:21:56 am »
I was going to say move the forum to a dedicated server but RDNS shows it already is on a dedicated or VPS but few more web sites are being hosted,therefore mysql server is probably overloaded.

Search function on the forum takes ages.And we sometimes get the no service error.

Are you planning to upgrade to the latest SMF yet?

Auto embedder mod like Aeva will be a spot on so we can actually show/play youtube like videos on our messages,no need to go to that video site.

Private messaging (PM) should be reconsidered with a poll.They are littering our forum.

Get those two links on my siggy on the forum so everyone can follow the topics they posted.

Pretty please  :)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:28:59 am »
I don't think CIU will ever be taken as seriously as it deserves because it allows people to join and post and false names and identities and this damages the credibility of the site enormously and turn is into a bit of a bear pit. Proper names and photos would make an enormous difference and encourage people to conduct themselves in a more professional manner.
Problem is CIU is a business and therefore will sacrifice quality for quantity to keep the figures up.
Simon

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:21:19 am »
Replace absent moderators.
It's a game of three halves!

Pope vader

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »
you can have peoples real names and pic, but it wont stop the bs getting said,  give it a few weeks and the ones who are making thousands a week, will be moaning after 2 days of snow, that they are skint

i agree that suppliers should easily be identififed,  the likes of alex gardiner who comes on here, he answers questions that are put to him and dosent directly promote his stuff, he is always saying contact him away from the forum, which i dont see a problem with,  then we have ionics staff coming on here pretending to be wc  saying how great there stuff is, then panic when found out,  if  a business wants to promote there stuff then they should use there company name

Catherine10

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 04:18:39 pm »
Pictures are a great idea, but they have to be in the proper resolution to use for print, media.  Snap shots I dont think will work.   They need to be structured and light on the day etc. DPI  comes into it, depending on what you want to use photos for, snappys wont produce well - other half is a photographer - pics need to be set up and of high quality lot comes down to reproduction, lot of snap shots wont come up to specs with reagards to what you want to use them for. There has to be specifications in place as to what the guys need to need the images for.  If you want a nice leaflet/brochure think it might prove a little difficult.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »
Hi Guys

I would definitely say get rid of the silly names or at least make people have their real identity, it's not so much the silly name it's the confidence it gives to some idiots to cause trouble.

Otherwise I wouldn't change too much as it works at present, we wouldn't want to be too boring, people like the more contentious topics!

The move allowing moderators to ban/suspend has seen a big improvement in general quality as problem posters know they cannot get away with it now.

We could have a technical section but it would have to be strictly controlled as otherwise the gems will be obscured by general posts.

Cheers

Doug

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »
Doug

I don't have a problem with contentious subjects or even the occasional row - it would just be nice to know who you are having a row with.

This is probably the only forum I am a member of where people can register under a false name (or names) - the only reason for that is so they can cause trouble without comeback.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »
Steve as  moderators we can see at the top how many people are waiting approval to become members( this is hidden to everyone slse)

at the moment 10 new members are awaiting approval, often i will log on and 10-15 new people are awaiting approval....... every day!!

its hard to keep a check on this amount of new members,  I think this is why they get through it would be a full time job to check out everyone.

other forums don't have this amount of new members joining so can keep a tighter control

Catherine10

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »
That must be difficult to moderate

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »
The real problem with CIU is that it is about advertisers and advertising revenue and not members. The advertisers want exposure to as many people as possible because even the members with false names have real businesses and are as likely to respond to adverts as the people with real names and identities, so the advertiser don't give toss about who gets exposure as long as they get what they want. What the members want is to a large extent irrelevant so it is almost a waste if time asking for our views because CIU isn't about us in the first place.
I don't accept Mike's argument about better vetting, that's just an excuse for poor management.

Simon

Aqua-dapter

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:08 pm »
at the moment 10 new members are awaiting approval, often i will log on and 10-15 new people are awaiting approval....... every day!!

its hard to keep a check on this amount of new members,  I think this is why they get through it would be a full time job to check out everyone.

other forums don't have this amount of new members joining so can keep a tighter control
I have been admin on a larger forum than CIU (45k+ members at last count), so I know this can be an issue.  What we did was set up a "volunteer group" people could only join by invitation, and they would help with this work.  It's when the work falls to a few individuals that it becomes onerous.

I'm not sure if it would work here, that was a more "techy" forum so many of the members were already familiar with how forums work etc.

