Simon Gerrard

Job on a ship in Southampton
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
We've got a very big job to do on a cruise ship in Southampton at the beginning of January and need to clean up to 200 cabin carpets and some public rooms, so we are looking for guy's that can supply a 2 man team, portable machine, minimum 135psi 3 stage vac, but preferably twin vac, (no Scorpions or Jaguars, too much amperage for the ships circuits) stainless steel pre-spray tank or similar and be able to work to a high standard, but quickly. You would need to clean around 20 cabins per team, starting first thing and be completed by around 2.00pm.
Anyone interested email me with a price:
simon@gerrardscarpetcleaners.co.uk

Simon

Now sorted, no more required thanks

Colin Day

Re: Job on a ship in Southampton
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »
Shame, I am available... but I have a Jag.... :(

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Why don't you give Enterprise a ring? £10 a room.... ;)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »
Colin,
I've got two portables of my own to crew so you can give me a price for two men if you want.

Simon

Liz Baker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
We have a craftex maxi, if thats any good, and we have a two man team available, please let me now how much your prepared to pay.  ;) ;D boatmancleaning@hotmail.co.uk
Liz Baker

"Here to Serve, Here to Clean"

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
Wouldnt people want to know how big the cabins are to give a price? Just a thought.

Mark

Simon Gerrard

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »
I should have mentioned, this ship has had norovirus outbreak recently, hence the big clean up operation.
Also, all chemicals will be supplied.

Simon

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:02:31 pm »
could take my stem genie and the RX20 if you want?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »
Only trouble with emailing a price is that it becomes a Dutch Auction or a bit like when you get email enquiries from customers perhaps offering a price to cleaners you can work to your budget and if both parties agree then nobody feels that they are getting ripped off.

Shaun

Shaun

Andy Foster

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:26 pm »
Love to Simon but I am a bit far away!

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:25:06 pm »
so what are the dates and how long you exxpect it to take? What you paying? mick@thecarpetcleaningpro.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:18 pm »
Only trouble with emailing a price is that it becomes a Dutch Auction or a bit like when you get email enquiries from customers perhaps offering a price to cleaners you can work to your budget and if both parties agree then nobody feels that they are getting ripped off.

Shaun

Shaun
It's no different than any client asking you for a price to do a job, surely.

Simon

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »
The price I supplied took into consideration the 'F' about factor experienced during the CLEAN job earlier in the year.
Sat around on the quay side at some obscene hour of the morning for ages, form filling to be completed, H&S and the rest of hassle factor that comes with doing such projects. Not forgetting the speed you have to work at to complete the task.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »
If I remember it was £500 for the day but it all depends on what's in the job obviously Simon may have his own workings out.

Shaun

Craigp

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
Yeah that's right Shaun, when I did it about three years ago??? with CLEAN

That was per two man team with one portable, all chems where supplied.

It was a ball ache day though!

Think it's best to set a price then everyone gets the same - it's fairer.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »
Things are a bit different on my jobs, I know what I'm doing >:(
My way of doing things everyone gets what they want, not what they are given ;)

davep

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
Can imagine the scene with different people getting different fees, straight overboard!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:48 pm »
Dave,
But everyone is getting what they asked for, just like any other job.

Simon

davep

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
Just seems dodgy surroundings for carpet cleaners to be fighting, man overboard ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »
No problem, we chain the buggers to their machine so they can't leave the job ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »
Once caught the Monster in law out with this one, "In the book and film Mutiny on the Bounty what did they call the ship?" her answer "Mutiny"

If you keep them confused they may shout Mutiny but you'll get the bounty!

Shaun

CATMAN

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:12 am »
Hard to believe what is being proposed.

It's like a price shopper ringing round for the cheapest quotes.

Why not state the price you  have in mind. Then let people decide if they can work to it

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
Well don't volunteer yourself then.....

If you don't like the rules..... don't play the game

;D ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 11:32:22 am »
Me and Neil47 will do it for £800.... (2 of Helston best and most experienced Carpet Cleaners.... ;))

(Sorry Neil, I never thought of asking you first.... ;D)

MAX Carpets

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
Neil if you need a 2nd man, I'll come along for the ride. I cant offer as the T/M is not required.

Cheers

Justin

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »
Hard to believe what is being proposed.

It's like a price shopper ringing round for the cheapest quotes.

