Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleantech

Carpet Pest!!!!help
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:45 pm »
This is a new one for me...i was at the vacuum stage of cleaning when i moved a small cabinet to find the carpet eaten away by something. I lifted it away from the gripper rod to find ants around the skirting board. Plan was treat with an insecticide once cleared with the costumer. So i thought lets just clean the carpet for now and come back to 1/ the ant problem 2/ whatever was eating the carpet. When i stared to pre-spray maggots started to suface ! lots of them. any ideas? i have since blocked the ant entrance / exit and treated with an insecticide. even as i was spraying the insecticide the maggots continued to appear i would extract them off and they would appear again.....I am thinking carpet moths larvae and the ants were after the maggots??????? thats my guess any help?

charles911

Re: carpet pest!!!!help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
I'm sure many would have walked away at that point.  pure yuk!

cleantech

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:17 pm »
I'm sure many would have walked away at that point.  pure yuk!

I hear you but i would rather go the extra mile to please the costumer than leave them alone with the mess

garybristow

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »
Have you tried antsoff or mothoff!!
one of those will work ;D ;D
gary

cleantech

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »
Have you tried antsoff or mothoff!!
one of those will work ;D ;D
gary

Hi gary what i used was ficam w a proffesional insecticide

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »
There's a huge difference between carpet moth and maggots.
The moth larvae looks like a grain of rice that through vibration might just raise itself above the carpet fibre (natural fibres only btw), a maggot on the other hand will crawl and will need a dead food source other than carpet to live on.

danny mosey

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
did it look anything like this

this image is magnified x10 the insect in the photo is only about 5mm long and i am told is carpet beetle larvie

cleantech

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »
There's a huge difference between carpet moth and maggots.
The moth larvae looks like a grain of rice that through vibration might just raise itself above the carpet fibre (natural fibres only btw), a maggot on the other hand will crawl and will need a dead food source other than carpet to live on.

Ok so lets just say they were maggots which i am almost sure they were...what were they doing within the carpet and what did eat the carpet?

cleantech

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:23 pm »
did it look anything like this

this image is magnified x10 the insect in the photo is only about 5mm long and i am told is carpet beetle larvie

No danny they were white to off white in colour and only appeared when i sprayed the carpet with power burst

cleantech

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:15 pm »
thanks for your input guys

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »
search the forums for moth or carpet moth

Loads of topics

Your basic training should have covered pests ;)

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:17 am »
give this bloke a ring, he knows everything about everything crawling or flying! tell him i gave you his details,  :)

Peter Higgs
07967 392964
www.pghpestcontrol.co.uk

He will advise you on best thing to do.

danny mosey

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:37 am »
so did it look more like this

moth larvae

cleantech

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
search the forums for moth or carpet moth

Loads of topics

Your basic training should have covered pests ;)

Should have expected a comment like that from yourself. I am seeing a pattern develop with your posts at this stage.

cleantech

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:46 am »
so did it look more like this

moth larvae

Yes danny i am happy to say it was moth larvae thanks. I just thought the larvae was brown in colour

Jim_77

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:40 pm »
Should have expected a comment like that from yourself. I am seeing a pattern develop with your posts at this stage.

And what pattern is that?  If people cant be bothered to use the search button I can't be bothered to type out stuff I've posted umpteen times before :)

I though it seemed you'd already identified what it was, a bit of further reading on your own initiative would have answered a lot of questions :)

pete jones

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:18 pm »
Is there a dead body under the floorboards  8)?

cleantech

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »
give this bloke a ring, he knows everything about everything crawling or flying! tell him i gave you his details,  :)

Peter Higgs
07967 392964
www.pghpestcontrol.co.uk

He will advise you on best thing to do.

Thanks steve

cleantech

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »

And what pattern is that?  If people cant be bothered to use the search button I can't be bothered to type out stuff I've posted umpteen times before :)

I though it seemed you'd already identified what it was, a bit of further reading on your own initiative would have answered a lot of questions :)

Who said i didn't do a search? Fair comment on having to repeat post but you did end up typing anyway you just decided to be sarcastic instead. I did a search noted all i could and then looked for more info sorry about that.