This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

U.S. wfp USER

Webasto Water Heaters
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:02 pm »
Has anyone installed one of these yourself?

Does it simply circulate the water in your tanks back and forth so that it heats it up?

Do they come with thermostats to set the temperature of the water?
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

jampot

Re: Webasto Water Heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:50:52 pm »
have you got a link?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
They are the same as erberspacher ones, and can be used as "on demand" heaters. I think they can be controlled thermostatically, but it all depends on the model you get, and if there's a stat to suit it.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:30:51 pm »
They are the same as erberspacher ones, and can be used as "on demand" heaters. I think they can be controlled thermostatically, but it all depends on the model you get, and if there's a stat to suit it.

Where have you seen info about them being used as 'on demand'?

Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:04:50 pm »
That info was on a narrow boat site,.. I'm not sure if they are meant to be used that way though,... I'd imagine that there would be a build-up of heat when you stop the water flow even if the flame cuts out straight away, the heat exchanger will still be hot. Perhaps some ingenious plumbing (a thermostatic mixer tap like is used on some showers) could fix that problem? Even if you used it to heat the entire tank, once its well insulated it should still be a very efficient heater.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:42:24 pm »
You can't run de-ionised water through a Webasto heater which is fitted to a vehicle's radiator because the radiator is filled with a percentage of antifreeze/summer coolant because otherwise the engine block would freeze and crack in very cold temperatures.
You can run the water from the webasto unit through the fitted coil of an indirect calorifier tank to heat the surrounding water stored in the calorifier tank and then circulate that around your baffled WFP tank by means of a 12 volt pump.
Ionics use a webasto unit but they pass deionised water through a stainless steel heat exchanger and it is stored in a holding tank which is a completely different setup to fitting a webasto heater into a vehicle (which is used to pre-warm an engine and cab prior to starting the engine).

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:06:28 pm »
We are looking at possibly using it to recirculate pure water in a holding tank.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:47:27 pm »
I know your interests go a bit wider than most of us shawn, but I've got one of your china gizmos and it works great.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:51:07 pm »
You can't run de-ionised water through a Webasto heater which is fitted to a vehicle's radiator because the radiator is filled with a percentage of antifreeze/summer coolant because otherwise the engine block would freeze and crack in very cold temperatures.
You can run the water from the webasto unit through the fitted coil of an indirect calorifier tank to heat the surrounding water stored in the calorifier tank and then circulate that around your baffled WFP tank by means of a 12 volt pump.
Ionics use a webasto unit but they pass deionised water through a stainless steel heat exchanger and it is stored in a holding tank which is a completely different setup to fitting a webasto heater into a vehicle (which is used to pre-warm an engine and cab prior to starting the engine).

If you're going this route,.. a heat exchanger can be fitted to the engines cooling system that removes the excess heat from the engine and transfer's it to your tank,... it doesn't get as hot as a dedicated heater would get it,.. but it would be more than enough to stop any worries about freezing. I'd use this method in conjunction with an "on demand" heater though.
I'm currently waiting on a new propane powered heater being developed in the US which can be vehicle mounted,.. the manuf is working on getting it CE mark approved for sale in Europe at the moment. His current models retail for less that £100 (plus postage) but the new one will have a higher heat output, and improved venting system, so probably a bit more pricey.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 08:01:16 pm »

If you're going this route,.. a heat exchanger can be fitted to the engines cooling system that removes the excess heat from the engine and transfer's it to your tank,... it doesn't get as hot as a dedicated heater would get it,.. but it would be more than enough to stop any worries about freezing. I'd use this method in conjunction with an "on demand" heater though.
I'm currently waiting on a new propane powered heater being developed in the US which can be vehicle mounted,.. the manuf is working on getting it CE mark approved for sale in Europe at the moment. His current models retail for less that £100 (plus postage) but the new one will have a higher heat output, and improved venting system, so probably a bit more pricey.

Who is the manufacturer?
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 08:06:22 pm »
I know your interests go a bit wider than most of us shawn, but I've got one of your china gizmos and it works great.

Yes it does work quite well.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:41:46 pm »

Who is the manufacturer?

Don't know who manuf's them,.. I'm guessing they arrive from China just like everything else,... but this is the guy who's selling them in the US:

John Hurlbert
jhurlbert@ges-na.com
+1 843.875.4255 Office
+1 843.564.6104 US Skype

He has the L5 model on ebay, Its a propane powered camping/RV shower, but it can't be vented and doesn't have a CE mark.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 08:45:49 pm »

Who is the manufacturer?

Don't know who manuf's them,.. I'm guessing they arrive from China just like everything else,... but this is the guy who's selling them in the US:

John Hurlbert
jhurlbert@ges-na.com
+1 843.875.4255 Office
+1 843.564.6104 US Skype

He has the L5 model on ebay, Its a propane powered camping/RV shower, but it can't be vented and doesn't have a CE mark.

I see.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure that won't work Nathan.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 08:58:15 pm »
to use a webasto/erbespacher heater as an "on demand", plumb a Y after the pump with 1 line going through the heater, and the second going to the cold input on a thermostatic mixing valve like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270194475776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017
The output from the heater goes into the hot input, and the valve regulates the mixing.

You'd have to check what the minimum operational flow rate is on the heater though,.. it'd have to be fairly low to make this work!

That item would be a good safety device to have after any on demand heater,.. it could save your hose from melting should the thermostat on the heater malfunction.

Mr Solubility,... why not??? I thought you had a similar setup yourself?

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:06 pm »
I was talking about your link to the camping thing. I have no webasto knowledge.

There has to be a flue. Mines flexible aluminium, some cut a hole in the roof. Even if it got the ce mark that would be for it's camping use. Sorry to butt in ad take this off topic.

Also it's dark and cold here (uk) 9pm and just run system to warm hose up for the night.

Took the opputunity to measure tds post outlet hose as have read about stainless steel being necessary.
Tds zero, no di ;D

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 09:19:08 pm »
Here's the item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Portable-Tankless-Hot-Water-Heater-Liquid-Propane_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43998QQihZ019QQitemZ290188946024QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

I do agree though,.. a flue is essential, leaving the back of the van open while I'm working is just not an option. The new one will have a flue though, whenever it's ready for sale.

Here's a similar one:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110187105930&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=110201074124&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
This one can have a flue fitted easily,... but it actually kicks out too much heat IMO! There is a smaller version of it available, but that one is only rated to 72 PSI.

I'd prefer a diesel powered heater if I could get one for a comparable price,.. but they normally cost 5x what the gas powered ones do.

U.S. wfp USER

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 09:20:46 pm »

Who is the manufacturer?

John Hurlbert
jhurlbert@ges-na.com
+1 843.875.4255 Office
+1 843.564.6104 US Skype

Just went back through my records and this is who mine came from.
Shawn Gavin
Reach Higher Ground

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:15 pm »
What do you make of it? It's a product i've been looking at for a long time,.. but haven't heard much feedback about it!
I'm guessing its not perfect for the job, or you wouldn't be looking for a webasto one!!

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:05 pm »
Realise you didn't ask me but why are so adamant about not having your back doors open?

Any hot system is worth the benefit even the high cost of ionics,concept but LPG running costs are much, much lower.