Why not state the price you  have in mind. Then let people decide if they can work to it

So how do you go on when a customer rings you for a quote, do you ask them to tell you how much, or do you tell them how much you want to do the job. I'm the customer and I'm looking for quotes, full stop. Can't believe it is a hardship to anyone. ???

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
I actually agree with the sentiment, having lots of bodies on different prices is crazy.

Its a bit different from a single enquiry, you are inviting 'quotes' from lots of experienced CC, geographically prices are bound to differ, for instance you could not afford me  ;D

You should set the price for example; £XXXX per hour or day or per cabin, simple as that...As i understand you are very experienced in this type of work so you would know what to expect, both in terms of price and the time spent per cabin.

You will get plenty apply, should be a bit of fun, unless cleaners find out they are working along somebody else on more money for the same work  :'(

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »
Hilton,
As you say I'm very experienced in these matters and I can tell you that imposing a price on people and having some do the job begrudgingly is not the way to go, not when you're expecting top class work delivered on time. Everybody names their price knowing that others have done the same, if some are getting more than others, that's just the way it is, buy everyone has named their price so their can be no arguments. Simples.

Simon

Hilton

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
I dont understand why they would be doing it begrudgingly, if you set the price and conditions then everyone is clear from the outset. 

I think you will find that a team might become less attentive to detail once they find out they are doing it for less than another team.

Just my thoughts, good luck with it  ;)

mike roberts

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »
Hilton,
As you say I'm very experienced in these matters and I can tell you that imposing a price on people and having some do the job begrudgingly is not the way to go, not when you're expecting top class work delivered on time. Everybody names their price knowing that others have done the same, if some are getting more than others, that's just the way it is, buy everyone has named their price so their can be no arguments. Simples.

Simon

mmmmm... sounds fun!

Simon your very experienced which is great, just know in other sectors of cleaning just would not work ! We have done similar with a largggee exterior clean with guys I know gave price / m2 required per day -  then upto guys to accept ... all on same playing field excuse pun ;D

Interested.... In how you sell this to the customer  ???

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
Thanks guy's I've now got what we need.
Thanks to all of you have emailed you we will get back to you once we've sorted the clients exact requirements which are changing by the day.
Didn't realise it would be such a bruising encounter trying to fix people up with some work, but hey ho ;D

Simon

jasonl

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »
Not knocking it , portables cleaning potentially novovirus infected areas, would they not need the vac exhaust venting to outside to prevent contaminated air being blown around . Obviously some kind of anti microbial will be used ?

Does the customer insist on clearance testing as it the case when I carry out this work in medical environments? 

THis kind of job sounds like a TM one if that was at all practicable.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »
Jason,
TM just isn't practicle, the ship is 900 feet long and the job is on ever one of ten decks, a TM would be a nightmare.
Accept the the pitfalls of parties but Port Health approve it.

Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
I would genuinely like to thank Simon for offering the work. The distance would be my expense and obviously I'd need to ask for enough money to cover it.

If I was in S/Hampton, I'd have been all over this sort of work at a reasonable price, suitable for me, my GDB and of course, Simon...

Thanks again Simon... :)

jasonl

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »
Jason,
TM just isn't practicle, the ship is 900 feet long and the job is on ever one of ten decks, a TM would be a nightmare.
Accept the the pitfalls of parties but Port Health approve it.

Simon

I was just curious thats all , no wonder that in the past they have had to clean 2 or 3 times over .  This is not a reflection on you or any other cleaner , it is the people writing the job spec who seem to have a lack of knowledge of methods and products available, if the best solution they have is porties . 
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »
Jason,
The best solution is anti viral agents that are presprayed onto the carpet first, that is why they accept, even specify extraction cleaning even with portables. These jobs are done to their specificatiion, not ours, otherwise they won't let the ship sail.

Simon

derek west

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »
personally would of loved to go down to see how its done but aint got a porty, think this is the first time i've ever wanted one ;D

massive learning curve for ship 1st timers and a head start on your new years diet if you catch a bit of nora ;D

Andy Foster

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »
I would genuinely like to thank Simon for offering the work. The distance would be my expense and obviously I'd need to ask for enough money to cover it.

If I was in S/Hampton, I'd have been all over this sort of work at a reasonable price, suitable for me, my GDB and of course, Simon...

Thanks again Simon... :)

I echo these remarks. Thanks for the opportunity Simon.

Andy

Craigp

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
Creeps!

;D ;D ;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »
Theoretically you should not work in another public place, including customers homes etc  for at least 48 hours afterwards. Norovirus is a very virulent and particularly unpleasant illness.

