This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JJay

First cleaning not been paid - what do you do?
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:29:27 pm »
I've got from time to time people who think can messing around saying "oh I thought it went through" "oh sorry I don't want to have them clean anymore" I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about  = messers, liers, just bad pepole in general but this is time I think I've got enough and I want to give a lesson and collect money which she owe. There is one lady.
I've asked to pay 3 times already and it's been more than 2 months. She owes me 12£. I've get address, first name and phone number how I can make her to pay? Tell me Please how you dealing with such people even with the small amounts which is usually small amounts.

For example Darran from green pro sending letters about small claims court and 9 of 10 after first letter getting money.

Re: First cleaning not been paid - what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 10:44:26 pm »
I'd get more satisfaction putting the dirt back on her windows.

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 11:06:38 pm »
I've got from time to time people who think can messing around saying "oh I thought it went through" "oh sorry I don't want to have them clean anymore" I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about  = messers, liers, just bad pepole in general but this is time I think I've got enough and I want to give a lesson and collect money which she owe. There is one lady.
I've asked to pay 3 times already and it's been more than 2 months. She owes me 12£. I've get address, first name and phone number how I can make her to pay? Tell me Please how you dealing with such people even with the small amounts which is usually small amounts.

For example Darran from green pro sending letters about small claims court and 9 of 10 after first letter getting money.

£12 is not worth the trouble IMHO especially if they have declared or been declared bankrupt.

If you feel that hard done by then why not send a letter together with her name, address and all your proof/s of non payment to Experian. They are obliged to note this payment default on your customer's credit history. It will effect any further claims for credit they might ask from any financial institution.
Its then up to them to find you, settle the bill and once settled, you are obliged to then write to Experian informing them that the debt is settled.

There is no time limit between when the debt is settled and when you have to inform Experian that the debt is settled if you get my drift.

Yes, it will take time to play out but for £12 I would write the debt off if it were me.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:49 pm »
I usually get angry, swear a bit, vow to get revenge and picture myself killing their cat etc.

Then after a while I forget about it and move on.

I always send debt letters and probably get half of them cough up but still lose a couple hundred quid a year.

What can you do, unless you want to go as far as attending court over a tenner.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:12:26 pm »

From a legal point she can have a claim against you for doing this - I think its called malicious damage to property?

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 11:16:42 pm »
I usually get angry, swear a bit, vow to get revenge and picture myself killing their cat etc.

Then after a while I forget about it and move on.

I always send debt letters and probably get half of them cough up but still lose a couple hundred quid a year.

What can you do, unless you want to go as far as attending court over a tenner.

I agree. I understand there is a principle involved, but sometimes its not in our jurisdiction to dish out punishment, especially when the odds of success are not in our favour.

CleanClear

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:00 pm »

First tip: Always get your customers full name.

...And DOB if you think you'll have to drag 'em through Court in the future.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

andyM

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 11:45:58 pm »
£12?  Write it off, remove her from the round. Forget about it, move on and don’t waste any more of your time or effort on it.
One of the Plebs

JJay

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 12:12:02 am »
My friend write off 400£ last tax year because of that and I want to avoid losing money. It's business , not charity for one off messers. About those who easily writing off money. How many those 12£ you are actually writing off and allowing people to waste your time effort and resources?
If you hiring plumber to get tap outside house done and after when he made brilliant job and you don't want to pay you would say "just write it off mate, don't worry"
How's that making sense?

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:55 am »
Mate,  im sure this isnt the first time its happened and it wont be the last, unless you get them all to sign up to gocardless first and save yourself the hassle
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 02:38:27 am »
The time and energy you’re expending worrying about it and getting hacked off is worth more than £12.

Some people don’t pay. It’s a fact of life and business. Don’t take it personally.

Make reasonable efforts to recover it, then give up and write it off. Anything else is simply bad business practice.

After a while you get a nose for customers who are likely to be problem payers, but some always slip through.

tlwcs

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 06:21:50 am »
You wrote off over £400 last year?
If your mainly domestic say with an average of  a £20 per clean, that’s nearly 2 a month not paying?
Make sure they have the money to pay on the day
Take payment b4 you clean with a card reader for new first cleans
GoCardless can help but they can close the direct debit
Finally if you are losing this many regularly, maybe you should look at your technique or attitude ( maybe you come across as too nice)
Tony

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 06:47:48 am »

From a legal point she can have a claim against you for doing this - I think its called malicious damage to property?
I wouldn't do it. Just saying I'd get more satisfaction from doing that than chasing her for £12. The time and effort to get her to pay up wouldn't be worth it to me.

deeege

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 06:58:11 am »
The only way to avoid this happening is to get paid upfront for first clean. I always ask them to leave cash in a safe place if they are not going to be in. No cash = no clean.

(And while you’re at it, start charging properly for first cleans, atleast double)
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 06:58:18 am »
We fixed this problem by Charging double for your first cleans and make them setup a direct debit before we will book them in.

I don’t think anyone hasn’t paid for a first clean for almost 5 years now.

Otherwise the guys are right, you need to look at what customers you are attracting and learn how to weed out messers before you work.

If you spend your time chasing £12 debts you will never successfully grow

Good luck
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

alank

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 07:43:08 am »
Forget and move on. Next.  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:21 am »
I've NEVER not been paid for a first clean in 26 years of window cleaning....I do write off money though....usually it's around £50-£100 per year.....currently this year its £16....usually when a customer dies owing me.....

£12?...... it's not worth it mate....concentrate on channeling your energy into getting more customers and looking after your existing ones....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 08:17:12 am »
You can use this to your advantage in the future by saying to a new customer that you want paying up front for the (higher priced) first clean - no ifs or buts. Just say that you don't mean them personally but that you've had your fingers burned before.

Now revenge ... don't do it.

But if you are feeling kindly you might have noticed there is a bit of grit in their front door lock and about six months later attempt to get it out with a cocktail stick. Whatever you do, don't let it snap off in the lock and drive it deeper in your attempts to get it out. No. Don't do that.  ;D

Seriously ... don't do it - just imagine it! Not least you could get caught on camera.

If you really need to have closure go to the door at 8 in the morning and ask for payment face to face. If she has "no money" and you still want closure ask when she will be in and collect at a specifically arranged time.
It's a game of three halves!

jk999

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 08:29:40 am »
You all must be doing something wrong if it happens alot only payers that haven't paid me are the ones that move house before i collect, its not worth the hassle over 12 pounds

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 08:50:12 am »
I end up writing off about £100 a year due to bad payers.  All small amounts £8-£12.  Some it's unavoidable, death and serious illness.  There's always a few who are just bad customers, either got terrible memories or just don't see us seriously enough to be bothered.  But like others have said, you get a nose for who they are and drop them. I seldom forget a bad customer, even after years and if they ever ask me again, I ask for what they owe first before l even consider a restart. However, it hardly ever happens because they still don't pay up even when they promise to.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.