Steve Weatherley

Truckmount?
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:29:43 am »
As an owner of a portable machine, I have been considering getting a T/M for quite some time. A visit to the show gave me plently of opportunity to make enquiries to the companies selling these machines.
I asked some of the guys on the three of four stands (no names mentioned)to give me some good reasons as to why a T/M might benefit me. All of them gave the same three reasons:

1. The matter of image......a T/M user has the higher level of respect from his/her customers and there are now customers out there asking specifically for T/M cleaning.
I have never had a customer ask me for T/M cleaning and all of my customers are highly impressed when I wheel the Ninja up to the front door.
2. Setting up times are quicker.
I don't dispute this but would expect to be saving only approx half an hour per job in setup/ packdown time. On average I do 2 jobs per day so one hour doesn't make a massive difference to me.
3. Extra power gives a better clean.
Most of the cleaning is done by the pre vac, pre-spray and agitation. The main part of the extraction process is to simply rinse the carpet clean and leave it as dry as possible. In my view I have never had a problem using my portable alongwith other accessories.

Is there a major point or an obvious benefit which has not been mentioned by anyone?

Please understand that I am not knocking T/M's - having never used one I am not qualified to criticise them. After all there are hundreds of satisfied users out there who obviously feel that they have had good value for their 15 grand. However I have come to the conclusion that my 15 grand might be better spent on a range of other methods and accessories, i.e Dry Fusion, Host or Envirodry, etc. And I would still have spent considerably less than £15k.

I would appreciate anyone else's views on my thoughts.

Ian Gourlay

Re: Truckmount?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 06:58:29 am »
Ive only got a portable.  I would love a new van and the best truckmount and accesorries money could buy. So I could also do patios tiled floors etcetc

In fact I would love three .

However to acheive one I would have to be certain that I could generate enough work to justify the cost etc.

Lasat year I looked back at the origional postings on Cleantalk, and you will find people on these boards who now have truckmounts saying how wonderful their portable was and did not consider they were doing an inferior job with their portables.

It apears to me they are born with an abundance of confidence and Know how to spin a tale to their best advatage. By doing this they increased their turnover and graduated to a truckmount.

What does amaze me is people who start out with a truckmount, they must br megga confident.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 08:01:12 am »
1)all of my customers are highly impressed when I wheel the Ninja up to the front door.

of course they are! because they know no different,

your customer will never ask for T/M cleaning until they are told about the benefits to them that using a truckmount will give.

[2)i]Setting up times are quicker.[/i]

yes it is quicker, all small jobs you might save 30mins but on bigger jobs that could be 2hrs.

3)Extra power gives a better clean.
You're wrong with this one. pre-vacing, pre-spraying & aggitation does nothing to clean the  carpet, 'a better clean' come from the amount of solution jetted into the carpet then sucked out, a truckmount flushes a lot more dirt out of the carpet.

the more I read your post the more I see the views of a man who has no intention of buying a truckmount, and is doing a very good job of convincing himself he does'nt need one ;)

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 08:27:44 am »
Hi Guys,

Although we get excited by Truck vs Porty,micro vs detergent etc ,99% of customers don't give a damn they just want a clean carpet.

I've been surprised how few people do ask for a truck clean , only 2 ,I can remember in the last few years and one of them was so obviously a carpet cleaner I had to stop myself from laughing ::)

Cheers,

Doug

Ian Rochester

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 08:30:44 am »
Just been to the Cleaning Show on Wed, looked at the various TM's on display, liked the Hydramaster set up and had a good chat with John, he even arranged for me to go outside to see Lee from South Wales' Boxxer set up that he brought with him (thanks for that Lee).  But my main concerns with TM in general are:

How do you get on with having to leave both your van door and the house door open whilst you are working inside, is this not insecure for your equipment/van and bloody cold in the house if it is bad weather outside?

How do you get around keeping your hoses clean whilst  dragging them along the ground then into someones house, do you have to clean your hoses off after each job?

How do you get on with hotels are other secure areas where doors cannot be left open or where they have an automatic or carousel type doors at the entrance.

How do you get on if you cannot get parked up close to the house or office area.

I may well take a trip down to sunny Cornwall after the spring rush, for another look and a cornish pastie.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 08:39:29 am »
During march I was booked up sometimes upto 3 weeks so was passing on work to a friend, A number of existing customers who I tried to pass on decided to wait the 3 week rather than have someone who used 'different' equipment to me,

in December A customer who had moved ( into a retirement flat)decided to make do with the carpets as they were rather than me pass onto the same friend who did'nt use my 'equipment'

a girl once said to me " once you've had black, you never go back" I don't know what she meant ::) but But I could say " once you've had 'T' you never want to 'P'

Mike

stevegunn

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 08:41:23 am »
Personally i think a truckmount is more of a want than a need.A lot of truckmount owners still run a porty for doing upholstery.I would love a truckmount to try for a couple of weeks to see if i could justify the cost and the logistics of owning a truckmount.I can see the advantages on big jobs i sub contracted a truckie in to do a school for me once and the time it took was amazing i would have been there 6-7 hours but it was done in 3-4 hours with the truckmount.Hydramasters set up is the best i have seen so far.Get yourself to the sunny day out as a lot of different truckmount set ups are on show. 

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 08:45:52 am »
Mike,

I too have had the I'll wait for you ,thanks,  but for the quality they know they receive from me rather than the size of my equipment :o

Cheers,

Doug

Ian Rochester

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 09:58:45 am »
Mike,

You are obviously a TM convert, can you help answer any of my queries above, how do you get around them, they are not once in a blue moon issues, they are issues that I would have to surmount with the majority of my major contracts?

cleaning co

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 10:33:56 am »
way ic is like this, u tell a cust u hav a truck mount they would go ? what the hell is he on about whats a truck mount ?, do they really care ? no i dont think so they just want their carpets to look nice they dont giv a dam how u do it  , only people who gain out of a truck mount are the cleaners why ? because it makes their life easier  ,faster , if a cust c two adds one ad truckmount cleaning the other portable would they choose the truckmount over the portable ? no i dont think so it would be 1 price 2 local 3 how well the add looks,they aint got a clue the diff between the two and they dont care, u can do just as good job with a porty it just takes longer,i havnt got a truck mount but if i wasnt so tight i would buy one tommorow to make my life easier not to gain more cust because i honestly dont think it has an effect  on that side , and i could say because u can do a carpet in half hour with a tm as to an hour with a porty do u think cust thinks he is getting better value for money with a porty ? ??? just my veiws cheers gary (ashplays had to reg another name as i lost my password and no matter how many times i tryed could not get it sent again  ???)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 10:43:40 am »
gary you're right, customers don't know what i truckmount is or why it will give the a sopposedly better clean.

that where the salesmenship come in :) my customer wait for me and want a T/M because I've convinced them they are getting something better with a T/M. Whether this is true is debatable, I believe so.