With regard to improvements, having the buttons work, and do as they are supposed to would be great:
  • "mark as read" still doesn't work
  • the "insert quote" link doesn't work, and
  • the "new" button takes you to the latest post, when it should take you to the latest unread post in the thread

Not sure why the PM system is disabled.  If it were abused, there should be an "ignore" feature, and if someone was reported for spamming, they would/should quickly get banned.

What enabling PMs would do is allow members to contact each other without posting new topics like "FAO Wayne" which just causes unnecessary "noise" in the forum.

I agree having some form of "real name" system would be good, but not sure how this would work without causing someone a lot of extra work.

Paul

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
I remember when CIU had PM's and it led to threats and abuse and spam. I cannot understand why there is a concern about lack of control when moderators are only there in name only.  I mean how long is it since Sarah Sarill was even on here and I've not heard from Ian Giles for weeks.

It's pathetic really.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 08:04:40 am »
A section where members can post deals of the week without fear of
being banned as alot of special offers are not heard of unless you speak to other cleaners around the country

Matt Gibson

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:57 pm »
Keep all the graffiti, brick cleaning etc in "general cleaning" not hard floor section as its got nothing to do with floors.

I've never had any probs regarding names, but the whole fiasco recently with "Amir" was abit of a bore.

Otherwise, I'm happy.  ;D

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:15 pm »
Loose anonymous user names, such as Mr Industry.

We have tightened up on this over time and we'll continue to do so. A user name like Mr Industry shouldn't get aproved now although there's nothing to stop people changing their profile name after they've registered. I think we'll end up going through a process that asks existing users to change if it's not suitable and then we'll start looking at enforcing it more strictly over a period of time. I think it's fair to say we all want to know who we're talking to although we're never going to be able to stop people making up names if they really want to.

Regards

Mike

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »
Replace absent moderators.

Point taken and in hand!

Regards

Mike

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 06:50:52 pm »
The real problem with CIU is that it is about advertisers and advertising revenue and not members...What the members want is to a large extent irrelevant so it is almost a waste if time asking for our views because CIU isn't about us in the first place.

That's not the way I see it Simon. The more we can try to give members what they want the more they'll keep coming back to use the forum and then the more attractive it is to advertisers. Advertisers fund future development which, in turn makes it an even better resource for members and everybody gains.

I've always said you can't please all the people all the time, particularly those with a 'glass half empty' attitude. This section is really for constructive comments and recomendations but thanks for sharing your thoughts anyway.

Regards

Mike     

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 06:54:31 pm »
Keep all the graffiti, brick cleaning etc in "general cleaning" not hard floor section as its got nothing to do with floors.

Thanks

We're currently looking at how the sections should be subdivided so they're better categorised.

Regards

Mike

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »
being banned as alot of special offers are not heard of unless you speak to other cleaners around the country

Would this really get regular content? I'm not sure but we'll add it to the list to look at.

Regards

Mike

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »
I read somewhere people with silly names should not get registered Despite cracking on about this for years maybe at last something will be done but there is someone with 8 posts who has a strange name.

I have also noticed that once registered there is ability to change identity.

I agree with Education topics . There is a USA site where there are loads of Educational Resources but it is run on subscription bases which would not fit current format.

Steve Gunn

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:33 pm »

Would this really get regular content? I'm not sure but we'll add it to the list to look at.
Regards

Mike
Probably more than the calendar section,I'm sure day to day everyone must get a special deal or offer within the industry whether it be scrims to mops

AJ

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 10:32:32 pm »
I would like to see searchable profile content that will allow users to locate contractors that operate in any given area.
i.e a search box query 'london' willl throw up all members that cover london.
Instead of posting a thread 'job in wherever' users can search for members operating in 'wherever' and contact them directly.
This will give CIU another dimension, whereas members use it as a place to seek or provide work for others.
I personally have had a couple of occasions when I have posted a thread asking for work to be carried out and have not got to the obvious person because he/she has been offline.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:32 am »
Allow PMs for people to communicate more easily.  The problem with email addresses on profiles is that the spambots pick them up.  Maybe the real concern is not that PMs could cause spamming but that other companies might remove sales from the forum owner's company (Concept2O??).  If that's the concern, I doubt it would really make a difference (except perhaps for the odd newbie) but allowing PMs would cut a lot of the noise and trivia from this forum.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 05:49:27 am »
Another suggestion.  Allow two pics per profile.  Pic 1 could be a normal business pic (owner's face, owner's van or whatever floats your boat).  Pic 2 could be an image of the account holder's email address.  That way, the spambots won't be able to grab the email address from the profile.  I acknowledge that it might require a little more bandwidth to allow this but this would be minimal if there were a restriction on file size.  Any extra bandwidth used would be partly offset by people not needing to make "FAO xxxxxxx" type posts anyway.
Allowing people to display their email addresses (as am image file) without the risk of being inundated with spam could reduce the silly threads and cut out the need for PMs.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:42 am »
Yet another suggestion.
Make the bit on the profile where someone needs to put their area compulsory.  It wouldn't need to be too revealing but just an approximate location.  This would help with threads where pricing is an issue as pricing often tends to be regional.  It would also help with threads about water quality/hardness as it would be easier to see at a glance if someone is in a hard or soft water area (though obviously this wouldn't be the case if they bordered such areas).

