Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

what measurements do you use when quoting?

square feet
21.3%
16 (21.3%)
square yards
20%
15 (20%)
square metres
46.7%
35 (46.7%)
don't measure
12%
9 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Ian Gourlay

Re: measuring up
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 11:35:06 pm »
I am staggared Mike is now visting Homes.

Although It was in my plans to do the same, after going on Discovery day. I new I should anyway as its what I was to;d to do when I first started but got out of the habit, which is stupid as I could not sell a House full of Blinds without visiting the customer and wowing her as my blinds are not cheap

Im now going to have to do it. for Carpet Cleaning where the profit per hour spent is much higher .

Also Im now not going to put prices on leaflet which I had no plans to do but always wondered if I should. As Mike said he did.

Because if Mike has seen the light thats the way to go.

So I am stopping qouting over the phone. Im a brilliant Salesman anyway. But it did take years of practice. ;D ;D ;D

And I agree with John if i do not like them I do not want to clean their carpets.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 07:41:39 am »
Don't forget the small area I work in, if i was having to travel over 3 miles to do all these quotes I might think differently. I did 3 quote last night all within 0.5 of a mile.

also I found that even when I had prices on the leaflet people still asked me to come and give them a quote, I often felt like saying "why do you want me to come and quote, my prices are right under your nose!!"

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jacko

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 08:40:28 am »
I charge by the SqM - 3 price bands according to soiling and stains. Have a policy of not quoting over phone, but lately so busy, working till 9pm and Saturdays  to get all quotes in.

A couple i have priced and won over phone because of the time factors. Need to sort my time management out, maybe set aside 1/2 day for surveys/quotes.

Other factors like how much furniture to move (material cost too with Poly blocks and foil pads) are not taken into account within price structures - sort of swings and roundabouts, but unfair to those customers who are kind enough to present me with an M/T room!

Chris Bailey

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 02:55:27 pm »
Hi All

I measure in square Metres and use an ultrasonic laser measure, which I have found out recently isn't very accurate!

Since spending a day with on of you guys I decided to put my prices up - significantly!  I charge per square metre regardless of the condition of soiling but may vary my price depending on a few factors such as how much work I have on, what sort of house i.e. 2 bed terraced or 4 bed detached etc, basically on a adhoc basis.

Can I ask what criteria people are using to define the different pricing structures?

Is it size of house, depth of soiling, amount of furniture to be moved or is it the same as me and adhoc?

Nice thread this, very informative.

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2005, 04:14:17 pm »
For David A. and others. My tale of increasing prices.

After 16 years in the industry, I had developed a routine of increasing my prices a little above the official inflation rate. In those days, CleanTalk wasn't even a twinkle in Paul Elliott's groin, so communication within the industry was less than minimal. As per usual, I increased my prices on January 1st 1996. In February I attended my first NCCA course. Speaking to others there, I realised I was grossly undervaluing my services. There was no way on this planet that I was going to increase my charges to their levels in one go, even though after the course I felt I was a "better" cleaner than most of them ;). So I formulated a new pricing policy. I increased my prices by 50p M2 with immediate effect so this was my second increase in about 6 weeks. I then set a goal of increasing by more than inflation over the next 3 price revues to achieve £2.30M. In the end this turned out to be £2.60 with normal inflation. Last year I increased by another 80p as I felt my charges were falling behind what the marketplace was commanding. So now I'm on £3.40 and £30 per seat.

Experience over the years has shown me that the biggest hurdle to price increases has been me. I felt as though I may have been taking advantage of my regular customers' loyalties. Absolute Bunkum!! It's as though the price is immaterial to them. They want the best service they can get, and don't mind paying a fair price. They're the kind of customers we all want.

If you fear the loss of business if you increase your charges too much in one go, do what I did. Value what your services are, set that as a goal and have a planned strategy over the next few years so that you reach it. And when you get there, you'll need to add on a few years inflation, so you'll have to increase your prices again.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Martin S

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005, 05:13:12 pm »
Good post Ken.  Very helpful, as ever.