LionHeart, you ask some very valid question and they deserve a full answer but I'm just popping home betreen jobs to have some breakfast so hav'nt got time to answer them, but I will sometime this weekend

Mike

cleaning co

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 10:46:57 am »
yes mike i agree with u teaching that custmer once u hav got them but my point is do it get u that custmer in the first place because u hav a truck mount ? :)  gary

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 11:00:38 am »
I get them in the first place by telling them that anyone who brings a portable into thier home is a cowboy and will leave the carpet stinking  & soaking wet for 3 days :o :o  :o

actually my leaflet sells the benefit of not bring any machinary into the home  and how we've invested over '£18,000 in the latest machinary, to guarantee the best clean possible'

off back to work

Mike

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 12:15:09 pm »
actually my leaflet sells the benefit of not bring any machinary into the home

I don't take the Ninja into anybody's home - even in the pouring rain - I just place the cover over it.

I have an open mind on this issue but so far I just feel that a T/M is not for me taking into account the financial outlay. From reading the comments I do agree that on the larger jobs I would save more time and concede this as another plus point for the T/M. However, if I was leaving customers with a dirty wet carpet or customers were asking for a T/M I would certainly see benefits of spending the money.
If somebody can put some answers to Lionheart's issues it would be interesting!

mark_roberts

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 01:16:06 pm »
How do you get on with having to leave both your van door and the house door open whilst you are working inside, is this not insecure for your equipment/van and bloody cold in the house if it is bad weather outside?

You will leave the door open if you keep the portable outside anyway.  Use a blanket or similar if very cold.  Pull the van door over and get a chain if its a problem.

How do you get around keeping your hoses clean whilst  dragging them along the ground then into someones house, do you have to clean your hoses off after each job?

Use a hose washer or a cloth.  Kepp them off the grass if possible.  Keep a seperate lenght of hose for the house.

How do you get on with hotels are other secure areas where doors cannot be left open or where they have an automatic or carousel type doors at the entrance.

Use a window or get the portable out.

How do you get on if you cannot get parked up close to the house or office area.

Get the portable out or get them to keep you a space.

I may well take a trip down to sunny Cornwall after the spring rush, for another look and a cornish pastie.

IMO you should only get a truckmount when you can afford to pay at least half in cash.  By doing this you will prove to yourself that your busy enough to justify it ie. working all day every day.  The extra job a day thing is a sale pitch.  You have to market to get the extra job.

I have a Bane, portable and Texatherm and I need all three every week.

I think to justify, from a business point of view, a petrol truckmount or £15000 outlay plus operating costs you really need to be turning over £600 per week and THATS BEFORE YOU PAY YOURSELF.

Mark

paul@ctcs

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 02:02:47 pm »
With the recent introduction of the high power portable machines the gap in performance has been slashed, with 900psi solution pressure on tap and enough vaccum power to achieve drying times well under an hour on some synthetic carpets I'm more than happy, plus all this for £3k!!!
 There are a few obvious benefits with bigger jobs but chances are their commercial, If this is the case then a good LM system is my weapon of choice so for me at the moment I'm happy with my porty and LM system.

Paul

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 02:39:27 pm »
I think Mark has answered Lion Hearts question well, all the problems he's mentioned are easily overcome.

I'm finding now that these types of questions are ignored by most Truckmount owners, people don't ask them for information, they ask them to reinforce their own negative beliefs.

its easier to to see problems with truckmounts than it is to see answers.

'no one is so blind than he who refuses to see'

Mike

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 03:05:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

Although we get excited by Truck vs Porty,micro vs detergent etc ,99% of customers don't give a d**n they just want a clean carpet.
I've been surprised how few people do ask for a truck clean , only 2 ,I can remember in the last few years and one of them was so obviously a carpet cleaner I had to stop myself from laughing ::)

Cheers,

Doug

surely if 99% of customers were not bothered as long as the carpets looked clean then they would all go for the 50% off brigade!

What you will find with a TM is that it will leave it drier even if you get the same clean as a porti which I am sure all good operators would offer.

But it is quicker because less passes are needed if you were to compare the two and also the filling and dumping which takes time is irradicated (no more kitchen sink marketing(infact I call it cuppa tea marketing now))

Shaun

mark_roberts

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 04:36:26 pm »
When using a truckmount do you still find the need to agitate prespray especially microsplitters?

thanks
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 05:16:47 pm »
I don't think you would get the microsplitting if you didn't agitate

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 05:17:39 pm »
Shaun,

Do the 50% off merchants leave the carpet clean?, not the ones I've come across.

I do think speed seems to be the big TM advantage , accessability the big dissadvantage.

Both my weekend commercial jobs are porty only due to access.

Cheers,

Doug

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2005, 05:30:26 pm »
I can see your point of view I've been there as well, but you will always find a way of getting your pipes in :o,

Remember when you are selling your services to a new customer what makes you charge your higher price compared to the £10 any sized carpet you find in the free paper?

Well you have to be different ie educated in your trade, offer a better service, better products and a better machine your custy will expect that you will arrive on time and be courteous and not damage her items but when you offer a more deep down clean so it looks better and stays cleaner longer rinses out the chemicals that you have used and/or quicker drying that is where you can be a cut above the rest and you charge a premium for it! a TM for some is an evolutionary step.

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 05:34:45 pm »
Shaun,

Tommorows job is an office tower block and I'm on floors 9 and 7.

I do take your point about having a truckmount being an evolutionary step, and my new van is big enough for one if I decide to go that way.

Cheers,

Doug

paul@ctcs

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 06:00:52 pm »
I would like to think I offer a service which is 2nd to none in all aspects but I'm offering Half Price at the moment to domestic customers   :o

Paul

stevegunn

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 06:26:54 pm »
Doug what van did you go for in the end?

malc

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 06:41:36 pm »
With referance to mikes post "if you bring a portable in your home is a cowboy"i believe its the operator that gets the result.And believe that truck mounts are great if you have got large commercial jobs which you can get access with your truck.   

Len Gribble

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 06:50:45 pm »
Very interesting reading!

I have found my TM to be an asset, yes there a few problem i.e. parking, commercial work etc that’s why I’m a professional and do my homework on each job.

Though who are in a sense putting forwards the negative side of owning a TM need to look closer to home and do a comparisons on the equipment they have against the more powerful ones coming into the country like cfr 500 and the eclipse.

And yes all porty users leave machine out side :P :P ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Chris Bailey

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 06:58:39 pm »
Whilst at the show I was viewing a stand near the service master stand when I couldn't help but overhear someone having a telephone conversation about T/M franchises, neadless to say the leaflet I was looking at at the time took me a long time to read...

Anyways, the guy on the phone was saying that T/M's aren't to get ahead of the game but are becoming the norm!!

I am intersted in a T/M, not yet, but hopefully not to far in the future.  IMO I don't believe that T/M's are becoming the norm or that there is any great advantage over the portable other than productivity.  Yes they may well be able to leave the carpets dryer and this is a marketing angle, but I have never been asked if I have a T/M and I have never lost a potential job because of drying times.

The only reason I want a T/M is to grow my business through greater productivity and to make the job easier.

When I have a T/M then I will, of course, tell my new customers that any one with a porty is a cowboy ;D ;)

Good Thread

Chris
Carpet Care

Leicester

Ian Rochester

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 07:01:21 pm »
Hello all, just got back from seeing the Town trounce the scousers,  apologies to any Liverpudlians out there, but what the hell.