Also worth considering the time it will take after the clean for your gear to be cleaned, before taking into other customers homes
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
Theoretically you should not work in another public place, including customers homes etc  for at least 48 hours afterwards. Norovirus is a very virulent and particularly unpleasant illness.

Also worth considering the time it will take after the clean for your gear to be cleaned, before taking into other customers homes

This is what I was hinting at , clearly the operators of the ship , nor the cleaning teams know the risks involved , if they did things would be different .

This is far more than a cleaning issue, it is a decontamination issue , with the carpeting being one aspect of the job . I would recommend  not to use any equipment on another job after this one,  until it has been properly decontaminated .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

wynne jones

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »
Sounds like a good crack and you are likely to get paid too.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Colin Day

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »
Creeps!

;D ;D ;D

If only I was a creep when I was in the Navy.... I'd have made it to Warrant Officer..... ;D ;D ;D

Craigp

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:07 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
Simon are you paying on completion or when you get paid ?

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »
Two bods, one machine, one gofa say 9am start... pack up 1.30  20 cabins no breaks
making each cabin 13.5 mins. Not taking into account passengers still in cabins/quarantine, other contractors fogging cabins etc

Don't forget vapour masks cleansan and continental power adaptors if req.

But I'm sure Simon has this covered with his experience ;D
"So basically its a big vax!"

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:12 pm »

I hope so because back in 2010 he wrote this:
Boudicca has had problems with Noro Virus lately and this mass clean might be something to do with that. If so, I would urge everyone involved to make sure that they wash all of their clothing and scrub themselves down very thoroughly indeed. And wash down all equipment used on the ship before taking into another customers house. Theoretically you should not work in another public place, including customers homes etc  for at least 48 hours afterwards. Norovirus is a very virulent and particularly unpleasant illness.

And Glynn wrote this:
I hope you exhausted every portable's vacuum outlet to outside atmosphere !, otherwise youv'e just made all the germs airborne again.
This is where Truckmounts win over because they vent to fresh outside air. Same with decontaminating hospitals after an outbreak, you must not exhaust spent germ ridden air back into the building.

Like Simon says theres more to these jobs than you think and a particular way of operating.

The rest is on this thread from 2010 if anyone is interested
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=90314.120

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »
I'll tell you what guy's, this is the last time I will ever try to spread work amongst colleagues on here.
All I've got in return is a bunch of know it all's either telling me how to run my business, or cast doubt on my ability to carry out a job I have been doing for twenty years, without incident, I might add.
I put the same post on Truckmounters and strangely it hasn't been greeted with the same hostility. ;D

Simon

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »
Might be coz you own the Truckmounters forum.

You would have had no trouble on the LM forum either mate...

It is these porty owners.....   :P :P :P :P

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »
Oh come on Simon, no need to throw your teddies out the pram.
At the end of the day you can't spend 51 weeks of the year telling us all about the titan and it's the be all and end all of carpet cleaning (which I'm not going to dispute) then request the help of 20 carpet cleaners to use twin vac porties on a prestigous (sp) job.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 06:29:56 pm »
Simon is right he has been ridiculed but there's a lot negativity around the forum, on saying that in previous posts Simon has said his beliefs then others also should be able to.

Come on lets get things back on track.

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »
Totally agree with that, Shaun. Trouble is this wasn't a discussion in the true sense of the word, just the desire to spread some spare work around, more fool me. :'(

Simon

Paul Moss

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »
I agree, Simon there is no need to abandon ship as your posts are normally above board.If it was rear Admiral Glynn making the points then I would say he had gone adrift, and I would shout to him ahoy.
At the moment Simon needs all hands on deck for this job which needs to be carried out ashore as quick as possible. Therefore the reply coming back should be aye aye captain ;) and not to batten down the hatches. I for one wish him tally ho and say dont worry too much mate as I dont think they harbour a grudge  ;D ;)

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »
but forgetting the negativity for a moment Simon.....

You did get the required number of people ..... so not everyone on here is negative...

;D ;D

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:49 pm »
I agree, Simon there is no need to abandon ship as your posts are normally above board.If it was rear Admiral Glynn making the points then I would say he had gone adrift, and I would shout to him ahoy.
At the moment Simon needs all hands on deck for this job which needs to be carried out ashore as quick as possible. Therefore the reply coming back should be aye aye captain ;) and not to batten down the hatches. I for one wish him tally ho and say dont worry too much mate as I dont think they harbour a grudge  ;D ;)

have you become a ad writer all of a sudden Paul ??

