Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dry Clean

Re: Hot water again
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 05:54:02 pm »
Why does it feel like deja vu... Again again again again  ;D

Show me a thread that doesn't feel like deja vu, if it wasn't for snake oils, gimmicks, messers and pricing what else would we have to talk about. lol

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 03:53:48 pm »

Hot water is great for jobs like these....👍😎
price higher/work harder!

dd

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 05:46:44 pm »
I use cold water and have no plan to go hot but to me it is common sense that hot water would clean more efficiently than cold. It would need to be 50 degrees plus probably.

I find hot water much better for dish washing than cold, and the dishwasher and washing machine both use hot water.

If you do a google search on hot water vs cold the scientific explanation seems to be: heating water decreases its viscosity and increases the kinetic activity of the water molecules.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 06:02:04 pm »
another 2 plus points.....windows dry quicker and i have no drop off in flow to my brush in the colder months due to the lower viscosity of warm/hot water....

Dry Clean

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 06:23:47 pm »
I use cold water and have no plan to go hot but to me it is common sense that hot water would clean more efficiently than cold. It would need to be 50 degrees plus probably.

I find hot water much better for dish washing than cold, and the dishwasher and washing machine both use hot water.

If you do a google search on hot water vs cold the scientific explanation seems to be: heating water decreases its viscosity and increases the kinetic activity of the water molecules.
Try cleaning dishes without detergent and you wont see any difference, washing machines are now being made to use cold water only, but at the end of the day a clean window is a clean window and thats all that counts, the only thing that it could do is make the clean quicker but Iv yet to see any hot user prove that it does.

Jonny 87

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 06:27:15 pm »

Try cleaning dishes without detergent and you wont see any difference, washing machines are now being made to use cold water only, but at the end of the day a clean window is a clean window and thats all that counts, the only thing that it could do is make the clean quicker but Iv yet to see any hot user prove that it does.

Now that is ridiculous Sean.

Next time you have a greasy plate,  run it under the cold tap, then under the hot. Regardless of detergent hot water cleans better than cold. You’d be mad to think otherwise.

As has already been posted, there’s science behind why hot cleans better than cold.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dry Clean

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 06:49:30 pm »

Now that is ridiculous Sean.

Next time you have a greasy plate,  run it under the cold tap, then under the hot. Regardless of detergent hot water cleans better than cold. You’d be mad to think otherwise.

As has already been posted, there’s science behind why hot cleans better than cold.

Water alone hot or cold wont remove grease that's a fact,  and yes there may be a scientific reason why hot will clean certain products better than cold but that doesn't mean it applies to what we are removing from glass, my windows will be as clean as yours and you are deluded if you think other.

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 06:54:09 pm »
Where has it been posted hot (without detergent) cleans better than cold

I have only found sites that state hot and cold water without detergent clean exactly the same it was the introduction of detergents that brought in the era of hot water ( I will clarify ‘hot’ upto 130 degrees f 50 degrees c ) there is better cleaning and bacterial benefits at and around boiling point

So, at the temps used at wfp there appears to be no particular speed benefit

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dave Willis

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 07:14:58 pm »
What I can’t work out regards speed (apart from bird poo). Is that you’d have to physically do something different with your technique to clean glass quicker.
So, hot users, what do you do differently? Less strokes on the glass, less water or what? None of us can see the microscopic dirt coming off anyway so how do we know hot is faster than cold?

Shrek

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2019, 07:49:57 pm »
Exactly - you still have to move the brush up and down and side to side the same amount of times so how do you get quicker?
We don’t clean grease off windows , it’s just dust etc nothing greasy though

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 08:01:55 pm »
On a straight forward maintenance clean, there isn't really any difference, apart from the ease and comfort of the hose etc.
However, first cleans, 8 weekly cleans, tree sap on the windows, insect poop etc etc needs less strokes and agitation etc and does make you slightly faster
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 09:41:55 pm »
Tree sapp grease bird poo and I mean baked on bird poo as well as small yellow bee spots are removed effortlessly with hot water,if hot was no better than cold like I’ve said before I wouldn’t have got another or I’d turn mine off most of the time but it stays on all the time for me I love it.
You can debate resin quality or 1 squeegee is better than another but hot over cold there’s not really a debate to be had other than is it worth the money,the fact it is better is obvious it’s not debatable when you are taking about whether or not it cleans everything better of course it does.
Try getting up and looking at you’re work from the inside of jobs not from 25-30ft away,most stuff looks clean at that distance hot  gives you confidence the jobs done better.