TM's, Mark has made an attempt at answering my previous questions , with half of his answers saying "Get the Porty out", not what I wanted to hear!!

Also I do not leave my portable outside, it comes in with me so that I can close the door, dust sheets and all.  There is not always an option for putting hoses through a window, we do a government building (20K+pa) which has no open windows and we work in the basement area.  So would this be another "Get the porty out" answer?

I think we both need each other, there is advantages for both, in an ideal world we would all have a TM, Eclipse (or similar!!) and Dry Fusion (or similar!!) systems sat in our garage or lock up ready for all situations.  Unfortunatly, few of us can afford this luxury so have to live with what we have.  I have porties, but do not class myself as a cowboy by any means.  Cowboys are people who either do not know what they are doing and/or rip people off with prices for poor quality service.

I am seriously looking at TMs and other systems, I am honest with customers about drying times, I earn a VERY GOOD net profit with very low overheads and believe that I offer very good value for a very good service.

Roll on next sunday for the Spurs match
Ian

paul@ctcs

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 07:09:51 pm »
There are portables and then there are the Recoil and Eclipse machines ;D
I doubt there is much difference with drying times, I can achieve dry times under an hour in many cases, IMO carpet cleanings optimal solution pressure is around 300 to 400 psi so these machines can cut the mustard here too.
Saying that its Horses for Courses and on some very large very dirty jobs where filling and dumping would drive me crazy I'd give my right arm for a TM.

Paul

lee_gundry

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2005, 07:18:53 pm »
you don,t see truckmount owners posting threads on here,asking how to generate more work.

why do you think this is?????

Lee G
cumbria

paul@ctcs

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2005, 07:25:26 pm »
They have obviously been trading long enough to generate the client base to justify the outlay of a TM.

Dont forget the King of CC uses a portable machine ;)

Paul

Len Gribble

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2005, 07:37:43 pm »
Paul

No need to give up your right arm for a TM sub it out and let them do the hard work and take a bit of the top.

Have to admit in my advertisement I pop at the porty boys using the latest machine, for all I know they could be using a George, but if they say eclipse/recoil I would know I would have competition, then again no competition as nether machines are in my neck of the woods. ;D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

stevegunn

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2005, 07:47:49 pm »
Paul

No need to give up your right arm for a TM sub it out and let them do the hard work and take a bit of the top.

Have to admit in my advertisement I pop at the porty boys using the latest machine, for all I know they could be using a George, but if they say eclipse/recoil I would know I would have competition, then again no competition as nether machines are in my next of the woods. ;D ;D

Len

YET ;)

Len Gribble

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2005, 08:19:22 pm »
Chris

Re franchising if the one I think you are on about granted data is about 18 mouth old Lounge £30 now advertising £100 per hour. TM’s the norm hope not as I’m the only one in my borough. ;D

Steve

Lucky me most have there head in the sand or some where else! :-*

Len

lee_gundry

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 08:29:11 pm »
just flicking through the prochem cleaning specialist magazine,i noticed that all the sucess articals are truckmount owners,

swift clean blows 45k on a set up,5 yrs later the guy has a fleet of truckmounts.
valetek cleaning lands pizza hut contract,
simon gerrad cleaning cruise liners

you don,t see bill smith seals cleaning contract to clean all londons comet retail outlets,using his steampro100psi,with built in vac booster & supa doopa water heaterupper

Lee G
cumbria

Len Gribble

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 09:17:55 pm »
Lee

Sorry to be cynical with your statement look at issue 8 summer 2002 forget the front page, go to page cs4 page cs3 is quite intriguing Steempro.

Len

Mike Roper

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 09:32:11 pm »
Hi
 Granted Prochem mag features all these truckmount success stories, & all those guys deserve success because nobody hands it to them on a plate, but they want to sell more truckmounts. Not everyones business is or wants to be big contracts . No doubt if they did want to compete in that market they WOULD HAVE TO go truckmount. As has been said its horses for courses  & theres alot of GOOD c/c ,s with good businesses using portys & l/m systems. Every one must evaluate his own circumstances & needs & ambitions? & decide for himself.
Mike. (Whiby)

lee_gundry

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2005, 10:26:14 pm »
like i say len just flicking through.

Lee G
cumbria

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2005, 11:01:47 pm »
I'm finding now that these types of questions are ignored by most Truckmount owners, people don't ask them for information, they ask them to reinforce their own negative beliefs.
This is absolute rubbish! The questions are raised because before spending thousands of pounds of hard earned money it would be nice to find out if it's justified.
It's a pity if you can't raise these questions in fear of offending T/M users because that's not the intent.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2005, 08:18:51 am »
Steve, You did'nt just raise questions , you then proceded to answer them. You did'nt answer them with positive reasons to buy a truckmount but with  negative reasons.

T/M user don;t feel offended by these question but as they are outnumbered by portable user who will jump in with a supposbly good reason why a portable will give just as good a result as a T/M (Eg; Pauls comment that the Eclipse is slashing the differance betreen portables & T/M ) or how a bonnet system will do just as good a job on commercial cleaning.

also this topic has been covered so may times and it always follows the same path, it would be better to just have some pre-written answers that people could just cut & paste.

Eg;

I work on the 15th floor
I can't park in city centres
I can't leave the van doors open
my hoses will get dirty
my portable will do just as good a job
its the operator, not the machine
etc..etc..etc

in some ways I feel these topics are subliminally insulting to T/M owners, its almost saying 'why have you been stupid and bought a 15K T/M when you could spend 3k and get the same results'

these are just my thoughts and not representative of all T/M owners ;)

Mike

Doug Holloway

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2005, 08:37:42 am »
Mike,

If your happy with what you are using then you will not feel insulted ;)

I know both Lee and Glynn have seen big business growth since going TM , have you found the same?

Cheers,

Doug

David_Annable

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2005, 09:16:55 am »
I would love to have a new van + TM set up on my drive, but I cant afford it.

The reason I cant afford it is that I cant get enough people to pay me proper money for CC.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Mike Halliday

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2005, 09:51:43 am »
Doug, no ;)

the only thing that make a business grow is the attitude & gumption of the person who owns it

Mike

Dave Ingram

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2005, 10:14:47 am »
Don’t you just love constructive criticism; I think I’ll wait a little longer before I give my opinion? :-X
Regards Dave

paul@ctcs

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2005, 10:45:53 am »
Mike,

The Introduction of machines such as the Recoil and Eclipse has closed the performance gap between portables and TM's, that fact can not be disputed! For me a high power porty suits my work load, I'll be honest I would never go back to a machine with 135psi or similar, as your aware with your TM, the extra solution pressure makes achieveing great results far easier and quicker :)
 Too many of my jobs would not be practical for a TM with parking and security, for example, the snooker centres have to be cleaned through the night and are in a busy parts of town renowned for larger louts, etc. I wouldnt want to leave a van door open with this type of idiot hanging about.
There is no doubt a TM is ideal for alot of situations, a majority of commercials do benefit from Extracting at least once a year but can be effectively maintained with a good LM system.
Again as others have stated I'm not knocking TM's there is no doubt there performance is better than portables, and as I have discovered with the Eclipse the extra power does make getting results far easier therefore quicker hence more productive, At some point If ctcs continues to grow I wouldnt mind adding a TM to my arsenal :)

Paul

Glynn

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2005, 12:28:44 pm »
If all this "access" to jobs etc is such a big concern, then how is it that all the guys I talked to who said they WAS going to keep at least one portable, for those  "hard to get to jobs" have now SOLD them ?
They are now only using TMs. This includes myself.
I initially kept two portables, then sold one, then after 15 months of not using it I sold it and I have only ever needed it once since for a single lounge that turned out I did anyway with 10 minutes of hose management.

