This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin bird

Transit custom stop start
« on: April 14, 2021, 07:11:04 am »
I have a 20 plate custom bought from new,I drive to work ach day between 8 and 12 miles to my first job,with minimal stopping,then I clean between 15 and 20 houses and then drive home.
Van is hardly ever used at night or weekends,van is now 13 months old and has 14 k on the clock
During the winter months heater and fan is on and also heat seats.
Approx 6 weeks ago stop start stopped working,I had to wait all that time to get a slot for them to look at it as I needed a loan vehicle
When I picked the van up they advised the stop start had stopped working as the van was not going on long enough journeys to keep the battery charged above the level for the stop start to keep working,they have charged the battery and it's now ok.
My way of thinking stop start is fitted to vehicles to reduce pollution so perfect if you are sitting in city traffic ie London but if you are and the stop start is on and off all day and you live in London it will soon stop working due to lack of charge going back into battery.

My wife has ans Audi on a 66 plate with stop start does similar journey to me each day apart from the 15 to 20 jobs but has had no issues with stop start

I'm not really buying what there saying to me so and feedback would be appreciated

zesty

Re: Transit custom stop start
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:17:18 am »
I hate stop start, it’s turned off every time I enter the vehicle.

All it does is cause more wear and tear.

You ain’t gonna save the world with a little bit of stop start whilst China are pumping our more co2 than the west could dream of.

:D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:41 am »
I have the same problem with mine, the problem is that the battery the van comes with is pants and isn’t up to the job. The only way around it is to upgrade the battery at your own cost.

colin bird

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:50 am »
I have the same problem with mine, the problem is that the battery the van comes with is pants and isn’t up to the job. The only way around it is to upgrade the battery at your own cost.

Yes I agree my thoughts are either the battery is not big enough or the alternator isn't working properly

colin bird

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:07 am »
I hate stop start, it’s turned off every time I enter the vehicle.

All it does is cause more wear and tear.

You ain’t gonna save the world with a little bit of stop start whilst China are pumping our more co2 than the west could dream of.

It's a pain in the arse having to turn it off ach time you start up,there's no way of disabling it permenantley

:D

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:54:38 am »

Yes I agree my thoughts are either the battery is not big enough or the alternator isn't working properly

Are you charging a leisure battery as well? If so how are you charging it?

Stop start is dependent on the battery's state of charge. If they charged the battery and its working then they are advising you correctly. I don't know what other emission control features you have on your van, i.e. regenerative braking etc. but winter time using all those additional accessories including the internal blower and heated windscreen (if you have it) consume vast amounts of power. Your alternator won't recharge a starter battery quickly.
8 miles might take you 16 minutes at 30mph.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

colin bird

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 08:06:14 am »

Stop start is dependent on the battery's state of charge. If they charged the battery and its working then they are advising you correctly. I don't know what other emission control features you have on your van, i.e. regenerative braking etc. but winter time using all those additional accessories including the internal blower and heated windscreen (if you have it) consume vast amounts of power. Your alternator won't recharge a starter battery quickly.

Leisure battery is charged seperatly,
So is the way forward when the stop starts stops should I charge battery ?

Slacky

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 08:18:15 am »
My custom’s stop-start failed after a few months. Same diagnosis despite using it for long journeys, regularly. IMO it’s pants, Ford know it, but haven’t got round to resolving it.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:22:55 am »

Leisure battery is charged seperatly,
So is the way forward when the stop starts stops should I charge battery ?

You will probably find it best to incorporate a weekly starter battery charge into your schedule. It may not be necessary in summer when you stop using those winter comfort accessories.

Charging my leisure battery using a B2B charger sucks power from my starter battery. Now I have hard wired my charger into the starter battery side of my B2B charger so I fully recharge both batteries every time.

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:25:19 am »
My custom’s stop-start failed after a few months. Same diagnosis despite using it for long journeys, regularly. IMO it’s pants, Ford know it, but haven’t got round to resolving it.

