This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rogga

Selling work
« on: September 14, 2021, 09:22:27 pm »
Hi fellow windies.
I run a team of 3 lads, plus myself = 4. We are constantly 2 to 3 weeks behind on a 4 weekly cycle. 2 of the lads are part time 3 and 4 days per week respectively and have chosen to do so because like me they are knocking on a bit. My other lad is 22 and he's steady away, probably reaching 3rd gear most days without shifting into 4th too often.  We do okay without fear of breaking daily records some guys record on the forum. I 'm not looking to recruit another body to take up the slack as I'm a bit jaded with employing.  Now is the right time for trimming the round by about 20% reduction so we can get around on time. We also do add ons as well as the window cleaning so may keep running a bit late especially Spring and Summer.
The work i have left after selling some last year is obviously my best. It is now very hard to chose what to let go.  I'm curious as to when some of you guys go to sell off quality work that you are driven to do so, what are some of the criteria you put in place. For me its not all about price as I'm preferring local to travelling. Stress free parking to busier roads. Smaller houses using shorter pole length to access smaller windows. Compact rounds etc. I'm struggling on this next sell off as I said before Im now considering letting go of my quality rounds. Thanks for any input.

Slacky

Re: Selling work
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:11 pm »
Is she a looker?

james peters

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:54:51 am »
Hi fellow windies.
I run a team of 3 lads, plus myself = 4. We are constantly 2 to 3 weeks behind on a 4 weekly cycle. 2 of the lads are part time 3 and 4 days per week respectively and have chosen to do so because like me they are knocking on a bit. My other lad is 22 and he's steady away, probably reaching 3rd gear most days without shifting into 4th too often.  We do okay without fear of breaking daily records some guys record on the forum. I 'm not looking to recruit another body to take up the slack as I'm a bit jaded with employing.  Now is the right time for trimming the round by about 20% reduction so we can get around on time. We also do add ons as well as the window cleaning so may keep running a bit late especially Spring and Summer.
The work i have left after selling some last year is obviously my best. It is now very hard to chose what to let go.  I'm curious as to when some of you guys go to sell off quality work that you are driven to do so, what are some of the criteria you put in place. For me its not all about price as I'm preferring local to travelling. Stress free parking to busier roads. Smaller houses using shorter pole length to access smaller windows. Compact rounds etc. I'm struggling on this next sell off as I said before Im now considering letting go of my quality rounds. Thanks for any input.

interesting thread.
have you thought about putting changing the frequency to 8 weeks and increasing the price slightly?

I wish I had chosen to go 6 weekly across the board when I first started.

Rogga

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 08:06:27 pm »
Thanks James. Just put most of the prices up a couple of months ago. Thought long and hard about going 6 weekly but ive had the round that long and have run it pretty much around every 4 weeks but really struggling with the workload lately. Going to decrease the add ons uptake by upping the prices and concentrate on window cleaning more. Ive still to reduce the customer base. The trouble is theyre all very good customers and nice areas to work in. Hence finding a suitable criteria to chose what to let go. Ive got ideas but was very interested to hear if others used criteria and which.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 09:47:12 pm »
if they are all good and not much to choose between them - why worry ? just cut down to the size you want and carry on

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Rogga

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 06:52:03 pm »
Cheers Darran. Probably right, overthinking it as usual.

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 08:07:14 pm »
Ive just sold off 50 customers this weekend.

Same as you, very hard to pick which to let go as all is pretty decent now.

The area i sold is slightly bigger houses so more awkward windows and a longer pole.

I much prefer cleaning 3 bed semis with an 18ft pole to 4 bed detached with 25ft pole. Not all about money, just an easier day.

Rogga

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 06:30:14 pm »
Cheers Stoots. I spent a few hours this weekend and consulted my employee. We agreed that one of the main criteria was to reduce the amount of severe angles and length of pole needed to clear obstructions and expanses. Our big houses that we've clung onto for years because of price were suddenly in the firing line. Something i would have never considered a few years ago. Really giving something a lot of thought usually gets you the answer you look for.

james peters

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 08:10:07 pm »
Cheers Stoots. I spent a few hours this weekend and consulted my employee. We agreed that one of the main criteria was to reduce the amount of severe angles and length of pole needed to clear obstructions and expanses. Our big houses that we've clung onto for years because of price were suddenly in the firing line. Something i would have never considered a few years ago. Really giving something a lot of thought usually gets you the answer you look for.

thats the great thing about this business , we can kind of taylor make out rounds to  the way we want it to be .
the hardest thing is learning to say no, or having the courage to charge over inflated to make the harder jobs worth while .
personally rogga , I think you are in a really comfortable position to now increase takings for less work and less stress .
keep us updated  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 10:22:38 am »

It goes against logic, as you would naturally asume cleaning less bigger houses per day would be better than cleaning more smaller ones.

But for me it's just not the case, although the hourly rate may be the same, cleaning the smaller ones over the day leaves me feeling a lot less fatigued.