One other point, A friend of mine who is hopefully coming into this indusrty is buying a TM, he came to the show with me. Now, he has been with me on jobs for over 20 years on and off using portables in fact he worked for me years ago, so he knows about portables. He started coming out on jobs with me again recently obviously with the TM, his initial opinion was one of complete suprise on the power, ease of setting up and more importantly the massive amount of time saved not filling and emptying and carrying water about.
This friend Mick, was involved in a serious motorcycle accident 18 month ago and has left him with reduced leg movement so a portable would be out of the question, but he finds through actual experience that he can handle a TM. So his only interest in entering into this proffession is to be truckmount.

I know a lot of the negative opinions stated on the forums re TMs are hinged on money.
But just like myself who openly shunned TMs , I eventually learned that I was wrong, and that I wish I have made the move many years ago, I could have made a lot more money.

In a nut shell a TM is a money making machine, with plenty appeal from both the public and operator alike.

It took people like Simon Gerrard, Dave Ingram, Lee Gundry, Gordon Williams,  Richie, etc etc ages to convince me, but I'm glad they did.
I hope to put another on the road asap.

Regards

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Karl Wildey

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2005, 04:56:22 pm »
Horses for courses,
I use a tm and portable, A tm is not the one and only machine you need, but it will clean faster and better than any portable, and I hope no one will argue with that, but you can't clean a sissal carpet or belgian wilton with a truck mount, you can't clean a carpet up a tower block after so many floor, you can't clean a carpet in a house when you can't park near that house either cos you can't park on the house side of the road or it is too far away and is not worth the hassle. If you can't clean with a tm you use a porable instead.
You can use a tm to do a large commercail jobs,  large houses etc, quicker and better than a portable. As most tm owners will tell you the hourly rate you make is far highjer than with a portable. Argue this you may, but all you argueing don't have a tm, do you.

Do not buy a tm if you can't afford it, or do not have a large client base, cos they are expensive, but they don't break down as often as portables and you don't have to replace the pumps and vacs every year, so big outlay, cheap running costs.
As for all those negative thoughts over the last 3 pages, I had all thoses before I pruchased, ie. dirty hoses, someone stealing the van, people tripping over hoses etc, has anyone every read a post on this site were one of those negative thoughts has happened. No, then maybe cos they don't.

Every been and quoted a massive job and never got it? Maybe one of the other quoters told the enquirer about his tm and its benefits againist a portable.
Worth thinking about,
No actually its not, please carry on using your portables, and .....................................................

GreenGlides

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2005, 05:17:29 pm »
Wow!
that was a good read.

I wonder, Do you have local No name TM builders in your area?

I would never buy a big name TM, (save maybe a used Vortex) as we had our 25/47 TM built for under $6K US and since currently 1 lb = $1.92 USD, that is already a sizeable chunk of dough.

I still think you could build a good basic machine with a mechanic friend.

How much would you pay for a 20-25hp motor?
a #4 blower?
2500 psi pump?
Silencer?
70 gal waste tank?
couplings, connectors and misc parts?
angle iron for frame?

GREENIE

mark_roberts

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2005, 05:29:36 pm »
Greenie

You yanks have it easy as far as truckmount pricing goes.

Over here there are no 'no name' buiders apart from a Mr Halliday :D

A Hydramaster Boxer will run to £14k/$25 for all the bells and whistles.

Petrol is 80p/$1.45 a litre.

Now you can see why there are so many portable users.

Mark

PS. maybe theres a gap in the market for a yank to import no name truckmounts for less £££.  Quality mounts of course.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2005, 05:41:20 pm »
I've got a petrol  and a diesel which both cost around £1200 to make, the problem is finding a cheap manufacture of tanks & hose reels.

Mark if you have the bane tanks & hoses you should make one, its easy and you won't regret it ;)

Mike

GreenGlides

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2005, 05:55:31 pm »
I think I like Mike already.  ;)

I've got pics of our mount, you are welcome to duplicate, if i can figure out how to post.  If I had a BANE I would most definitely be converting it to petro, you have all the basic componnets there, but i would add a Kunkle valve for the small 3.3 blower.

California Yank

GREENIE

Len Gribble

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2005, 08:52:50 pm »
Time to turn it around Steve W why did you buy the Ninja when say steemeasy at half the cost would produce the same results?

Most of the cleaning is done by the pre vac, pre-spray and agitation. The main part of the extraction process is to simply rinse the carpet clean and leave it as dry as possible. In my view I have never had a problem using my portable alongwith other accessories.

Waiting with anticipation.

Len

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2005, 09:32:06 pm »
I got the Ninja as my first machine - my introduction into carpet cleaning if you like. I accept that at this time my knowledge was limited as it is now. It may well be the case that I could have spent less on another machine and got the same result though I have never used the Steameasy to compare it's results with the Ninja.  Indeed I am learning each day (I suppose that goes for you too - or do you know it all now?). This is why I have been asking the questions re T/M to expand my knowledge.
Len - when we spoke over the phone last month, I asked you questions re T/M you were going to come and demonstrate the T/M to me but when I PM'd you with directions you didn't show. A pity butI'm sure you had good reasons so maybe another time.

I understand from reading these posts that all you T/M users feel that you have benefitted by using a T/M and have managed to obtain better results with one as well as increase your client base. It's good to hear these views because I have got them from the professionals such as yourselves rather than the salesmen.

Finally if any T/M users within a 100 mile radius of Canterbury are interested in some free help for the day I would be more than interested. I'd like to see a T/Min action. Also hope I haven't offended anybody  ;) 

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2005, 09:42:55 pm »
I love my truckmount i think it's great. but one of the things that is a bit annoying about it is the noise. i bet the neighbours get a little annoyed at times. but then it doesn't last long and maybe those neighbours will be intrigued rather than annoyed and call me in aswell.