I suppose, that in reality, there is a market out there for everyone, cheap and expensive, just as there is for all other consumer goods and services.  If all the cheaper CC's put up there prices in line with the expensive ones, no doubt they would lose some of their customer base, as not everyone could afford it or would pay it.

As a consequence, the more expensive CC's would have a lot more competition from CC's vying for their Socio/economic group of customer.  And vice versa.

Just my slant on it.

Regards.

Martin S

Martin

Doug Holloway

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 08:06:10 am »
Hi Guys,

Two posts caught my attention.

Ken,

I've been increasing above inflation for  years now ,  but after going on the forums I realised I'd still got some way to go so last year went for 15 % and this year the same.

Jacko,

The reason I quote over the phone is that I am busy and do not want to spend my evenings quoting.

I'd rather go to the club,see the kids, enjoy masonary etc.
There's more to life than carpet cleaning!

Cheers,

Doug

jacko

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 08:42:21 am »
Doug

100% agree with you.  I am a relative newbie, so still building my business and finding my feet! (My wife would also agree with you!).

I am certainly going to view things in a much less black & white way, if i feel a visit is not nessesary to win the job or give a fair price i might quote over phone. However i would do it as a Price Guide subject to survey / testing b4 commencement of job, and it would be an exception.

By the way i measure using a wheel calicbrated in sq feet - then convert to Sq M -( SqF/10x.0929)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 10:46:12 am »
Just read through this thread and realised that we are SERIOUSLY underpricing if some of you guys are getting the prices you say you are, £2.25 - £3.40/sq yd and £30.00 per seat!!

I always believe we give good value for money, got a good database of repeat customers and regular commercial jobs throughout the year. 

Our average prices are £50-60 for a suite and £1.50/sq yd for carpets.  The problem is, we are by no means the cheapest in the area, even some of the franchaises are competing with us on price so I can't see how we can raise our prices further.

Where possible I go out to a house and price the job as I believe you are more likely to get it that way, I do however still quote over the phone it's only a small job and too far away for convenience.  We always go out to commercial jobs for estimates.  I tend to work in either yards or metres and also have a minimum price we will clean any room for.  Metres are easier when quoting for carpet tiles as the are all generally 50cm x 50cm.

I have decided to go to this years Cleaning Show, probably the Wednesday as I quite fancy going to the Employment law and H & S Seminars so will hopefully see some of you down there.

Ian

Big_Fish

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2005, 10:52:37 am »
We always visit to survey/ quote new business.
Repeat business and some recommendations are happy to book a service appointment and get the price before we start which cuts out the additional visit.

We've never quoted over the phone and can't imagine a time when we will.
We block book quotation appointments and at present our last appointment is 6pm and no weekends.

There are 2 of us here though working full time. Things would have to be different if Murray was doing everything.

Nicky

*paul_moss

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2005, 11:56:55 am »
Ian
Like you i was charging similar prices for suites and carpets.
Only when i saw some of the threads i knew i was under charging for  my services.
I have now increased prices in 2 jumps in the last 6 months.
My prices are Suites £80-£120, Protector £80 for a suite and carpets are between 25p and 30p  per sq foot.
I loose a few quotes on price but i am sticking rigidly to those prices now as i believe i offer a valued professional service to my customers.
I have stopped putting prices on leaflets and like Nicky I quote at the house unless the customer is adament on a phone quote.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

*paul_moss

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2005, 12:06:54 pm »
Ian just on the back of my last thread re price increase.
I have this morning done 2 quotes ,the first a council rented small terrace house,the only living room they have is 10 ft by 10 ft and is a cheap nylon ,quote £30 . No probs,book the job.
The next qoute is in the richest area i live in very large 5 bedroom detached house expensive merc and bmw in drive.She owns a big business and is wealthy.So i quote for  the 2 large living rooms, both wool carpet around 5 years old and never been cleaned.Qoute is £80, which is £40 for each room.

