This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richywilts

just been stopped for no insurance!!
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:18 am »
was using the other work vehicle that my partner ste pays for or supposed too!! done an 8 hour roundtrip and got pulled for no insurance now iv looked on the motor insurance database and it says vehicle isnt insured so looks like im goin to have to take my test again if its not insured!! i showed them that i had just renewed my insurance for my car coz i had my blackberry on me and had the confirmation i drove it thinkin i was on policy n that it was insured its news too me anyone any ideas wer i stand????????
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Ste M

Re: just been stopped for no insurance!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:07:25 am »
i take it they have took the van off you then richy? if not then you would of had to of got your mate who has the insurance to come an get it sharpish.

from what i know of you will be done for no insurance if your policy does not cover you or your friends policy doesnt cover you. you will get a fine plus points. also the vehicle will be impounded and you will be charged for this as well as recovery until someone with insurance picks it up

sorry mate

richywilts

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:24 am »
no im supposed to be on the van policy as a named driver its stes van iv drove it thinkin that there was insurance as normal hes not mentioned anything to me that its void or been stopped etc for not paying the installments so i had no reason to think otherwise.i had no idea theres no insurance on it.iv had a look n i cud be gettin done coz theres no insurance on it even tho im insured on my car and van fully comp its the vehicle not the person!!
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richywilts

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:13:25 am »
no they have let me keep the van iv got a producer ste has the policy but i think hes cancelled it to be honest and not told me coz hes been skint.
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Ste M

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:18:43 am »
Oh so there is no actual insurance on the van yet your insured through your 'own' insurance? totally different then mate, i think you will be ok, as long as its taxed an mot'd then your insurance is good enough. your only 3rd party though. Have a word with Ste asap though as if he is using it it will be taken off him if caught driving

mci services

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:20 am »
no i think you will find your insurance will cover you only third party, if the van been driven is also insured by the owner

so it six points and a fine but i could be wrong good luck. and as far as i know you would only need to sit your test again if under a certain age

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:11 am »
anything i can do 4 you m8 bet yr
wounded giza bell if worse cums to worse
iv a driver 4 you m8 >:( >:( >:(

According to Pat and Carl in Slough, you were lucky to keep the van. you will proberbly have a fine and points. even if you are insured on other vehicles the actual van isnt.
courstey ov road wars  ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

richywilts

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:16:27 am »
yeah i had to retake me test last jan an extended test for bein disqualified so if i get 6 points in first two years of having a licence i have to retake it n iv already got 3 for speeding!! i thought the van was insured i payed the deposit on the insurance policy n the ten other installments come out of stes account im thinkin he aint kept up with payments and the insurance has been void n he hasnt let me know hence the reason for bein pulled for no insurance fingers crossed anyway
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:48 am »
A fully comp insurance on a car does not allow you third party cover on a van.  It only allows you third party cover on another car.  This is because commercial policies are treated differently.
I was lucky not to fall foul of this quite a few years ago when I was wrongly advised by a broker.  When I queried it (in writing) he wrote back straight away to say that in fact I wasn't covered third party on the other motor even though the owner had a fully comp policy on the car.
Fortunately, I was never pulled during the brief period of this misunderstanding.

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:24:12 am »
You should contact the insurance asap and pay up in full, if you can.
If they can ressurect the policy it will save you cash and points.

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:24:52 am »
no i think you will find your insurance will cover you only third party, if the van been driven is also insured by the owner

so it six points and a fine but i could be wrong good luck. and as far as i know you would only need to sit your test again if under a certain age

Thats right, the vehicle has to be insured independantly before your policy covers you to drive it.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
I got done for driving without insurance some years back on a motorbike.

6 points & £180 fine and had to re take my test as it was in my first 2 years.

Go to court and explain your reasons behind driving it. Explain about your business and need for your licenece. A letter from Ste may help saying that he didn't inform you there was no insurance due to his pride and cash flow problems. You may need a solicitor for this. It may cost you as much for a solicitor as to retake your test, but worth it for the time and hassle of going through it again.

