This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: Cleaning top of frames
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:06:03 pm »
Its an Old wives tales about the top frame  ;D ;D

Some might need to call in a pro window cleaner in to help show how it's done haha  ;D
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Splash & dash

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 05:29:53 pm »
Surely those who clean the top frame every time must get water run marks with the old style rubber seals?

No if you do the job properly it’s not an issue

Stoots

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 06:56:09 pm »
Very rarely clean top frames, only if they look dirty and even then on lower windows just use a dry cloth.

Upstairs can leave longer as they take months to look even slightly dirty.

Like you I'm paranoid they will run and leave a mess.

But then I back and forth windows to allow to allow the middle frames to drip a little as well.

Splash & dash

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:54 pm »
I am beginning to see now that there is clearly a need for a training program how to clean windows properly as it seams that everyone does things so differently, my customers certainly would be complaining if we didn’t do the whole window frame each time , and I don’t think all my customers are that persnickety, surely we are all claiming to be window cleaners so we should be giving the customer value for money doing what they are paying us to do , I charge to clean the whole window and that’s what we do , how do ones charge for a service and only do a part of the window and expect the customer to be happy and pay ? I think this is possibly why we are picking up so much work as many people are doing such a poor job, it takes seconds to do the top of the frames so why would we not do them ??

P @ F

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »
^^^ Exactly , if they are done every time you wont have the problem end of , it takes seconds to go left and right twice over the top frame / vent per window , why are you guys not doing it ???
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:35 pm »
I am beginning to see now that there is clearly a need for a training program how to clean windows properly as it seams that everyone does things so differently, my customers certainly would be complaining if we didn’t do the whole window frame each time , and I don’t think all my customers are that persnickety, surely we are all claiming to be window cleaners so we should be giving the customer value for money doing what they are paying us to do , I charge to clean the whole window and that’s what we do , how do ones charge for a service and only do a part of the window and expect the customer to be happy and pay ? I think this is possibly why we are picking up so much work as many people are doing such a poor job, it takes seconds to do the top of the frames so why would we not do them ??

Great post. Totally agree.

So when it rains does that cause runs as well?  Nope !

Just avoid being slap happy careless on top frames.  Don't get scrubbing the brick or masonary work that connects the top frame to the building.  Just take care and use precision.  That may be the issue for some. 
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »
I dont get it so much now , but a while ago i used to be told by many new custies that the last cleaner charged extra to do the frames , i mean what the feck is that all about , if you go down to wickes and ask for a window you get glass and a frame !

I am glad that there are still Dick Turpin school of cleaning pupils out there though , makes my life easier  ;D

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 08:01:04 pm »
From now on while out and about cleaning...  if i spot a house with clean windows and a dirty top frame I'm going to knock on the door and point it out to them. 

And I won't feel guilty if I win a new job.  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:41 pm »
I wouldnt do that mate , by the looks of it you will be spending more time knocking than cleaning with all the John Wayne wannabees on ere  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jonny thompson

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:53 pm »
Ok , I cleaned top frames and gave rubber seals a good scrum , these windows With big rubber seals I would usually avoid touching top frame of, out come water line marks not drying clear coming from rubber seal, you lot who scrum frame on every window must be leaving these marks?

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »
There's alotof silly nonsense talk on this thread, especially saying how skipping on top frame is poor workmanship and how someones customer would complain if they themselves missed the top frame. What a load of ollocks.

My work is cleaned on a 4week rotation and for arguement sake I have done a video showing how clean my windows and yes how clean my frames are.  Therefore I dont need to clean the top frame or even the frame on every visit when they pay me to clean their glass window! Because of this they may be cleaned every 8 weeks instead and the only exception to this are my houses out in the sticks where the frames do in deed  need cleaning every visit. This is simply common sense.

In the past when I was trad cleaning, I gave my customers 2 prices. One for the windows to be cleaned and a double price for the frames to be cleaned as well. This made business sense, as it took longer to clean frames trad way and windows and it made money. Thats what running  a  business is all about, making money.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 03:23:55 pm »
I never put water above vents or on top frames with vertical openers below, I also understand what Jonny is talking about, if you run a damp microfiber along those old type black seals it will end up filthy no matter how many times you clean it therefore any
water left sitting on them might run the crud down onto the glass, I say might because sometimes they will leave spotting/runs
and other times they don't.
A quick wipe with a damp microfiber attached to a fixi clamp on a pole every third clean keeps the top of the frames more than clean enough to keep my customers happy.

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »
There's alotof silly nonsense talk on this thread, especially saying how skipping on top frame is poor workmanship and how someones customer would complain if they themselves missed the top frame. What a load of ollocks.

My work is cleaned on a 4week rotation and for arguement sake I have done a video showing how clean my windows and yes how clean my frames are.  Therefore I dont need to clean the top frame or even the frame on every visit when they pay me to clean their glass window! Because of this they may be cleaned every 8 weeks instead and the only exception to this are my houses out in the sticks where the frames do in deed  need cleaning every visit. This is simply common sense.

In the past when I was trad cleaning, I gave my customers 2 prices. One for the windows to be cleaned and a double price for the frames to be cleaned as well. This made business sense, as it took longer to clean frames trad way and windows and it made money. Thats what running  a  business is all about, making money.

I agree.

I clean top frames if they look dirty

Why? Because it's quicker not to clean them if they don't need doing.

Why would you clean something that's not visibly dirty?

