This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Do you think the window cleaning industry needs to be more regulated, with regards to flyby cowboys and dole cheats

yes
68.8%
88 (68.8%)
no
25.8%
33 (25.8%)
maybe
5.5%
7 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 110

rg1

Re: Window cleaning regulation
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 02:47:51 pm »
Funny thing Matt we had a very long chat with Craig about this yesterday, i for one would welcome regulation and a strict licensing scheme. It can only benefit the genuine trader. Your looking not so ugly today Matt..lol

Here in Scotland it is not very strict. I have been asked to produce my license only once in over 10 years but, if you see someone operating without one you can grass the f***er up and he will get arrested.

You can grass on dole cheats but usually there is very little or no response from the authorities
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

rg1

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 02:51:15 pm »
I dont see the point of being regulated. Who will monitor those without a license?

If someone wants to break the law, they will whether we are regulated or not.

formb

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »
I dont see the point of being regulated. Who will monitor those without a license?

If someone wants to break the law, they will whether we are regulated or not.

What's to stop you doing it? I know you can grass up dole cheats, fire men, oil workers for not paying tax or having insurance but that is not really a police issue.

If they are cleaning windows without a license they are directly breaking a written law no arguments. They will be arrested. Simples  :)

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 05:45:02 pm »
Sadly I think it wouldn't make any difference.
Some people will care that their windy is licenced, many will not as long as he is cheap.

Look at how many people use someone who they KNOW is a dole cheat, or who will almost wink at you when they pay cash assuming you are not going to declare it.

It won't stop the cheats, it won't stop the dodgy people because as in Scotland it will not be enforced properly.

I could be wrong, how many people have been prosecuted under the Scottish rules, does anyone know? If its loads then I am wrong, but I bet it's not.
End of rant

formb

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 05:47:43 pm »
Some people will care that their windy is licenced, many will not as long as he is cheap.

Look at how many people use someone who they KNOW is a dole cheat, or who will almost wink at you when they pay cash assuming you are not going to declare it.

It won't stop the cheats, it won't stop the dodgy people because as in Scotland it will not be enforced properly.

I could be wrong, how many people have been prosecuted under the Scottish rules, does anyone know? If its loads then I am wrong, but I bet it's not.
End of rant

I personally know 3 people who have been arrested for cleaning windows without a license.

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 05:51:00 pm »

End of rant

I personally know 3 people who have been arrested for cleaning windows without a license.
Really? That is interesting. If it is enforced then a licence might work, but if someone is willing to be a benefit cheat it wouldn't stop them. I don't know I am all conflicted now  ;D

formb

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

End of rant

Really? That is interesting. If it is enforced then a licence might work, but if someone is willing to be a benefit cheat it wouldn't stop them. I don't know I am all conflicted now  ;D

The police don't go following window cleaners harassing them to produce a license but, if they recieve a complaint they will follow it up.

rg1

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »
That maybe the case in Scotland, but in England, I doubt that the police would 'Have Time' to respond to illegal window cleaners.

martinsadie

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:51 pm »
last thing on the polices list would be window cleaners

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:06 pm »
That maybe the case in Scotland, but in England, I doubt that the police would 'Have Time' to respond to illegal window cleaners.

They wont need the time, they will just pass that case on to the benefit office and revenue and customs. It will be these guys who press charges.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 11:45:06 pm »
no

martinsadie

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »
why should we pay a fee so they can be screwed rather leave things as they are

They wont need the time, they will just pass that case on to the benefit office and revenue and customs. It will be these guys who press charges.

Matt

formb

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »

What you think we have less crime up here in Bonnie Scotland?

keith b

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:51 am »

Why don`t the window cleaners on this forum think about contacting your local councils to introduce a reliable trading company scheme.

Associate members could all agree to carry public liability insurance and a CRB checks.

daz1977

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:48 am »
its ok bringing in all these regs,  but how do u stop the cowboys, most will risk it till they get court

they already have FWC BWCA etc and people moan about joining them, saying i dont need to be a member to be professional

its like corgi/gas safe scheme,  they reacon there is 2 million jobs done a year by people who arnt gas safe,  and that is well advertised scheme,

N'tro

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 11:00:07 am »
it would remove the stigma surround being a windi, and thin out the scally dole jiro sc** . so people would  recognise the possitive proggression of proffesional windi's. :)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:53 am »
Well said N'tro

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

dai

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 05:22:55 pm »
We are far too highly regulated as it is, increase regulation= diminished rights.
Anyone has the right to clean windows for money, or cut hedges, dig gardens or anything else that's legal.
In the old days women would take in washing to earn a few extra pennies.
How can we deny the right of anyone, to work and earn at any job he likes?
I don't like it when someone canvasses my customers and undercuts my prices, none of us do, but I will always stick up for his right to do it.
In order to protect our rights, we have to be prepared to fight for the rights of others.
People have given their lives to protect our freedoms, and I see it a duty to protect every single one of them.
I think that sometimes we are too quick to brand people as dole cheats, especially when they seem to be working for peanuts, but most under pricing is carried out by newbies, that compare the minimum basic wage with what they can earn window cleaning.

mikeyfaerosyth

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 06:38:52 pm »
been cleaning windows scotland 18 years.never been asked to see licence. :(not boverd with one last 5/6 years.see more and more windys most days.doubt any have licence.have quite a few  police customers.(nice people)did 1 today.had a chat.they've more important things to do i think than check if u on brew or not.would like to see more social/council checks to crack down on dole cheats doing work (usually crap) cheap ,no overheads.gonae apply for one next week thou,just went wfp :)totally amazed at results  ;D

telboy

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2010, 11:35:46 am »
Regulated by who  ???