Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kikjason

Starting again
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:41:23 am »
Having not worked since Monday.. I think I'll be returning to work on Monday... I work on my own.. Government advice has been so hard to follow and no what to do.. Now reading information that you can work if you cannot do it from home.. My brother works for sky and there all still working which I think is totally wrong he has to go into people's homes and I don't really class that as important work.. He has to go and look at people's boxes because some people moan that there's different volumes between channels... Really wtf.. I think our job is a lot safer..

koopmaster

Re: Starting again
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:43:03 am »
My thoughts exactly.. I decided to have a week off and rest and go back to work Monday.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
Having not worked since Monday.. I think I'll be returning to work on Monday... I work on my own.. Government advice has been so hard to follow and no what to do.. Now reading information that you can work if you cannot do it from home.. My brother works for sky and there all still working which I think is totally wrong he has to go into people's homes and I don't really class that as important work.. He has to go and look at people's boxes because some people moan that there's different volumes between channels... Really wtf.. I think our job is a lot safer..

If you read the government guidelines you can still go into peoples homes as long as

1,their not self isolating and ill
2.your well
3.your keep the 2m distance rule
4.wash your hands before and after
price higher/work harder!

Pete Thompson

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:05 am »
My brother works for sky and there all still working which I think is totally wrong he has to go into people's homes and I don't really class that as important work.. He has to go and look at people's boxes because some people moan that there's different volumes between channels... Really wtf.. I think our job is a lot safer..

“I don’t really class as important work”

With all due respect, who cares what you class as important work? The government has given specific instructions about how and when tradespeople (like sky installers) can work in peoples houses.

Therefore he’s doing nothing wrong.

Most people would not class window cleaning “as important work” either. The point is, it’s not up to Joe Public to arbitrarily decide who should and should not work because they personally think it’s “not important work”. It’s up to the government, so stop criticising people or companies who then follow those instructions.

At present, the criteria of whether you can go to work or not is NOT whether or not it’s “important work”.

We need to discourage others from wrongly criticising us window cleaners from working because they don’t consider what we do as “important work”.  If you start participating in that against other workers, then you’re just as bad.

G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:17:23 am »
My brother works for sky and there all still working which I think is totally wrong he has to go into people's homes and I don't really class that as important work.. He has to go and look at people's boxes because some people moan that there's different volumes between channels... Really wtf.. I think our job is a lot safer..

With all due respect, who cares what you class as important work? The government has given specific instructions about how and when tradespeople (like sky installers) can work in peoples houses.

Most people would not class window cleaning “as important work” either. The point is, it’s not up to Joe Public to arbitrarily decide who should and should not work because they personally think it’s “not important work”. It’s up to the government, so stop criticising people or companies who then follow those instructions.

At present, the criteria of whether you can go to work or not is NOT whether or not it’s “important work”.

We need to discourage others from wrongly criticising us window cleaners from working because they don’t consider what we do as “important work”.  If you start participating in that against other workers, then you’re just as bad.
That's a good point. We can't really say what is important or absolutely essential work.
As long as we all follow government instructions should they change though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

johnwillan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:41 am »

That's a good point. We can't really say what is important or absolutely essential work.
As long as we all follow government instructions should they change though.

Agreed

johnwillan

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:57 am »
Worth a look

https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/business-closures-and-stay-at-home-faqs/

Does my business need to close?
If your business is on this list, it must close. With the exception of these organisations, the Government has not required any other businesses to close – indeed it is important for business to carry on.

However, you should take every possible step to facilitate working from home, including providing suitable IT and equipment to enable remote working. And if you have people in your offices or onsite you should ensure that they are able to follow Public Health England guidelines including, where possible, maintaining a 2 metre distance from others and washing their hands.