Glynn

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2005, 10:26:45 pm »
Steve
Why not come to our SDO ?, there will be plenty of TMs running on real carpet.
Regards
Glynn

Dave_Lee

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2005, 10:33:18 pm »
Well put Glynn. Karl Ive got a small TM and clean loads of Belgian Wilton without problems as I know Glynn and other TM users do as a matter of routine,
Greenie sorry to nit pick, but over here LBs are weight, and £s is currency.
I too got shut of my Cheyanne 3 and my Pro Plus eventually when It dawned on me I no longer needed them.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Dave Parry

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2005, 10:36:34 pm »
Been reading this thread with interest. I started out with a ninja. After 18 months I had saved enough to buy a t/m (a boxxer). Since then (12 months) I have used the ninja once to clean carpets (used 3 or 4 times to dry clean curtains). I would now rather stay at home and watch bargain hunt than use my porty. Why, Because its faster, leaves carpets dryer, and impresses customers more than my ninja. I also use it on upholstery, where it is only slightly faster if at all, but does leave them dryer. I would not get rid of my porty at the moment as a sort of life line, just in case, but there really is no comparison. But if my all work was in a city centre or at a height capable of giving nose bleeds then a portable would be the way to go. Personally I would move.
Oh I used my porty because I could not find any way of getting the t/m in and the customer gives me lots of work, so didn't want to let them down. This is the only case i've had in the year I've had my t/m when I was unable to use it.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

GreenGlides

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2005, 10:46:36 pm »
£  Found it!  Alt+0163

Thanks.

I'll do better not to sound like such a Yank.

GREENIE

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2005, 12:26:18 am »
Dave,

Did i just read in 18 months f carpet cleaning you acheived enough profit to buy a truckmount outright

Congrats.

I better pull my finger out and get on with it .

Regrettably I do think whos got the best equipment , van etc makes a difference in getting some jobs.  Its not always lower price.

PaulCTS although your Eclipse is obviouisly a briiliant machine as far as customer is concerned its just a portable. True you have already sold her with your leaflet etc but you still another portable user. The pump sounds  massive

But Mike in past has said his Truckmount is no better than a good a portable, or was that before he did some mods ;D ;D ;D

cleaning co

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2005, 12:32:49 am »
shall we cut the crap here for gods sake !!   (PAUL) A PORTABLE IS NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS A TRUCK MOUNT FULL STOP .   
P.S THEY HAV BEEN MAKING PORTYS WITH HIGH PRESS PUMPS ETC FOR YEARS PAUL THE ECLIPSE THINY IS NOTHING NEW

GreenGlides

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2005, 12:35:06 am »
LOL

personally, I'll use a rag spinner (OP or Bonnet) if I can't TM it.

GREENIE

cleaning co

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2005, 12:50:37 am »
just read dave parrys posting  wow  he must be a cleaning god lol brought a truckmount out right in 18 months of starting out  :o   dave u must right a book about u would cleanup lol    it took me 5 years to buy a proper porty lol :o

Len Gribble

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2005, 06:58:43 am »
Steve

I did not receive the pm with the address, but still willing for you to have a go with the TM by the way I’m not into what’s is the best as far as I’m concerned it a tool the same as my porty/LM system they are there to make money.

Len

stevegunn

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2005, 07:49:17 am »
shall we cut the crap here for gods sake !!   (PAUL) A PORTABLE IS NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS A TRUCK MOUNT FULL STOP .   
P.S THEY HAV BEEN MAKING PORTYS WITH HIGH PRESS PUMPS ETC FOR YEARS PAUL THE ECLIPSE THINY IS NOTHING NEW

The eclipse offers 18" of lift compared to 14" on a prochem everest truckmount.FACT

cleaning co

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2005, 07:53:47 am »
well if thats a fact then every one who has paid £10,000 plus for a tm has been mugged och!!!  :o

Mike Halliday

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2005, 07:59:23 am »
is that at the machine or 100ft away through 1.5inch vac hose ::) I could continue typing and saying why Steve statement is totally misleading but we are all clever enough to know the science of lift & airflow ;)

and A t/m is'nt just about the vac power

Mike

stevegunn

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2005, 08:16:13 am »
These threads are becoming very boring t/m v porty we all know they both have their place in the market place, as do lm systems. But someone who has spent 10000 on a t/m would not admit to making a mistake in buying one. The same for a porty user trying to justify why they have not got a t/m. The likes of John Bolton, Derek Bolton and Ken Wainwright all use portables and have successful businesses have these fellas got it wrong??   

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2005, 08:27:19 am »
Len

I did not receive the pm with the address
Go to the cleantalk website and check you pm's

I think Steve Gunn has summed it well though - if at the end of the day we provide a professional service to the customer and are happy with our equipment  ;D then all is fine.

Len Gribble

« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2005, 09:15:21 am »
Steve

My apologises, that site doesn’t flag you, will keep an eye out in the future. But you are still welcome to have ago.

TM, are a very useful tool for flood work, that’s what paid for mine!

Anyway must go and dust off the Ninja got 3 days of commercial work, don’t you just love empty offices 2nd floor, could use TM but noise issue.

Len

paul@ctcs

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2005, 09:24:30 am »
Cleaning co,

You need to calm down mate!! Of course a TM has more power but 900 psi on tap and many carpets dry within the hour speaks for itself.

Paul

cleaning co

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2005, 10:37:53 am »
lol  blah blah lol ;D

paul@ctcs

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2005, 10:56:19 am »
Good reply ;D.................Not!!

cleaning co

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2005, 11:15:04 am »
lol  paul  shall we call it a day on this subject and be freinds? :D please hugs n cuddles ;)

paul@ctcs

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2005, 11:21:36 am »
Its a deal :-* :)

Paul

GreenGlides

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2005, 12:59:32 pm »
Ah yes....It's good to see the same endless banter goes on here as well as on the Yanks forums.

Green Yank
GREENIE

Mike Halliday

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2005, 02:40:42 pm »
Steve you're rght someone who has spent £11k on a T/M would'nt be so stupid to admit it  was a mistake,

but ;) ;) ;)

why would they then go and buy another one, then another and then another!!

some people are on thier 6th-7th truckmount, why did'nt they go back to portables.

this is my last post on this subject, like you say its getting boring
Mike

Dave Parry

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2005, 03:51:57 pm »
Buying outright is easy -- no holidays. Having posted about not using Ninja its just got an outing. My nephew froze his blazer t/m and borrowed it. Seems his extension lead got pulled out of the garage socket, only slightly but enough to cut the power. Luckily its just a gauge and engine sensor thats gone.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

david_green

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2005, 04:10:46 pm »
Hi

What about an accountant's perspective. Greater outlay and running cost must be justified not by how much more carpet can be cleaned but by how much the earning rate per hour is achieved.

I have noted truckmount users earning at £40 - 60 per hour this is also achievable with porty's.

The real point is: have truckmount users been able to increase their hourly rate when converting from portable????

David

paul_smith

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2005, 04:46:10 pm »
When coverting from truckmount from porty i assume you would increase your prices to reflect the better end result achieved by truckmounts,before you choke what i mean by that is that you would sell to custard at higher price telling him he will get a better result,whether he gets a better result is another subject.
Also if you can work faster with a truckmount you will increase your hourly rate,ie porty takes 2 hours to do job that truckmount takes 1.5 hours both charge £60.00 therefore truckmount operator has increased his hourly rate without any price hike.
Cheers Paul

david_green

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2005, 04:56:31 pm »
Paul

Sounds good in theory.

But

a. is that the actual experience of truckmount operators.

b. I find customers beginning to "choke" when hourly rate climbs much higher.