Oh I will get in touch but I could tell the quote was too expensive.

Yet this woman is the  type that will go out of a night with her friend and order a bottle of champers for £30 and only drink half of it.

It just shows to be how some people just under value are work and it does not matter how much dosh they have..

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2005, 12:33:48 pm »
This is meant as a serious comment and is definately not sarcasm.

You go out to supply a quotation. Or do you go out to SELL your services?

I can appreciate that us "Old timers" are in a priviliged position, but even cold callers are invariably converted into a sale after a home visit. Look at your on-site presentation. Folders and photos of work done are usually of benefit, but some may then see you as being no different to any proffesional salesman if you are too slick,  rather than a caring, knowledgeable tradesman. Do the tests, tell them what the carpet is made of. Ask the right questions. Discuss the options. If mentioned, praise the franchise  opposition then tell  why the system they use is great on this or that type of carpet, but with your independence you are free to use the best system possible for Sir/Madams carpet.  After the house and the car, the most expensive family purchase is typically the floor coverings (collectively) Individually, the most expensive is usually the suite. Expensive possessions which require expert care. In the end, most will want the best for their carpets and be prepared to pay a fair price.

Safe and happy selling :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

ecoklean uk ltd

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2005, 01:09:25 pm »
Hi
How about chargeing on time spent cleaning the carpets ? Would the room be empty when you went to clean? Dont have to pre inspect fairer on owner if the carpet is clean shorter time to clean are we all working by the hour any way?

steve

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2005, 06:34:18 pm »
I put my prices up by 50% a good while ago and lost the rubbish off the bottom.  I always look at commercial jobs but living out in the sticks I would spend as much time quoting as doing the jobs-I did 14500 miles last year in the van. If I cut my patch to 3-4 miles I would have 150 customers max!

Trevor

It does have its compensations- such as no neighbours to worry about.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Len Gribble

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 08:12:59 pm »
Chris R

Lucky for me I have relatives in all places that I advertise in, only one phone number.  Some times have let the cat out the bag and tell them area where I live, some have never heard of it KENT! But never been a problem.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*paul_moss

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 08:33:54 pm »
Ken
A little confussed at your response.

Your services are your quote. We are in a service industry.

This is dependant on the situation and what the customer wants and the type of result expected.

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 09:45:00 pm »
Ken,

I agree with you comment about Selling, but I have only come across two organizations in the Carpet Cleaning industry that have tried to supply Carpet Cleaners with Sales Aids David Wilks (Ashleys) in Huddesfield provided a Presenter, and Robert Saunders ALLtec   Powerpoiny Presentation.

Lee from Prochem has just supplied with a Coloured Prochem Cleaning system

handout.

True you can make your own but it lloks a lot better if produced by a larger organizaation who can then divey up design costs etc.

Perhaps its one of the initiatives we are waiting to hear about from NCCA/

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2005, 03:38:51 pm »
Paul

What I was referring to was that some people (from whatever industry) will turn up at the prospects door, cost the job, give a quotation and may/may not ask for an order. That's giving a quotation.

Another trademan will turn up, put on his overshoes, talk with the prospects, ask what they expext/need, then ask all the relevant questions, do the inspection and tests required, measure, cost, tell the prospects what and why he will do this/that/the other etc. etc.and then provide a quotation and may/may not try to close there and then. This is the approch that I would call selling your services. It has proven over the years, not only for myself but countless others too, to be a very successful approach rather than just giving a quotation.

I have been known, on more than one occasion, to just provide a quotation because I really didn't fancy the job :-[

Ian

I was thinking more along the lines of a presentation folder made up of photos of work you have previously completed. Some people will do a similar thing with a laptop. Not being heavily into the direct sales and marketing thing, I have little knowledge of the commercially available products you mention.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

*paul_moss

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2005, 09:10:19 pm »
Ken
Do excuse me if I have missed something here. ???
But what you are stateing is common sense professional salesman-ship which I would guess is the way most of us go about our business. ;)

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk