This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Drake

Re: Electric Vans
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 05:54:32 pm »
The prices are insane when you compare it to any diesel van.
People will literally have to remortgage to work.
Beyond my finance's for the long term

NWH

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 06:03:07 pm »
Anyone have any experience with them?   I think EV's will work really well for our start stop town driving habbits.

So which vans have you got and how are they doing ?   

I am thinking of buying one.

Also this may destroy the diesel hot water heater markets.

Just putting in a separate diesel tank will solve that issue.

With the price of electricity and forecast charging increases (e.g. charge point at home on a separate smart meter), it might work out cheaper to buy a diesel van and pay the daily emission zone charges.  ;D

Talking to a customer the other day he said to put a charging point into a house costs  £1,500  he has one of the latest Land Rover  discovery things the charger looks a real complicated thing with digital display screen  and if the reliability is like Land Rover it will constantly be going wrong. 😂😂

If you are serious when negotiating for one of those vehicles they’ll throw that installation in for free trust me from new.

windowswashed

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 06:20:13 pm »
Second hand petrol cars will be in demand when EV's only are being sold. EV's are not practical to own for most working class without a drive or off road parking very close by.

There will be a huge rise in the theft of the EV charge leads as they are worth a few bob and it is a crime on the increase already.

The average life of a EV battery is 8-10 years. 2000 cycles of the battery at 80 percent, 1500 cycles at 60percent. After that, they are pretty much  useless. Cost of replacing battery pack just  too much compared to the second hand value of the car, so much depreciation compared to an ICE vehicle.

Too few qualified mechanics to service EV's.

Over inflated mileage claims for EV's by approximately 33 percent.

Useless in the winter like heat pumps being forced upon is if the government get their way.

Too few charging points, especially in rural locations.

Alternative is to buy a 40+ year old classic and run it free of ULEZ, tax and MOT.

Car forecourts don't like taking second hand EV's in part exchange because of huge quotas to sell new EV's set by Europe.

LGV fully laden is pretty much useless in the real world

Spruce

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 06:49:23 pm »
Second hand petrol cars will be in demand when EV's only are being sold. EV's are not practical to own for most working class without a drive or off road parking very close by.

There will be a huge rise in the theft of the EV charge leads as they are worth a few bob and it is a crime on the increase already.

The average life of a EV battery is 8-10 years. 2000 cycles of the battery at 80 percent, 1500 cycles at 60percent. After that, they are pretty much  useless. Cost of replacing battery pack just  too much compared to the second hand value of the car, so much depreciation compared to an ICE vehicle.

Too few qualified mechanics to service EV's.

Over inflated mileage claims for EV's by approximately 33 percent.

Useless in the winter like heat pumps being forced upon is if the government get their way.

Too few charging points, especially in rural locations.

Alternative is to buy a 40+ year old classic and run it free of ULEZ, tax and MOT.

Car forecourts don't like taking second hand EV's in part exchange because of huge quotas to sell new EV's set by Europe.

LGV fully laden is pretty much useless in the real world

Agree ^^^^

It will take a few years for the EV con to sink in. It's already started to sink in with commercial users with regard to benefit in kind taxing and recharging costs. I doubt the likes of Volvo will do away with their engine division. Moth ball it for a future change of heart I reckon.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 07:04:15 pm »
Anyone have any experience with them?   I think EV's will work really well for our start stop town driving habbits.

So which vans have you got and how are they doing ?   

I am thinking of buying one.

Also this may destroy the diesel hot water heater markets.

Just putting in a separate diesel tank will solve that issue.

With the price of electricity and forecast charging increases (e.g. charge point at home on a separate smart meter), it might work out cheaper to buy a diesel van and pay the daily emission zone charges.  ;D

Talking to a customer the other day he said to put a charging point into a house costs  £1,500  he has one of the latest Land Rover  discovery things the charger looks a real complicated thing with digital display screen  and if the reliability is like Land Rover it will constantly be going wrong. 😂😂

If you are serious when negotiating for one of those vehicles they’ll throw that installation in for free trust me from new.

The first point is included in the price of the car all additional points are chargeable at £1,500 per point , it’s not free they just hide the cost in the car price and tell you it’s free .

