This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon w

Automatic Gearbox's WC Vans
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:00:52 am »
Having never owned a vehicle with an automatic gearbox and only really driven a few I'm after a bit of advice on whether this could prove problematic for what we use our vans for?

I'm looking at Ford Custom L2 320 panel van new or very new 19/20 plate and seeing that a lot have auto gear box's

Something like this    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202102149058056?postcode=bs169jb&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&body-type=Panel%20Van&make=FORD&model=TRANSIT%20CUSTOM&keywords=320&advertising-location=at_vans&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

Any thoughts on pros or cons? I'm likely to keep the van for maximum 10 years 

dazmond

Re: Automatic Gearbox's WC Vans
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:13:10 pm »
Having never owned a vehicle with an automatic gearbox and only really driven a few I'm after a bit of advice on whether this could prove problematic for what we use our vans for?

I'm looking at Ford Custom L2 320 panel van new or very new 19/20 plate and seeing that a lot have auto gear box's

Something like this     https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202102149058056?postcode=bs166nh&sort=relevance&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_vans&body-type=Panel%20Van&make=FORD&model=TRANSIT%20CUSTOM&keywords=320&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

No idea with vans but I've just got a brand new golf GTD with an automatic DSG gearbox....I'm converted!absolutely love it......it feels much faster than the manual GTD I used to have but that's probably because the torque and hp are slightly higher....

It's the first vehicle I've had that's an automatic(VW dont do a manual option anymore)
price higher/work harder!

EandM

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:32:28 pm »

Something like this     https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202102149058056?postcode=bs166nh&sort=relevance&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_vans&body-type=Panel%20Van&make=FORD&model=TRANSIT%20CUSTOM&keywords=320&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

No idea with vans but I've just got a brand new golf GTD with an automatic DSG gearbox....I'm converted!absolutely love it......it feels much faster than the manual GTD I used to have but that's probably because the torque and hp are slightly higher....

It's the first vehicle I've had that's an automatic(VW dont do a manual option anymore)

DSG's are fine but they're technically automated manuals rather than autos as they lack a torque converter.

Transit autos seem ok. The 10 speed is better than the 6 and problems with them seem to be few.
There are some reports of shifting issues but it's likely to be a software issue rather than a mechanical one.

Best bet would be to go and test one and see what you think. Ideally, try a manual too and see which you prefer.

There's a long running debate on the Ranger forums between the two. They use the same engines and boxes as the Transit and It seems to be more personal preference than anything else.

I have seen autoboxes overheat and put the engine into limp mode when towing heavy loads but that's unlikely to be an issue in a Transit.

tlwcs

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:34:25 pm »
VW Caddy dsg auto box
No issues does the same as a manual!

bravo20

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 03:04:34 pm »
I have a transit connect with the auto box, absolutely fantastic.
Just do it, your left leg will thank you every day 😀
My main car is auto as well, have a couple of classics that are manual, but they're just for fun in summer so can cope with that.

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:14 pm »
Mate of mine is a builder with a new Ranger pick up, manual. I asked him why he doesn't get auto and he said that the manual gives him more control when manoeuvring his trailer forward and back. Other than that, he would have got auto.

Personally, I love autos.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 05:15:02 pm »
I have just bought a new MAN TGE van that’s an auto much better than a Manuel especially when pulling away or reversing up steep slopes all my manual vans slip the clutch and you can smell it burning none of that with the auto it’s much smother as well but does  use a bit more fuel .

Ched

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:13 pm »
There are autos and autos you really need to drive it to see how you like it. Years ago had a Renault auto as a hire car - it was so dangerous press throttle to pull onto roundabout and it could move off instantly or after 5 seconds just random!!! Then the next week had a C class merc and that auto was perfect - it always seemed to know what gear you needed before you needed it. A good few years later I bought a Merc C230 coupe with auto and loved it - had it about 8 years.

Research the reliability which should be fairly good these days.

Moral is test drive it with a good mix of driving and manoeuvring  on long test drive.

Mike Burd

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 06:24:05 pm »
When I drive a van it’s usually manual, but I drive auto cars and have an auto Ducato motorhome and would go for an auto van if the price was the same and I drive one every day. I’d never buy a manual car again.

RPCCS

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 06:54:23 pm »
When I drive a van it’s usually manual, but I drive auto cars and have an auto Ducato motorhome and would go for an auto van if the price was the same and I drive one every day. I’d never buy a manual car again.
I'm like that now, I had a manual car about 12 years ago and the clutch went on it,it got repaired but was never right again do swapped it for same car but auto and loved it. Current car is also auto which is better for towing the caravan. If I could get an auto van I would.   O P would you go electric? I would get one but the areas I work in have no charging points. One is 19 miles the others are 8 ,10 and 15miles from home
Cheers Rich

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 06:58:59 pm »
the only thing that used to put me off autos years ago was i could never afford a vehicle that was new (or reasonably new)so i figured if an auto goes wrong it would cost a lot of money to get fixed so i avoided them like the plague......
price higher/work harder!

wayne 77

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 07:10:27 pm »

Something like this    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202102149058056?postcode=bs169jb&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&body-type=Panel%20Van&make=FORD&model=TRANSIT%20CUSTOM&keywords=320&advertising-location=at_vans&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

Ford Transit Custom 320 LWB Limited 2.0 EcoBlue 170ps FWD Auto 6 Speed
Our Price: £23,320.00 + VAT + RFL
NEW VAN
Just done a quick search found on happy new vans
Had Custom auto like driving a car lovely van

NWH

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 07:32:37 pm »
I’ll have an Auto next time round Van prices are silly and Auto ones are even more so.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 07:35:58 pm »
I have a Custom Sport Auto, I love it. Yes there is a very small delay in the gears changing if comparing it to the instant gear change of a performance car, but it is more than passable for a van. It makes driving in town so easy and effortless compared to a manual. I think the only issue with autos is the towing capacity, but I’m sure that doesn’t apply to you so I would say go for it, you won’t regret it. Both our cars are Auto as well, I would never go back to manual.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 07:44:47 pm »
The first Auto we owned was an Audi A6 2.0 litre with the multitronic auto box, it was great.......until it had to go in for a minor recall and the dealership very kindly/shrewdly gave us a 3.0 litre with tiptronic auto box as a courtesy car for the day, WOW, what a difference a good box can make, needless to say the A6 soon got chopped in for an SQ5 with the tiptronic box. There was method in their madness giving me that courtesy car🤑🤑

NWH

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »
I’ll never buy another manual driving an Auto all the way to Scotland to stay in KSs bed for a few nights will be more comfortable for me 🛌

KS Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 08:15:52 pm »
I’ll never buy another manual driving an Auto all the way to Scotland to stay in KSs bed for a few nights will be more comfortable for me 🛌
Remember n let me out of the bed before you climb in tho😲

NWH

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 09:15:52 pm »
They’ll be no North South divide between us when I come up there,I’ve had a word with my Mrs she has said she doesn’t mind sleeping in the shed for 1 night 🛌 💤 while we catch up and you show me the views.

JandS

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 02:29:49 pm »
Dazmond......I've just bought a brand new VW......it has a manual gearbox........bought it in October so 70 plate.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

windowswashed

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 03:02:34 pm »
I had an automatic car once, yuck, give me a manual any day.  A manual keeps you more aware of your driving  :)