;D ;D

jasonl

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »

Boudicca has had problems with Noro Virus lately and this mass clean might be something to do with that. If so, I would urge everyone involved to make sure that they wash all of their clothing and scrub themselves down very thoroughly indeed. And wash down all equipment used on the ship before taking into another customers house. Theoretically you should not work in another public place, including customers homes etc  for at least 48 hours afterwards. Norovirus is a very virulent and particularly unpleasant illness.

And Glynn wrote this:
I hope you exhausted every portable's vacuum outlet to outside atmosphere !, otherwise youv'e just made all the germs airborne again.
This is where Truckmounts win over because they vent to fresh outside air. Same with decontaminating hospitals after an outbreak, you must not exhaust spent germ ridden air back into the building.

Like Simon says theres more to these jobs than you think and a particular way of operating.

Exactly what I was getting at.

Fair play for giving out work , I do too , and the payment does not come to me very quickly  at all resulting in bad feeling , best to just gear up and do it yourself if you can , HSS hire portables with the spec you want .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

elliott cleaning

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 06:51:11 pm »

.............I put the same post on Truckmounters and strangely it hasn't been greeted with the same hostility. ;D

Simon

I guess, predominantly a different ilk of membership, Simon

Paul Moss

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2011, 06:54:09 pm »
I bet thats taken the wind out of your sails :D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:40 pm »

And Glynn wrote this:

Neil,
The problem with that job was there was an unusually high re-infection rate from  one cruise to another and that was down to how the initial outbreak was dealt with, which I assure you is way more in depth than just cleaning the carpets. I can't go into details but certain parts of the procedures were lacking in their depth and scope and hence the problem. To suggest, as you seem to be, that I was intimating that the mass clean up was the problem is misleading and out of context.

What most people don't realise is that when a passenger becomes ill a very wide ranging and thorough procedure is instigated by the ships staff. (watch Mighty Ships, Queen Mary 2 to see this in action) Their focus, as is ours in the small part we play in the overal scheme of things is to safeguard the health and well-being of every passenger, many of whom are on a trip of a lifetime, for which they have saved for years. By the time a ship returns to its home port the situation has already been dealt with and contained, as best these things can, even so, yet another cleaning and santising operation begins, which at this stage is more precautionary than a fight to manage an out of control situation that has raged out of control for the duration of the cruise.
Like you say, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Simon

craignozza

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »
 Hi simon Im only in brighton if you hav'nt already found somebody id be up for it subject to price cheers craig office@sussexsurfacerestoration.co.uk 

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
Wonder if Billy has a porty (hello Sailor)

Shaun

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »
To suggest, as you seem to be, that I was intimating that the mass clean up was the problem is misleading and out of context.

No I wasn't doing that. I just remembered the comments that appeared on here because porties were going to be used on a ship that had had an virus going around it. 12 months later and it appears to me that the same methods that 'weren't' good enough that time are now suitable.

Simon, I have no gripe with you and am pleased to be associated with someone who has the task of dealing with these mamouth monumental jobs. I submitted my price to you and you thought it too high, which again I seriously don't have a problem with, it's your job and you make the calls on it....fair enough, I would do the same.

But please in future don't rubbish those using porties or LM when you are happy to use these machines on what can only be described as prime jobs, which would be far more suited to triple vac machines/TM's.

:-* Neil

Helen

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2011, 08:19:40 pm »

.............I put the same post on Truckmounters and strangely it hasn't been greeted with the same hostility. ;D

Simon

I guess, predominantly a different ilk of membership, Simon

Yes certainly an arrogant different ilk aren't you lot........but lets not go there eh?

elliott cleaning

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »
Where does arrogance come into the equation, Helen?

Most on Truckmounters also have other types of machinery available to them, so no different than members on here

Why not join Tmounters and see for yourself how the discussions work on that board :-*

mike roberts

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »
Sorry but no. Clicky or what >:(

I simply questioned the method / logic of paying workers different rates, I was under the impression this was a forum ??? Other users have questioned the same + more.

Looking at Simons previous posts ... why is that so bad  ??? ??? Simon never questions anything  ;D ;D  please..

We all know Simon / Jason will never see eye to eye... But please you have to accept some questions is your going to make a post like that.

