Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Re: Average wage for a window cleaner
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:39 am »
That’s fair enough mate, appreciate your point.

I couldn’t be without my commercial work, its basically my biggest income. It is annoying doing RAMS but once it’s done, it’s done.

Domestic can be just a lucrative, I Just love getting the big lump sums each month. I don’t know if I’d still be window cleaning if I was purely domestic.

I think you’ll do well though mate. Seems you’ve got a plan and you’ve stuck at it 👍🏼

John Mart

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:34 am »
As for that postman’s wage working nights and overtime for 600 I’d say that was crap money for unsociable hours + overtime,I’ve not seen many happy postman on my travels that’s for sure they all moan about the job.

Deliveries are crap , that’s why they’re unhappy. Talk to posties in mail centres , it’s a different story.
If you were given the choice of having your own business and earning 350 a week full time , no sick pay etc or a full time job on nights paying 600 - I’m sure most would go for the employment
I've got two young ex posties working for me. It's a lot less hours and more money.

lal

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2019, 12:17:35 pm »
As for that postman’s wage working nights and overtime for 600 I’d say that was crap money for unsociable hours + overtime,I’ve not seen many happy postman on my travels that’s for sure they all moan about the job.

Deliveries are crap , that’s why they’re unhappy. Talk to posties in mail centres , it’s a different story.
If you were given the choice of having your own business and earning 350 a week full time , no sick pay etc or a full time job on nights paying 600 - I’m sure most would go for the employment
I've got two young ex posties working for me. It's a lot less hours and more money.

8 Weekly i worked for Royal Mail for 22 years in Croydon south London, i did deliveries when i first started, then worked
in the Mail Centre for the rest of the years, worked all the shifts over the years Earlys Lates Nights, did lots of overtime,
you can earn good money, but you have to put the hours in, i took early Voluntary  redundancy in 2011, moved to Ireland,
started window cleaning in 2012, does take years to get established if you persevere, but well worth the rewards, being
your own boss, good money in the summer months, very very sociable hours unlike The Royal Mail, i could never go back
to that job and them hours again.  :o

NWH

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2019, 12:24:25 pm »
As for taking 600 a week over being a self employed WCleanet no thanks I think I’ll stick with my stick cleaning glass thanks,it all depends what your used to earning.
Ask him the same question if he knew what some were earning or what you could earn 30-40 hours a week.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2019, 12:42:08 pm »
When I quote new jobs or price anything it’s irrelevent to me what another cleaner may have charged or was charging,I’ve had many jobs over the years when I’ve gone along to price a job given a price of say 35 when they’ve said the other WCleaner used to charge around 18 or 20.
Makes no difference to me at all what another WCleaner charges I want what I want for any particular job,I don’t agree with the prices being the same south of London though if you compare what you would get for the equivalent property down here I can’t see them going for what I want for a large house down south up North.
If your a city worker earning 2-300 thousand a year 80-100 for your Windows to be cleaned on your house ain’t the end of the world.

I went to price up a nice 1.3 million house up the other week, rich bloke with own business.
He seemed in a hurry to get on with his day so I thought, don't price low
Told him £90 8 weekly
He snapped my hand off
Cleaned twice now, all good
I'm in Cheshire
Some don't mind paying for a quality window cleaner, like me😂😂😂

NWH

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:08 pm »
Cheshire is a good area though up North most of the red and blue footballers live in Cheshire.

Dry Clean

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2019, 09:49:34 am »
Iv yet to meet a customer who wants to make me rich, they will pay what they need to pay, start in an area full of shiners doing a decent job for crap money and you will struggle to get better, that doesn't mean if you work smart you still cant make a decent living, I would say the HMRC average wage is down to the fact that a lot of self employed shiners don't do full time hours.

NWH

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:23 am »
They expect to see figures in the region of 25-30k per filed Tax year I was informed by someone who knows.

dazmond

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
if the average is 25k a year and mines 45k a year then over 5 years thats £100,000 more than the average windy (and working short hours too)....even with paying more tax/higher expenses ive still got plenty left over for a diesel heater........ 8)

i still dont get how some one man bands claim to earn £60k+ a year on their own working similar hours to me........yet scrimp and scrape,drive old vans and DIY everything......something doesnt add up........
price higher/work harder!

tlwcs

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
if the average is 25k a year and mines 45k a year then over 5 years thats £100,000 more than the average windy (and working short hours too)....even with paying more tax/higher expenses ive still got plenty left over for a diesel heater........ 8)

i still dont get how some one man bands claim to earn £60k+ a year on their own working similar hours to me........yet scrimp and scrape,drive old vans and DIY everything......something doesnt add up........

I’m guessing they don’t pay £70 a week rent they may have children. I’m sure the 60k you doubt you would achieve if your circumstances dictated
Tony

dazmond

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »

I’m guessing they don’t pay £70 a week rent they may have children. I’m sure the 60k you doubt you would achieve if your circumstances dictated
Tony

true....if you have 2 kids,wife and a fairly high mortgage then that would swallow a big chunk of the £60K.......

Simon Trapani

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »

You're right Daz. In my experience it seems to be part & parcel of being a window cleaner. Sooner or later the conversation with other windies always gets round to money...and then all the bullpoop comes out! ::)roll

Shrek

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2019, 05:46:57 pm »

Because they’re growing their business and keep it all in the business account instead of living like royalty 👑

dazmond

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2019, 06:14:51 pm »
over 1500 views but only 72 replies on this thread....... ;D

Dry Clean

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »

They spend what they need to spend to get the job done only fools and show offs do other.

windowswashed

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
Rather spend profits on building extension than some fancy wfp equipment. Only buy what wfp gear I need to last the year and no more.  Bricks and mortar are a better investment than piling it back into the business as a one man band.

dazmond

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2019, 07:41:04 pm »
Rather spend profits on building extension than some fancy wfp equipment. Only buy what wfp gear I need to last the year and no more.  Bricks and mortar are a better investment than piling it back into the business as a one man band.

each to their own...id rather have better equipment myself! :)

windowswashed

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:08 pm »

each to their own...id rather have better equipment myself! :)

In the twenty years I've been window cleaning the value off my home has increased 400%. Mortgage paid off now on my own.. Debt free. Cars and fancy wfp tanks, etc depreciate from day one of purchase. Can't understand why people invest in growing a business and running themselves into the ground trying to expand with all the headaches that go with it when your property increases in value from day one. I've run a business and expanded, then had to stop owing to ill health for a year.  Life has taught me health, family and friends comes before wealth. Time is more precious. :)

NWH

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:33 pm »
Save save save is ok if you suffer from severe anxiety and think you’re gonna live as the average life is mapped out,retire at 60-65 pay you’re mortgage off early don’t buy anything on credit the list goes on.
The funny thing is life is short and things don’t always go the way we think they will,if you speak to a lot of people over a certain age they all say the same thing I wished I’d done it all when I was younger I don’t want to sit at airports now I can’t do the travelling etc.
My view is if you can afford it and you want it have it,who knows what’s round the corner,a lot of people spend there whole life working to leave it to there kids but they will never know that when they aren’t here anymore there kids will be gagging to spend what they’ve tried to save there whole lives,worth thinking about I guess as I’ve heard that same story from more than a dozen 70+ older people.

nathankaye

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2019, 08:27:45 pm »
Wife, kids, x wife or x wives, on going long term illnesses etc etc is the reality of many or can be the reality of it.
Its also true that it depends where in the country you are as to prices you can charge on a large scale and as some have mentioned, their aim could be for a balanced life and not of gaining riches and sometimes that is down to lessons learnt harshly or through unfortunate turns of events in a persons health.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk