Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Craigp

Re: Job on a ship in Southampton
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »
Simon you got flak because you have not been transparent in what your paying.

Inhind sight don't you think it would be fairer to pay the same price to all? After all they will be doing the same job.

If someone finds out someone else is is getting 700 when they are getting 300 how do you think theyll feel?

jasonl

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »
Maybe something like ......

An opportunity has arisen to be part of the decontamination process on a ship in Southampton which has had a Novovirus issue.

I need people with a twin vac porty , 150 psi , who can be on site at 08:00 on 4th Jan , the pay is negotiable and will be paid in 7 days ,

Simples
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »
earlier on in the year i logged onto a website for contact cleaning with Hull University they wanted tenders for cleaning of the campus dormitories I was going to put a bid in ( but didn't bother) pity this topic wasn't going then I could have rang up the university and told them to stop mucking about and just tell me how much they wanted to pay ;D ;D

the point I'm making is Simon has just done what a lot of councils & big business do and put the work out to tender.... then invited people to put in their bid

I guess Simons motivation is maximising his own profit by accepting the lowest bids (which is actually sound business practice and exactly what I would do)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Craigp

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2011, 03:24:45 pm »
We agree on the motive.

But this isn't the same as a company/governmental tender is it.

But I see your point, depends how you view it.

Billy Russell

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:47 pm »
I think its great business by Simon!!!! probably why he's been in business so long!!! I can understand the questions etc, but at the end of the day its Simons contract, why pay 5 pairs of contractors  £600 quid across the board totalling to £3000, when 4 of the pairs are happy to do it for £ 300 each totaling to £1800 ( including the £600 from the 5th pair) £ 1200 in Simons pocket!!! Well done Simon!!!!  ;D

And no i'm not kissing is backside, because i think he's a fesup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
Billy I agree it's simple sums but if you are going to shout there's always someone to shout louder nobody should take offence it after all a discussion.

Shaun

Billy Russell

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
Billy I agree it's simple sums but if you are going to shout there's always someone to shout louder nobody should take offence it after all a discussion.

Shaun

Agreed!!!!  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »
I heard the more expensive winning bids get the liquid poo and puke cabins so they really earn it, so go in cheap!  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Billy Russell

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:28 pm »
I heard the more expensive winning bids get the liquid poo and puke cabins so they really earn it, so go in cheap!  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Craigp

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »
Or Billy he could pay them ALL in the middle say 400 and still makes his margins then it's more fair.

Rather than some at 600 some at 300.

But I guess you can say those on lower rates have only got themselves to blame ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »
Hi Guys

No points for guessing what's going to be the main topic of conversation when all the teams turn up.

Will everyone tell the truth or will some exagerate?

Not sure if it's the best way to motivate but he who pays determines the rules.

Happy new year.

Doug

wynne jones

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:10 pm »
Doug's right there will be some awkward moments.

It's a bit like when you're sitting on a plane next to someone who tells you they paid £200 less for their ticket. Although that could be cos they have to sit next to me.  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
As I have already stated the reason for doing it this way is because I don't believe in imposing a price on people, especially on a job like this and would rather they work for me at a price they are happy with, rather than one I imposed upon them and merely take the work on the basis that they haven't got anything else to do and not be as committed as I would expect them to be to getting the job done. (been there many times before). As it is there is no great differential one guy to the next because the right kind of people know what to charge for a job like this.
I don't see what it has got to do with anyone else, most of whom have obviously never done jobs on this scale before and so can only speculate in blissful ignorance as to what they would do in the same circumstances.
I think a lot of you just don't like, or are jealous of successful people being successful, at least that is how it looks because you sure are wound up at the thought of me turning a profit on this, which just makes me laugh. ;D ;D

Simon

PaulKing

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
even if you were rung up by "Cruise ships are us" you'd  be unable to do this job without Simon, take a look at your insurance policy, bet you it says excluding: docks, ships and offshore installation such as oil rigs, or similar.  He's paid out a good amount to get that cover and to be able to sub the work out so its his show and his rules, if you don't like them, unlucky.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

mike roberts

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »
This Post should not be in this area of the forum ??? Admin  ;D  ??? IF it was in the correct area may not of received same feedback !!

Simon if you lived in same town as me and won local large contract (which we quoted 4) I would be jealous and bitter no question  ;D ;D
sure its the same for the rest of the guys who dared to ask questions :P

BUT its on job on a ship  ;D southampton  ;D ;D  with an infectious bug  ;D ;D ;D     HELLO!!

Honestly....... 8) wish you all the best, Happy New year - serious note its good to hear guys are gaining these contracts !!

- as feedback would be nice to know how you deal with large clients like this accepting subbing out work, maybe be usefull in other cleaning services, Again all the best.

derek west

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »
personally, i look at it as, simon is not just offering work, he's offering a massive learning curve, for me it wouldn't be about the money, it would be about learning how a big job like this is carried out like clockwork, if it was advertised by the IICRC as a training course, alot on here would be paying £200 to go along, missed a trick there simon ;D

happy new year guys, and yes i'm tankered with a "W". hey its been 2 years so i'm allowed to let my hair down, i'll rephrase that, i'm allowed to do errrm errrm something that resembles letting my hair down but not actually letting my hair down ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2012, 11:00:40 am »
Is that double strength Viking?  ;D

PaulKing

« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03:34 am »
bit like a backside with the Norovirus this thread will just keep on running  ;)
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

derek west

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2012, 11:20:58 am »
Is that double strength Viking?  ;D

good old viking lager, those were the days. ;D

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »
even if you were rung up by "Cruise ships are us" you'd  be unable to do this job without Simon, take a look at your insurance policy, bet you it says excluding: docks, ships and offshore installation such as oil rigs, or similar.  He's paid out a good amount to get that cover and to be able to sub the work out so its his show and his rules, if you don't like them, unlucky.

Actually Paul it does'nt work like that. In cases of emergency the Port Health rules kick in and so the insurance of the contractors is not called into question (at least not the bit re working in this type of environment is concerned). Does appear to be a bit of a Dutch auction to me and would love to pull up some very contradictive posts but life's too short and that would be petty. N.B. some of you are likely to pick this virus up  :( all that said, have fun and I will waive if I see any of you as I will be working a very nearby.

Pete