Why did the administrators not move this from this section to the Cleaning contracts / business leads section  ??? ..............I wonder

Paul Moss

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »
Mike give it a wide birth or Simon may take you over the yard arm :)

elliott cleaning

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
Paul is obviously on a nautical roll with his posts

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:33 pm »
he seems all at sea to me

mike roberts

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

Wow... suggest everyone making comments reads this old post  ;D ;D ;D

Simon please read some of your comments...   :o

Well done Neil

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »
Neil,
But please in future don't rubbish those using porties or LM when you are happy to use these machines on what can only be described as prime jobs, which would be far more suited to triple vac machines/TM's.

I don't know where you have got all of this from. The preferable option in these situations is to use a TM, but when you have Liner of 1,000 feet long with 15 decks and cabins dotted all over the place they just are not a viable option. We have used portable machines on ship for as long as I have been doing them, but only when we have to for purely operational reasons.
I would also point out that like most TM owners the roots of my business were planted using portable machines, so again I think you are just twisting my past comments to make some sort of gripe.
Apart from that, I think you're a very nice man. ;D

Simon

Craigp

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »
Its in the offing.

Colin should know that one.. :D

Paul Moss

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:03 pm »
Becareful Simon may have a press gang if he cant get enough volenteers

Paul Heath

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »
At the end of the day...those that want the job put in a quote....those that don't leave it....simples ::)

wynne jones

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »
I may be sailing close to the wind but this type of work isn't plain sailing. Simon has done all the fathoming out and knows the ropes and won't hire a loose canon leaving him high and dry.

Right I'm off to batten down the hatches before you make me walk the plank!

Jim_77

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2011, 09:45:25 pm »
Mossy, shut up and get back to what you're good at - go and roger the cabin boy ;)

derek west

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2011, 09:49:26 pm »
sussed it, paul went to a fancy dress party dressed as one of the YMCA and wouldn't tell me which one, judging by the jargon its all fitting in to place.

it was the indian wasn't it ;D

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2011, 09:55:10 pm »
Having done some research on ships due to dock in Southampton next week I can now announce it is The Flying Dutchman captained by Davy Jones

Prepare to sell your souls all those who go onboard ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »
This thread is going down the chunder box  :D

Jim_77

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
Oh shut up you w-anchor !!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:07 pm »
Some of you need to Funnel your energies elsewhere and stop blowing off steam ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »
 ;D

Simon Moat

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2011, 10:08:15 pm »
Sorry Neil, your wrong.

It's 'The Black Pig' whose top man is Captain Pugwash.

Be careful, never mind the virus, you'll have to watch out for Seaman Stains.

There's one for the kids!

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:37 pm »
From a passenger cruise ship, everyone can see a bearded man on a small island who is shouting and desperately waving his hands. "Who is it?" a passenger asks the captain. The cruise ship captain replied, "I've no idea. Every year when we pass, he goes nuts." ;D ;D ::)

Paul Moss

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »
Thats Billy  ;D wondered where he went  :o

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
Mossy, shut up and get back to what you're good at - go and roger the cabin boy ;)

Excuse me!!!!!! :o

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:07 pm »
I didn't know you were a cabin boy, Roger?!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »
Watch out Jim he's ships Dr and a swig of rum and you'll end up with your leg off!

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

PaulKing

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2011, 09:38:34 am »
Simons right he's getting a kicking for passing out work ( and however much he makes on it, thats your look out) If Southampton wasn't a 7 hour drive I'd think about it as well, not like january is the busiest month.

Beside I think he has a certain "Aurora" about him, http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Aurora/Ship-Webcams/

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
simon i may have to offer my services i am getting cabin fever stuck in doors with the in laws mfor the last week

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2011, 11:50:55 am »
Simons right he's getting a kicking for passing out work ( and however much he makes on it, thats your look out) If Southampton wasn't a 7 hour drive I'd think about it as well, not like january is the busiest month.

