This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steveo22

Re: All us new boys
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 09:32:24 pm »
Recent newbie myself.
Traditional.
Been going about 6 weeks and got around 50 customers, firstly started dropping leaflets which has gave me the majority of my work, about 12 customers from canvassing and the rest from being seen working and word of mouth. Aim to have at least 75 customers by christmas and hopefully around 200 by the time my mrs gives birth in June. Word of advice, get the best kit you can afford, i brought my first bits from screwfix to get me going (had one practice on my own windows then jumped in on a customers) and the stuff is crap, just the other day got some unger soft rubbers, a unger monsoon sleeve and some scrims and its made the world of difference to me, i'm still slow but getting quicker, the main thing is i do a good job and if i take an hour, i take an hour!!

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »
i cant seem to b able to door nock

Door knocking is all about being in the right frame of mind before you start.  There are some simple things you can do to make it easier:

Deliver leaflets first - a couple of days beforehand - it helps if it says on there 'I will be calling in a few days'

ALWAYS dress smartly.  Polish your shoes, wear clean clothes, shave.

I always wear uniform, I have a 'posh' outfit for canvassing - includes logo embroidered shirt and tie.  Don't be put off by suggestions that you might look 'too expensive' - image is everything.  People feel more confident if you have the appearance of being committed and professional.  You can even say in your blurb something like you deliver a far better service for the same as they would expect to pay just for the glass.

When you knock on the door, stand sideways until the door is opened, so the person can see you before you look at them.  Then turn and face them, look into their eyes, hold up your clipboard/folder with one of your leaflets pasted on the cover and say:

"Hello, my name is ........... and I put one of these in your door a few days ago"  While you're getting used to the trauma of doorknocking, this is enough.  They've seen your leaflet, they're expecting you, they will either say "No, thank you," or they'll say something like: "Oh yes, I remember...."  Then you're away.  Give a quick description of what you do, then ask:  "Would you like me to give you a quote? It will only take a couple of minutes but you'll see what good value our service really is"

Try to get them to walk round with you while you have a look, keep talking - telling them again that you clean EVERYTHING - frames, sills, etc.  Tell them it's guaranteed, tell them why it's better to have your service etc etc

Write out the quote while you're talking, then when you're ready, you've told them everything you have to, say something like: "and we do all that, every four weeks for (lower you voice a little) £........"  (DON'T say 'just £...' they will immediately draw comparisons with other quotes and forget all the benefits you've so carefully instilled in their mind)

Pause for a couple of seconds, then say "We will be here on........can I put you on the list?"

They will either say 'yes' or 'I'll think about it'

DON'T try to push the sale - ours is not a 'hard sell' - that will only get you unsuitable customers - if you've done your best to interest them, be satisfied - if they don't sign up there and then they may still call you when they've had a chance to think.

You can try to get their phone number, but be careful, don't make yourself sound pushy, but if you do get the number you can ring in a few days to ask if they've made up their mind.

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »
Managed to get myself 3 more new ones on saturday, 2 of which were 'one offs' and the other was an 8 weekly.  I was working out that I have now had 21 new customers within the past 3 weeks door knocking alone so that averages out at 7 a week, not bad going, i know a few were one offs and some were 8 weekly but i think im going well.  Managed to even get out and get 5 done today in the drizzle ;)
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 04:22:47 pm »
2 more new 4 weekly custies last night lads.  Up to 40 now at least and thats taking all my custies into account :)
JRD Easi Reach

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:41 pm »
Need some of your luck JRD, not had a new custie the last couple of times I've been out. I just need to hit that street that hasn't got total coverage and I'll be away again. ;)

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »
Dont think that im that lucky, just wish i had the one offs ring me for repeat work :) then id have at least 50 then :)
JRD Easi Reach

Craig 72

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 05:01:02 pm »
It sounds obvious but make sure you knock on the immediate nighbours of any existing customers you have telling them that you clean next door.Some people like to 'keep up with the Joneses'.Picked up a nice couple today doing just that.

