This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sunshine windows

Overpricing
« on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:13 am »
Do you ever deliberately put in ridiculously high prices because you just can't be arsed with certain jobs.

I can't stand cleaning internals, whether it's on domestic or commercial, so always price high.

I have some very well paid work off the back of this, but still don't enjoy cleaning them 😩
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Smudger

Re: Overpricing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:08 am »
Yep - and still they come in  ;D

Just send the boys out to clean anything I hate doing  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Dick

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:29:12 am »
Yes, recently put in a price for facia/gutter clean which was pretty black, started to write price on business card and decided I didn't really want to do so increased it, so far so good haven't heard from them.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
It seems comon practice for most to put in silly high prices on jobs you don't really want to do then hope prospects don't say yes.
Needles to say it's also common to win work like that you don't really want but at least the price being high makes the hassle worth your while . However after saying that their is nothing worse than undercharging on jobs as most will hate doing them for the reward so can easily end up running  around like a headless chicken?

As the saying goes "work smarter not harder" as you can pick and choose.

Tom-01

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:19 pm »
I prefer to overprice jobs I do want to do - it makes my job a lot more enjoyable.

But I know what you mean. I've got some ridiculous jobs I the past that I never thought I'd get.

Talking of pricing I've got an existing customer who I've cleaned for about 3 years, he has just bought a brand new, massive house. It's got lots of Georgian sash windows, two glass roofs (I know NWH would have a field day with them) and a load of balustrade glass. High roof dormers etc etc.  So I quoted him a 8 weekly price. Heard nothing for a few weeks and got a text earlier saying he's had a quote for £90 LESS per clean and if I can match it the job is mine. I politely declined and explained my reasons and he said he will think about it and come back to me. A while ago I would have lowered my price etc and tried to keep it, but they're just not worth it.

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »
I prefer to overprice jobs I do want to do - it makes my job a lot more enjoyable.

But I know what you mean. I've got some ridiculous jobs I the past that I never thought I'd get.

Talking of pricing I've got an existing customer who I've cleaned for about 3 years, he has just bought a brand new, massive house. It's got lots of Georgian sash windows, two glass roofs (I know NWH would have a field day with them) and a load of balustrade glass. High roof dormers etc etc.  So I quoted him a 8 weekly price. Heard nothing for a few weeks and got a text earlier saying he's had a quote for £90 LESS per clean and if I can match it the job is mine. I politely declined and explained my reasons and he said he will think about it and come back to me. A while ago I would have lowered my price etc and tried to keep it, but they're just not worth it.

Exactly bud.... Stick to your price to make it worth your while or don't bother doing it at all I say.
I've had people come back to me weeks after giving a high price so obviously having a good reputation counts too.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »
If you mean I'd have a field day with them are you referring to me saying I'd do the odd roof for free,let's get something straight the reason some of my very very affluent customers get the odd freebie is because I am getting very good price already for what I'm doing there that particular day. If I am getting in excess of £100 an hour why wouldn't I do the odd bit  of glass on the roof for free or unblock the odd downspout why I'm up there,yeah I could say that'll be £500 for 4 hours work please oh and don't forget the £300 for the dozen or so panes of glass on that little roof I've just cleaned in an hour or so,I don't think so sometimes you've got to give a little to get a lot.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:48:48 pm »

I quoted him an 8weekly price lol oh my lord oh I would love to compare some of my domestics with some on here.

8weekly

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 04:08:30 pm »

The thing with jobs like this is that the only difference between the quotes is the other guy will work for less money. He'll probably do just as good a job. Maybe even better.  We've got a carpenter coming to fit a front door. He reckons it'll take him a day. £180 labour. I wouldn't get out of bed for that.

Tom-01

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 04:14:26 pm »

I quoted him an 8weekly price lol oh my lord oh I would love to compare some of my domestics with some on here.

Whats so 'lol' about quoting him my 8 weekly price? Compare away mate. We've got a £12 8 weekly bungalow ranging up to  a £270 4 weekly house. What matters is they are customers I choose to work for these days, they pay on time, and that we're busy every day.

Tom-01

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

The thing with jobs like this is that the only difference between the quotes is the other guy will work for less money. He'll probably do just as good a job. Maybe even better.  We've got a carpenter coming to fit a front door. He reckons it'll take him a day. £180 labour. I wouldn't get out of bed for that.