Beside I think he has a certain "Aurora" about him, http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Aurora/Ship-Webcams/

Paul,
 ;D ;D

It's not something I will be doing again, offering out work on here, but you live and learn. :'(

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:43 pm »
Simon you talk like you are some sort of saint offering work out because you are such a helpful guy,  you are asking for help on a big job  the fact it is work for other carpet cleaners is just a side benefit,  
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

creighton foyle

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
can someone tell me why if there will be problems with the porties venting the virus back into the air you can not use a rotary such as dry fusion with a product like bactoshield . would be interested in a sensible answer as i am curious to learn these things

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »
Simon you talk like you are some sort of saint offering work out because you are such a helpful guy,  you are asking for help on a big job  the fact it is work for other carpet cleaners is just a side benefit,  

Mike,
A Saint, me ;D
Not at all, but I didn't expect the snide comments and interference when all I was trying to do was share some work about. It would probably p you off too, if you were being half honest.
I won't be doing it again, neither will others given the sheer amount of flak.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »
can you point out the snide comments & flak because I've just gone through the post and can't see it, I can see people disagreeing with your payment method  but i don't think disagreeing with you can be called flak or sniddiness. its just discussion on the topic, which is to be expected on an interesting topic like this....... you will get different points of view thrown into the mix.

This is what make it interesting,.... if you had asked for help and got 5 answers saying..... "I'll do it"       it would'nt have been half as interesting :) :)

Craigp

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »
Simon you got flak because you have not been transparent in what your paying.

Inhind sight don't you think it would be fairer to pay the same price to all? After all they will be doing the same job.

If someone finds out someone else is is getting 700 when they are getting 300 how do you think theyll feel?

jasonl

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »
Maybe something like ......

An opportunity has arisen to be part of the decontamination process on a ship in Southampton which has had a Novovirus issue.

I need people with a twin vac porty , 150 psi , who can be on site at 08:00 on 4th Jan , the pay is negotiable and will be paid in 7 days ,

Simples
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »
earlier on in the year i logged onto a website for contact cleaning with Hull University they wanted tenders for cleaning of the campus dormitories I was going to put a bid in ( but didn't bother) pity this topic wasn't going then I could have rang up the university and told them to stop mucking about and just tell me how much they wanted to pay ;D ;D

the point I'm making is Simon has just done what a lot of councils & big business do and put the work out to tender.... then invited people to put in their bid

I guess Simons motivation is maximising his own profit by accepting the lowest bids (which is actually sound business practice and exactly what I would do)

Craigp

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2011, 03:24:45 pm »
We agree on the motive.

But this isn't the same as a company/governmental tender is it.

But I see your point, depends how you view it.

Billy Russell

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:47 pm »
I think its great business by Simon!!!! probably why he's been in business so long!!! I can understand the questions etc, but at the end of the day its Simons contract, why pay 5 pairs of contractors  £600 quid across the board totalling to £3000, when 4 of the pairs are happy to do it for £ 300 each totaling to £1800 ( including the £600 from the 5th pair) £ 1200 in Simons pocket!!! Well done Simon!!!!  ;D

And no i'm not kissing is backside, because i think he's a fesup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
Billy I agree it's simple sums but if you are going to shout there's always someone to shout louder nobody should take offence it after all a discussion.

Shaun

Billy Russell

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
Billy I agree it's simple sums but if you are going to shout there's always someone to shout louder nobody should take offence it after all a discussion.

Shaun

Agreed!!!!  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »
I heard the more expensive winning bids get the liquid poo and puke cabins so they really earn it, so go in cheap!  ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:28 pm »
I heard the more expensive winning bids get the liquid poo and puke cabins so they really earn it, so go in cheap!  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Craigp

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »
Or Billy he could pay them ALL in the middle say 400 and still makes his margins then it's more fair.

Rather than some at 600 some at 300.

But I guess you can say those on lower rates have only got themselves to blame ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »
Hi Guys

No points for guessing what's going to be the main topic of conversation when all the teams turn up.

Will everyone tell the truth or will some exagerate?

Not sure if it's the best way to motivate but he who pays determines the rules.

Happy new year.

Doug

wynne jones

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:10 pm »
Doug's right there will be some awkward moments.

It's a bit like when you're sitting on a plane next to someone who tells you they paid £200 less for their ticket. Although that could be cos they have to sit next to me.  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
As I have already stated the reason for doing it this way is because I don't believe in imposing a price on people, especially on a job like this and would rather they work for me at a price they are happy with, rather than one I imposed upon them and merely take the work on the basis that they haven't got anything else to do and not be as committed as I would expect them to be to getting the job done. (been there many times before). As it is there is no great differential one guy to the next because the right kind of people know what to charge for a job like this.
I don't see what it has got to do with anyone else, most of whom have obviously never done jobs on this scale before and so can only speculate in blissful ignorance as to what they would do in the same circumstances.
I think a lot of you just don't like, or are jealous of successful people being successful, at least that is how it looks because you sure are wound up at the thought of me turning a profit on this, which just makes me laugh. ;D ;D

Simon

PaulKing

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
even if you were rung up by "Cruise ships are us" you'd  be unable to do this job without Simon, take a look at your insurance policy, bet you it says excluding: docks, ships and offshore installation such as oil rigs, or similar.  He's paid out a good amount to get that cover and to be able to sub the work out so its his show and his rules, if you don't like them, unlucky.

mike roberts

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2011, 08:42:12 pm »
This Post should not be in this area of the forum ??? Admin  ;D  ??? IF it was in the correct area may not of received same feedback !!