David.

mark_roberts

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2005, 04:59:23 pm »
I think some people are missing the point with truckmounts and even business for that matter.

A truckmount is a tool to make money and so is a portable.  If your cleaning 4 12x12 lounges in a day then theres no real benefit of a TM over a portable.  If your cleaning 5000sqft of carpet then the truckmount will be of massive benefit.  Also if your booked solid and having difficulty finding time then a truckmount will free up sometime each day.  If your making the money by being busy then the costs issues are not a concern.  If your only working a few days a week and only doing £600 of business a week then you shouldnt even be dreaming about a TM never mind buying one new or 2nd hand.

I hope I'm not out of order but Ken and Derek are not interested in growing their business at this stage of life and dont even advertise to get business so a truckmount is not in their business strategy and thats when they use portables but they are still successful.

You cant compare a portables performance with a truckmount.  The figures may be similar on paper but will be worlds apart at 150ft or more and the heat with a portable is not sustainable over long periods.

Mark

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2005, 05:10:26 pm »
I am looking forward to the end of March I can bring my Everest along and we can all compare.

mark_roberts

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2005, 05:12:06 pm »
Lee

I take it your from Prochem.

Any chance of bringing the entry level truckmount instead of the top line one?

Mark

GreenGlides

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2005, 05:17:13 pm »
Lee, you a Dist.?

PM me.

GreenYank
GREENIE

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2005, 05:27:55 pm »
I do work for Prochem, I will leave it up to the board which TM Blazer or Everest do you want me to bring, if the Apex is ready though I will bring that.

Mark Roberts

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2005, 05:40:24 pm »
Mark,

The most sensible reply so far.

You cant compare a portables performance with a truckmount.

The manufacturers figures will allways show there machine to be "the most powerfull" by giving just the Lift figure in H2O. This figure by its self means nothing. H2O,CFM and Air watts all play a masive part in a balanced system. Add the above together and introduce friction loss in tubes, length of hose, diameter of hose, type of wand and you start to see its quite complex. A well put together truckmount "system" will win every time on performance. But...
We all live in different area's and do different work from each other every day, the choice between porty vs truckmount is for the owner to decide when you have realised your needs. ;)

Mark

lee_gundry

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2005, 08:46:21 pm »
paul

when i changed from porty to tm i did not increase my prices,i could do the same job quicker & better with a tm so my prices stayed the same but my hourly rate increased.currently when using my single opperator truckmount prices for dommestic work is approx £100.00 -£120.00 per hour,when using my duel opperator truckmount in commercial with 2 wands running hourly rate is approx  £200-£300 per hour these figuars are while the machine is running not incl set up/travel times etc

Lee G
cumbria

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2005, 09:20:18 pm »
I'm curious to know what kind of average weekly turnover you TM users were on before deciding to convert.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2005, 09:48:05 pm »
Just imagine every week full, not one space or hour left working 6 days a week with working coming in all of the time but..... you only can do so much and as it averages out you only get the same wage another cleaner would be good but his wages would buy a TM.

Also look at it another way, when it's busy it's busy you have to turn work away, well you can fit more in with a TM and when it's quieter it's cheaper than having staff sat around, at Xmas it would pay itself with the extra work, and the average custy is so impressed without mentioning 'Marketing', it is done for you!

I had a Bane clene before my petrol, but with the pipes coming out of the van and the noise outside it created loads of 'street enquiries' that is when I really found out about referals, I was offering what was percieved to be different and also a better clean, so I got even more busy and it goes on and on.

Shaun   

Martin_Riley

« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2005, 10:22:24 pm »
And so say all of us (Truckmount users that is) ;D
Martin
Martin J Riley, Tiverton, Devon, NCCA, IICRC

dave washbrook

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2005, 10:28:42 pm »
just thought i would give my 2pennys worth, why is it that you only hear about porty users wanting to upgrade to a tm, and not tm wanting to change to a porty, reason being tm are not that bad after all and you certainly dont need to be earning mega bucks to own one just be positive

dave

david_green

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2005, 01:41:17 pm »
Hi

Very interesting response Shaun.

Would other truckmount operators go so far as to say that marketing is done for them or as good as.

I hate marketing even though I've been on fast track. I have to push myself every inch of the way. Having said that I had a good year last year, quiet now though. So you can see the appeal when someone says that by splashing out on truckmount my marketing problems are lessened. Apart from other benefits already noted.

David

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2005, 07:15:01 pm »
You can sell better when you have a TM there is a bigger appeal for you remember you are not offering the 'norm' so when you say that wil be £1 trillion to TM this carpet madam then they can see why!

Then word of mouth kicks in try this site

kingofclean.com/main.php3?primNavIndex=0&mainURL=%2Fcontentbuilder%2Flayout.php3%3FcontentPath%3Dcontent%2F00%2F01%2F21%2F03%2F86%2Fuserdirectory59.content

There used to be a better ad but this has just the same message.
Shaun

GreenGlides

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2005, 10:38:54 pm »
Except for the inaccuracies, the message is basically a good one.

Green Yank.
GREENIE

stevegunn

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2005, 08:30:37 am »

Bob Allen

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2005, 09:35:50 pm »
I too would like to see an entry level truck mount in action as so many of us portys are thinking of upgrading.
Bob Allen

JS2

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2005, 07:06:02 pm »
Hi Colleagues

How about safely fixing a higher-powered HWE portable, and 12V pump with water supply/drainage tanks, in the back of the van (with vac , solution and electric leads trailing) . . is that not a lower cost, acceptable specification truck mount with portable option?

Pete (JS2)

Chris R

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2005, 07:13:37 pm »
Pete, that already exists  ;D

http://www.cross-american.com/

Recoil comes with everything needed to Truck mount.

http://www.cross-american.com/equip.htm

Fresh Water Tanks - 40 gall - How many do you want?
Waste Tank - optional 40 gall
Water pump pick up is extendable, so just drop it into the fresh water tank.
Hose reels - 200ft
Vac booster for long hose runs - up to 200ft ?

Chris
Staffordshire

JS2

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2005, 07:19:11 pm »
Thanks Chris

It's worth a look at

Regards

Pete (JS2)

Liahona

« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2006, 09:50:41 pm »
As most of you know I am new to this site so have wandered around to see different subjects........Accordingly I am not going to say which one is better (i use both) as it has already been said.... My one point to make to the portable users is this....... If you know that a truck mount is a better machine and I am talking about as if you were using it, then why would you use the portable. That would make it by your own admission that you could actually get a better job if using a truck mount. After all we are in a service industry and to offer the best available shouldnt we be using the best machines available....... For the record and please note, superb results can be made with a portable and I understand and rightly so there are a few on here who have excellent businesses using a portable, however.......... If those same people were using a truck mount ............
................., best, Dave..... P.S. I would be happy to clean with someone looking to see the benefits of a truck mount......

