This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Murdie window cleaning

Re: All us new boys
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
3years ago i worked as a postman,
My Mrs nagged me left right and centre to clean our windows.BECAUSE WE COULDN'T GET A WINDOW CLEANER!
whilst up my borrowed old wooden ladders with a car scraper/squeegee with a bit of foam on the back. a elderly lady walked by "OOOO a window cleaner can you come and do mine ??"
Never thought much more or how much to charge etc (charged her £5).
Then about 2 weeks later a knock on the door " you cleaned my friends windows a couple of weeks ago can you do mine please?"
Now it's 2009 i have a  regular customer base of 450+ spread over a 5 week cycle and employ 1 young lad.
thank the lord for my wife's nagging and that lady walking past at that very time
or else i could still be on the Post lugging that great big heavy red bag for £170 a week.
From little acorns great oaks grow ;)

And do you still use the car scraper squeegie ;)

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 09:46:05 pm »
martin.I went for an interview for part time postie last week as i thought it might come in handy while building up my round,looks like a may have the job,but they were unsure of the pay.is it really that bad :o I am seriously thinking of leaving it and concentrating on window cleaning,especially as short days are here,there wont be enough time after post round to do windows.

Yes mate the pay is rubbish, tho my hours we're 30 hours per week for £170. Slave labour !!
stick to window cleaning ......seriously ;)

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:40 pm »
3years ago i worked as a postman,
My Mrs nagged me left right and centre to clean our windows.BECAUSE WE COULDN'T GET A WINDOW CLEANER!
whilst up my borrowed old wooden ladders with a car scraper/squeegee with a bit of foam on the back. a elderly lady walked by "OOOO a window cleaner can you come and do mine ??"
Never thought much more or how much to charge etc (charged her £5).
Then about 2 weeks later a knock on the door " you cleaned my friends windows a couple of weeks ago can you do mine please?"
Now it's 2009 i have a  regular customer base of 450+ spread over a 5 week cycle and employ 1 young lad.
thank the lord for my wife's nagging and that lady walking past at that very time
or else i could still be on the Post lugging that great big heavy red bag for £170 a week.
From little acorns great oaks grow ;)

And do you still use the car scraper squeegie ;)

Now and again but wfp now  ;D

chopsie

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:53 pm »
think i will martin.its only a 20 hour a week job over 4 days,so prob be lucky to get£150. used to get that for 8 hours on a saturday in my last job!!
chopsie

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 09:55:00 pm »
think i will martin.its only a 20 hour a week job over 4 days,so prob be lucky to get£150. used to get that for 8 hours on a saturday in my last job!!
why don't you take the job, (don't know how many custy you currently got)
get some flyer's printed up and post post post while you are delivering  then knock knock knock.
you might just be able to go full time  quicker than you thought  ;)

chopsie

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »
the thought had already crossed my mind  ;) will have a think,don't really need the money at moment(my girlfriend is moving in with me at xmas and she is on good money,plus i got a redundancy pay off)not got loads but enough for a few months rent etc.Thinking i could build it up quicker full time,also you never know what walk you will get on post,could be a really toss area that i don't want to clean anyway!
chopsie

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 10:14:17 pm »
the thought had already crossed my mind  ;) will have a think,don't really need the money at moment(my girlfriend is moving in with me at xmas and she is on good money,plus i got a redundancy pay off)not got loads but enough for a few months rent etc.Thinking i could build it up quicker full time,also you never know what walk you will get on post,could be a really toss area that i don't want to clean anyway!
Never judge a book by it's cover, i have houses that are worth £2million and boy is it hard to get the money out of them. I've got council houses with people that hardly have a pot to pee in, but they pay up on time give me tea and biscuits and are thouroughly nice down to the ground folk who give me a decent xmas tip out of there dole money.         
      Even now just the thought of delivering the post sends a shiver down my spine, i was never ever given a regular walk. I'd turn up throw some mail out and they'd turn round and put me on a differnt round ???. So i'd have to start again make no mistake when you join the royal mail you start at the very very very bottom of the ladder. treat it as a stepping stone thats my biggest tip  ;)

wezzy32

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »
thats good advice. where did u get your 3000 leaflets for 30 quid? cant find cheap leaflets anywhere and could do with a fair few now as canvassing like hell to get a good round going?

iv had a quote for 10,000 a5 black and white,,,,,, 58 quid
keep on smiling

krave

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 10:23:44 pm »
thats good advice. where did u get your 3000 leaflets for 30 quid? cant find cheap leaflets anywhere and could do with a fair few now as canvassing like hell to get a good round going?

