This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SeanK

Re: Overpricing
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 08:26:22 am »
Did someone say they wouldn't get out of bed for 180 a day!

Just goes to show one man's cheap is another's expensive.

Not bad living down south then eh

Adam the average UK wage is around £26k a year even thought over 70% of the population don't get anywhere near it
including those that live in the south.
That's why I take comments like that with a pinch of salt, that said we should all be trying for the best price possible
in the areas we work its just common sense.

SeanK

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 08:40:31 am »

london,wimbledon,surrey etc is very expensive.£180 a day is like earning £80-£100 a day up north.my brother rented a house in wimbledon for £1800 a month for years! ::)roll.my rent is £300 a month so he was spending an extra 18k a year on rent!plus an absolute nightmare to park your car!

he s now bought an end terraced house with his missus in surrey for .........wait for it............£370,000!!! :o

i can fully understand window cleaners charging a lot more down south.its house prices/rent thats crippling mainly.

The thing is a lot of jobs in the public and private sector get paid the same in the south as they would in the north and you with a £300 a month rent bill are going to be in a lot better position to take on a window cleaner and  pay a bit more than somebody forking out £1800 a month in the south.
Even in the north there will be properties in affluent areas that will pay more for a trustable service the thing is they are always
the first places to be targeted making it very hard for a newbie to get a slice of the cake.
Its not hard to pick holes in these willy waving posts.

Smudger

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 10:18:02 am »
I didn't see this as a willy waving thread/post, sometimes figures are required to quantify a position or point, it's upto you if you believe what is typed.

But agree, London/south/commuter belts are so high priced with large mortgages I'm surprised they can afford food never mind a windy, where areas up north still get good wages with low mortgages so have more to spend on luxuries like window cleaning.
( yes I'm aware there are also vast deprived areas where life is difficault )

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 10:28:34 am »

Thats very true actually mate. We had Location Location Location on last night (I wanted to watch Last of the Mohicans but never mind). A 4 bed house in a nice street in Nottingham was £170k. A two bedroom flat beneath us just sold for £350k. No garden, and space for one car. The other flat with a horrible old kitchen and a tiny bit of garden is renting for £2k a month - it wasn't even on the market 3 days! So prices here are reflected on the area.

Saying that £180 a day labour is £900 a week, if he's not buying materials out of that and that is his wage its not horrendous by any means, as long as he is busy every day.
A month ago they had a bungalow on there I do its on the market for 1.4 million,a complete joke house prices down here rents down here for a half decent place would be north of 1250 a month before you put the kettle on.

SeanK

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 11:05:35 am »
I didn't see this as a willy waving thread/post, sometimes figures are required to quantify a position or point, it's upto you if you believe what is typed.

But agree, London/south/commuter belts are so high priced with large mortgages I'm surprised they can afford food never mind a windy, where areas up north still get good wages with low mortgages so have more to spend on luxuries like window cleaning.
( yes I'm aware there are also vast deprived areas where life is difficault )

Darran

Agreed, the thread itself is a very good discussion point and has nothing to do with willy waving, but as with all these type
of threads there will be some who will use it as a way of pointing out how good they think they are, I just like winding them up
a little. ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 11:19:05 am »
Had s chap from kempsford call me earlier for a quote on a 4 bed detached, for windows, gutter and fascias.

When I told him the price he said oh it's not just an hours work then  ::)roll

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 11:53:56 am »
Had s chap from kempsford call me earlier for a quote on a 4 bed detached, for windows, gutter and fascias.

When I told him the price he said oh it's not just an hours work then  ::)roll

Some people have no idea do they  ;D

Lance did you get a call earlier from a lady in wroughton wanting a 4 weekly window clean as I gave her you name?
I have no idea of the property size as did not bother asking. If it happens to be a mansion and you get it I will be kicking myself :D

sunshine windows

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:12 am »
I did mate thanks. It's just round the corner from where Louis lives do very handy. 👍

They're pretty big houses down that road  ;D
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

sunshine windows

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:03 pm »
I'll bring you some cheesecake Monday to say thanks  ;D
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

Smurf

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2016, 12:02:13 pm »
I'll bring you some cheesecake Monday to say thanks  ;D

;D

Smurf

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2016, 05:11:22 pm »
I've just sent an invoice  for a gutter clearing job and now the owner wants me to spring clean the exterior of that waterside property I was on about including render walls, wood cladding, decking, windows,  wooden foot bridge over the stream and path to the front door.

To be honest I have no idea where to start pricing that lot up but somehow I have a feeling  it's not going to be cheap. lol

sunshine windows

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2016, 06:14:24 pm »
Just put a price in for £500 to clean a conservatory and house windows  ;D

Hoping to god i don't get it, as it'll be the most awkward conservatory i'll have cleaned to date.
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

Smurf

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »

Hoping to god i don't get it, as it'll be the most awkward conservatory i'll have cleaned to date.

Got any pics we can see ? I bet they say YES now ;D

Smudger

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2016, 05:10:37 pm »

You have it wrong, you charge for the Windows and do the roof for free... (LOL 🍾🍻🍺💩💤💤)
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »
I did a quote a while back that I did not really want to do so put in a silly high price. However the chap being a barter type knocked me down in price which stupidly I agreed. Doh!

Anyway to cut a long story short my get out after realising I had been stitched up big-time  I said to him whilst I was still on the quote "I will look at my diary and give you a call to book the work in" but never did  ;D

8weekly

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 05:30:08 pm »

You have it wrong, you charge for the Windows and do the roof for free... (LOL 🍾🍻🍺💩💤💤)
There's another one that does the insides free.  ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2016, 10:34:40 pm »
No pics, but I will certainly take some if I get the job.

(Swindon, Wiltshire)

Smurf

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2016, 11:09:11 pm »
You need to start using that sj4000 camera Lance on quotes...Just mount it on a wfp hit the record button and away you go. 

That way you have a permanent record of each job you quote and can save it to a pc and review it at any time.
If like me your memory is shot it's easy to see what needs to be done and can also highlight any issues, access etc.
Once you have the vid saved then can take still images from the vid too.

Here is an example of what I mean as this conny roof in question has a number of issues to overcome. From clearing out all the guttering on 4 sides first then being able to get to clean all parts of the roof too including you guessed it that so say self cleaning glass all going green. 

Unfortunately access to work from the flat roof is not an option either as next door is a terraced house with no back access and that fence runs all down that side. Also before someone metions it I would not fit through that window opening either above the flat roof nor go clambering over that pitched roof to get to it...Sod that  ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »
Reply from the quote

Hi Lance

Thanks for getting back to me.  Obviously £500 is a lot of money so I’ll have a think and get back to you if I want to proceed.

Thanks again
Kind regards
Tracey

Oh bugger! It's not a definite no then  :-\

(Swindon, Wiltshire)

sunshine windows

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
I completely get what you're saying Alan, but I just can't be bothered faffing around recording everything and saving it to PC or phone. I do log most quotes on CleanerPlanner for price references
(Swindon, Wiltshire)