This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dd

Re: Transit custom stop start
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2021, 05:41:04 pm »
The answer is clear - it's a Ford

Audi is a different league entirely

Darran
It is not like Ford vans are cheap though is it? They are more expensive than most other vans except VW (at least when I look at vans anyway).

Flash..

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2021, 10:26:36 pm »
Modern vans have intellegant alternators, if you are charging your pump battery off the van battery you will need to fit a DC to DC battery charger in the van, The stop start will work then, it wont work whilst the van battery is charging your pump battery without it.  My son understands this stuff not me and he was right as soon as he fitted the charger pump battery charges itself and stop start works.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2021, 10:58:16 pm »
Modern vans have intellegant alternators, if you are charging your pump battery off the van battery you will need to fit a DC to DC battery charger in the van, The stop start will work then, it wont work whilst the van battery is charging your pump battery without it.  My son understands this stuff not me and he was right as soon as he fitted the charger pump battery charges itself and stop start works.
I don’t use pumps or anything electrical on my system, so I don’t draw anything from the van battery. It’s just a simple case of the batteries that Ford install not being up to the job. I’m a member of the Custom owners group and there is many a thread on there about battery issues.

simon w

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2021, 02:34:03 pm »
I've a new Custom Limited coming in August should I be thinking of upgrading the vehicle battery on delivery of the new van?

Splash & dash

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2021, 11:37:20 pm »
I've a new Custom Limited coming in August should I be thinking of upgrading the vehicle battery on delivery of the new van?

No it should come with the correct battery to work the stop start , if you get issues it will have a manufacturers guarantee of how ever many years they offer to cover it , my new van has 3 years unlimited mileage guaranteed on everything apart from tyres and break linings

KS Cleaning

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2021, 10:45:13 am »

No it should come with the correct battery to work the stop start , if you get issues it will have a manufacturers guarantee of how ever many years they offer to cover it , my new van has 3 years unlimited mileage guaranteed on everything apart from tyres and break linings
They won’t change the battery under warranty unless it shows a fault code. Unfortunately it won’t show as a fault code because the battery isn’t strong enough to operate the stop/start.

simon w

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2021, 11:00:30 am »
So it's best to just upgrade the battery on arrival

KS Cleaning

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:41 am »
So it's best to just upgrade the battery on arrival
I would wait and see, there may be a slim chance that Ford will have started installing a better battery by then as it’s been well documented that the current battery they install isn’t up to the job.

Splash & dash

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 01:26:41 pm »

They won’t change the battery under warranty unless it shows a fault code. Unfortunately it won’t show as a fault code because the battery isn’t strong enough to operate the stop/start.

If they fit a battery that won’t operate the stop start then it’s not fit for purpose weather it shows a fault code or not , I would be contacting trading standards if they refused to sort it out , when buying a new van you shouldn’t be having to change a battery .

KS Cleaning

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2021, 02:48:55 pm »

If they fit a battery that won’t operate the stop start then it’s not fit for purpose weather it shows a fault code or not , I would be contacting trading standards if they refused to sort it out , when buying a new van you shouldn’t be having to change a battery .
I totally agree. My van was in at Ford for 2 days for them to carry out the necessary battery checks. The Ford garage that carry out the maintenance on my van were very apologetic but said Ford wouldn’t authorise changing the battery under warranty as there was no fault code. Trading standards aren’t quite so hot when it’s business to business transactions so I just left it at that for now. If you really want your battery changed under warranty I would recommend short journeys with all electrics on to try and run the battery down, winter time is usually good for this.
The truth is these vans emissions will be a lot higher than the official figures given by Ford and are probably not ULEZ compliant due to the stop/start bein inoperable. Maybe Watchdog would be a better option than trading standards😆