Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

what measurements do you use when quoting?

square feet
21.3%
16 (21.3%)
square yards
20%
15 (20%)
square metres
46.7%
35 (46.7%)
don't measure
12%
9 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 73

clive

measuring up
« on: February 06, 2005, 09:48:27 pm »
I normally use a rolatape which measures in feet. Got a new one recently which measures in metres but I find I prefer the old square foot method.
Might be selling the new metre rolatape soon!

clive

John_Flynn

Re: measuring up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:23:56 pm »
As stated before I have been British for 57 years and have NO intentions of becoming European.

A pound of Bannans please.
I get better looking each day!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 10:28:59 pm »
Bananas aren't European ;D

Sorry I didn't ring you John, if I could I would like to contact Roy Castle as me and the MRS are going for a world record in 'spot the smile'.

When are you fetching it and can you get a lid how big is it :o

Shaun

John_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 11:07:06 pm »
When are you fetching it and can you get a lid how big is it :o

Shaun

That is rather personal Shaun, you cheeky boy!!

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:52:07 am »
Measure in square metres...............use up to date equipment why not  up to date measurements ::)
Have a Strait Line digital tape.............point lazer at wall press button and repeat across other dimension.......VOILA......square metres already worked out for you. :o
Customers love it as they all comment that" the estate agents use one like that.".......and everyone trusts them :-X
Around £30 from Scewfix and i check it on my lounge weekly to verify accuracy ;D
ps. wall to wall sizes taken.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:31:27 am »
Do you deduct wall funiture when measurin

Or do  you price on size of room.

My Price is for room size .

Chris Bailey

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 12:39:26 pm »
Hi Ian

I measure room size aswell otherwise you'll be measuring all the nooks and crannies we come across as well.

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

Martin S

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 02:27:03 pm »
Chris Straker,

How accurate is the 'Strait line' and is it definately 'Laser'.  As the Ultrasonic ones are unreliable IMO.

Regards.

Martin S
Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 02:44:08 pm »
we have worked out  price list for room sizes when people phone ie upto 12'x12' 12'x24' then i have double bedroom, standard bedroom , box room etc  i only do domestics at the moment and felt this was easiest way to start. once we have more experience and maybe when asked to quote on care homes- b and bs etc  we may have to rethink how we do things- oh and have metric price list as well ;D.. Amberley and mick

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 05:04:52 pm »
A & M, So you're going to give prices over the phone :o :o,

size is only one concideration to work out how much to charge, since the beginning of the year I've been visiting the home and giving a price based on how long it'll take rather than how big it is.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

David_Annable

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 05:56:04 pm »
Mike

To somebody new to the game they might believe the above.

Whats the real reason you insist on visiting all clients.

Dave

I wouldn't want to spend the evening giving quotes
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

John_Flynn

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 07:13:50 pm »
Listen to Mike Dave, he makes good money from Carpet Cleaning, personally I have been C/C for 5 years and have always priced in the house ( the way I was taught to get what your worth).

The job I spoke about on another post 3 bed rooms and a lounge (£215.00) quoted in house, did the job today took 3 hours and have been booked to do it again in 3 months.

Get out there sell yourself to the client, woo them, smile at them treat them as they are special, win their confidence, you will then get a good price for your work and a client and friend for life!!

I am correct Mr Halliday and Mr Gourlay??

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 07:53:22 pm »
Dave as I've been slowly raising my prices I've found I've got to quote in home, people might spend £60-£80 over the phone but when you get in the £200+ range they need to see you and be convinced your different from the guys in the paper advertising £35 suites and carpets for £15.

And I've now taken my prices off my leaflet, so I've got to visit them.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

David_Annable

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 08:09:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice lads

Dave

*paul_moss

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 08:13:04 pm »
Mike I agree with you.
I have now taken prices off my leaflets and I quote at the house when ever possible.
I charge by square foot and use an electronuc metre.

I charge 25 p a square foot or 30 pence if badly soiled.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 09:00:34 pm »
mike. we are still very new to carpet cleaning- i do agree with all of you that its better to quote on site .but i have found people wanting to know there and then when phoning and a few have quickly lost interest when ive tried to get a site visit first . we say subject to survey when we quote over phone and i dont have any prices on any leaflets or adverts. as i said we are still at the bottom of the learning curve and if we are asked the same question in twelve months no doubt our answers and sales technique will be very different. we do appreciate all the advice we have gathered off this site over last few days. amberley/mick

David_Annable

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 09:54:44 pm »
For me when i asked the question, I new what the answer would be.

Even though i quote mostly over the phone, I do agree that I could charge higher prices if I visited.

But after twelve years it would be a big upheaval.

thanks Dave

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 10:28:20 pm »
I'm sure that if someone said to you that you could double your income you would go out and do it!

I price most jobs over the phone, I charge more than most including some Chemdry but I could not go out and see everyone that calls me I'd get no work done.

It's a take it or leave it price said in the most delightful way ;D, it's taken me a long time and alot of marketing to get here and I'm always retuning it but when you are getting like today 21 calls you can afford to be a bit more choosy.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 10:45:19 pm »
If I had to go out and price every, and I mean every job domestic that is! I would not make any money!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

David_Annable

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 11:18:28 pm »
Probably 5 years ago 3 piece £35, up to a year ago £50 now £75.

Carpet started £1.50 sq yd, now £2 to £2.25 Clean.

Whats the next step.

Dave

I already run into trouble if a custy from 3 years ago rings.