I have made three suggestions.  I have deliberately kept them separate so that they don't dilute each other.

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:04 am »
i think its about time the forum members had to use real names and also i think it should be compuls to put your location town  county.

i would also like to make a couple of points

maybe the facilty to private message someone would be useful

i am a member of another forum  non cleaning related and they have a new members section in which new members can post when they have done ten posts they then have access to the main section to post but from the moment of joining they have access to view the main board .   works well on that forum   many active members often take the time to post help to new members many of which are new to the industry .   saves the main board from be cluttered with the same topics over and over again.  also in this section it has help and tips to use the forum and  rules etc

Robin Ray

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »
Along with the name thing...

A review section for each section. Maybe a template could be made for the product review with a star rating etc... With an option for a video. This would put all the product information in one place and thus make it easier to find, and will also stop the main sections from being crammed full of the same old questions about the same old products. It would be worth making it so you can only post a review with a real name and also if you have over a number of previous posts this would insure a true product review by a real person everyone knows with real experience.

I personally would also like a section where you can discuss modifying equipment (Without being mocked and told the answer to all of life's problems is to buy a "truckmount" ;D) I know a US forum which has a section like this but I'm mot sure how much use it will get over here.

Rob

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »
I would like a section like that. problem is it requires an electrical engineer

Simple thinks like replacing parts on truck mounts or portables.

Window Washers

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »
would be good to upgrade the forum software to the newest version, move hosting to a faster server.

run comps for the members, advertisers I am sure would pay this is exchange for discounted rates.

Totally agree with the name thing, but would be impossible to inforce, very easy to set up many accounts using proxies and ip's from different places so it will not work although it may lead to people being a little more honest which can't be a bad thing :)

Bring back the PM feature
Allow links to other forums etc, CIU is the largest for a reason, this is not one of them  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
Hi everyone

Thanks for the suggestions, they are all being looked at so please keep them coming and we'll address each one separately.

We certainly want the names situation to improve and we'll have to do this over stages. If we at least start by getting new members sorted as they register that will help and then we can work with some of the existing problem children we have  ;D

I know the private messaging function always crops but from an admin point of view, it's so much easier to deal with now than when it was available. Although we did get a lot of abuse of the system, the main reason for removing it was that it encouraged users to respond to questions by PM rather than on the boards, which somewhat defeats the object. Of course, when we get the names situation sorted that will allow people to be contacted privately and everyone will be happy!

Regards

Mike

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
My 2 cents:

Upgrade the forum software to fix he numerous gitches (new button/quote button/image uploads etc) since the last upgrade was undertaken

Re-instate PMs for users with a post count above 100

Replace absent moderators & promote a few extra,.. a forum this size should have 15 - 20 global mods ideally

Create a post independent user group for suppliers so that they can be immediately identified by users

Personally, real names don't bother me,.. get rid of silly names, but otherwise leave alone.

Relax the rules a little on supplier interaction,.. the majority of these guys are major contributors to the success of CIU, and are truly helpful. A generic "No taking advantage of the forum for your own advertising" rule should suffice, but give them freedom to comment where their input would be genuinely helpful.

Maximum allowed font size can be set in the administration area of the forum,.. perhaps this setting should be reviewed & anyone banned for using to large a font could be reinstated?

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 09:53:24 am »
My 2 cents:

Upgrade the forum software to fix he numerous gitches (new button/quote button/image uploads etc) since the last upgrade was undertaken

Re-instate PMs for users with a post count above 100

Replace absent moderators & promote a few extra,.. a forum this size should have 15 - 20 global mods ideally

Create a post independent user group for suppliers so that they can be immediately identified by users

Personally, real names don't bother me,.. get rid of silly names, but otherwise leave alone.

