Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Moss

Re: Job on a ship in Southampton
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 06:54:09 pm »
I bet thats taken the wind out of your sails :D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »
But I'm sure Simon has this covered with his experience ;D

I hope so because back in 2010 he wrote this:
Boudicca has had problems with Noro Virus lately and this mass clean might be something to do with that. If so, I would urge everyone involved to make sure that they wash all of their clothing and scrub themselves down very thoroughly indeed. And wash down all equipment used on the ship before taking into another customers house. Theoretically you should not work in another public place, including customers homes etc  for at least 48 hours afterwards. Norovirus is a very virulent and particularly unpleasant illness.

And Glynn wrote this:
I hope you exhausted every portable's vacuum outlet to outside atmosphere !, otherwise youv'e just made all the germs airborne again.
This is where Truckmounts win over because they vent to fresh outside air. Same with decontaminating hospitals after an outbreak, you must not exhaust spent germ ridden air back into the building.

Like Simon says theres more to these jobs than you think and a particular way of operating.

The rest is on this thread from 2010 if anyone is interested
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=90314.120
Neil,
The problem with that job was there was an unusually high re-infection rate from  one cruise to another and that was down to how the initial outbreak was dealt with, which I assure you is way more in depth than just cleaning the carpets. I can't go into details but certain parts of the procedures were lacking in their depth and scope and hence the problem. To suggest, as you seem to be, that I was intimating that the mass clean up was the problem is misleading and out of context.

What most people don't realise is that when a passenger becomes ill a very wide ranging and thorough procedure is instigated by the ships staff. (watch Mighty Ships, Queen Mary 2 to see this in action) Their focus, as is ours in the small part we play in the overal scheme of things is to safeguard the health and well-being of every passenger, many of whom are on a trip of a lifetime, for which they have saved for years. By the time a ship returns to its home port the situation has already been dealt with and contained, as best these things can, even so, yet another cleaning and santising operation begins, which at this stage is more precautionary than a fight to manage an out of control situation that has raged out of control for the duration of the cruise.
Like you say, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Simon

craignozza

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
 Hi simon Im only in brighton if you hav'nt already found somebody id be up for it subject to price cheers craig office@sussexsurfacerestoration.co.uk 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
Wonder if Billy has a porty (hello Sailor)

Shaun

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »
To suggest, as you seem to be, that I was intimating that the mass clean up was the problem is misleading and out of context.

No I wasn't doing that. I just remembered the comments that appeared on here because porties were going to be used on a ship that had had an virus going around it. 12 months later and it appears to me that the same methods that 'weren't' good enough that time are now suitable.

Simon, I have no gripe with you and am pleased to be associated with someone who has the task of dealing with these mamouth monumental jobs. I submitted my price to you and you thought it too high, which again I seriously don't have a problem with, it's your job and you make the calls on it....fair enough, I would do the same.

But please in future don't rubbish those using porties or LM when you are happy to use these machines on what can only be described as prime jobs, which would be far more suited to triple vac machines/TM's.

:-* Neil

Helen

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2011, 08:19:40 pm »

.............I put the same post on Truckmounters and strangely it hasn't been greeted with the same hostility. ;D

Simon

I guess, predominantly a different ilk of membership, Simon

Yes certainly an arrogant different ilk aren't you lot........but lets not go there eh?

elliott cleaning

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »
Where does arrogance come into the equation, Helen?

Most on Truckmounters also have other types of machinery available to them, so no different than members on here

Why not join Tmounters and see for yourself how the discussions work on that board :-*

mike roberts

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »
Sorry but no. Clicky or what >:(

I simply questioned the method / logic of paying workers different rates, I was under the impression this was a forum ??? Other users have questioned the same + more.

Looking at Simons previous posts ... why is that so bad  ??? ??? Simon never questions anything  ;D ;D  please..

We all know Simon / Jason will never see eye to eye... But please you have to accept some questions is your going to make a post like that.

Why did the administrators not move this from this section to the Cleaning contracts / business leads section  ??? ..............I wonder

Paul Moss

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »
Mike give it a wide birth or Simon may take you over the yard arm :)

elliott cleaning

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
Paul is obviously on a nautical roll with his posts

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:33 pm »
he seems all at sea to me

mike roberts

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

The rest is on this thread from 2010 if anyone is interested
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=90314.120

Wow... suggest everyone making comments reads this old post  ;D ;D ;D

Simon please read some of your comments...   :o

Well done Neil

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »
Neil,
But please in future don't rubbish those using porties or LM when you are happy to use these machines on what can only be described as prime jobs, which would be far more suited to triple vac machines/TM's.

I don't know where you have got all of this from. The preferable option in these situations is to use a TM, but when you have Liner of 1,000 feet long with 15 decks and cabins dotted all over the place they just are not a viable option. We have used portable machines on ship for as long as I have been doing them, but only when we have to for purely operational reasons.
I would also point out that like most TM owners the roots of my business were planted using portable machines, so again I think you are just twisting my past comments to make some sort of gripe.
Apart from that, I think you're a very nice man. ;D

Simon

Craigp

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »
Its in the offing.

Colin should know that one.. :D

Paul Moss

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:03 pm »
Becareful Simon may have a press gang if he cant get enough volenteers

Paul Heath

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »
At the end of the day...those that want the job put in a quote....those that don't leave it....simples ::)

wynne jones

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »
I may be sailing close to the wind but this type of work isn't plain sailing. Simon has done all the fathoming out and knows the ropes and won't hire a loose canon leaving him high and dry.

Right I'm off to batten down the hatches before you make me walk the plank!
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Jim_77

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2011, 09:45:25 pm »
Mossy, shut up and get back to what you're good at - go and roger the cabin boy ;)