Normally I'd agree with you 8 weekly. However this particular house is worth just under £4m, my quote was £135, and it wasn't overpriced as he's been a good customer for 3 years and its just down the road from a block of flats we do. The amount of glass there to clean for £45 is ridiculous. I agree re the carpenter.

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:22:43 pm »

Normally I'd agree with you 8 weekly. However this particular house is worth just under £4m, my quote was £135, and it wasn't overpriced as he's been a good customer for 3 years and its just down the road from a block of flats we do. The amount of glass there to clean for £45 is ridiculous. I agree re the carpenter.
Oh. That's insanity. I assumed £300 v £210 sort of figures.

Tom-01

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:23:29 pm »
If you mean I'd have a field day with them are you referring to me saying I'd do the odd roof for free,let's get something straight the reason some of my very very affluent customers get the odd freebie is because I am getting very good price already for what I'm doing there that particular day. If I am getting in excess of £100 an hour why wouldn't I do the odd bit  of glass on the roof for free or unblock the odd downspout why I'm up there,yeah I could say that'll be £500 for 4 hours work please oh and don't forget the £300 for the dozen or so panes of glass on that little roof I've just cleaned in an hour or so,I don't think so sometimes you've got to give a little to get a lot.

Because you could be on excess of £130 per hour perhaps?

The reason your very very affluent customers are very very affluent is probably because they don't and have never done anything for free, so they wouldn't bat an eyelid at paying extra to have a glass roof cleaned.

andyM

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:25:58 pm »

The thing with jobs like this is that the only difference between the quotes is the other guy will work for less money. He'll probably do just as good a job. Maybe even better. We've got a carpenter coming to fit a front door. He reckons it'll take him a day. £180 labour. I wouldn't get out of bed for that.

If your anywhere near London the chippy is quoting well under price.
Should be more like £300+ per day.
One of the Plebs

Tom-01

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

Yeah exactly. I should have said the price.

He text me saying 'its a competitive market here I've had someone knock on the door...', to which I replied 'I wouldn't say it's competitive necessarily, there's a few very cheap window cleaners out there............... if you're looking to save money on maintaining such a nice house we wouldn't be in a position to take on the work' then I thanked him for his business in the past bla bla.

8weekly

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

The thing with jobs like this is that the only difference between the quotes is the other guy will work for less money. He'll probably do just as good a job. Maybe even better. We've got a carpenter coming to fit a front door. He reckons it'll take him a day. £180 labour. I wouldn't get out of bed for that.

If your anywhere near London the chippy is quoting well under price.
Should be more like £300+ per day.
Newbury.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »
Do you ever deliberately put in ridiculously high prices because you just can't be arsed with certain jobs.

I can't stand cleaning internals, whether it's on domestic or commercial, so always price high.

I have some very well paid work off the back of this, but still don't enjoy cleaning them 😩

I don't need to. I either give them someone else's number or tell them over the phone i am not interested  ;D ;D

8weekly

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:20 pm »

He text me saying 'its a competitive market here I've had someone knock on the door...', to which I replied 'I wouldn't say it's competitive necessarily, there's a few very cheap window cleaners out there............... if you're looking to save money on maintaining such a nice house we wouldn't be in a position to take on the work' then I thanked him for his business in the past bla bla.
A while back Matt posted a response to something like this. I can't remember the exact wording, but I liked it. Something like, "he will only be able to do it for that price by being really fast and cutting corners". I would think with that sort of price difference the guy would see that immediately. Tbh, it would have been a much more like to succeed response than yours.

Tom-01

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 04:37:25 pm »

A while back Matt posted a response to something like this. I can't remember the exact wording, but I liked it. Something like, "he will only be able to do it for that price by being really fast and cutting corners". I would think with that sort of price difference the guy would see that immediately. Tbh, it would have been a much more like to succeed response than yours.

I did say a bit more which made him think but couldn't be bothered to type it all! Reminded him of how reliable and trustworthy we have been over the last 3 weeks etc and I would wonder how a job like that could be done so cheap.. He said he will come back to me so we will see...

Micky Barber

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 04:40:22 pm »
I'll be over pricing con roofs and fascias from now on don't wan em!