Relax the rules a little on supplier interaction,.. the majority of these guys are major contributors to the success of CIU, and are truly helpful. A generic "No taking advantage of the forum for your own advertising" rule should suffice, but give them freedom to comment where their input would be genuinely helpful.

Maximum allowed font size can be set in the administration area of the forum,.. perhaps this setting should be reviewed & anyone banned for using to large a font could be reinstated?

Thanks Nathanael

I think your comment on the usernames and getting rid of the silly ones is really the priority at this stage and then we'll consider what to do next. I take on board the other comments you've made too.

I'm hoping that most members have the sense not to believe we would actually ban a member simply for using a large font (and that setting up an alternative username 'Pat McGroin' is not likely to go unnoticed!)

Regards

Mike

Lee GLS

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »
IM SORRY BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, THIS IS THE MESSAGE THAT YOU PUT

"Sorry Lee GLS, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Lee - we got the message now you can stop posting in large type thanks. Mike"

SO WHAT EXACTLY DID I GET BANNED FOR?

I DIDNT POST ANYTHING OFFENSIVE, IT WAS A VAILD POINT THAT NEEDED FIXING THAT HAD BEEN IGNORED AFTER I CONTACTED YOU IN THE PAST.

James Leet

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 11:44:38 pm »
Bring Back DIY WFP MATT

I know he has his own forum ( Just google cleaning forum matt )  New members will not benefit from his knowledge

Admin should man up and do the decent thing and apologize for the shoddy treatment he received

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 11:21:51 am »
Hi James

There are 2 sides to every story

Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules.

Maybe Matt Doesn't want to come back ?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
First time on this locked topic.
"Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules" does anyone really have time to read them.

News to me that your allowed back even though I have I treat it very carefully but most would not. I dont think its common knowledge, maybe post it as another hot locked topic but I tend not to hit the locked topic sections of any forum as they are totally boring,but then I miss a lot as I prefer to speak to real people.

Just spotted this hidden section, if you face book you have to use real names.
Why not here ?
I dont think Matt would come back if you paid him.I tend to prefer more open forums.I am afraid your stuck with what you have created Mike but I wish you well.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »
The only people who have a problem is those who like to cause trouble, the other 99% don't have a problem,

Jeff

Forum rules, not causing trouble, swearing, etc it doesnt take a genius to work out.

I dont mind who stays or who goes, the more trouble causers who leave the better, makes my life of moderating far easier.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:12 am »
Cheers Dave  ;) as another mod I do understand what a thankless job it is, so thanks on behalf of a few others on here thanks ! for the job you mods do  ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 09:00:32 am »
Hi Jeff

maybe we should have a mod corner at the next cleaning show, so people can come and see that we are human, and have no hidden agendas, and all we want is an easy life.

Apart from over zealous moderators banning people of which i have seen at times .the rest of us wait until we can tolerate no more of certain people who press the self destruct button

Mike Halliday

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
Back to how we can improve CIU

We need a way to show appreciation to members who offer good advice to any question we ask. Other forums ha ve a 'like' button and a ' dislike ' button although I don't like the idea of a dislike button.

I think a. 'Thank you' button would give members an easy way to show appreciation

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »
Hi Jeff

maybe we should have a mod corner at the next cleaning show, so people can come and see that we are human, and have no hidden agendas, and all we want is an easy life.

Apart from over zealous moderators banning people of which i have seen at times .the rest of us wait until we can tolerate no more of certain people who press the self destruct button
There you go Mike what an idea  8) a stand in the corner of the bar at the Cleaning Show  ;D 8) 8) spnsored for all CIU members and a Mod corner to have a rest and live chat, even better sponsor the Bar !  http://www.windex.co.uk/press-office/view/carpex-windex-2012-full-details-announced

James Leet

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Hi James

There are 2 sides to every story

Every member is allowed back after the air is cleared and the member understands the forum rules.

Maybe Matt Doesn't want to come back ?

Who Knows ?

We All watched and read what happened. Two sides do not even come into this.

I Spoke to Matt when this happened, He just wanted a explanation, Admin did not even have the decency to give him that  >:( Thus he went and created the cleaning forums.