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:43 pm »
wow that took some reading  ;D ive been cleaning with a extrata ex. for years and find it hard to lifted the things around being a woman and only being 5ft tall so im looking into a t.m.

ive heard all the storys over the years and have seen loads of demos but i think the only way is too use one , or have aday cleaning with somebody thats got one , even if you have to travel to spend aday with that person which after the xmas rush i maybe on the lug to spend aday with someone if they will let me

Steve Chapman

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2006, 09:52:20 pm »
Hi,

I 've just changed form using the extracta excel (which i think is a pretty good machine) for a  t/m and after being a skeptic for about 12 years i can honestly say i'm blown away by how good it is :o

you really don't know until you use one, and to really appreciate it , it's taken me about two months to get used to,  but now i cant wait to get up in the morning to use it 8)

is that sad or what?

regards
steve

Liahona

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2006, 09:54:11 pm »
I dont mind anyone spending a day with me to see how it is a truck mount works. However not knowing your name or where you are from it might prove difficult for this to actually happen as we dont know where you are. Best, Dave.

colin thomas

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2006, 10:17:59 pm »
hi 1st clean, i might have a truck-mount for sale, i am 'daan saaf' but if interested in a day out working, post your e-mail address to make contact.
cbt
colin thomas

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2006, 10:29:11 pm »
just as a matter of interest what TM have you got Colin?

Shaun

NigelD

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2006, 12:46:22 am »
Took delivery of my truckmount last week.

Did a job today that was last done 15 months ago with a portable.

Finished 3 hours earlier today.

I don't knock portables, there are times when they are the only solution. But a truckmount does deliver huge benefits, they also cost. So if you are busy and can use the extra time think about it with an open mind.

Nigel

cleaning co

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2006, 12:53:36 am »
truckmounts hav thier place in this industry , but if u only do domestics u be mad to buy one

carpetclean

« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2006, 07:33:31 am »
truckmounts have  their place in this industry , but if u only do domestics u be mad to buy one
looks like i must be completely bonkers then !?
I have a t/m after starting with a porty i soon upgraded to a t/m with no regrets . i have turned down one job in a high rise all the other jobs i get around them one way or another.
i have done a few commercials even low profile which the clients could not believe after low moisture systems being used for years. one hotel i had to dry sponge but it would have been the same with a porty as this was the requirement.
people mention that clients do not ask for truck mounts this is true on the whole but i have had people ask me because i have a t/m and as far as being impressed with various porties once they see a t/m its the ultimate impression.
i am not saying the t/m will do a better job than a man who cares with a porty as i am sure all you professionals out there will do a lovely job and pass the white towel test after the clean as i always show the client the white towel test. but a t/m is a matter of choice, and it does make life easier . it does allow you to do a FILTHY  job much quicker than ANY  porty i should know as i have had almost all of them .
Regarding parking i have had this week three problems.
the first one was parking restrictions where the man phoned the council and they suspended parking for the day so i could clean the carpets i had a nice 25ft space for me to pull up to.
The next one the woman again phoned the council to get special permission to park on a double yellow which was granted.
the third i  double parked  because of the amount of parked cars for the last 30 minutes whilst i extracted saying i was doing flood work to the traffic warden.

The noise of the machine also helps as it attracts people who then take a card and ask for quotes
but one of the main factors i am finding is that people who are eco friendly conscious like the idea of all the waste being put on the van with nothing put down the loo or sink. where i live its a very fast growing  market and these people will pay above the norm so this alone is well worth  the investment.
As I have hopefully said this is not about porty v t/m but personal choice and the direction you want to take. There are some good portables on the market but i choose to have a t/m because  it suits me and what I want to offer.

NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

cleaning co

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:12 am »
yes just what i said they hav there place,  but for me only doing 2-3 jobs all domestic a tm prty setup is fine for me the only diff is i hav to plug in two plugs and yes i dont hav as much power as a petrol truckmount but never felt i need anymore, if i brouhgt a petrol truckmount for me my profits would go down big time ,cost of truckmount,biggervan, etc etc   but i agree if u want to take your cleaning firm to next level and think u can get there then truckmount would be next step up, but not for me iam happy at stage i am after 12 years i hav seen how hard it is in this game to get to that next level 8)
gary

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2006, 10:04:24 am »
I do 90% domestic and use a TM, it replaces an employee I used to have and I turnover the same amount of money and am better off for it.

Shaun

cleaning co

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2006, 10:54:55 am »
yes but if u had kept your emp u would hav been down unless u got more work yes ?

DanielWelford

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2006, 12:32:06 pm »
Just out of interest could you tm boys just answer the following for me:

1. What do you do if you cant park right outside the custys address?

2. Is there any security issues with your van being wide open?

I am seriously considering upgrading, it is these points that are putting me off.

Thanks Dan

Chris R

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2006, 02:52:10 pm »

I am seriously considering upgrading, it is these points that are putting me off.

Thanks Dan

Get the portable out

All doors are locked, only the side door is open. the truckmount fills this space, no way past. Only a fool would try to climb over a running truckmount.

I have had my truckmount since May. Used the porty twice since then. Turned down one job in a block of flats. Apart from that, no problems with access.

Once or twice I have asked customers to move cars so I can park outside.

regards
Chris
Staffordshire

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2006, 03:05:36 pm »
 had 2 electric machines got rid of employee bought a petrol tm and did same amount of turnover as 2.

Lot more profit

Shaun

gwrightson

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2006, 03:15:03 pm »
Carpetclean. I am a little puzzled as to your statement

"but one of the main factors i am finding is that people who are eco friendly conscious like the idea of all the waste being put on the van with nothing put down the loo or sink."

if this is true , Where the hell do they think you are putting it? or are you indeed paying for a waste disposal licence to dump at your local where ever?
some how i doubt it :)
or do they just think its ok because it aint on my door step, now I wouldnt say that was a very eco friendly attitude.
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Len Gribble

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2006, 05:34:05 pm »
It’s a tool but a preferred one and it also dose commercials subject to site appraisal = more efficient = equates to tm (time/motion)

Dan

Only you know your market (logistics/parking) don’t be afraid to ask customer to move. Never had a problem with security most of the time all four doors open (rain three are closed)

Shaun

You greedy git. ;D ;D

Len

Phil Marlor

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2006, 06:05:14 pm »

[

Thanks Dan

I have had 1 job since March I couldn't do and I didn't want it anyway! You will have at least 200 ft of hose, that goes a long way!

No, most of the time you will be on the customers drive, I often ask the customer to move their cars, no-one is going to steal anything, the machine is bolted to the floor and they wouldn't want anything else, I had my cab sectioned off from the rest of the van and lock it, its not an issue, honest.

Gary, you are talking nonsence again, I could never go back to a portable, even if you dont make more money (which you do) life is much easier with a TM.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

PaulKing

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2006, 06:41:58 pm »
How many people commenting on this have actually owned and used used a TM for a extended period?