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 09:13:44 pm »
I'm gonna buy a brand new diesel van in 2029 and get a diesel heater installed which will last me at least 15 years.by 2044 there will be much cheaper electric vans and the infrastructure to charge them up... ;)
price higher/work harder!

the king

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 09:31:15 pm »
If they ban diesel vans I’ll retire and get a regular job 80 miles per charge in summer 40 in winter sod that  ;D

DJW

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 10:01:19 pm »
I'm gonna buy a brand new diesel van in 2029 and get a diesel heater installed which will last me at least 15 years.by 2044 there will be much cheaper electric vans and the infrastructure to charge them up... ;)

Wouldn’t leave it too long. New vans are as rare as rockinghorse poo at the moment. Citroen lead times at my local garage are a minimum of eighteen months. There is no stock. You can’t buy a Proace on Toyotas website either. They have withdrawn the option as they can’t get them. I managed to find a Proace City pre- registered but had to pay a fortune for it. Dealers know there is nothing about and hike the prices.

deeege

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2023, 10:25:51 pm »

Wouldn’t leave it too long. New vans are as rare as rockinghorse poo at the moment. Citroen lead times at my local garage are a minimum of eighteen months. There is no stock. You can’t buy a Proace on Toyotas website either. They have withdrawn the option as they can’t get them. I managed to find a Proace City pre- registered but had to pay a fortune for it. Dealers know there is nothing about and hike the prices.

Plenty of 12-18 month old Berlingos around with low mileage. I’ve just bought one, still pricey but considerably cheaper than brand new. That first 18 months is when they depreciate in value the most.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Ggh

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 11:23:29 am »
Last time I looked, it was going to take nearly 3 days to get 3.5t van to Newcastle.
Not really an option!
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Bungle

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2023, 11:49:21 am »
A friend of mine is thinking about buying a Renault Twizzy. 69 plate, 8k to commute to work. Reckons it'll cost him £1 a week to get to and from work mon to fri. He already has a car. By the time he saves the 8k in fuel the car will be useless anyway. I think he's mad.
We look at them, they look through them.

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2023, 10:07:03 am »
Reading between the lines on this thread the date for electrifying comercials will be pushed back after 2030.If no manfactures have any available (or very few), it looks to me like they will have the inside track on development timescales!!
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

Bungle

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2023, 06:37:36 pm »
A friend of mine is thinking about buying a Renault Twizzy. 69 plate, 8k to commute to work. Reckons it'll cost him £1 a week to get to and from work mon to fri. He already has a car. By the time he saves the 8k in fuel the car will be useless anyway. I think he's mad.

He's only gone and bought it! Nutter.
We look at them, they look through them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2023, 10:27:46 pm »
You been up to the railway museum in york , gold . ? We went over Christmas. That place would be right up your street , really impressive. Some of those engines are like rockets . And it’s free in . 😁good for a Yorkshire lad .

Yes. Also the one in Durham and the one in Swindon.
It's a game of three halves!

Steven Biggs

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2023, 05:11:59 am »
Alright , big head . 😁

DJW

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2023, 07:23:48 am »
He’s gone off the rails.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2023, 08:03:40 am »
He’s gone off the rails.

York does have a great aircraft museum too.

It's a game of three halves!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2023, 08:42:13 am »
Petrol engines in the 1920s, and more recently, weren't particularly reliable. Places to fill with fuel weren't so plentiful either. Might we currently be in the equivalent of the 1920s regarding EVs? We have the technological nous these days to work through it more quickly.

NWH

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2023, 08:48:28 am »
They better get going then.

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2023, 09:11:40 am »
I looked at the nissan nv200e electric can 2 years ago. I actually agree with you for wanting one and thinking it is good for the environment with all the stop starts.
The thing that put me off was that the battery is under the loadspace..... so under the water tank. So to have a crash tested system with a 500 litre tank wasn't an option at the time as the bolts that hold the tank to the chassis would be obstructed by the battery.
Ignore many of the above comments by those who think they know all about this subject based on comments like ' my mate said' etc. Maybe in the last 2 years things have moved on. Also as an owner of an electric car with genuine expreience the cost for a home charger is between 500 and 1000..... not 1500 as previously quoted.
My round being quite compact would mean I would charge the van every 2 days and the price of electric compared to diesel currently is between 30 to 50 percent...... so still offers good cost savings.
The main drawback is the cost of the vehicle. I hope you find this information useful as opposed to some of the crap written before