HTH

John

kikjason

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:10 am »
The sky staff are not happy.. Told them they don't have to work but have to use holidays or no pay. Ridiculous

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:41 am »
I agree with the first few posts about continuing on Monday. I am a one man band.  I think some that have worked have been utterly slated and I can’t help thinking if the government announced no help at all for the self employed a lot of the companies that are a ‘no’ to not working would have suddenly been a ‘yes’

In my situation I’ve got a baby and wife to support and this is our livelihood. AS LONG as we stick to the guidelines 100% no exceptions o will be carrying on but as I said very mindful and super strict with following the distancing rule/hygiene etc plus notifying each customer the night before of my arrival. If they want to cancel I will fully understand also.

kikjason

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:29 am »
Me too.. I worked Monday and everybody was happy to see me.. Don't have many customers numbers just the ones with access issues.. If I work a couple of days a week I can survive on that for a while... I'd prefer to be at home safe but what can we do

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 11:16:23 am »
I think it’s important to have a contact number for each customer on file. I think the texting the day before is another safety measure as this notifies them of my arrival and like I said if they don’t want them cleaned due to finances being affected or there complete anxiety of the situation I will be totally understanding of this. BUT we have to be super super strict and ensure we don’t go within a few metres of anyone we may see and use gloves/hand washing etc etc

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 11:18:34 am »
I was all for not working , not been since Monday but am back at it today , I simply can’t wait for June to then possibly find out that I am for some obscure reason not included in the offer !

I am practicing high hygiene care and the 2m rule , also checking if the custie can afford or wants it , that’s all you can do !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

harleyman

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 12:07:23 pm »
You can make all the excuses you  want  To work  it's not esential. What makes you think they would whant you there any way  at this time.... when they are self isolating the seeing you all over there property. They realy is no excuse to just turn up.

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 12:07:57 pm »
I was all for not working , not been since Monday but am back at it today , I simply can’t wait for June to then possibly find out that I am for some obscure reason not included in the offer !

I am practicing high hygiene care and the 2m rule , also checking if the custie can afford or wants it , that’s all you can do !

Stay safe bud.

A lot are in the same boat.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:56 pm »
You can make all the excuses you  want  To work  it's not esential. What makes you think they would whant you there any way  at this time.... when they are self isolating the seeing you all over there property. They realy is no excuse to just turn up.

Give it a rest Harley.

You still didn’t answer my question.

Your a “kept” man so it doesn’t apply to you, But answer this.

Bankruptcy or working safely as the government have advised?

Which choice?

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Simon Trapani

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 12:13:32 pm »

Uh..cos only 4 have turned us away in either van all week. One worried about their job, one having a clear out so stuff everywhere, kids playing out in garden on another & the last one was cleaning his own gutters.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:03 pm »
And as I said in my previous post I am TEXTING customers the day before so not just turning up

andyM

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:03 pm »

I've been out this morning, working, enjoying the sunshine, fresh air and of course getting paid.
We are in a better position than some (at least for the moment) that were ARE able to continue working with the appropriate measures in place.
I am making a point of contacting customers before i arrive to clean their windows, and it is a bit more hassle than usual but i think it's only right during the circumstances to notify them.

One of the Plebs

pikeman

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 12:24:46 pm »
been out today no probs. just ask before hand. some customers are over 70 not one turned me away. one is having chemo pretty sure she  wouldn't want them doing. asked the neibour  she said oh yes shes left the payment on the garden table.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 12:43:37 pm »

I worked a long day on Monday and that evening went to London to move my daughter's stuff back to Bristol for the foreseeable.
I listened to Boris's announcement that evening while sat on double yellow in London's east end while Mrs Gold and Littlest Gold got the stuff from her flat.

The next day I was too knackered to work and listened to all the to-ing and fro-ing on the TellyBox and on here and decided I would sit this week out for clarification. By Wednesday I pretty much decided that whatever the rights and wrongs and detail of the legislation, I didn't feel right working as a window cleaner. Then Nicola Sturgeon gets up and says Gardeners and Window Cleaners can and should work for the benefit of the community.

I have the luxury of being able to sit this out - especially with £2,500 a month from the government - but reading the FAQ's on the link from the post it does say that if my business hasn't been named as being in lockdown then I can, maybe even saying I should work.

But with the Government's written documents saying a business that is not mandated to close should work then the moral imperative is to not be an unnecessary burden on the tax payer.

However, I still don't feel comfortable doing so. Come Monday I might or I might make myself available to do so depending how Government clarification and public mood continues.

It's a game of three halves!