Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mufcglen

gardiner slx pole material question
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:57 pm »
have they changed the slx construction material, ive always had the usual black hand but this new pole seems to be leaving a black stain that i cant get off like usual an really feels prickly like its giving fibres or something??

Cookie

Re: gardiner slx pole material question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:04:05 pm »
I suggest you give Gardiner's a call & ask them.

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:39:48 pm »
You sure its not a CLX painted black ?
That would account for the prickley bit .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
Funny! When I used an SL-X all day for two years any black that got on my hands washed off easily.  However, since switching to an Xtreme pole last Dec the black doesn’t wash off, even with a scrubbing brush.  Come on Alex, what’s the intel?
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Nick Day

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »
The prickly feel sounds like they have altered the tension on the tape winding machine, this would probably also account for the staining.

britishwill

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
We were just talking about that today. All 3 of us agree.
I went on holiday for two weeks this year and after a week I finally got rid of the black index finger!

Nick Day

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »
To get rid of the prickly feeling, get a piece of dry green kitchen scouring pad and give the pole a rub over with it. Carbon fibre responds well to sanding, and this usually solves it. it sounds as though they have eliminated the final sanding process as well.

Nick Day

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:56 pm »
Another tip for you, carbon fibre and polyurethane are a match made in heaven. To totally eliminate the black discharge, coat your pole with it. Try it on and old pole. It will extend the life of a pole by years. You can repeat coating as often as you like.

p1w1

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:10:53 pm »
Another tip for you, carbon fibre and polyurethane are a match made in heaven. To totally eliminate the black discharge, coat your pole with it. Try it on and old pole. It will extend the life of a pole by years. You can repeat coating as often as you like.
interesting.. any particular product you recommend? i'm presuming spray can is better.

mufcglen

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
Thanks guys, like one of the comments above with my pole I bought last year to this one I’ve just bought a month ago I could wash the black staining off my hand no probs, now it’s really stained I’ve had the wife going over it with nail polish remover then tried my upvc solvent remover as it’s stronger stuff and it aint coming off lol
Doesn’t Alex Gardiner come on here still??

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:22:31 pm »
So you have 2 poles , 1 bought a year ago with no staining or very little .
                                              1 bought a month ago  ......horrid black hands . ?

It must be a freak occurance or others would be affected surely ?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:45 am »
Thanks guys, like one of the comments above with my pole I bought last year to this one I’ve just bought a month ago I could wash the black staining off my hand no probs, now it’s really stained I’ve had the wife going over it with nail polish remover then tried my upvc solvent remover as it’s stronger stuff and it aint coming off lol
Doesn’t Alex Gardiner come on here still??

I do  :)

There has been no change at all to the construction methods or materials in the SLX range. So your issue is puzzling - to really look into this I would need the pole returning to us for inspection in the workshop as we have not had a complaint of this nature previously. Could you ring up Customer Services on 01726 66400 and we can start a Returns process for you.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 07:55:40 am »
i bought a new SLX a few months ago and its exactly like my other ones.smooth ,no splinter bits etc but itll still give me black hands (but it comes off with a scrubbing brush)
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 08:13:38 am »
Oddly I've never had black hands from using my slx which I've had over 2 years.

Must be something different with batches? Unless some guys have toxic sweaty hands?

Jonny 87

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:47:56 am »
Never have a problem.

I always wear gloves.

8)

Even in summer I wear the black disposable "tattoo" style gloves.

Our hose runs through EVERYTHING! I'd never want my hands touching that.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:50 am »
Never have a problem.

I always wear gloves.

8)

Even in summer I wear the black disposable "tattoo" style gloves.

Our hose runs through EVERYTHING! I'd never want my hands touching that.

Agree 100%

Even before using carbon fibre poles, in the bad old days of fibre glass poles - I used disposable Nitrile gloves.

I found several benefits - stopped my hands drying out, gave a measure of protection, but the main benefit was hygiene - hoses are pretty mucky things and it meant I could peel off the gloves deal with clients paying etc. without worrying about the state of my hands.

Of course with the introduction of carbon fibre poles as everyday poles it also meant I never had to think about black carbon dust.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:54 am »
Whilst the idea of wearing nitrile gloves is a good one I cannot stand wearing them. I’ve tried but find it an absolute pain. My hands end up looking like prunes. When I take them off I can’t get them back on again till my hands have dried out. They get caught in the sections of the pole as I’m sliding them in and out, caught on the clamps etc. So, though I have a box in the car, I rarely use them. Just wash my hands several times a day. I keep a bottle of antibacterial soap in the car and of course I’ve always got plenty of water.
Every few days I remove the black stains on my fingers with a pumice stone. I’m careful not to overdo it as I don’t want sore hands. So far all’s well.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

mufcglen

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 01:11:29 pm »
Thanks for replying Alex, I wouldn’t be able to send back as it’s my every day pole, I sell my old poles and renew every year and done fancy using my slx39 while I’m waiting!
Just to be clear though it’s not actually splintering by looks of it but it’s giving something prickly on my skin, the black I’ve always had and just consider it part of owning a carbon pole and usually just washes off but this pole it’s really stubborn and won’t come off my hand😂
Think I might have to look at using gloves maybe but here’s a photo of my hand after scrubbing with fairy and a rough sponge then solvent remover and nothing is touching it, about a month or 2 old this pole

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 03:53:43 pm »
Personally , i would be splitting down the slx you have to a usable size and sending the other back to Alex , im sure it would be a quick turn around as your hand is not quite right mate , i have seen blackhand many times but yours is bordering on black death !

P @ F

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 04:04:09 pm »
Do you maintain the poles with ptfe spray ?
That is a massive help in itself , i have just done 10-2 non stop and aint got a bit of black on me , no gloves worn ever , and i got the pole in March 2016