Very few people switch back to portables after owing and using a TM machine, and that I think says it all.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

carpetclean

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2006, 07:29:41 pm »
Carpetclean. I am a little puzzled as to your statement

"but one of the main factors i am finding is that people who are eco friendly conscious like the idea of all the waste being put on the van with nothing put down the loo or sink."

if this is true , Where the hell do they think you are putting it? or are you indeed paying for a waste disposal licence to dump at your local where ever?
some how i doubt it :)
or do they just think its ok because it aint on my door step, now I wouldnt say that was a very eco friendly attitude.
Geoff

maybe i did not explain myself properly but what i meant to say was not down the customers loo or toilet !!!!!
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

carpetclean

« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2006, 07:33:14 pm »

Thanks Dan

1  as i explained in a previous post there are  ways around this
2 security is not an issue as i lock the cab doors so unless someone is stealing chemicals
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2006, 07:36:33 am »
why do you leave the doors open apart from getting the pipe out  ? does it need the air to keep the truck mount cool ?

ive spook to my hubby who as his own spay shop and he as told me it will be a very easy job to make a small trap door in a rear door to poke the pipe out of and it wont look out of sight when painted and signed over would this work ?? 

sorry for being a pain just need to find out these things   :P

Liahona

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2006, 08:18:23 am »
I feel it is not if the customer is happy or not with the work we do but rather are we happy? When I clean I leave the textile cleaned to the best that this industry has to offer. If I used any other system other than a truck mount (in normal situations) this would not be the case. If people were honest however good they think they are, I am sure they know they would get a better result if they were to use a truck mount. Why do you think when it comes to clean offs that portables arent there and neither are any dry systems. Having said that, I did do one where a dry system user turned up but very quickly decided not to be involved.Best, Dave.

the red carpet

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2006, 10:53:49 pm »
1st clean, basically yes it will over heat

If hes really handy, and security is a issue you could get him to make a lockable metal grill/door, that could be locked but still let the air in whilst keeping anyone else out.

BRSL

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2006, 11:07:28 pm »
Hydramster have fitted a couple of machines now that can be completely shut, fitted cooling units to the roof and fitted a hatch in floor very impressive and quiet, as for what when you cant get van close throw a couple more hoses on  ;)

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Jeremy

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:34 am »
I assume that all the TM owners also have Porty's. I only use Porty's when I can't get access with the TM or when I have to split the teams up for different jobs (only have one TM).

Having said this, I get very nervous when the porty's are onsite as I become very, very aware of the cleaning ability of the TM compared to the Porty.

From a security aspect. I live in Cape Town and security is a huge concern. for this reason, I had a trailer built so that I could lock my van (Also couldn't fit my Everest into the van).

Bottom line is that you still need Porty's with a TM. There is always a job that you may have to turn down because of access otherwise

« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2006, 12:58:44 pm »
James,

Have you any images of the Hydramaster vans with clased doors and cooling units.

DAz

BRSL

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2006, 03:40:18 pm »
Darren

try asking Gly as he took loads of photo's of the Hydramaster open day, they had one there on display in the workshop.

James
W - www.brsl.co.nz
E - james@brsl.co.nz

Kind regards James C

Len Gribble

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2006, 01:36:41 am »
Jeremy

(I assume that all the TM owners also have Porty's.)  Not the ones, who pass me, work! Don’t think they like money, or they maybe a snob. ;D

Len

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2006, 07:05:51 pm »
I have a TM now after using a Porty for 15years!  I still use the porty.... well my guy who helps me does all the niggely jobs with the Porty living in London you can have a few problems, but the tm blows the porty away speed wise its just soooo fast and dry (if you use it properely).

My next machine will be a TM also but in my area there will allways be a use for my beloved Steampro (arrrrhhhhh i hear you all say) ;D

Nick
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Steve Chapman

« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »
yesterday i had to use my porty for the first time since i got the t/m two months ago, and to be honest i'd forgot how much i loved using it :)

Obviously there's no comparison in power or effectiveness to the t/m and wouldn't give it up for anything ;D

But armed with them both i feel adequately tooled up for any job, there will always be one you cant do with the t/m but if you have the porty on  board it's never gonna be a problem ;)

regards
steve

gwrightson

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:17 pm »
i think this has ventured onto the "i have a t/m , i am better brigade"
shouldnt you all be boasting on the t/m board :)
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Steve Chapman

« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2006, 11:44:55 pm »
for the record, i don't think having a t/m is a necessity to run a successful business and think many will be happy to carry on using their portable if that does the job for them!

The point of my comments was to say i don't think portys are rubbish just because i own a t/m now, in some cases they are still more ideal,

e.g I do some work inside prisons and a t/m in a vehicle is not allowed for security reasons so i am forced to do the job with the porty which i'm happy to do,

still earning me money ;)

still can't deny the fact that they are so mouch more powerful tho ;)

regards
steve

david holland

« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2006, 05:25:25 am »
whats a truckmount ?

« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2006, 09:23:05 am »
Its the machine that's at the end of your hose Dave.
You know the one you use on Channel 4's How Clean Is Your House.

Tut Tut  ::)

Now get out of that  ::)

P.S Did you sell your 3.2 you had for sale a while back

david holland

« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2006, 03:02:39 pm »
hi Dave , hope your well - oh is that the technical name for them - only known them as a "GOB & SUCK" !!!

cleaning co

« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2006, 03:09:19 pm »
thought a truck was another term for lorry ? so how many of u truckmountes drive a lorry then?  lol u just bigging yoursels up lol

john rees

« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2006, 08:31:51 am »
don't buy one! terrible waste of time and money!I bought one to save me time so I could spend more time with my daughter as I'm a single dad, but it brought in too much work, then I ended up buying another one and having to employ someone too! it's a hard life! ;D

All the best
                                                                     John
john

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2006, 10:06:12 am »
 ;D
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2006, 06:30:23 pm »
Going T/M in 2007 and can't wait
after using a porty for a few years, i feel now is the right time to up grade
i've done the sums with my accountant and we both feel that this move will significantly improve my bottom line profits as well as increase capacity
so roll on 2007 and 

Happy Xmas Everyone

Phil Marlor

« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2006, 06:46:24 pm »

What you buying Colin?
You wont regret it!

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2006, 08:56:09 am »
a blueline  thermal wave2 from Alltec
had some excellent feedback on these machines from people in know well who have bought one

NigelD

« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2006, 11:09:11 pm »
Colin

I looked at the Blue Line machines. Out out of my price range unfortunately.

They certainly look very good. I can tell you the support from Chris and the guys at Alltec is superb. My comments based on a portable.

Nigel

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2006, 10:44:15 am »
for safety i would do this
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34:48 pm »
for safety i would do this

why? what's safe about putting the pipes through the door?

leave the doors wide open so the machine stays nice & cool and the exhaust fumes can escape.

Mike

steve cardy

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2006, 02:13:50 pm »
There might be a small build up of carbon monoxide me thinks :-\ :-\ :-\

Derek_Walker

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2006, 07:35:15 pm »
The truckmount that you cannot see in the picture is probably connected to the vans engine via direct drive, so no fumes in the van. I would not want to try that with a slide in unless exhaust is vented through floor or the company was called suicide cleaning services with a large turnover of staff ;D ;D

mark_roberts

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2006, 11:19:41 pm »
Somebody somewhere should make a wire mesh gate device for side loading doors for people too afraid of buying a Tm and leaving the door open.

I may even buy one too for the few occasions I would feel it necessary to use.

Mark

BTW - hydramaster have some sort of fan available for the roof so that the door can be closed.