It was Noted that Mike registered on matts cleaning forums the other night. I wonder why ?

james51174

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »
not read the replies but...

i think the forum isnt moderated well enough regards flame posts and gang bullying

there are some terribly nasty and/or sarcastic comments made to new members...then everyone joins in and ripps the member

its one of the worst forums ive been on for this

especially as it can put off members posting and browsing

the advertising on this site makes the forum money

less traffic, means less business for the sponsors

Lee GLS

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »
Stop moderators locking threads that just because a "sponsor" might be getting a bit of a hammering, everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!

James Leet

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »
Stop moderators locking threads that just because a "sponsor" might be getting a bit of a hammering, everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!

The Impact43 appear to have a fair bit of power when it comes to locking threads.

It is just insulting to members.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=142568.0

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:50 pm »
Maybe, Impact 43 are not just here to be victim to a couple of people who are hell bent on making Andy's and David's lives a misery on the forum.

Their window cleaning round should be no excuse for giving them grief.

If you have any constructive critisism on Impact 43 then that wont belocked or deleted

If anything said is libelous or untrue then it could be moderated.

Personal attacks and attacks on there window business are just not Cricket.

IMO most of the abuse directed at them is personal to their window cleaning business.

James Leet

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 10:58:09 pm »

If you have any constructive critisism on Impact 43 then that wont belocked or deleted

constructive criticism is a personal opinion ( your opinion could well differ from others )

My opinion is that a NVQ in window cleaning is like a chocolate fireguard, its worthless.

Now i guess that Impact43 would then report the message and it would be deleted.

When it come down to it, it is not about opinions, it is that they pay money thus they have a say on what posts stay or go

Censorship is a ugly word and thats what this is.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »
James

I  think you misunderstood me.

I consider awkward questions asked about Impact 43 are OK, and you wont see me delete anything of that nature

Where it all falls down is when a certain few make it personal, thats when stuff gets deleted, not because you have said something bad about Impact, it is when there has been personal insults and questions of integrity.

Sometimes it is easier and quicker for mods to delete the entire post than delete individual insults etc.

What they do away from Impact 43 is not relevent to the arguement.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
Hi Jeff

A self destruct button?  Now that's an interesting idea.  Maybe that would stop working as well on the next upgrade  :)

Brian Scott

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »
perhaps a for sale section where people can trade or sell used items they no longer require, I know you can do it on any of the sections but a specific area for that would make things easier to navigate

Billy Russell

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »
perhaps a for sale section where people can trade or sell used items they no longer require, I know you can do it on any of the sections but a specific area for that would make things easier to navigate

They got one!!!!! Brian is this a wind up???  ;D ;D ;D

Catherine10

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
To be honest I think admin are fair.  Think they do the best in the circumstances given

Brian Scott

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »
no I meant for each section like cleaning issues, generally asked questions, resources and then buy sell or trade equipment. four links for each section

amayze

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
Split the window cleaning thread in two, one for trad one for wfp.

rosskesava

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2011, 12:57:23 am »
Split the window cleaning thread in two, one for trad one for wfp.

That is a great idea.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Brian Scott

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »
What about a story section where every one can post the funny things they see or do whilst out and about

Forum Admin

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »
Hi,

The "mark as read" button functions as it should do now and so to does the "new" button which takes you to latest unread post in a topic!

Thanks

geefree

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2011, 10:51:18 pm »
too many special offers by adin  topics,  not enough curbing of non topical stuff,... and admin guys should listen more and stop being so " i am the gaffer what i say goes."

;D

rosskesava

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2012, 01:45:05 pm »
I think checking out new members is just not practical or even possible.

What I think would be of benefit is if member had their rough location underneath their forum id.

It's just nice to know where abouts in the country the person is.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:40 pm »
Put a 'like' button on similiar to facebook.
when there is a debate going on and if you agree with a comment it would be good to be given the option to 'like' rather than always having to comment. You would find that threads will not go on to 6/7/8 pages long were people are just repeating our peoples comments.
By pressing like it will display your name for all to see and people can see how many 'likes' a comment would have.
I am thinking about a thread titled 'you're sacked' on the window cleaning website over the past few days.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Aqua-dapter

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 02:56:14 pm »
The "mark as read" button functions as it should do now and so to does the "new" button which takes you to latest unread post in a topic!
Thanks.

The "insert quote" button still doesn't work, is there an ETA on a fix?

I don't like the idea of a dislike button.