The court have the power to impose what they see fit. If your honest they could impose 2 points and a fine. Or just a fine because of your circumstances.

When I went to court there was a guy who had 9 points and was there for speeding. He needed his licence for his family as he lived in the sticks and car was the only way to work. They gave him 3 points and a fine but allowed him to retain his licence on 12 points.

Good luck buddy
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

daz1977

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:48:10 am »
is ste your boss, or jsut a mate so you can get cheap insurnace  this is very important can you produce a contract of employment,   is the van in his name  or companys name

dependins on if the van is classed as a company van and you are employed, then you might get away with it,  as the law says it, is up to you to find out if you are insured or not,  but can u imagine all the post men asking to see insurance before they take vans out, or any one who works for a company,  this happened to my bro in law and he got away with it as work never payed the insurances

richywilts

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:52 pm »
its an odd arrangement the van is mine i bought it cheap off a friend but as i didnt really need it at the time i let ste use it put it in his name as a means of transport for him plus as hes had a licence for 10 odd years it was a cheaper alternative to me having the van insured in my name or business. the van was bought as we were setting up a roof coating business together.so the van (v5) is in stes name, the insurance is (was) in his name with me as a named driver.ste found out on his tenacy agreement that he wasnt allowed commercial vehicles to be parked in his carpark so we then lent the van to a friend for a couple of months who needed a van, we have recently taken it back off him as im gettin really busy with driveway cleaning.had it back a week or so weve had no pulls etc whilst driving around doing jobs then iv used it to pop to london to pick up a static system and an 1000ltr ibc and get pulled on way bk home none the wiser to why it has no insurance.

surely they dont expect u too contact insurance company evtime u drive a car
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

daz1977

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:52 pm »
yes they do rich, and they also expect you to check you lights etc every time you drive

have u been giving him the money and he hasnt been paying it

or does he pay the insurance out of his money, or the companys money

the only way you will get away with no insurnace is if its a company van,  if he says u knew he had no insurance, yet u driven it,  as it is up to you to check you are insured,  if he says its his van and he told you he had insurance to cover you,  some judges might say u should of checked,   try and find out when the insurance ran out as they have to give you 7 days notice to cancel a policy, a notice he would of got

u might just have to bite the bullet and get done,  but it means a ban a retest and high insurace for next 5 years    dont trust any one when it comes to your insurance

daz1977

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »
why didnt they take it off you at the side of the road, if you had no insurance they would of took it,  did they think you was insured give you a produced, u have gone to get ur insurnace and then ste said he has no insurance

james44

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »
surely they dont expect u too contact insurance company evtime u drive a car

No but it is your duty to make sure whatever you are going to drive is insured, you can explain all you want

this happened to me 3years ago and i was told the same by the way i got 6points and £250 fine in your case as its within 2 years of your last coviction for  no insurance you could well be looking at a ban and a retest!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

No insurance is an IN10 I had 2 of these 8 years ago, each one will give you 6-10 points on your license.
as for taking your driving test again, you only need to retake your test if you recieve 6 points or more within the first 2 years after you pass your test.

if you are insured for other vehicles 3rd party the vehicle that you intend to drive has to have primary insurance, if this van hasnt got any insurance at all, then you will not be insured.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

D B Services

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »
There is no way out of this one.

The driver is ALWAYS responsible for checking that he/she is insured to drive the vehicle. If you are driving another vehicle using your insurance as "any other vehicle" the other vehicle MUST be insured as well.

Be prepared for the worst.

Sorry but that's the way it is.

Dan

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »
Unfortunately Richy unless you can resurrect the insurance policy that Ste has allowed to lapse you are looking at a minimum of 6 points  and as you say you've had your licence less than 2 years probably a ban and a retest.

As Matt rightly says if the vehicle doesn't have primary insurance it won't matter what cover you have!