I do a fantastic job and my customers are very happy with my work.

But I will add that I couldn't give a flying monkeys wotsits what anyone on a forum thinks either  ;D I clean in what I think to be the most efficient and fastest way to produce an acceptable standard of clean.

Splash & dash

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 06:51:36 pm »

So you take your car in for a service what do you expect the garage to do ? We checked the front brakes sir but didn’t bother to look at the back there ok ????  As window cleaners we are paid by the customer to clean there windows , not just the glass not just the part of the frame that we think needs cleaning but all of it , that’s what we charge for and that’s what my customers expect and get on every clean , it takes seconds to do the top of the frame , 2,3,4 5,6 Floors up you cannot see that well what’s up there if it’s been cleaned you know there won’t be a problem , this is exactly why so many questions are puting up on hear questions about track lines spots etc as people are not doing the job properly , we all get an occasional complaint or a problem window but this is the method of how to clean you will be taught if you go on a course  it’s taught that way for a reason beacause it works end Off but it’s up to you how you choose to work but if offering a professional service please do the job correctly

jonny thompson

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 07:12:39 pm »
But if you clean the top frame with problem rubbers you have a chance of leaving windows with water lines on and bleeding frames, so your not actually doing  the job properly, clean glass or clean top frame, yes you get both on most windows but not all like your suggesting

Splash & dash

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 07:35:21 pm »
But if you clean the top frame with problem rubbers you have a chance of leaving windows with water lines on and bleeding frames, so your not actually doing  the job properly, clean glass or clean top frame, yes you get both on most windows but not all like your suggesting

If you take your time on the first clean and I accept it does take twice as long you won’t have any problems we do every property the same way domestic and commercial and believe me we do some seriously large commercial buildings and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many problems we have had in 19 years : it’s all about technique and how you do the clean , some rubbers are more prone to bleeding than others but the rubber is behind the frame how on earth can that affect the glass as the water will run down the side of the window you can get track lines from vents directly above a pain of glass but again we flush all vents on the first clean being careful not to flood water inside the house again after a thourogh first Clean never get any issues this was how I was taught to do it and have always done this way of cleaning and very rarely get a problem so it does work , but as I say everyone to there own way of doing it I think this is why we are picking up so much new work as most of our new customers are complaining about their current window cleaner doing a poor job frames not cleaned properly run marks spots etc , I don’t care how anyone cleans there customers windows : all I was trying to do was share my experience as to how to avoid the issues that continue to be brought up on hear this way of cleaning does work there are so many so called window cleaners who have no idear how to clean a window they think it’s easy money squirt a bit of water around and then wonder why there’s issues , it’s not rocket science to do this job anyone can do it but like all things so ways work and some will cause you problems , if you do t clean the top of 5he frame each time the dirt up there is minimal I accept but when rain Water runs off the frame onto the glass it will take the dirt with it leaving spotting and track lines , so for 3 seconds per window why would you not clean it each time?.

Dry Clean

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:42 pm »

If you take your time on the first clean and I accept it does take twice as long you won’t have any problems we do every property the same way domestic and commercial and believe me we do some seriously large commercial buildings and I can count on the fingers of one hand how many problems we have had in 19 years : it’s all about technique and how you do the clean , some rubbers are more prone to bleeding than others but the rubber is behind the frame how on earth can that affect the glass as the water will run down the side of the window you can get track lines from vents directly above a pain of glass but again we flush all vents on the first clean being careful not to flood water inside the house again after a thourogh first Clean never get any issues this was how I was taught to do it and have always done this way of cleaning and very rarely get a problem so it does work , but as I say everyone to there own way of doing it I think this is why we are picking up so much new work as most of our new customers are complaining about their current window cleaner doing a poor job frames not cleaned properly run marks spots etc , I don’t care how anyone cleans there customers windows : all I was trying to do was share my experience as to how to avoid the issues that continue to be brought up on hear this way of cleaning does work there are so many so called window cleaners who have no idear how to clean a window they think it’s easy money squirt a bit of water around and then wonder why there’s issues , it’s not rocket science to do this job anyone can do it but like all things so ways work and some will cause you problems , if you do t clean the top of 5he frame each time the dirt up there is minimal I accept but when rain Water runs off the frame onto the glass it will take the dirt with it leaving spotting and track lines , so for 3 seconds per window why would you not clean it each time?.

Unless the frames are flush with the walls which is seldom the case then rain water isnt going to get anywhere near the top of the frame, I have vents that you could empty your tank cleaning and they will still leave runs and spotting, technique will only take you so far but a quality shiner will also know when its best not to put water on a top frame.

jonny thompson

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »
I agree after years of using wfp it’s a case of knowing which rubbers will leave marks,maybe I will have a go at scrubbing the rubber seals and top frames leaving droplets of water to run and see how they dry

Dry Clean

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23:54 pm »
I agree after years of using wfp it’s a case of knowing which rubbers will leave marks,maybe I will have a go at scrubbing the rubber seals and top frames leaving droplets of water to run and see how they dry

If your having problems with rubber seals then scrubbing them wont make a difference, I have a patio door on my own property
that will leave spots and run if you put water on the frame above it, believe me its nothing to do with the lack of scrubbing,  some say if you clean dodgy seals with Virosol it helps but Iv never tried it.

jonny thompson

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »
Agree it’s back to  cleaning the glass and making sure no water droplets left to run from seals