I think a. 'Thank you' button would give members an easy way to show appreciation
+1

Put a 'like' button on similiar to facebook.
when there is a debate going on and if you agree with a comment it would be good to be given the option to 'like' rather than always having to comment. You would find that threads will not go on to 6/7/8 pages long were people are just repeating our peoples comments.
+1

What I think would be of benefit is if member had their rough location underneath their forum id.
+1 Although perhaps this should be selected from a list?  It wouldn't be that useful if everyone filled it in as "the moon" etc.!

Paul

RO-Sheen

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:27 am »
I would like to see a 'star' function that we could click if a particular thread was of interest.

Often in the past I have read a thread that I think would be useful for me in the future and would like to refer back to it at a later date. Threads like a recommendation of a product, service, tips or alternative equipment. I may not be in a position to make use of these threads at the moment but it would be good if I could star them and they will be listed on the side of my screen so I can easily find them when I need them.

Its quite often we see threads from people looking for the thread on such and such.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

dnd

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

the idea of using real names is a very good one and could help establishing a more professional correspondence, I think.
I am NOT using Facebook, but if our companies' websites are shown, everybody could check the name of a member/company.Even if one does not have a website, they should have a company name, isn't it?
There could be whole sections for non-members/guests with restricted access...

Mike Halliday

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

the idea of using real names is a very good one and could help establishing a more professional correspondence, I think.
I am NOT using Facebook, but if our companies' websites are shown, everybody could check the name of a member/company.Even if one does not have a website, they should have a company name, isn't it?
There could be whole sections for non-members/guests with restricted access...

errrr.... how about leading by example...'dnd'

Pete Miller

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
Hi everyone

We're currently looking to put more resources into developing the forum and adding new features to it.

As part of this process we wanted to get some initial feedback on the sort of things you think would make Cleanitup an even more useful resource and thought that a new section would help facilitate that.

So, over to you, what do you think we could do to improve it?

Regards

Mike

Can I suggest a search box, so that you can type in the topic you are looking for information on?

Thanks,

Pete Miller
Solent Maintenance Services

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:54 pm »
After Cleanitup heading top of page  third box in Is that what you are looking for ?

Hilton

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
The Business For Sale section is a mess and needs tidying up.

Its been taken over by window rounds wanted or for sale which is just work for sale not a business, so they probably need a dedicated board.

I think its putting off people who would like to advertise other real business opportunities,

Forum Admin

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2012, 02:54:43 pm »
Great thanks for that Hilton, we are currently in the process of putting a rounds for sale section live.

We will have a look at cleaning this section up and making it easier for all.

Thanks so much.

Ashley Brothwood

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »
It would be great with a section for all documents. Although there is a section now a lot of it is jut people asking if anyone has got any which works well but if there was a section people could upload documents to and anyone could access these documents like sample risk assessments, meathod statements, coshh sheets etc. it would save people sending the same document to a lot of different people

Tom White

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »
I would like a 'LIKE' button, so people can pay me respect by 'liking' all my funny and/or clever posts.

That is all.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:09 pm »

Allan Simmons

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »
Just a dedicated section on Marketing, that's my passion, and although we already have a successful multivan operation you can always pick up ONE idea on here that makes a difference to the business and makes it worthwhile logging in and seeing what's going on.

Plus the banter is great!

Al.

wolfee101

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »
some sort of rating system 5 stars like amazon,for a post...you could identify a good post quickly....rather than looking at the number of replies/views

wouldn`t read so much dross......plus a thumbs up or down for certain comments

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »
get rid of the documents section,it is a waste of bandwidth. People who do not contribute to the forum scrounging documents that they could make themselves if they took the time. I commented on a thread today that was started in 2007 and was added to today and was just "me too".

Most experienced people on here will help others if they contribute to the forum, but not just to scroungers who have less than 100 posts between 50 of them.....

Sorry for the rant..

rosskesava

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
Speed it up.

I just got fed up with trying to post a reply and went to another website. When I came back to CIU, another person had posted so I hit the 'post' button only for it to time out after ages of waiting.

This problem of the speed of the forum website and how long it takes to load is a repeated complaint.

I post this in the hope that something that has been a bug bear for ages might actually get acted upon but I doubt it.

Like Basil Faulty in Faulty Towers, I'm stating the 'bleeding obvious'.

Actually, thinking about it, does anything posting here ever get acted on or is it just a pr job?

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »
Speed it up.