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009, 04:41:13 pm »
well chopsie and murdie any new ones lately?
JRD Easi Reach

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2009, 04:50:17 pm »
4 more today, thank god as the last couple of times I've been out has been hard going. Probably not get them cleaned till Friday as the forcast tomorow is terrible, but I'll be back out tomorow knocking ;D

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2009, 04:54:25 pm »
well done m8!!!  I quoted a couple of commercials today, wont find out til early next week if i will get them or not though, plus with me being on a 4 weekly, next wed, thur and friday are days that im doing no cleaning, given next week is my week 4 and 4 weeks later is xmas!!!
JRD Easi Reach

wezzy32

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
done 10 new first cleans today going out to collect from the 5 that wasnt in so hope they want me bk next month
keep on smiling

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009, 06:32:42 pm »
done 10 new first cleans today going out to collect from the 5 that wasnt in so hope they want me bk next month

I hope you stipulate at the initial quote stage what your frequency is. I always say every 4 or 8 weeks.

chopsie

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
i got four more so far this week,went door knocking last night for an hour,had no luck,going to pub tonight so unless i pick up some there i wont get any more!oh and lost one before i even started,rang tonight to ask them to leave gate open and hubby been laid off so can't afford me  :( not that bothered they had 3 big dogs so that = tons of dog poop and possible chunk out of my arse  :o how long does first cleans take you new lads,i done 8 this week(started yesterday) got wfp backpack for upstairs and/or leaded windows.It takes me at least 2 hours on houses so far,bigish 4 bedders with conny's.do all windows twice with wfp,and seem dead slow with trad,I know i will get quicker,did one today fronts only and they had just binned there cleaner for not coming regular enough,now that was loads easier because they were a lot cleaner than other houses,did ups and downs trad as i had ran out of water and thought i could do with the practise! still took me nearly an hour,2 big bay windows 1 up 1down.also i seem to be leaving streaks almost like a film but only on small top windows i.e top openers,but not on bigger panes,any ideas what i am doing wrong,i just buffed them up with a microfibre,just hoping they are not a mess when dried
chopsie

wezzy32

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:42 pm »

I hope you stipulate at the initial quote stage what your frequency is. I always say every 4 or 8 weeks.

yes i work on 4 to 5 weeks
keep on smiling

wizard

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 09:50:52 pm »
Window wiper good posting with sound advice to all .Well down,mate.

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:53 am »
i got four more so far this week,went door knocking last night for an hour,had no luck,going to pub tonight so unless i pick up some there i wont get any more!oh and lost one before i even started,rang tonight to ask them to leave gate open and hubby been laid off so can't afford me  :( not that bothered they had 3 big dogs so that = tons of dog poop and possible chunk out of my arse  :o how long does first cleans take you new lads,i done 8 this week(started yesterday) got wfp backpack for upstairs and/or leaded windows.It takes me at least 2 hours on houses so far,bigish 4 bedders with conny's.do all windows twice with wfp,and seem dead slow with trad,I know i will get quicker,did one today fronts only and they had just binned there cleaner for not coming regular enough,now that was loads easier because they were a lot cleaner than other houses,did ups and downs trad as i had ran out of water and thought i could do with the practise! still took me nearly an hour,2 big bay windows 1 up 1down.also i seem to be leaving streaks almost like a film but only on small top windows i.e top openers,but not on bigger panes,any ideas what i am doing wrong,i just buffed them up with a microfibre,just hoping they are not a mess when dried

what technique are you using with your wfp chopsie?  Also you dont have to clean the windows twice with wfp, just rinse a bit more on first clean, if i was you id get out and get a van and a proper system in and then practice the trad on the bungalows and let rip on the wfp on the 2 storeys, you are taking 2 hours as you are messing about with both methods i think, you want to save time not waste it, takes me 45-1hr on first cleans thats biggish houses with 4-5 beds then after that it gets quicker with the frames only needing an odd touch here and there, the custies dont know that though :)
JRD Easi Reach

wezzy32

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
it takes me about 30-45 on first cleans on 4-5 bed houses and i thought that was slow but reading this i think its about rite.got 2 todo 2 morow
iv dun a gut,fac.and sof clean 2day and i first clean.
happy days and im up to 20 custy's
keep on smiling

Craig 72

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
For most of my customers I wfp the upstairs and trad downstairs.I agree that wfp is much quicker for upstairs but I don't think it's THAT much quicker on ground floor windows.I prefer to do it that way as it saves a hell of a lot of pure water and then at least you are guaranteed 100% that the downstairs is immaculate.As good a tool wfp is it can leave white dots and runs which might not be immediately apparent.I've done houses that look great from the outside but then I've done the upstairs insides and up close you can see it's not perfect.Never had any complaints mind you. ;)

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 04:48:23 pm »
Ive just been back for the 3rd time at some of my 4 weeklys and you would be surprised at the dirt thats still on the insides since i first cleaned the outsides :) I clean everything bar my two shops with the wfp, its far handier imo
JRD Easi Reach

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 02:32:17 am »
as with the 4 wkly clean it  means you get an extra clean at christmas , makes up for the custy who dont tip lol word of mouth best friends of friends family etc
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."