Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Slacky

Had an accident yesterday.
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:54:30 am »
I clean the windows on a church hall here. Yesterday whilst I was approaching one of the windows I stepped on a two-part man-hole cover. It gave way and without any time at all I fell through in to the void below. Fortunately it wasn’t that deep, it was man hole for a water meter and not a deep sewerage one. Anyway, I thought I’d broken my leg, the bone between the knee and the hip because of the pain. I lay there, in shock I guess, for probably 10 minutes, before getting myself to my feet and realising that although I had’nt done anything too serious I was in a lot of pain and disbelief as well actually.

I figure what happened was that someone had come to read the water meter since I last cleaned there and hadn’t refitted the cover correctly, like I say it’s one of those two-part covers.

Woken up this morning and I feel like I’ve been run over by a bus.

I emailed the centre yesterday after finishing and invoicing them explaining what had happened just in case I was unable to work. I don’t feel like going in today, I could do with a bit of a rest up but think I’ll go and knock a couple of medium size commercials out to just keep moving and stop mulling.

Anyway, keep safe guys, if you fall in anyway it comes at you with NO warning whatsoever, you have no chance to stop yourself.

G Griffin

Re: Had an accident yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:49:58 am »
Hope it's not too bad, Matt
And take it easy today.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

duncan h

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:14 am »
20 years ago, I was a milk man.
I was working with my wife. I were in a old peoples block of bungalows/flats.
I was running back with both hands only a half crate full of milk and bottles. I manhole collapsed. It was a deep sewage one. I fell to the bottom with my arms and face just at ground level. Glass everywhere. I smashed my legs in etc.
I claimed off the council through a solicitor. Leeds council said it was water works responsibility. They said it was council. Solicitor sorted it. All I wanted was loss of pay while I paid someone else to do it. I claimed for my wife to do the job and my injuries. 
The lid was like thin tin.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:16:37 pm »
Maybe its time for a diet!    ;D ;D

Just joking.
What a nightmare, when we make sure that we are as safe as possible and safe working aware ofthe public and then something like this happens!   Glad nothings  broken, take it steady if possible as bad bruises and strains can also take a long time to fully heal
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

DeLuce

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:28:55 pm »
Hi  Slacky,
That's nasty, sorry to hear about that.  The horrible thing about surprise falls is how they can jolt the body coz you're not expecting it! Even if it's a step,never mind a hole!!!!
Do you think it's worth getting yourself checked over?
I hope you feel better soon.  Take it easy.
Nic.

EandM

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:04:14 pm »
 Nasty ! Hope you mend quickly.

Would the Church deem it an act of God ?

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:42 pm »
hope your feeling better matt?......i fell over a table and chairs a few years ago while looking up wfpoling.ended up with a few painfully bruised ribs.had to take a few weeks off...s**t happens.....

hopefully you ve not done too much damage mate....
price higher/work harder!

Steve Newres

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:40:55 pm »
Religion causes nothing but trouble.

Get well soon.

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:47:42 pm »
Well, work did me a favour today. After feeling like $hite this morning going to work helped, mentally and physically. Sitting still stagnates the mind and mood.

Thanks for the message guys.

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:52:22 pm »
My thoughts go out to those affected by the fall...................... ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:01 pm »
You still might be best getting checked out Matt , just to be on the safe side. Someone needs to be bollocked for that too as it could of been a kid falling into that

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »
You still might be best getting checked out Matt , just to be on the safe side. Someone needs to be bollocked for that too as it could of been a kid falling into that

It could easily have been a kid, they have nursery school there every day.

AuRavelling79

Re: Had an accident yesterday. New
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:20 pm »
Sorry to hear this Matt. get well soon.
It's a game of three halves!

lal

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:39:33 am »

Hope your ok Matt, mind yourself.