This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrissyman

Re: 21 lpm jetmac pressure washer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:18 pm »
Cheers for reply mate.  Pulling it out?  As in moving revs lever to the left?
On the Honda machine the rev lever is pulled towards you to increase !

Ashamed to admit....but was at it a good five minutes trying to pull it towards me after reading the post lol.  Thought thats what i must be missing.  Penny dropped eventually that it might have been a different engine.  Cheers for the help tho mate.

Smurf

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 11:45:27 pm »
On my loncin like my  honda driven pressure washers I start them on full revs and if cold from a cold start on full choke too.
Also when trying to start either washer I pull the trigger on the lance/flat surface cleaner aswell.
Once running I take the choke off and reduce the revs so the pump starts to prime from the holding tank whilst still holding in the trigger.
Once primed I then put the revs up again to the working pressure I want to use.
If the revs are too low the engine will cut out when I let go of the trigger which is probably something to do with the pump back pressure

I'm no expert but that is how I've always started my pressure washers no probs.

Smurf

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »
The washer that you brought comes with a 2 year guarantee so best you don't go stripping it down and phone jectmac if you are still having issues with it.

Smurf

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:59 am »
Did you get the belt driven one as they are supposed to be better than direct driven, gearbox & pump as is someting to do with the reduction of revs, transfer of heat & vibration so the pump last longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLjUq3xgP6s

Ben Marriott

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:07 am »
Did you get the belt driven one as they are supposed to be better than direct driven, gearbox & pump as is someting to do with the reduction of revs, transfer of heat & vibration so the pump last longer.

It's as much to do with cheaper build price as it is improvement when compared with a gearbox, both have a few down sides - belt drive has more.
Rutland Pumps Limited - 01572 729412- sales@rutlandpumps.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 12:30:49 am »

It's as much to do with cheaper build price as it is improvement when compared with a gearbox, both have a few down sides - belt drive has more.

Like?

samson

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 07:15:24 am »
I Know nothing about Jetmac, but when I have spoken to a lad who fixes machines, he told me some horror stories about their gear as he has had to fix em ! :-\

Smurf

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
I Know nothing about Jetmac, but when I have spoken to a lad who fixes machines, he told me some horror stories about their gear as he has had to fix em ! :-\

Well things don't last forever you know ;D
Like most suppliers they sell a range of washers some budget and others a  higher spec.
You get what you pay for as the saying goes .   

Ben Marriott

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 11:33:04 am »
A few bits and bobs I've noticed, we use a belt drive on the 20HP diesel - but a diesel is a whole different kettle of fish to a small petrol engine. Most engines won't last long enough for the heat transfer to be an issue, I've never repaired a pump on and engine driven unit effected by heat transfer - electrics do it all the time web  the motors burn out but having asked at dual neither have they and they started doing this in 1975!

With a gearbox you have the following
Almost zero maintenance
Periodic oil change (Should be checked every use but easy to see through sight glass)
Keyway snatch (Slide pump off on yearly basis and re-grease) which eradicates the problem - all engine manuals will have a bit somewhere about renewing the key steel as part of the yearly service - no one does.

With the belt system
There is no actual connection to the engine which is a good thing! It reduces vibration transfer certainly - but with such a small petrol engine there is quite honestly no point, unless the engine is so poorly balanced it becomes necessary, on a big diesel fair enough but even so the plat the pump sits on should be vibration mounted not just bolted down.
When you come off of the trigger with a gearbox the gears take up the snatch effect - with a belt system you are just stretching at the belt and pullys - there is not much of a real difference in wear and I would guess that the belt wears out first.
The pully will rust onto the shaft if not kept greased up (less of a problem with gearboxes)
Belt will stretch with use and NEED adjusting as it will start to slip especially in damp conditions unless the correct tension is kept on the belt. Most customers won't do this - many don't check the oil let alone tension a belt drive.
Belts have a tendency to react with chemicals.....

If I didn't think the hassle would out weigh the fairly chunky saving we'd use them

samson

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »
Is mine a gearbox model Ben,  Its the 21lpm Honda model  . . . . I really struggle with all the specs stuff  ::)roll

Ben Marriott

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:49 pm »
Is mine a gearbox model Ben,  Its the 21lpm Honda model  . . . . I really struggle with all the specs stuff  ::)roll

Rather depends on what your machine looks like.

If its jetmac it is likely to be belt drive if its a nailsea machine it will be a gearbox, if it's BE Pressure then the lord alone knows!

samson

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:22 pm »

Rather depends on what your machine looks like.

If its jetmac it is likely to be belt drive if its a nailsea machine it will be a gearbox, if it's BE Pressure then the lord alone knows!
Bought it from qwashers, how can you tell if it has a gearbox ?

Ben Marriott

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 04:47:02 pm »
Between the pump and the engine there will be a black or silver casing with a removable dipstick on it somewhere.

Nailsea dont do belt drive so if you bought from q washers they made it - it will probably be a red top on the dipstick. Like in the below image :)

chrissyman

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »
On my loncin like my  honda driven pressure washers I start them on full revs and if cold from a cold start on full choke too.
Also when trying to start either washer I pull the trigger on the lance/flat surface cleaner aswell.
Once running I take the choke off and reduce the revs so the pump starts to prime from the holding tank whilst still holding in the trigger.
Once primed I then put the revs up again to the working pressure I want to use.
If the revs are too low the engine will cut out when I let go of the trigger which is probably something to do with the pump back pressure

I'm no expert but that is how I've always started my pressure washers no probs.

Cheers for reply smurf.  Yeah its belt driven.  Was working perfectly yesterday after it arrived for twenty minutes before cutting out.  Then got harder to start and keep it going.

Seems to be worse today.  Tried high revs but wouldnt start so lowered the revs but would cut out after say 30 seconds.  Tried raising the revs when it got started but would cut out immediately.  Then just became too hard to start.

Since getting it only thing i ve done is put unleaded petrol into the fuel tank plus a little bit 15w40 oil in the pump.  And none in the engine according the dipstick looks like theirs enough.  Same with the pump but just topped it up a bit incase that was the problem. 

Also pressed the trigger down to release pressure when starting.  Both hoses outer bypass and pump submerged in water etc. 

chrissyman

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 05:05:55 pm »
Having a mechanic have a look at it tonite hopefully he ll be able to get it up and running or at least advice me on the problem. 

Ben Marriott

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »
To be honest on brand new machine it's Jetmac who should be looking at it - you shouldn't have to be faffing about like this!

It sounds to me to be fuel starvation or poor ignition when the machine warms up - either way this is not a problem for you to fix.

samson

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »
To be honest on brand new machine it's Jetmac who should be looking at it - you shouldn't have to be faffing about like this!
+1

chrissyman

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »

It sounds to me to be fuel starvation or poor ignition when the machine warms up - either way this is not a problem for you to fix.

Agree mate.  Only other option is sending it back to ireland.  I d probably prefer to take the hit and get up and running.  Just heard the mechanics on his holidays for ten days.  But seemingly knows how to fix them.

Fuel starvation seems to be the problem anyone any ideas.

Cheers for help guys

Ben Marriott

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 07:39:50 pm »
Without looking it's difficult - one could sit here all night making suggestions...
It's  only northern Ireland so about £30 on courier

samson

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:11 pm »
Between the pump and the engine there will be a black or silver casing with a removable dipstick on it somewhere.

Nailsea dont do belt drive so if you bought from q washers they made it - it will probably be a red top on the dipstick. Like in the below image :)
It is exactly like you described with the red dipstick  :o