This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Do you think the window cleaning industry needs to be more regulated, with regards to flyby cowboys and dole cheats

yes
68.8%
88 (68.8%)
no
25.8%
33 (25.8%)
maybe
5.5%
7 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Sapphire Window Cleaning

Window cleaning regulation
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:36:30 pm »
If you think more regulation is required with our industry or not please vote.
Just interested in the response from fellow window cleaners.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

drwindows

Re: Window cleaning regulation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:49 pm »
Oh please dont start, you'll have that scottish bloke banging on about licensing in england again, which is exactly what we DONT want.

daz1977

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:54 pm »
to be honest, i can see the day that u will need a licence in england, and to get that u will need ur NVQ,  insurance etc

paul rulton

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »
as long as it dont cost anything & u aint gotta sit on a crap course ;D
if u ave then they can poke it :-X

paul rulton

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »
to be honest, i can see the day that u will need a licence in england, and to get that u will need ur NVQ,  insurance etc
they can shove that rite where the sun dont shine ;)
i tell u now i 4 1 will never do it >:( so i will b elegal hehe ;D oh i can live wiv that ;D

ian1972

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:31 am »
Its not going to happen guys they might bring a licence in but it just b to get more money out of the working class and not to stop cowboys as for banning ladders they are supposed to b for access not working off.but as a shiner is up and down quicker than some birds knickers I can see it happening

lee09

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:25:38 am »
Morning.
What makes you think or how will regulation stop the dole cheats or cowboys.
There will alway be people who turn a blind eye and employ these people.

I lost one the other day because their son had lost his job and he has a family to support, so they were going to pay him. Is he a cowboy or dole cheat?

All I know is while I am paying to be regulated, there will always be these people.

Lee

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:38 am »
Instead of saying "it wont be regulated" why not give some suggestions of HOW it could or should be regulated.

Matt

ian1972

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:56 am »
That's a hard 1 to b honest as I can't see how it would b done and enforced propprely and fairly.and reading some of the posts about licencing in Scotland it doesn't seem to work.I really don't mean to b negative about just can't see how except on commercial work

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:35 am »
Dole cheats should be regulated without a doubt, but I wouldn't want any new regulations costing existing/established/honest cleaners any time, money or paperwork related stress.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:26:36 am »
Council officers have got more important things to worry about - you know the sort of thing - how to support a focus group to encompass transvestite care in the community and how to set up a steering group to discuss child development on St. Helena.

The Police can't even stop a disabled woman and her child being bullied to death so they aren't gonna be interested.

Regulation for windies is a complete waste of time. We're cleaners for goodness sake!
It's a game of three halves!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:03:40 am »
Steveo I still use trad on some windows, I am not starting a Trad/WFP war.
All I am looking at is what percentage of Window cleaners on here want or dont want more regulation within the trade.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for guys starting up within the industry and fully understand that they can only afford Trad gear and use their own cars.
Thats how I started out, but when you have guys on benefits coming out when the sunshines and only charging £3-4 for a 3 bed semi and they have no PL insurance and have no respect for customers or their property it gives us all a very bad name.

Matt

steveo22

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:58 am »
Those people won't last, if they mess around at customers houses and do a bad job then its only a matter of time before they get the boot. If every window cleaner was as professional and dedicated as ourselves then that would be the time to worry!!

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:12 am »
I think our industry should be regulated or licensed but I do not think it would be policed well enough.

Scotland have a licensing system already and from what i understand this does not stop the cowboys as it is not policed properly.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:11 am »
Council officers have got more important things to worry about - you know the sort of thing - how to support a focus group to encompass transvestite care in the community and how to set up a steering group to discuss child development on St. Helena.

The Police can't even stop a disabled woman and her child being bullied to death so they aren't gonna be interested.

Regulation for windies is a complete waste of time. We're cleaners for goodness sake!

Thank you for that. A bit of perspective is useful now and again.

The problem is that the government might just see that regulating window cleaners sits well with parking enforcement, smoking in public buildings regulation enforcement and closing care homes - those other vital council responsibilities.

You'd then be getting letters from your local "Senior Fenestration Maintenance Operators Regulation Administrative Assistant" urging you to pay your licensing fees by direct debit monthly to avoid fines for late payment.

formb

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:24 am »
Oh please dont start, you'll have that scottish bloke banging on about licensing in england again, which is exactly what we DONT want.

Guess what I'm a Scottish bloke, we are licensed and it works. Not long ago a convicted sex offender was arrested for cleaning windows without a license. It works if you have nothing to hide it will benefit you.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:26 am »
I think it will too formb, but we have to have it on a national license not a county one.

Matt

formb

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 10:14:29 am »

We don't need NVQs etc. But we do need insurance + a police check.

formb

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:24 am »
as long as it dont cost anything & u aint gotta sit on a crap course ;D
if u ave then they can poke it :-X

We pay £150 for 5 years. It is almost a good idea as it puts off wannabes especially this time of year but, you only have to prove you are insured at the start of the term. I personally send a copy of my insurance in every year.

formb

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:21:38 am »
I think our industry should be regulated or licensed but I do not think it would be policed well enough.

Scotland have a licensing system already and from what i understand this does not stop the cowboys as it is not policed properly.

If some f***er undercuts you and nicks your customer without a license you can report the slimey little dole cheat.