I also think that the calcium acid batteries aren't as good as the older lead acid batteries have proved to be. They have improved but not there yet.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 10:26:33 am »
I think that Grippa came up with a charging system to get round this.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 12:44:51 pm »
Same prob in my 16 plate vivaro. I don’t do ling enough journeys for starter battery to get fully charged. I bench charge it in situ with ctek stop/start charger once a month now.  Original van battery was only capable if charging to 60% auto electrician told me. Bought s new battery but same happened a few weeks later hence why i now bench it.  I also have a sterling battery to battery charger but also bench that nightly with a ctek mx7.  Still the stop start will only work for a few days after starter battery is charged. I just din’t do the mileage.  Can’t be bothered to turn it off every time i get in the vehicle. Can’t turn it off permanently though. I actually quite like it when it’s working

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 03:22:52 pm »
I found it frustrating waiting at traffic lights for it to start back up so held the button down for three seconds to overrun the system so it's permanently locked from stopping the engine at lights, stupid function in the first place for practicality.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 04:28:41 pm »
mine stopped working after the first few months and that was 4 years ago now(17 plate connect)....i have a button to turn it off anyway in the cab.....

my golf GTD stop/start works fine but ive only had it for 8 weeks from new.....
price higher/work harder!

dd

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 04:54:52 pm »
I would not call 14k mileage in 13 months low. As others have suggested battery seems to be not up to it.

Not a fan of stop/start myself.

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 04:56:18 pm »
I have a 20 plate custom bought from new,I drive to work ach day between 8 and 12 miles to my first job,with minimal stopping,then I clean between 15 and 20 houses and then drive home.
Van is hardly ever used at night or weekends,van is now 13 months old and has 14 k on the clock
During the winter months heater and fan is on and also heat seats.
Approx 6 weeks ago stop start stopped working,I had to wait all that time to get a slot for them to look at it as I needed a loan vehicle
When I picked the van up they advised the stop start had stopped working as the van was not going on long enough journeys to keep the battery charged above the level for the stop start to keep working,they have charged the battery and it's now ok.
My way of thinking stop start is fitted to vehicles to reduce pollution so perfect if you are sitting in city traffic ie London but if you are and the stop start is on and off all day and you live in London it will soon stop working due to lack of charge going back into battery.

My wife has ans Audi on a 66 plate with stop start does similar journey to me each day apart from the 15 to 20 jobs but has had no issues with stop start

I'm not really buying what there saying to me so and feedback would be appreciated

I had exactly the same issues with my renault master van , I regularly have to charge the battery to keep it charged up , my other van an MAN TGE , is fine and keeps charged up as does  my audi ,

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 06:05:37 pm »
I would not call 14k mileage in 13 months low. As others have suggested battery seems to be not up to it.

Not a van of stop/start myself.

That's not low mileage!I've done 14k miles in 4 years and 3 months!😄👍
price higher/work harder!

JandS

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 06:15:59 pm »
It won't work when battery is low....not really a problem though is it.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 09:49:10 pm »
It won't work when battery is low....not really a problem though is it.

The problem comes from what happens if the battery becomes too low in charge.

It won't start the van.

A calcium battery is less prone to sulphation but not immune to it. Leaving a battery at a low level of charge is a problem as the battery will deteriorate quicker due to sulphation. Sulphation affects every battery to one degree or another.

A calcium battery needs a higher charge rate than a standard lead acid battery. Its needs 14.8v where a maintenance free lead acid battery requires 14.2v. A flooded battery requires 14.6v.

My Numax battery charger pushes out 13.9v. So the Numax leisure battery charger won't fully recharge a calcium battery.  It won't fully recharge a leisure battery either but it does a good enough job. However, recharging the starter battery will help as it gives the van's alternator a base to work from.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 11:38:19 pm »

Not a van of stop/start myself.

That's not low mileage!I've done 14k miles in 4 years and 3 months!😄👍
My van is 20 months old and has done 6k miles. I just sold my car last week, just coming up for 6 years old and only had 11k miles on it.