Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

Re: Job on a ship in Southampton
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2012, 06:05:31 pm »
As I have already stated the reason for doing it this way is because I don't believe in imposing a price on people, especially on a job like this and would rather they work for me at a price they are happy with, rather than one I imposed upon them and merely take the work on the basis that they haven't got anything else to do and not be as committed as I would expect them to be to getting the job done. (been there many times before). As it is there is no great differential one guy to the next because the right kind of people know what to charge for a job like this.
I don't see what it has got to do with anyone else, most of whom have obviously never done jobs on this scale before and so can only speculate in blissful ignorance as to what they would do in the same circumstances.
I think a lot of you just don't like, or are jealous of successful people being successful, at least that is how it looks because you sure are wound up at the thought of me turning a profit on this, which just makes me laugh. ;D ;D

Simon

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just pay a decent price for good guys Simon and don't be greedy.

PaulKing

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:21 pm »
I be careful working uninsured If it was me Peter, if a machine caught fire they would be looking to blame you daily pronto and seen situations where it verbally ok turn nasty very easily. As it is Simon will have the cover so everyone working for him will too.

I can feel his Aurora getting larger http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Aurora/Ship-Webcams/

Who's going to stand at the prow at midday and wave?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Mike Halliday

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

I can just see Simon stood at the bow leaning forward with his arms wide open with Jim Neil stood behind him.... then quietly in the background you hear....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYFYGCw2Kc

:D :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Craigp

« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2012, 07:10:31 pm »
Re. Insurance you could say that about catching an office block on fire when doing an office carpet clean.

Billy Russell

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »

I can just see Simon stood at the bow leaning forward with his arms wide open with Jim Neil stood behind him.... then quietly in the background you hear....

;D ;D ;D

Jim with his pink sebo duo in one hand!!!

;D ;D ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Jim with his pink sebo duo in one hand!!!

;D ;D ;D

Yer in his carpet cleaning Spandex suit :-*

PaulKing

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
Re. Insurance you could say that about catching an office block on fire when doing an office carpet clean.

yes you'd be liable, the owners building insurance would kick in and they they would seek damages from you public liability.  Thats why you must have it or it would bankrupt you in the event of a claim. Didn't you not know that?

Ships and docks with all the extra dangers and tight schedules  it's a nightmare, the ones working with simon with have years of knowledge to help them and also insured for any damage under his umbrella as someone said before it's a learning opportunity.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:22 pm »

No wonder  Jims needs a longer hose its all making sense now. Going down on simon or like Titanic they will go down together :o :P ::) :'(
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Craigp

« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »
Paul I did it with CLEAN a few years ago I know the procedure.

I know the purpose of insurance, but do you need special insurance for a ship job?

PaulKing

« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
in a word yes the risks are so much higher, as i said earlier in this post most policies  exclude ships dock oil rigs and petroleum installations.

set fire to that baby, they'd want hundred million for starters

Craigp

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2012, 07:56:11 pm »
But they wouldn't leave that to chance would they?

I mean when Pete Sweeney did it they would have asked to see insurances, cus otherwise they be left to sue Peter and I'm sure he has not got millions to pay out. Ie you cant get blood from a stone so it's in there interest to check.

So if Pete needed it he'd have had it.

PaulKing

« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
Ask pete that question i can't answer it, been asked on 50% of marine jobs for insurance certificate including marines work cover, rest of the time not, if they desperate I could see them not be too bothered but if there was a subsequent problem, and there insurers are paying out, Theni can see a whole torrent of poo heading over the hill, at this point I'd want to be insured.

As for blood out of a stone, its like this for me.
We are a limited company but that would count for Diddley squat as not having the cover in place would be a abandonment of my directorial duties and then I would be personally liable for the claim against the company, so not only would I lose my livelihood I would also lose my house/car/etc

If your a sole trader then its much simpler, your liable and they will have everything off you.

God this is a long thread,

moral of it is make sure your insured, True story three months a friends sister feel down stairs at work for a big plc, stairs cleaned that day and not dry and cleaner had taken home yellow slip signs, she's ok after a month off but company is claiming her salary plus lost productivity on the project she works on. its about £20k, his insurers quibbling as he had taken away signs so they think he's liable as it gross negligence,

Its not a massive amount but it would take most every business I know under at them moment, I'm cautious but thats just me, by all means fly close to the wind. But this is a litigious time.

Jim_77

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
Standard policy wording says something along the lines of it excludes work on hovercraft, ships, watercraft etc EXCEPT when docked.  So everyone with a half decent insurance policy should be covered.

In other words you couldn't sail your truckmount alongside the ship and clean the carpets whilst it's whilst at sea :)

My insurance policy was the first thing I checked when this job came up!

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
As said before, a special procedure kicks in (in emergencies) and the insurance is underwritten by the ships (or to the point's it's carriers) insurance. I did investigate this fully before. I realise I don't know what I'm doing but by luck it just occurred to me that this might need looking into  ;) so I did. Blimey, thank god for luck and lack of business acumen.

PaulKing

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »
sorry pete i didn't realise you meant that the ship owners underwrote it in that case your 100% right.

PaulKing

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »
regarding the prow of the ship at midday, how about a MANTANTIC pose

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »
Don't be sorry Paul, my sarcasm wasn't aimed at you, I just remember the poop and abuse I had thrown at me when I was running a similar job and it's hard to place a few reminders out there but hey, I earned well and so did everyone else so happy days. Just find some of the comments posted hilarious given the factual history  :-X

« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »
Don't be sorry Paul, my sarcasm wasn't aimed at you, I just remember the poop and abuse I had thrown at me when I was running a similar job and it's hard to place a few reminders out there but hey, I earned well and so did everyone else so happy days. Just find some of the comments posted hilarious given the factual history  :-X

I haven't forgotten either hence why I put the link to the comments from that time.

Craigp

« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
I remember it well Pete, what went around has come around ehh!