Thats good, Where from mate?

I got 14 so far,started last week,meant to go out today and door knock but new pole and brushes came today so i had a practice with that on my house,not overly impressed with the results!!I was going to do my first house this morning,but black clouds came over and i didn't think it would make a good first impression.anyone got any advice of which insurer to use and do you have cover for damage to property worked on,had quote for 1 million public liability inc damage to property(250 excess!) for £177.what do you think

£177 Seems alot to me to be honest. Although for my circumstances  I can not find cheaper.

If you have no records of debt, criminal or claims Should easily get that under £100 mate.

wezzy32

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 10:32:56 pm »
iv been working part time with my m8 for about 5yrs wfp and trad
then in july i got made redundant and i was on 12weeks notice as they wouldnt pay me off as they had a cash flow problem so wen i did finnish in oct i started up on my own.
iv been helping my m8 out and trying to build up my own work.
i cant seem to b able to door nock
so at the mo iv got about 100 quid off work done evey 4 weeks.
but have also gone for other things  as  my flyer advertises.
iv picked up a few off the gutter cleans and con roofs iv also put my name on the local news letter which is on the net and had a couple off jobs come from that in only a couple off months a driveway and a full clean.
some days u get down but then a job comes a long and picks u up.
getting going istnt easy but wen u get there the rewards can be good.
iv attached my flyer hope u like it iv my m8's wife did it for me
keep on smiling

chopsie

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 10:33:45 pm »
i could get one for 78 quid but with £500 excess  :o
chopsie

wezzy32

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

i found him on ebay had 5,000 at first for 28 quid and i fetched them from his house
there only on normal paper but wen u are just starting up and money a bit tite i found them sound as they have allredy paid for them selves with the jobs iv had off them. i will find is email and post it

Thats good, Where from mate?

I got 14 so far,started last week,meant to go out today and door knock but new pole and brushes came today so i had a practice with that on my house,not overly impressed with the results!!I was going to do my first house this morning,but black clouds came over and i didn't think it would make a good first impression.anyone got any advice of which insurer to use and do you have cover for damage to property worked on,had quote for 1 million public liability inc damage to property(250 excess!) for £177.what do you think

£177 Seems alot to me to be honest. Although for my circumstances  I can not find cheaper.

If you have no records of debt, criminal or claims Should easily get that under £100 mate.
keep on smiling

wezzy32

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 10:47:06 pm »
email for flyer this is only printing tho no design work.
aspfoster@tiscali.co.uk
pls mention darren from g&d washaway cheers
keep on smiling

wezzy32

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 06:11:32 pm »
r there no more newbies
keep on smiling

wezzy32

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »
there must be sum more new boys
keep on smiling

Jays Window Cleaning

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:27 pm »
Alright fellas im new to the game started beging of sept i have 72 custys getting between 4 - 12 jobs a week on. Gonna start canversing hard again . Knocking always works a treat.  And just saying the friendly morning to people whilst doing the round really works too. Most people i say morning too ask me how much do i charge or could i do there windows. Smiles, outgoing and friendly is the key.

jay

NJ Services

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:45 pm »
wezzy is there any chance u could attach that leaflet on an email to me if you would be so kind to. looks good and looks like it will work. would be muchly appreciated.

thanks alot  :) :)

wezzy32

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »
i need your email
keep on smiling

NJ Services

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:24 pm »
its clarkiexclarkie@mail.com

forgot about that. :) :) :)

thanks alot