Shrek

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:14 pm »
Come on , it doesn’t save you that much time - your talking 1 or 2 seconds

Dry Clean

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:27 pm »
Tree sapp grease bird poo and I mean baked on bird poo as well as small yellow bee spots are removed effortlessly with hot water,if hot was no better than cold like I’ve said before I wouldn’t have got another or I’d turn mine off most of the time but it stays on all the time for me I love it.
You can debate resin quality or 1 squeegee is better than another but hot over cold there’s not really a debate to be had other than is it worth the money,the fact it is better is obvious it’s not debatable when you are taking about whether or not it cleans everything better of course it does.
Try getting up and looking at you’re work from the inside of jobs not from 25-30ft away,most stuff looks clean at that distance hot  gives you confidence the jobs done better.

For some having an L and R wrote on their work boots would give them the confidence to go out knowing they were wearing them on the right feet, but that doesnt mean we all need the same.
For me zero customer complaints is all the confidence boosting I need.

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 08:29:14 am »
itll soon be winter lads...... ;D

another point about hot water....customers are really impressed with it esp in the colder months when the steam is coming off your brush,it looks great......and adds a bit of warm comfort on a cold dull working day.....

Spotfree

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 09:28:08 am »
It seems that the argument over hot versus cold is not whether one is more effective than another, its more like is it really needed in our industry.

I live rural and coastal at the same time and a lot of my work is like 4 weekly first cleans, some months its ok and some areas are better than others but on the whole, I think I may benefit from hot water.

I just ain't paying out to Grippa/whoever, a silly amount of money that'll basically slash my profit by a fair percentage. I do look at the systems and they do look nice etc, but when I think about handing the ££ over it kills me. Even on a monthly basis that's a lot of extra money to payout.

I do have a 3kw immersion though, but it doesn't get the water hot enough to the point where it seems to make a difference. what is the sweet spot temp wise?

I am considering getting another immersion in the tank to boost the temps right up, I reckon it'll cost no more in electricity than it would in diesel, but I won't have a stupid amount to outlay. Also the expensive frost stat I wouldn't need, as a side benefit of an immersion heater is keeping the van warm overnight so double whammy there.

I may end up with a deformed looking tank though, its probably years old now though.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 09:41:50 am »
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.   Just stick to hot or cold, whatever your affordability or happy with.

I use hot and more than happy with it.   I Don't care what others think, all I'm bothered about is if it works for me carry on  ;D
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

Dry Clean

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:31 am »

another point about hot water....customers are really impressed with it esp in the colder months when the steam is coming off your brush,it looks great......and adds a bit of warm comfort on a cold dull working day.....
[/quote

What are they ? idiots, theres no way you would be putting hot water on my cold windows risking fractures and possibly reducing their lifespan, especially when I know  it isnt needed, thing is if I was your competition I would also be pointing that out to your customers.

NWH

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 10:08:00 am »
Used hot for over 13 years cracked less than a handful,I prefer cold water tbh the hose in winter goes like telegraph pole wire it gets tangled like mad I love it 😂.
You can’t beat coming out   to you’re van in the middle of winter only to find everything frozen and frosty,I’d stay cold m8 at least you can look forward to those green weatherboard cleans or salt covered windows by the sea lovely.

nathankaye

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 11:14:22 am »

A bit like this:
https://youtu.be/v0CeiiO5qoM

But also lads, as Sean keeps harping about, yes you can do just as good with cold water but how much effort does it require?  We've all had that stubborn bird poop that you need to soak and come back to. Or the pollen/tree sap/insect poop which needs a good scrub to come off and yes it eventually does. Yet guess what, no such effort is needed when you use hot water, just a couple of passes and it's off.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk