This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JRDEasiReach

All us new boys
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »
Thought i would start up a topic so that we can keep each other motivated and just update it when we get new customers and if we are feeling down we can help each other get back out and get on with it, what you think lads?

Be honest about what you get as new customers though.

2 new 4 weeklys today - 37 in total now.
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

Murdie window cleaning

Re: All us new boys
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »
I'm at 32 custies, but I've never got much canvasing done today. But I'll be back at it hard over the next couple of days.

Good luck

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
Im back at it again tomorrow, though today i knocked an estate with 20 houses, less than half were in and out of that only about 5 actually answered the door, i hate that :( id rather they just answered and i could talk to them directly.  Then again if they cant answer the door when they 'are' there then maybe they are better off not being customers. 

Good luck murdie, btw how long you been at it?
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

NJ Services

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »
now have 31 custys. big canvassing week next week in order so will update you then. vans broken at the min so cant actually window clean so until then its canvassing all the way

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 05:11:50 pm »
I got my first few customers at the end of September and I was planning on doing it part time untill I had got established and a decent customer base, but then things went tits up with my f/t job so I was in limbo for a few weeks. Only realy been canvasing in an organised fashion for a couple of weeks, so I'm pretty happy with my progres

cozy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 05:21:44 pm »
I don't know if you guys are already doing this but just a quick tip on canvassing. Always mark houses where nobody was home, also mark which houses have a for sale sign outside, if they say no, when the sign has gone you can assume there are new owners and canvass again. Don't lose that list!
Another point is, we always wear high vis jacket or vest when working. Makes you stand out and easy to spot for potential custies when you are in the area.(That's unusual here in Boxhead land, ze Germans don't do high viz as much as the Brits) Don't know how it is in UK.
Just one last point lads, when the custy answers the door, get eye contact! People get the impression of shiftyness if you seem to avoid eye contact.
So, there are a few points of wisdom, that will be 35 quid please 8)

NJ Services

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 05:22:59 pm »
how many custys u got now then murdie windows?

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »
Ive got about 70 custy's now. ive been in the game for about 6 or 7 months.

keep it real.

G.B window cleaning.

DaveG

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »
Good luck boys!
You can't polish a turd

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:05:37 pm »
Guys i'll put some tips together for you later and post them here.

Im in my 8 th month now (started in April) and have 287 regular customers as of today, so i know just how you guys feel.

I didnt buy a round or bring in a round building company either

Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 06:10:57 pm »
Guys i'll put some tips together for you later and post them here.

Im in my 8 th month now (started in April) and have 287 regular customers as of today, so i know just how you guys feel.

I didnt buy a round or bring in a round building company either

That's good going, I'm hoping to be at a similar level at that point also. So I'll just have to canvas canvas canvas

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:40 pm »
Make that 289 now ;)

amayze

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »
I too started at the end of September - as of today customer count is 56

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 07:17:35 pm »
April 2009..... No job, minus in money and each day seemed to be getting worse.

Started window cleaning

7 & 1/2 months later i have 289 regular customers

Hard knocking and leafleting from the start on a daily basis.

I earnt enough in my first month to cover the bills with w/c custys, fascia & conservatory roofs.

Here are my tips....

Leaflets
1- Flashy leaflets give out an expensive impression (words of a customer of mine)
2- I use A6 black & white - £30 for 3000
3- Keep it simple
4- landline & mobile
5- offer a neighbour discount (im trying this out on my next batch)
6- put on you do fascias, cons roofs, cladding, gutter clears aswell as windows
7- save me or pass me to a friend at bottom (trying out on next batch)
8- neighbour discounts (3+ houses)

Knocking
1- always smile
2- smart appearence - no shirt or tie
3- wife or partner to help knock ? worked well with my wife
4- keep it smiple - hi, i was wondering if you needed a window cleaner
5- if they have a w/c ask them to take a leaflet as you offer other services

Quotes
1- write ALL your quotes down
2- if they like it but want to check with other half, ask for tel number (ring in 1 week if not got back to you)
3- stick to your price, your worth what your worth

Other tips
1- keep smiling no matter how crappy you feel
2- always smile or say hello to the neighbour of the windows your cleaning
3- remember something, dogs name, how was the holiday etc
4- dont turn a drink down, small glass of water
5- i ask if everything alright with windows when collecting
6- if no one is home, drop a leaflet
7- even if you get nothing, something always comes from work, i had a job ring 5 months later from an area i got nothing from, was a fascias £80.

Hope this helps some of you

All questions on a £20 note to .... ;D

Craig 72

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 07:28:41 pm »
That's excellent advice I would say mate.I started around the same time and being a lazy bleeder bought a round to add to my 50 odd customers I already had so up to about 170-180 now.You never know what the week will bring.I went one week without a single customer call and the next week I got a 10 bed mansion for £200.Things I love about it are the fact that I'm my own boss and am rarely home later than 3 o'clock.Nice stress free job (the odd awkward customer aside).The only bad thing is that you're governed by the weather to a certain degree.Some people on here say crack on regardless but in anything more than drizzle a lot of customers have said to me 'not today thanks'.

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 08:31:22 pm »
when your round is built up, spread it out over a 4 day week (advice i recieved early on)

Gives you an extra day to catch up or to do fascias & conny roofs

NJ Services

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 08:36:29 pm »
thats good advice. where did u get your 3000 leaflets for 30 quid? cant find cheap leaflets anywhere and could do with a fair few now as canvassing like hell to get a good round going?

chopsie

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 08:56:20 pm »
I got 14 so far,started last week,meant to go out today and door knock but new pole and brushes came today so i had a practice with that on my house,not overly impressed with the results!!I was going to do my first house this morning,but black clouds came over and i didn't think it would make a good first impression.anyone got any advice of which insurer to use and do you have cover for damage to property worked on,had quote for 1 million public liability inc damage to property(250 excess!) for £177.what do you think
chopsie

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »
3years ago i worked as a postman,
My Mrs nagged me left right and centre to clean our windows.BECAUSE WE COULDN'T GET A WINDOW CLEANER!
whilst up my borrowed old wooden ladders with a car scraper/squeegee with a bit of foam on the back. a elderly lady walked by "OOOO a window cleaner can you come and do mine ??"
Never thought much more or how much to charge etc (charged her £5).
Then about 2 weeks later a knock on the door " you cleaned my friends windows a couple of weeks ago can you do mine please?"
Now it's 2009 i have a  regular customer base of 450+ spread over a 5 week cycle and employ 1 young lad.
thank the lord for my wife's nagging and that lady walking past at that very time
or else i could still be on the Post lugging that great big heavy red bag for £170 a week.
From little acorns great oaks grow ;)

chopsie

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
martin.I went for an interview for part time postie last week as i thought it might come in handy while building up my round,looks like a may have the job,but they were unsure of the pay.is it really that bad :o I am seriously thinking of leaving it and concentrating on window cleaning,especially as short days are here,there wont be enough time after post round to do windows.
chopsie