Simon if you lived in same town as me and won local large contract (which we quoted 4) I would be jealous and bitter no question  ;D ;D
sure its the same for the rest of the guys who dared to ask questions :P

BUT its on job on a ship  ;D southampton  ;D ;D  with an infectious bug  ;D ;D ;D     HELLO!!

Honestly....... 8) wish you all the best, Happy New year - serious note its good to hear guys are gaining these contracts !!

- as feedback would be nice to know how you deal with large clients like this accepting subbing out work, maybe be usefull in other cleaning services, Again all the best.

derek west

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »
personally, i look at it as, simon is not just offering work, he's offering a massive learning curve, for me it wouldn't be about the money, it would be about learning how a big job like this is carried out like clockwork, if it was advertised by the IICRC as a training course, alot on here would be paying £200 to go along, missed a trick there simon ;D

happy new year guys, and yes i'm tankered with a "W". hey its been 2 years so i'm allowed to let my hair down, i'll rephrase that, i'm allowed to do errrm errrm something that resembles letting my hair down but not actually letting my hair down ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2012, 11:00:40 am »
Is that double strength Viking?  ;D

PaulKing

« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2012, 11:03:34 am »
bit like a backside with the Norovirus this thread will just keep on running  ;)

derek west

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2012, 11:20:58 am »
Is that double strength Viking?  ;D

good old viking lager, those were the days. ;D

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »
even if you were rung up by "Cruise ships are us" you'd  be unable to do this job without Simon, take a look at your insurance policy, bet you it says excluding: docks, ships and offshore installation such as oil rigs, or similar.  He's paid out a good amount to get that cover and to be able to sub the work out so its his show and his rules, if you don't like them, unlucky.

Actually Paul it does'nt work like that. In cases of emergency the Port Health rules kick in and so the insurance of the contractors is not called into question (at least not the bit re working in this type of environment is concerned). Does appear to be a bit of a Dutch auction to me and would love to pull up some very contradictive posts but life's too short and that would be petty. N.B. some of you are likely to pick this virus up  :( all that said, have fun and I will waive if I see any of you as I will be working a very nearby.

Pete

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2012, 06:05:31 pm »
As I have already stated the reason for doing it this way is because I don't believe in imposing a price on people, especially on a job like this and would rather they work for me at a price they are happy with, rather than one I imposed upon them and merely take the work on the basis that they haven't got anything else to do and not be as committed as I would expect them to be to getting the job done. (been there many times before). As it is there is no great differential one guy to the next because the right kind of people know what to charge for a job like this.
I don't see what it has got to do with anyone else, most of whom have obviously never done jobs on this scale before and so can only speculate in blissful ignorance as to what they would do in the same circumstances.
I think a lot of you just don't like, or are jealous of successful people being successful, at least that is how it looks because you sure are wound up at the thought of me turning a profit on this, which just makes me laugh. ;D ;D

Simon

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just pay a decent price for good guys Simon and don't be greedy.

PaulKing

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:21 pm »
I be careful working uninsured If it was me Peter, if a machine caught fire they would be looking to blame you daily pronto and seen situations where it verbally ok turn nasty very easily. As it is Simon will have the cover so everyone working for him will too.

I can feel his Aurora getting larger http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Aurora/Ship-Webcams/

Who's going to stand at the prow at midday and wave?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

I can just see Simon stood at the bow leaning forward with his arms wide open with Jim Neil stood behind him.... then quietly in the background you hear....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYFYGCw2Kc

:D :D

Craigp

« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2012, 07:10:31 pm »
Re. Insurance you could say that about catching an office block on fire when doing an office carpet clean.

Billy Russell

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »

I can just see Simon stood at the bow leaning forward with his arms wide open with Jim Neil stood behind him.... then quietly in the background you hear....