I can quite happily blast out 25 smaller houses flicking an 18ft pole about.

Compare that to stretching away over a conny with a 25ft pole with the sun beaming down on you. You know the ones where you get back to the van and are breathing heavy.

I hate the bigger houses on my round now.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:49:27 pm »

It goes against logic, as you would naturally asume cleaning less bigger houses per day would be better than cleaning more smaller ones.

But for me it's just not the case, although the hourly rate may be the same, cleaning the smaller ones over the day leaves me feeling a lot less fatigued.

Compare that to stretching away over a conny with a 25ft pole with the sun beaming down on you. You know the ones where you get back to the van and are breathing heavy.

sounds like you have a health problem.....you shouldnt be having breathing problems at your age......im never out of breath cleaning awkward windows on my round(and i have loads of them to clean most days!)....

i cleaned 20 properties today,most had at least 2 or 3 awkward windows,some i need to have my pole virtually horizontal at 25 ft.....plus i was drumming with my band last night for 4 hours then lugging equipment upstairs at midnight...night before that i was at the gym lifting weights and im 50 next month.... ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 07:11:29 pm »

sounds like you have a health problem.....you shouldnt be having breathing problems at your age......im never out of breath cleaning awkward windows on my round(and i have loads of them to clean most days!)....

i cleaned 20 properties today,most had at least 2 or 3 awkward windows,some i need to have my pole virtually horizontal at 25 ft.....plus i was drumming with my band last night for 4 hours then lugging equipment upstairs at midnight...night before that i was at the gym lifting weights and im 50 next month.... ;D ;D
Sounds like you need to refine your work! I got rid of this type of work ages ago, plenty easy work to be had out there😉

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 07:29:26 pm »
theres hardly any properties where i work that dont have some awkward windows,even the estate work ive been cleaning for 20+ years have slowly over time had extensions and conservatories built onto them......

Rogga

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 07:59:58 pm »
I agree Stoots. A day mainly comprised of big houses as left me more tired, achy and drained than other days. There tends to be bigger extensions, conservatories and higher windows. Ladders to access hidden windows. It takes its toll on the body. The pole seemed to be at full extension for most part. Lots of lactic acid build up in the shoulders. The prices are good but there are easier ways to earn. Today has definately freshened my thoughts as to what needs to go. When i was younger these type of properties were well sought after. When i sell it will probably be to a younger chap who has that same idea. Great to hear the various responses. Thanks chaps

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 11:15:03 pm »
I agree Stoots. A day mainly comprised of big houses as left me more tired, achy and drained than other days. There tends to be bigger extensions, conservatories and higher windows. Ladders to access hidden windows. It takes its toll on the body. The pole seemed to be at full extension for most part. Lots of lactic acid build up in the shoulders. The prices are good but there are easier ways to earn. Today has definately freshened my thoughts as to what needs to go. When i was younger these type of properties were well sought after. When i sell it will probably be to a younger chap who has that same idea. Great to hear the various responses. Thanks chaps

i dont seem to have a problem whether its large houses/offices and commercial or run of the mill estate work....it must be a combination of working short days,using the lightest wfp equipment available,strength training over many years and very little add on work like f/s/g/conny roofs these days...

are you close to retirement age mate?

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 06:29:10 am »
Repetitive strain is real daz.

I'm 10 years younger than you but get lots of aches and pains.

I also use an extreme 25 but it doesn't matter, towing away with it over a conny at almost horizontal still gets the old shoulders burning and over a day is draining.

Maybe you are right and it's the weight lifting that helps you.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 08:49:18 am »
Repetitive strain is real daz.

I'm 10 years younger than you but get lots of aches and pains.

I also use an extreme 25 but it doesn't matter, towing away with it over a conny at almost horizontal still gets the old shoulders burning and over a day is draining.

Maybe you are right and it's the weight lifting that helps you.

my arms,upper back,chest and shoulders are big......my missus calls me jonny bravo!i think the weight training has helped massively over the years with poling as well as using the lightest gear.....

Rogga

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 05:50:30 pm »
Hi Dazmond. Yeah, getting there (58 in a few weeks). Been at this game well over 30 years. Ladders and flannellette bed sheets cut up when i first started. What an ordeal for little money. Strangely enough we enjoyed it for most part. Squeegees and scrim soon followed and i got my act together. The money improved and so did my motivation. Then the heavy lances of fibre glass poles with the vikan brick brush on the end. Now extreme pole and superlite brush and the irony is im getting a bit knackered ha ha. Cut my hours back to 5hrs on the glass a day and im aiming to trim the round with work that doesnt require as much grunt.  Maybe the years of slog have contributed to my need for 'easier' work if there is such a thing.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 06:16:33 pm »
20 houses a day lol blimey no thanks.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 08:42:45 am »
20 houses a day lol blimey no thanks.

Another 18 to clean today.....😛👍