This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dry Clean

Re: Cleaning top of frames
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 03:58:35 pm »
I use cold water no additives an extreme brush with 2 jets and occasionally I let the tds go above zero, its not possible for me to
do a proper job with that combination so no point in worrying about a few weeks worth of dust on the top of a frame.

NWH

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 04:01:10 pm »
I do the tops as and when they need it or every other clean,it makes me laugh when I look at some places like blocks of flats near a road etc you can see where the WCs have never done the top frames ever.Its so noticeable the tops are almost black with soot and the sides are colegate white lol 😂

nathankaye

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 04:06:49 pm »
I do understand the mixed and varied views on here. But to say that ones who dont clean an already clean top frame is not being professional....... I dont understand that view point
Or how cleaning an already clean top frame makes us viewed as skilled compared to unskilled.

Haha it reminds me of a customers who had a pop at me back when trad cleaning. I went to collect on a customer in evening who accused me of not cleaning his windows because of a dirty frame.  I Reminded him that as we agreed I would clean his windows for X amount and when he wanted the frames doing to let me know and the fee is doubled.
After that, the next 2 cleans I just cleaned the frames only and not the glass! He paid me just the same because in his head, a shiny white frame also means clean windows and they certainly needed cleaning  by the 3rd visit.     ::)roll
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
I do understand the mixed and varied views on here. But to say that ones who dont clean an already clean top frame is not being professional....... I dont understand that view point
Or how cleaning an already clean top frame makes us viewed as skilled compared to unskilled.

Haha it reminds me of a customers who had a pop at me back when trad cleaning. I went to collect on a customer in evening who accused me of not cleaning his windows because of a dirty frame.  I Reminded him that as we agreed I would clean his windows for X amount and when he wanted the frames doing to let me know and the fee is doubled.
After that, the next 2 cleans I just cleaned the frames only and not the glass! He paid me just the same because in his head, a shiny white frame also means clean windows and they certainly needed cleaning  by the 3rd visit.     ::)roll

If you took your car to the car wash and the roof and bonnet weren’t washed Ime sure you would complain and say that you had paid to have the whole car washed not just the doors and boot , by the same principal most cleaners claim to do the frames as well so if you dont do the tops weather they look dirty or not the job that you are charging the customer for hasent been done , let’s face it generally the window glass isn’t usually that bad on a 4 weekly clean but you clean the glass , so why not the frames to in fact I think it’s easier to do the lot rather than try and keep the water off the top but there you go what would I know only been doing it 20 years 😂😂😂😂😂😂

dazmond

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 04:40:21 pm »
missing the odd top frame doesnt make you a crap window cleaner!i do clean most top frames(doors and sills as well)but some are best avoided.
price higher/work harder!

jonny thompson

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2018, 05:46:59 pm »
If a top frame leaves  water lines , marks , etc on the glass regardless of how often or who cleans it then in my view you stay clear of frame, anyone who says they haven’t got certain windows like this must be either not checking their work or have a tiny round

NWH

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2018, 05:59:50 pm »
That’s spot on I clean some and regardless of cleaning the whole frame and window everytime they still leave marks,once  I’ve got a window to a standard I just maintain the whole window.

chopsie

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2018, 07:39:18 pm »
well...........thats cleared that one up.........glad i asked lol  :P
chopsie

Steve Newres

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
But if you clean the top frame with problem rubbers you have a chance of leaving windows with water lines on and bleeding frames, so your not actually doing  the job properly, clean glass or clean top frame, yes you get both on most windows but not all like your suggesting

If you take your time on the first clean and I accept it does take twice as long you won’t have any problems we do every property the same way domestic and commercial and believe me we do some seriously large commercial buildings and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many problems we have had in 19 years : it’s all about technique and how you do the clean , some rubbers are more prone to bleeding than others but the rubber is behind the frame how on earth can that affect the glass as the water will run down the side of the window you can get track lines from vents directly above a pain of glass but again we flush all vents on the first clean being careful not to flood water inside the house again after a thourogh first Clean never get any issues this was how I was taught to do it and have always done this way of cleaning and very rarely get a problem so it does work , but as I say everyone to there own way of doing it I think this is why we are picking up so much new work as most of our new customers are complaining about their current window cleaner doing a poor job frames not cleaned properly run marks spots etc , I don’t care how anyone cleans there customers windows : all I was trying to do was share my experience as to how to avoid the issues that continue to be brought up on hear this way of cleaning does work there are so many so called window cleaners who have no idear how to clean a window they think it’s easy money squirt a bit of water around and then wonder why there’s issues , it’s not rocket science to do this job anyone can do it but like all things so ways work and some will cause you problems , if you do t clean the top of 5he frame each time the dirt up there is minimal I accept but when rain Water runs off the frame onto the glass it will take the dirt with it leaving spotting and track lines , so for 3 seconds per window why would you not clean it each time?.

Unless the frames are flush with the walls which is seldom the case then rain water isnt going to get anywhere near the top of the frame, I have vents that you could empty your tank cleaning and they will still leave runs and spotting, technique will only take you so far but a quality shiner will also know when its best not to put water on a top frame.
I have to agree with this. I clean the top frame of every window without vents (except poorly painted wood) but will clean those with vents on a case by case basis. 

P @ F

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2018, 08:46:23 pm »
I would just be aware that in your marketing material, if you say you clean all the frames not just the glass, that you actually clean all the frames not just parts of it.

Just as well that i am not like all these other cowboys on here , or i would be proper fecked  ;D ;D ;D

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

DeLuce

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 09:24:29 pm »
I think what really helps set-up for future cleans is a good solid first clean, like Smudger said in an earlier post.
Whenever I get a new customer, I charge more for the first clean and dose up the frames with Virosol. Give em  a thorough scrub, Rinse off.. It also helps get rid of oxidised rubber seals that would leach drips after departure.
There will always be a rogue window(s) or so on your round that you'll need to come back to after doing the rest. Just make a mental note.