;D ;D ;D

Jim with his pink sebo duo in one hand!!!

;D ;D ;D

Paul Moss

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Jim with his pink sebo duo in one hand!!!

;D ;D ;D

Yer in his carpet cleaning Spandex suit :-*

PaulKing

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
Re. Insurance you could say that about catching an office block on fire when doing an office carpet clean.

yes you'd be liable, the owners building insurance would kick in and they they would seek damages from you public liability.  Thats why you must have it or it would bankrupt you in the event of a claim. Didn't you not know that?

Ships and docks with all the extra dangers and tight schedules  it's a nightmare, the ones working with simon with have years of knowledge to help them and also insured for any damage under his umbrella as someone said before it's a learning opportunity.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:22 pm »

No wonder  Jims needs a longer hose its all making sense now. Going down on simon or like Titanic they will go down together :o :P ::) :'(

Craigp

« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »
Paul I did it with CLEAN a few years ago I know the procedure.

I know the purpose of insurance, but do you need special insurance for a ship job?

PaulKing

« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »
in a word yes the risks are so much higher, as i said earlier in this post most policies  exclude ships dock oil rigs and petroleum installations.

set fire to that baby, they'd want hundred million for starters

Craigp

« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2012, 07:56:11 pm »
But they wouldn't leave that to chance would they?

I mean when Pete Sweeney did it they would have asked to see insurances, cus otherwise they be left to sue Peter and I'm sure he has not got millions to pay out. Ie you cant get blood from a stone so it's in there interest to check.

So if Pete needed it he'd have had it.

PaulKing

« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
Ask pete that question i can't answer it, been asked on 50% of marine jobs for insurance certificate including marines work cover, rest of the time not, if they desperate I could see them not be too bothered but if there was a subsequent problem, and there insurers are paying out, Theni can see a whole torrent of poo heading over the hill, at this point I'd want to be insured.

As for blood out of a stone, its like this for me.
We are a limited company but that would count for Diddley squat as not having the cover in place would be a abandonment of my directorial duties and then I would be personally liable for the claim against the company, so not only would I lose my livelihood I would also lose my house/car/etc

If your a sole trader then its much simpler, your liable and they will have everything off you.

God this is a long thread,

moral of it is make sure your insured, True story three months a friends sister feel down stairs at work for a big plc, stairs cleaned that day and not dry and cleaner had taken home yellow slip signs, she's ok after a month off but company is claiming her salary plus lost productivity on the project she works on. its about £20k, his insurers quibbling as he had taken away signs so they think he's liable as it gross negligence,

Its not a massive amount but it would take most every business I know under at them moment, I'm cautious but thats just me, by all means fly close to the wind. But this is a litigious time.

Jim_77

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
Standard policy wording says something along the lines of it excludes work on hovercraft, ships, watercraft etc EXCEPT when docked.  So everyone with a half decent insurance policy should be covered.

In other words you couldn't sail your truckmount alongside the ship and clean the carpets whilst it's whilst at sea :)

My insurance policy was the first thing I checked when this job came up!

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
As said before, a special procedure kicks in (in emergencies) and the insurance is underwritten by the ships (or to the point's it's carriers) insurance. I did investigate this fully before. I realise I don't know what I'm doing but by luck it just occurred to me that this might need looking into  ;) so I did. Blimey, thank god for luck and lack of business acumen.

PaulKing

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »
sorry pete i didn't realise you meant that the ship owners underwrote it in that case your 100% right.

PaulKing

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »
regarding the prow of the ship at midday, how about a MANTANTIC pose

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »
Don't be sorry Paul, my sarcasm wasn't aimed at you, I just remember the poop and abuse I had thrown at me when I was running a similar job and it's hard to place a few reminders out there but hey, I earned well and so did everyone else so happy days. Just find some of the comments posted hilarious given the factual history  :-X

« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »
Don't be sorry Paul, my sarcasm wasn't aimed at you, I just remember the poop and abuse I had thrown at me when I was running a similar job and it's hard to place a few reminders out there but hey, I earned well and so did everyone else so happy days. Just find some of the comments posted hilarious given the factual history  :-X

I haven't forgotten either hence why I put the link to the comments from that time.

Craigp

« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
I remember it well Pete, what went around has come around ehh!

PaulKing

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:32 pm »
 see the ship just crossed the bay of biscay in this weather, you going to have your work cut out there if the norovirus didn't get them the weather will!

Huey !!!!

PaulKing