This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G & M

split charge relay
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
 Hi  I know this topic has been covered before.  Which type of relay is suitable for new vans and can they be fitted easily by someone with basic wiring skills?

CleanClear

Re: split charge relay
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:16 pm »
If its one of them new vans with the stop start technology you'll probably need a "Battery to Battery Charger", (B2B) rather than a relay.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 06:13:09 pm »
Hi  I know this topic has been covered before.  Which type of relay is suitable for new vans and can they be fitted easily by someone with basic wiring skills?

I'm going to add to Cleanclears reply. The important issue is that some vans that have stop start technology may still work with a split charge relay or a voltage sensitive relay.

But if your van has regeneratve braking then you got to have a B2B charger.

Can they be fitted with someone with basic electrical skills? Yes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterling-Power-12v-30amp-Battery-to-Battery-Charger-BB1230/252410937461?hash=item3ac4dd4075:g:iUoAAOSwyltZTR4-

If you contact this chap (I think his name is Mike) who runs simply split charge on Ebay he will help you. He isn't just a supplier that buys and sells what he thinks he can make money on. I've conversed with him and, in my opinion, he knows his product.

You can buy a kit and there will be full fitting instructions.

The only 'issue' is that you may have to identify a positive power source from the ignition that switches off with the key.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

G & M

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:28:09 pm »
Thanks guys.

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:44 pm »
If its just a basic voltage sensing relay you’re after, they are dead easy to fit,  a live wire from existing van battery to one side of relay, and a live and earth from the other side of relay to pump battery. The battery itself needs a separate wire to go direct to body earth to complate the circuit..  These chargers can be got for as little as £12from ebay. The company is called  Broccott. I have bought 2 from  Kevin.  Here is one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGIUS-SELF-SWITCHING-VOLTAGE-SENSING-SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30-AMP/142590508932?hash=item21330e7f84:g:l8AAAOSw~gRVkw0v    This is the one I bought. As said though, you need to check if compatible with stop start technology on new vans.
Cheers Rich

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »

I'm going to add to Cleanclears reply. The important issue is that some vans that have stop start technology may still work with a split charge relay or a voltage sensitive relay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterling-Power-12v-30amp-Battery-to-Battery-Charger-BB1230/252410937461?hash=item3ac4dd4075:g:iUoAAOSwyltZTR4-

If you contact this chap (I think his name is Mike) who runs simply split charge on Ebay he will help you. He isn't just a supplier that buys and sells what he thinks he can make money on. I've conversed with him and, in my opinion, he knows his product.

The only 'issue' is that you may have to identify a positive power source from the ignition that switches off with the key.

To add to Spruce comments, You will also need to check if the vehicle has the latest Euro 6 engine emission standards. This will only really effect very new registrations 2017 onward. A VSR (variable split relay)  will not work with Euro 6 standard. As I understand with Euro 6 the alternator will supply 14V + for only 20 seconds from ignition after 20 seconds the alternator output will fall below 11V a VSR will not operate at such low voltages. With Euro  it would have to be a B2B 

Also note that if self fitting onto a new vehicle the manufacturers warranty may be affected.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »

To add to Spruce comments, You will also need to check if the vehicle has the latest Euro 6 engine emission standards. This will only really effect very new registrations 2017 onward. A VSR (variable split relay)  will not work with Euro 6 standard. As I understand with Euro 6 the alternator will supply 14V + for only 20 seconds from ignition after 20 seconds the alternator output will fall below 11V a VSR will not operate at such low voltages. With Euro  it would have to be a B2B 

Also note that if self fitting onto a new vehicle the manufacturers warranty may be affected.

The manufacturers aren't very forth coming when it comes to how vehicles achieve these new emission standards. They don't seem to advertise if a van has regenerative braking or not. They will just say that their vans/vehicles meet Euro whatever.

The best way is to either phone the technical support dept of the motor manufacturer or buy one of the plug in digital volt meters - the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter. (I don't have too much faith in the manufacturers technical depts tbh. I phoned Citroens one in Coventry and asked if the new generation Citroen Relay vans after 2007 are galvanised . The person answering needed a reg or chassis number. I had a reg number from a van on Ebay and gave it to him. He looked and looked and then replied that he could see no mention in the specs of galvanising being fitted to that van. I rang off as I realised that it was pointless carrying on a conversation with an idiot. Actually, this was the second communication. I originally emailed the question; are Citroen Relays from 2007 galvanised dipped. We need a chassis number or reg number. After I provided that the answer came back that Citroen Relays did not have galvanised dipsticks.  ;D)

If the volt meter reads a steady 14 + volts if driving any distance then a SCR or VSR will probably work. But if the voltage drops as you have detailed and then jumps up when going downhill with your foot off the gas and in gear then that vehicle is fitted with regen braking and needs a B2B charger.

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:43 pm »

great  >:( picking my new van up tomorrow and purposely didn't get the stop start/ or any of this regen braking si i could fit a simple cheap split charge in it, but it is euro 6. Will something like this be what i will need then? http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_148_149&product_id=659

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:54:37 am »

great  >:( picking my new van up tomorrow and purposely didn't get the stop start/ or any of this regen braking si i could fit a simple cheap split charge in it, but it is euro 6. Will something like this be what i will need then? http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=80_148_149&product_id=659

Yes, but get one of those cheap plug in voltmeters and monitor your own alternator to identify if you have to spend the money or not on one.