I just got fed up with trying to post a reply and went to another website. When I came back to CIU, another person had posted so I hit the 'post' button only for it to time out after ages of waiting.

This problem of the speed of the forum website and how long it takes to load is a repeated complaint.

I post this in the hope that something that has been a bug bear for ages might actually get acted upon but I doubt it.

Like Basil Faulty in Faulty Towers, I'm stating the 'bleeding obvious'.

Actually, thinking about it, does anything posting here ever get acted on or is it just a pr job?

Hi Ross

Sorry for the frustration but please be assured, if there continues to be a problem we'll keep looking at it. When we last looked at the speed issue it seemed to be an intermittent problem which was put down to the time the backups were being done. This was consequently changed and appeared to solve the problem. I've had no problems recently and until I saw your post here I wasn't aware there was an ongoing issue. We'll look into it again and if anyone else has a speed problem, now or in the future, hopefully they'll post it here rather than assume it's something that's just being ignored - unfortunately if we don't know about it, it won't get fixed.

Will get someone to post an update here once it's been looked at again.

Regards

Mike

rosskesava

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »
Mike - thank you for replying.

I was getting a little frustrated at the constant waiting and I was assuming the intermittent problem of the speed of the forum was being ignored.

My posting was a bit sarky and a bit unwarranted and for those, I apologise.

rosskesava

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:07 pm »

Page created in 81 seconds.

I'm still getting the same 'intermittent' problem.

Nothing's changed since the last time I posted on here about the same issue.

Please, please can it get sorted out. It sometimes puts me off going on this forum.

formb

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 05:47:43 pm »
Page created in 81 seconds.

I'm still getting the same 'intermittent' problem.

Nothing's changed since the last time I posted on here about the same issue.

Please, please can it get sorted out. It sometimes puts me off going on this forum.

I get the same issue probably about 1 in 50 takes ages the rest of the time it's fine.

Also SORT THE ROLLEYES  ::)

Forum Admin

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:29 am »
Hmm sorry you occasinally get speed issues - I will take a look into how we can streamline the database down and try to make it more efficient.

In terms of the rolly eyes I can't see a problem!?  ::)

Can you not choose them from the list of smileys!?

Edited: Now I see the rolly eyes problem - will look into this also!

::)roll - This is now sorted!!

*Hector*

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:57 am »
 ::)roll
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

formb

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2013, 10:57:46 am »
Hmm sorry you occasinally get speed issues - I will take a look into how we can streamline the database down and try to make it more efficient.

In terms of the rolly eyes I can't see a problem!?  ::)

Can you not choose them from the list of smileys!?

Edited: Now I see the rolly eyes problem - will look into this also!

::)roll - This is now sorted!!

Yay!

*Hector*

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
 ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
Well done Soapy Souter! I've been trying to get the rolley eyes fixed for years; no one listens to me but as soon as you say it it gets fixed!

I'm back off to Eeyore's gloomy corner.

didiadmin

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:02 pm »
Hi guys, i think a search bar to jump to what it is your looking for would be a great advantage. Didi Floor Shine ADMIN.

*Hector*

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »

A bit like the one at the top of the page you mean ??

;D

didiadmin

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »
I`m Aware thats there but i mean like a google search where its basically in your face on the home page and as you type it makes suggestions to what your looking for. i typed advertising and it did not give me much at all. There must be more posts than the menu search is giving me. ???

formb

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:39 am »
A list of topics that the you (not you you, but you the user) have posted in would be good.

stevieg

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »
Ban the terms Connie,windie,custie and newbies... All can be found on the window cleaning section!

formb

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 02:48:36 pm »
The swear filter wants looking at. A nightmare for those who are in Sidiothorpe, or want to talk about saltwater or wristwatches.

Also it's about time there was a mobile site. Tapatalk is pretty good...

Neil Jones

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:37 pm »
I hate custie

formb

« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2013, 06:35:47 am »
Seriously, a mobile version is a necessity. I think I now post on here just as much with my phone as my PC. The site is passable on a phone browser but its not right. I can't even post a picture. I go on other forums far less popular than this one who have cracking mobile sites.

formb

« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »
Either sort the uploader issue or delete the link. It hasn't worked for ages. Oh yeah, and a mobile version would be good.

Soupy

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:45 am »
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.5.1 PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny13 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ruby/1.2.6 Ruby/1.8.7(2008-08-11) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g Server at www.cleanitup.co.uk Port 80
Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism, as I understand it - George Orwell